Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

TP2000

I hope Newsom’s Plumpjack Winery burned down.

On the contrary, Napa County had its cases per 100,000 metric revised down from the actual 4.4 to 3.6. That allowed it to move down into the Orange Tier today!

Effective today, Governor Newsom can now reopen Plumpjack Winery's indoor tasting rooms and food service just in time for the chillier fall weather! Plan a visit, bring the kids! Who needs low-class theme parks?!

Scoots71

Reader's Digest Version:

Disneyland will remain closed at least until the summer of 2021, when OC enters the Yellow Tier.

Unless Governor Newsom suddenly amends or rescinds the rules he just laid out today.

And when Disneyland can reopen, they can't use the indoor queue at Tony's Indiana Jones Adventure.

Also keep in mind those rules laid out say that only outdoor areas and attractions can be opened.

Think about how few attractions are actually outdoors. In DLP, that's really only Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Gadgets Go Coaster, Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, and Autopia.
In DCA, Pixar Pier minus TSMM, Cars Land, and Grizzly River Run.

Even under those guidelines, it's a losing proposition.

fctiger

Being free on NJ I generally lean liberal on most topics and absolutely despise the current president , but anyone with even half a brain knows these guidelines are an example of the cure being worse than the disease. 5 cases per 100k to reopen , is he smoking crack ?

I have no issue with severe guidelines IF other parks in the country and globally were doing poorly WITH the restrictions they have. But none of these parks from Shanghai Disney to WDW has created any major outbreaks so far and they been open since the summer. California does have tons of cases but positivity rates are still lower than the national average.

I get there is a fear of the second wave and all of that, but if things did get bad, they can shut them down again. Hong Kong did just that but reopened a few months later and been fine since.

TP2000

Being free on NJ I generally lean liberal on most topics and absolutely despise the current president , but anyone with even half a brain knows these guidelines are an example of the cure being worse than the disease. 5 cases per 100k to reopen , is he smoking crack ?

It's worse than that. It's 1 case per 100,000 people for Disneyland to reopen. And then they can only reopen at 25% capacity once Orange County (Population 3.2 Million) reaches 1 case per 100,000.

TP2000

Also keep in mind those rules laid out say that only outdoor areas and attractions can be opened.

Think about how few attractions are actually outdoors. In DLP, that's really only Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Gadgets Go Coaster, Dumbo, and Autopia.

Exactly. The whole "indoor attractions" must remain closed thing is odd.

I need to go read it again, but perhaps most of but Disneyland's rides would not be able to reopen? Pirates, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Star Wars Land, etc., etc.

EDIT: I checked. It seems that in the Yellow Tier indoor rides can operate, they just can't have their indoor queues in use as it describes several pages later in the PDF file.

I have no idea what that means for things like Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Millennium Falcon, Star Tours, Soarin', etc.; they'd have to keep the queue outdoors and then let in small batches of people to walk directly through the entire indoor queue area right into the loading dock?

From the PDF file....

• Yellow – Minimal – Tier 4: Operations are permitted for all amusement park operators with the following modifications:
o Capacity must be limited to 25% of total facility occupancy based on the design/operating capacity or fire department occupant limit, whichever is fewer.
o Capacity on all indoor dining and drinking establishments within the park must be limited to 25%.

• Install Plexiglass dividers on switchback lines/queues, including queuing areas for rides and attractions, or close sections of switchback lines/queues to ensure sufficient physical distance between visitors.
  • All queuing must be performed in outdoor settings only. No indoor queuing is allowed for any attraction or ride. For indoor attractions and rides, develop an outdoor queuing system prior to entry into the attraction’s indoor operation. Install impermeable barriers between lines with switchback queuing areas or close sections of switchback lines/queues to ensure sufficient physical distance between visitors.

Last edited:

Gottalovepluto

It's worse than that. It's 1 case per 100,000 people for Disneyland to reopen. And then they can only reopen at 25% capacity once Orange County (Population 3.2 Million) reaches 1 case per 100,000.
Well SF is 2.5 but through “adjustments” got to 1.5 and for magical reasons (cause last I checked 1.5 was not “<1”) have been deemed “yellow” so if OC can learn these magical manipulations maybe they too can do the mathematically impossible 😂

mlayton144

this is a disgrace and beyond any reasonable common sense . Instead of just shutting down, follow the science and implement measures to live and work with COVID out there with the real life case studies already in practice.

George Lucas on a Bench

No way they could operate Haunted Mansion, for instance. People have to queue indoors and/or have to use the elevators to get in. Every indoor attraction with ride vehicle loading inside requires queuing indoors. How in God's name could you eliminate that? You can't. These Guidelines are designed to keep these parks from operating. They're not realistic in any way.

fctiger

Think about how few attractions are actually outdoors. In DLP, that's really only Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Gadgets Go Coaster, Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, and Autopia.

What's worse is literally the best attractions DLR has minus a few are indoor attractions. All the newest rides in SWL and upcoming Spider Man ride in AC are all indoors.

And USH shouldn't even bother since that place doesn't have one major ride outdoors. These rules are bonkers.

Scoots71

Exactly. The whole "indoor attractions" must remain closed thing is odd.

I need to go read it again, but perhaps most of but Disneyland's rides would not be able to reopen? Pirates, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Star Wars Land, etc., etc.

EDIT: I checked. It seems that in the Yellow Tier indoor rides can operate, they just can't have their indoor queues in use as it describes several pages later in the PDF file.

I have no idea what that means for things like Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Millennium Falcon, Star Tours, Soarin', etc.; they'd have to keep the queue outdoors and then let in small batches of people to walk directly through the entire indoor queue area right into the loading dock?

From the PDF file....

• Yellow – Minimal – Tier 4: Operations are permitted for all amusement park operators with the following modifications:
o Capacity must be limited to 25% of total facility occupancy based on the design/operating capacity or fire department occupant limit, whichever is fewer.
o Capacity on all indoor dining and drinking establishments within the park must be limited to 25%.

• Install Plexiglass dividers on switchback lines/queues, including queuing areas for rides and attractions, or close sections of switchback lines/queues to ensure sufficient physical distance between visitors.
  • All queuing must be performed in outdoor settings only. No indoor queuing is allowed for any attraction or ride. For indoor attractions and rides, develop an outdoor queuing system prior to entry into the attraction’s indoor operation. Install impermeable barriers between lines with switchback queuing areas or close sections of switchback lines/queues to ensure sufficient physical distance between visitors.

That'd not as bad, but still a royal PITA.

TP2000

What's worse is literally the best attractions DLR has minus a few are indoor attractions. All the newest rides in SWL and upcoming Spider Man ride in AC are all indoors.

And USH shouldn't even bother since that place doesn't have one major ride outdoors. These rules are bonkers.

Universal Studios could operate the tram tour and that weird roller coaster with the giant chicken in Harry Potter Land. Also the Waterworld show at 25% capacity.

Nothing else in Universal Studios could operate, even if LA County gets to the Yellow Tier in 2022. And that giant chicken is going to need a mask.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Stevek

Original Poster
As long as Orange County is in the Orange or Yellow Tier when hockey season starts, I’ll be good. I’m guessing the Kings, Lakers, and Clippers will move their games to Honda Center if they want fans attending.
Interesting thought. I could get behind the Kings playing some games here though my gut tells me they would just play in an empty staples.

fctiger

Universal Studios could operate the tram tour and that little roller coaster with the giant chicken in Harry Potter Land. Also the Waterworld show at 25% capacity.

Nothing else in Universal Studios could operate, even if LA County gets to the Yellow Tier in 2022.

Yeah USH is definitely the one hurt the most by these guidelines. There already isn't much there to do beyond a day and practically every major attraction is exempt minus the tram tour. On the other end SFMM will probably be in the best situation whenever they could open. That is probably the most outdoor park in SoCal easily.

Maybe we are getting this part wrong and they just mean limiting indoor queues? To me, this is just as bad as being in the yellow tier because you are limiting 60% of the major attractions in DLR...but still paying the same price? This isn't going to jive with most people even if the parks opened tomorrow.

Stevek

Original Poster
Well, Sacramento has already stated they are going to slow-walk the availability of the vaccine in California. They do not trust the Trump administration's management of the FDA and CDC and want California bureaucrats to give any Trump approved vaccine "a California stamp of approval".

That will add additional time onto when the vaccine is available for Californians.

I'm going to Vegas to get my free Covid shot at the Caesar's Palace buffet. :cool:

Road trip. Let’s rent a bus full of board members!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom