They need to Eliminate Genie Plus and Lightning Lane

Chi84

Premium Member
Being over 60, and with RA issues, I’ll pass on those “handouts” and wait my turn in line like everyone else. My pride would not allow me to do that. Have I tried Genie+? I have and don’t like it. Most likely never will in its current form. But I’ll probably do it at least one time on future trips. Like @Chi84 stated, the FastPass free ride is over with.
There's no way Disney or anyone else would extend DAS to everyone over 60 or to those with the type of issues the OP described. To be in any way beneficial, passes would have to be extended to everyone in the party and that would involve huge numbers of people. Those with ADA defined disabilities would be the ones who suffer, and no one wants that just to avoid paying for a skip the line system. I loved FP and FP+, hate Genie+ for many reasons, but that's the way to go for people who are not disabled yet have difficulties with long standby lines.

Jon81uk

They should, in the process, expand the DAS pass qualification to qualify those who are 60 and older and those with physical disabilities that make it painful to stand in a long line such as arthritis, back pain, knee replacement, autoimmune diseases, etc. They can go get a return time that is the same as the estimated wait time in the standby lane and instead of standing in line, they can go sit on a bench, go shopping or dining, go to the restroom, go watch a show, etc while waiting in line.

If someone can't stand then the best adjustment is for them to rent a wheelchair.

Weather_Lady

Club 33 used to be free and fair?
I thought club 33 was always for the super rich and had a huge initial cost and huge monthly dues?
I think they were purposely speaking in hyperbole.

I'm not sure why, though. There's no reasonable basis to compare access to what's always been an exclusive upscale dining club (or whatever Club 33 is, exactly) that was largely invisible to the public, with public access to attractions in a family theme park that was (for the past few decades) equal for anyone paying the ticket price, and has recently been changed into a tiered-price model that creates different "classes" of guest in an open and obvious way that makes guests who "only" invested in a park ticket have to be continually reminded that they're they equivalent of steerage-level passengers on the Titanic.

Last edited:

Doug Means

Unfortunately for you, Disney actively promotes itself to multi-generational families. Many older people have physical limitations short of actual disabilities that make it difficult if not impossible to continually stand in long lines all day. Also unfortunately for you, it is often these very older people who have the disposable income to take the family on Disney's ridiculously expensive vacations and Disney knows this. But have fun banging your head against the wall.
well, maybe if they made everyone stand in the same queue, then they wouldn't go and the crowds would be smaller

Chi84

Premium Member
If someone can't stand then the best adjustment is for them to rent a wheelchair.
Actually, a lot of people who are unable to stand in long lines all day do quite well with skip the line systems. They help a great deal. It's a good thing all theme parks have them, although I'll admit the free system Disney ran for over 20 years was much better than the paid one they have now.

Chi84

Premium Member
well, maybe if they made everyone stand in the same queue, then they wouldn't go and the crowds would be smaller
Same thing will happen if they have skip the line systems that a lot of people can't afford. I guess it depends on one's perspective.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think they were purposely speaking in hyperbole.

I'm not sure why, though. There's no reasonable basis to compare access to what's always been an exclusive upscale dining club (or whatever Club 33 is, exactly) that was largely invisible to the public, with public access to attractions in a family theme park that was (for the past few decades) equal for anyone paying the ticket price, and has recently been changed into a tiered-price model that creates different "classes" of guest in an open and obvious way that makes guests who "only" invested in a park ticket have to be continually reminded that they're they equivalent of steerage-level passengers on the Titanic.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think we need to remember that we're talking about classes of guests within the subset of people who have the means to go to WDW in the first place. Genie+ isn't pricing anyone out (or at least not enough people) - that's probably why it's not working. It's not decreasing standby waits and is just angering people who are now paying for a skip the line system that used to be free.

My opinion is that the reason WDW had a free skip the line system for over 20 years is that they knew a paid one - in the unique circumstances of WDW - wouldn't work. But it's a different company now - one that cares much more about money and much less about its reputation and the experience of its guests.

Personally, if we have to pay, I would love to see some version of FP+ come back because it worked so well for us. Others obviously would do better with all standby, but that would be a deal-breaker for us. People have vastly different versions of the "perfect" Disney vacation. My version includes just a few rides at times scheduled around shows, boat rides, dining, etc. I may be in the minority, but my version is just as worthy as that of someone who wants to ride every attraction in the Magic Kingdom in one day. In any event, after using Genie+ on our last family trip, we're looking into a cruise for next year.

Jon81uk

Actually, a lot of people who are unable to stand in long lines all day do quite well with skip the line systems. They help a great deal. It's a good thing all theme parks have them, although I'll admit the free system Disney ran for over 20 years was much better than the paid one they have now.

Yes but even when there was free fastpass if someone went to guest services and stated they need to skip the line because they can't stand for long periods, the answer would be to rent a wheelchair.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes but even when there was free fastpass if someone went to guest services and stated they need to skip the line because they can't stand for long periods, the answer would be to rent a wheelchair.
This is absolutely true. Skip the line systems present a great option for those who are not yet at the point of having to rent a wheelchair. Just my opinion, but Disney may actually prefer a skip the line system to one that forces more people to use scooters and wheelchairs.

jloucks

This is absolutely true. Skip the line systems present a great option for those who are not yet at the point of having to rent a wheelchair. Just my opinion, but Disney may actually prefer a skip the line system to one that forces more people to use scooters and wheelchairs.
I can stand in line, but not for 2 hours. After 30 minutes my knees and back are spent. Another reason I don't mind paying to skip lines.

I can walk just fine, so scooters make no sense. It is the standing still that hurts.

denyuntilcaught

Unfortunately for you, Disney actively promotes itself to multi-generational families. Many older people have physical limitations short of actual disabilities that make it difficult if not impossible to continually stand in long lines all day. Also unfortunately for you, it is often these very older people who have the disposable income to take the family on Disney's ridiculously expensive vacations and Disney knows this. But have fun banging your head against the wall.
There was a world even before Fastpass where people, regardless of age, had to stand in line unless they qualified for the OG DAS...

Chi84

Premium Member
There was a world even before Fastpass where people, regardless of age, had to stand in line unless they qualified for the OG DAS...
That was a world where older people and those with physical limitations short of a recognized disability couldn’t participate to the extent they can now. I like this world better.

NightGuardianAngel

Original Poster
I believe the DAS system should be expanded to those who have such physical limitations and approved on a case by case and on a needs basis. There is no one size fits all solution. There are some that are also unable to physically stand in the standby line for hours because they have a condition that causes them to need to go to the bathroom more often and are unable to hold it and there are some people with sensory disorders as well that need to wait in a quieter environment (no wheelchair or scooter can accommodate that). The DAS system is not a skip the line system and does not get you on the ride any faster than physically waiting in the standby line and only one active return time is allowed at a time. The DAS system only acts as a placeholder in the standby line and provides an alternative way to wait that will accommodate their condition.

Last edited:

WishIWasRetired

I believe the DAS system should be expanded to those who have such physical limitations and approved on a case by case and on a needs basis. There is no one size fits all solution. There are some that are also unable to physically stand in the standby line for hours because they have a condition that causes them to need to go to the bathroom more often and are unable to hold it and there are some people with sensory disorders as well that need to wait in a quieter environment (no wheelchair or scooter can accommodate that). The DAS system is not a skip the line system and does not get you on the ride any faster than physically waiting in the standby line and only one active return time is allowed at a time. The DAS system only acts as a placeholder in the standby line and provides an alternative way to wait that will accommodate their condition.

The DAS system is abused now since they cannot ask you for any type of proof I can just Imagine if they expanded it there would be people basically trying to get their Genie + for free. I do understand that is does not allow anyone to skip the Line, but I does allow you do something else in the meantime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom