There were plans for a Tron ride!!!!!

martinthesparta

Original Poster
I found a tony baxter interview with a small mention of a tron ride and wanted to share.

"And we did a Tron ride. That movie came out and it did not do that well. We did put in a little short Ride through the World of Tron on the PeopleMover. It is also used in the General Motors pavilion in EPCOT. That's all that became of it."

Lots of other interesting stuff in this lengthy article. Go to ask jeeves and type in tron ride and look for tony baxter.

bhg469

That would have made my life complete. When i was little i used to pretend my big wheel was a light cycle but i could never corner as well as they did. Maybe me new subaru will make a better attempt.

chotasahib

Originally posted by bhg469
When i was little i used to pretend my big wheel was a light cycle but i could never corner as well as they did. Maybe me new subaru will make a better attempt.
Oh yeah, good times! Suddenly my buddies and I were throwing frisbees at--not to--one another. "Hey! I derez'd you first!" ... "Did not!"

And yes, a ride would've been immensely cool!

ArsonWinter

Tron should still be made into an attraction...

Something similar (or a replacement for) Voyage of the Little Mermaid... with a sequence where miniature light cycles race over the heads of the audience. The pre-show could happen in the real world, with guests "transmitted" into the computer world. The pre-show could be in the same kind of science resarch lab as in the film. With tons of special effects, classic blacklighting, and an arcade/shop at the end (of course, this is Mike Eisner's Disney), who wouldn't want to see this?

Edit: Of course, after I posted, I realized today they'll use fiber optics for all the costumes, ect.

Pirate665

A Tron ride would rock! Man... I used to dream I could ride those lightcycles. I once tried to get my Ranger to corner like one. Didn't roll it, but damn well came near it.

martinthesparta

Original Poster
Wow, after all the times I posted my own ideas for a tron attraction, I actually find a few people that want to see one built. Suddenly I don't feel quite so alone here. Ok, I'll pass my idea by you people and see what you think. I say remove the tommorrowland speedway and put it in epcot next to test track, and build a tron 2.0 lightcycles attraction at that cite in tommorrowland. I'm not sure the technology that would be used, especially for the turns, but maybe something simular to the indy tech. A physically constructed environment for the ride itself would be cool, but if they have to use a screen like on spiderman then fine. As for the preshow and queue, definetly start in the lab and get transported to the tron universe, maybe the guests can all wear goggles which depict their transportation so the room can turn around(a machine simular to COP), and then when they take the goggles off they are in the tron universe. And sound effects are vital, especially the footstep noises. And the rest of the queue would be in the light cycle holding pit from tron 2.0(the story itself could be based on 2.0 or a whole new story line). Hope some of that made sense and wasn't just rambling. Does anyone have any clue as to what the original attraction was to be?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by martinthesparta
"And we did a Tron ride. That movie came out and it did not do that well. We did put in a little short Ride through the World of Tron on the PeopleMover. It is also used in the General Motors pavilion in EPCOT. That's all that became of it."

Yep, Tony is reffering to the speed tunnels in those particular rides - they used the CG images from the film when Flint was sucked into the MCP.

pilka214

a tron ride would rock....... they should re-release the movie and then if it sells really well make a ride. and if the movie still doesnt do well.... still make a ride of it. even if it is just like a coaster in the dark. yah a new kind of coaster that looks like a new advanced light cycle, with a larger seating area. with black lights a flourescent colors it would be awesome. i am going to go post this right now in the imagineering section.

martinthesparta

Original Poster
Re: Re: There were plans for a Tron ride!!!!!

Originally posted by marni1971
Originally posted by martinthesparta

Yep, Tony is reffering to the speed tunnels in those particular rides - they used the CG images from the film when Flint was sucked into the MCP.

I know that, but he's saying they drew up plans for a tron ride, and when the movie did poorly, regulated the plans to short sections of WOM and people mover, but an actual tron ride was in the works unless I'm reading it wrong.

bhg469

Originally posted by pilka214
a tron ride would rock....... they should re-release the movie and then if it sells really well make a ride. and if the movie still doesnt do well.... still make a ride of it. even if it is just like a coaster in the dark. yah a new kind of coaster that looks like a new advanced light cycle, with a larger seating area. with black lights a flourescent colors it would be awesome. i am going to go post this right now in the imagineering section.

how cool would it be for a RnRc type coaster but a racer with the lights and stuff the track could light up as the coaster moves and people could watch it from an observation room, that would be so "phat"

DarkMeasures

How about instead of just Riding a ride, you actually get transported into the world of Tron and a part of the world?

I posted the idea in Martina's topic but here's a basic overview:

-Real World vs. Tron World Arcade games
-Light Cycle Cave Simulator
-Lazer Tag
-Disks of Tron game maybe

But for a big ride? Nah... To be part of the actual world would be better. Especially for the digitisation........ Like the lazer effect on Journey into Your Imagination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom