They just never listen...

scoobygirl39541

Original Poster
I helped my coworker plan a trip to Disney. Gave him all the resources. A book, list of attractions that need FP+, a chart with all his dining options (plus how to make reservations, best character dining etc.), gave him a schedule with all the park hours including EMH, and a schedule of all the parades, fireworks, and shows.

Well he just got back today. I was so excited to hear what he had to say.... He said "it was ok". That's it? I asked what he did, he said the first day they walked around MK, AK, and DHS just to see what they have. What??? He's only there for 4 days... Mega waste of time. He said it got too hot walking around all those parks, so they just went shopping in DD. Again, what??? I asked if he rode anything that day, he said no.

The next day he went to MK for the full day, I asked about pirates and HM, he had no idea what I was talking about. He said he rode the train, BTMR, SM, saw the parade and fireworks, and ate at the crystal palace. That was it.

Next day they went to epcot, stayed an hour, got bored and went back to the hotel to swim. That's it for day 3.

Next they went to DHS for the day. Didn't get the TSM FP+ like I suggested, nor did they get the fantasmic dining package, nor did they even see fantasmic! o_O instead his wife shopped and they rode the ToT and the great movie ride. That's it.

Last day was AK. They rode the KS and the train. I asked about dinosaur and EE.... He said they didn't get to those rides. -_- but they did love the rainforest cafe.

So overall he liked the experience but found the rides boring with very little to do -_- They barely made any ADR like I recommended and found it difficult to get them the day of... Hmmm.

However, he had nothing but great things to say about the service, the CMs, and how they take care of everything for you.

MikeTaylorSound

Some people just have to learn by experience. I was going through some old papers (probably during tax season) and saw the printout of our first trip and realized that we had purchased the park hopper option, but didn't use it at all. There was so much to do in each park that we spent a full day in each park. That's nothing in comparison to what your coworker did.

bebert

Wow, I don't know whether to be mad or sad for the family! WDW can be an overwhelming experience for those who are not prepared. But for someone who has all of the resources and just does not use them, it only results in missed opportunities.
I completely agree with you. We have talked many of our friends into going and that is their reaction. If you are typically the lay on a beach and do nothing for a week, WDW will make your head spin.
My brother and his family went to WDW with us several years ago, he was miserable by day two and he took his family back to the hotel pool by 1:00 everyday.:banghead:
We have not been on another vacation with them since.

lunchbox1175

DW and I are dealing with a bit of this right now. Her mom and brother want to go with us on our next trip, but dad doesn't really want to go, because all he remembers is going in the middle of the summer 20 years ago and how hot and packed the parks were, all he keeps saying is "I'm not waiting 2 hours to go on some dumb ride". We keep telling him its not like that, because ... a. we always go during non-peak season b. we know how to use the fastpass system, and I never wait more than 30 minutes for a ride c. it usually isn't that hot when we go .... but he is saying he is just going to go to Epcot and hang out at the pool. Some people just don't listen to what you are telling them.

scoobygirl39541

Original Poster
However, my coworker did stress that he enjoyed the time with his family. But you're right about being so overwhelmed that retreating to the pool feels safe and familiar. That seems to be the case here as well. Ignorance is bliss.

I guess not everyone can/wants to experience Disney the way we do. I'm glad he still got the point of 'family time' but it sure is hard on us when we know what they're missing out on lol

brokedad

I helped my coworker plan a trip to Disney. Gave him all the resources. A book, list of attractions that need FP+, a chart with all his dining options (plus how to make reservations, best character dining etc.), gave him a schedule with all the park hours including EMH, and a schedule of all the parades, fireworks, and shows.

Well he just got back today. I was so excited to hear what he had to say.... He said "it was ok". That's it? I asked what he did, he said the first day they walked around MK, AK, and DHS just to see what they have. What??? He's only there for 4 days... Mega waste of time. He said it got too hot walking around all those parks, so they just went shopping in DD. Again, what??? I asked if he rode anything that day, he said no.

The next day he went to MK for the full day, I asked about pirates and HM, he had no idea what I was talking about. He said he rode the train, BTMR, SM, saw the parade and fireworks, and ate at the crystal palace. That was it.

Next day they went to epcot, stayed an hour, got bored and went back to the hotel to swim. That's it for day 3.

Next they went to DHS for the day. Didn't get the TSM FP+ like I suggested, nor did they get the fantasmic dining package, nor did they even see fantasmic! o_O instead his wife shopped and they rode the ToT and the great movie ride. That's it.

Last day was AK. They rode the KS and the train. I asked about dinosaur and EE.... He said they didn't get to those rides. -_- but they did love the rainforest cafe.

So overall he liked the experience but found the rides boring with very little to do -_- They barely made any ADR like I recommended and found it difficult to get them the day of... Hmmm.

However, he had nothing but great things to say about the service, the CMs, and how they take care of everything for you.
I totally get where he is coming from, I was pretty much the same way. I thought the monorail back to the car was the best ride all day, until my daughter was about 3. Learning to move slow and hit up all the little kid rides and just take my time and take in all of the surroundings did I start enjoying it. As she got a little taller and could do more things it was my idea to keep going back and of course she never said no. We started to explore and stay at their resorts and and bought AP's, now we probably go twice a month or more. There is so much to learn and it is very confusing for new people to actually enjoy themselves and to always need to now the time and schedule for everything, it can be a turn off.

Kuzcotopia

However, my coworker did stress that he enjoyed the time with his family. But you're right about being so overwhelmed that retreating to the pool feels safe and familiar. That seems to be the case here as well. Ignorance is bliss.

I guess not everyone can/wants to experience Disney the way we do. I'm glad he still got the point of 'family time' but it sure is hard on us when we know what they're missing out on lol

I think this is the important part. I think your coworker could have saved ALOT of money going somewhere else to get the same experience though.

Not to be nosy, but how old were the kids?

graphite1326

I had almost the same experience with one of my co-workers. I no longer give advise.

Goofyernmost

That happened to me years ago. I might have already told this story, if I have, I apologize in advance.

A co-worker decided due to my rantings about WDW that she and her husband wanted to go. Bare in mind that this was before FP or ADR's or anything like that.

She asked me for advice, which I gladly gave her. I lent them my videos and every piece of printed information that I had. She never asked me any questions and I guess that should have been my clue.

Anyway, they go and spend a week, at the Poly, I believe. When they returned I couldn't wait to hear about their trip. When I asked, she told me that she was never going again. They had never been so bored in their whole lives and felt it was a total waste of money.

Upon quizzing her, I asked what rides they went on. She said the only rides there were little kids rides like Dumbo, Carousel, Tea Cups and the Grand Prix and any of the others cost to much to go on. I had to ask more to find out what had happened. This is the result. They saw the kids rides and weren't interested in them. (totally understood that) Someone had told them that if they wanted to ride the "other" visible rides like BTMR or even the Riverboat, there was an additional charge, they believed them and didn't want to pay extra. When I asked about Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peter Pan, CoP, and the other internal rides, she just told me that they saw the signs but knew that they were nothing but gift shops and kept walking by. They did the same thing at Epcot. I wanted so badly to say... how stupid are you anyway, but refrained due to the fact that I still had to work with her.

She said that was it... no more WDW and that next year they were going to take a cruise. I left before that happened but I suspect that they stood on the dock and watched the ship leave and then went home and complained about how bored they were. :rolleyes::banghead::joyfull:

scoobygirl39541

Original Poster
What hotel did they stay at? if AKL or Yacht/Beach then I don't blame them picking the pool over the parks!

They stayed at POP and had to get 2 rooms. I advised him to get a suite at Saratoga Springs because the price was only like $300 more total for a deluxe where they could all stay in one room. I pleaded my case and made him a spreadsheet explaining the room types and prices. A week after this he came into work saying he booked his trip.... at POP -_- now I have nothing against the value resorts, but this guy makes substantial income and this is probably his only trip to wdw ever. Just spend the extra $300.

Last edited:

R W B

That happened to me years ago. I might have already told this story, if I have, I apologize in advance.

A co-worker decided due to my rantings about WDW that she and her husband wanted to go. Bare in mind that this was before FP or ADR's or anything like that.

She asked me for advice, which I gladly gave her. I lent them my videos and every piece of printed information that I had. She never asked me any questions and I guess that should have been my clue.

Anyway, they go and spend a week, at the Poly, I believe. When they returned I couldn't wait to hear about their trip. When I asked, she told me that she was never going again. They had never been so bored in their whole lives and felt it was a total waste of money.

Upon quizzing her, I asked what rides they went on. She said the only rides there were little kids rides like Dumbo, Carousel, Tea Cups and the Grand Prix and any of the others cost to much to go on. I had to ask more to find out what had happened. This is the result. They saw the kids rides and weren't interested in them. (totally understood that) Someone had told them that if they wanted to ride the "other" visible rides like BTMR or even the Riverboat, there was an additional charge, they believed them and didn't want to pay extra. When I asked about Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peter Pan, CoP, and the other internal rides, she just told me that they saw the signs but knew that they were nothing but gift shops and kept walking by. They did the same thing at Epcot. I wanted so badly to say... how stupid are you anyway, but refrained due to the fact that I still had to work with her.

She said that was it... no more WDW and that next year they were going to take a cruise. I left before that happened but I suspect that they stood on the dock and watched the ship leave and then went home and complained about how bored they were. :rolleyes::banghead::joyfull:
Did you tell them they were given bad information and the rides didnt cost more...and those gift shops have rides attached to them too?

Imagine how tough it would be to get on the rides if everyone did the right thing at Disney? I hate to say it, but it makes our trips easier if people do it wrong.
I have friends who visited 2 years before we took our kids for the first time. we mentioned we were going to start planning a trip and they told us about their horrible trip. They slept until noon, got to the parks midday, waited hours on lines, didn't make reservations for dinner and were angry when they couldn't get in anyplace, and then tried to get counter service at peak times, tried to show up for parades fie minutes into the parade and couldn't see over people.....the list was endless.
I hadn't been to Disney since 1988 so I decided that rather than not go to Disney I would find the way to make it work. These boards (and the old TGM one) saved me. We went peak time in July, never waited more than fifteen minutes on a line and saw so much. We did do a lot of relaxing by the Poly pool in the middle of the day to avoid crowds and heat, but still managed to see so much.
We are going again this summer and I am thankful again for these boards to help me plan.

Spikerdink

I, like many others here, have offered advice to those heading to WDW who are not experienced in all the things needed to make to make it a memorable trip.

Last year I worked with a friend who was treating her son, DIL, two grandkids, her Exhub and his new wife, and her brother and his wife to a trip. I tried to talk her into renting a villa at DVC, but she went off property. I sat with her many days going over how she should handle things, making ADRs, planning fast pass, etc.

I knew going in that she had very high expectations for the trip and kept going over ways to make it all happen. I drove her and her husband to the airport and even as I did that I was spouting advice..(I should have just went along as a tour guide).

Anyway, all my advice went out the window as her ex was 'bored' and just wanted to stay at the hotel. Her son was a wet rag and didn't want to plan out anything, and did his best to undermine the entire trip. (As an aside, after the trip the son stopped talking to his father and barely speaks to his mother....)

When she came back, you could tell the trip was not what she had built up in her mind. She wanted to do everything right, but the ex and the son made the trip a nightmare. I felt horrible for her - knowing how great a well planned trip with a group who wants to do things and bond can be and how her trip was anything but....

I am heading back in September with a few friends....and they have told me straight up that I am planning and they are doing - whatever I have for them to do they know they will enjoy and have a great time.

Goofyernmost

Did you tell them they were given bad information and the rides didnt cost more...and those gift shops have rides attached to them too?
Of course I did, when I wasn't laughing. What idiots. I didn't think I knew anyone that foolish. It seems that by accident one would stumble upon an inside attraction and then add two and two together and think, hey, there might be more. I have a hard time believing it to this very day, but, it happened and since then I only help when I hear something that is so outrageous or incorrect that I cannot overcome the compulsion to correct it.

The one I hear the most now is how they cannot afford to pay for fastpasses so they are going to just go to the standby lines. That I do correct, but, over half the time I get the feeling that they just respond positively to get me to stop. They know better and will continue to stick to their plan. Who cares really. It's their problem.

Weather_Lady

I, like many others here, have offered advice to those heading to WDW who are not experienced in all the things needed to make to make it a memorable trip.

I am heading back in September with a few friends....and they have told me straight up that I am planning and they are doing - whatever I have for them to do they know they will enjoy and have a great time.

Your friends are wise! We just returned from a trip with my DH and two kids, father and maternal aunt, and the other adults all had the same sentiment: "You plan it and we'll do it." So I planned everything out -- from accommodations to ADRs to Fastpasses -- as thoughtfully and intelligently as I could, we all showed up with a positive attitude, a willingness to be flexible and a dose of good humor, and we all had an absolutely wonderful time. I am convinced that when you travel with others, the success of the trip has about 10% to do with where you go and what you do, and 90% to do with your companions' attitudes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom