Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

DrAlice

We pretty much knew this was going to be the result when Iger left the committee. So much for all the subsequent Disney bluster.

I'm on the "proceed with caution" end of the argument spectrum, and even I think this is ridiculous. The yellow tier at only 25% capacity? Why not have the gonads to call it what it is: you can't open until there is a vaccine. Frankly, I'm not sure that the govt. should be saying that to ANY business unless they are willing to back it up with some financial assistance.

Feeling for you today, @Darkbeer1. Your phone must be ringing off the hook.

My heart goes out to all the cast members and surrounding business staff and owners for the economic hardships to come. This too, shall pass. <3

Communicora

Premium Member
From the guidelines, read this requirement for cleaning ride vehicles after each ride cycle.

Then imagine how this could work for high-capacity rides that are basically constantly moving with only seconds between the time a person leaves the vehicle and the time new people get in like Pirates of the Caribbean, It's A Small World, Little Mermaid, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones, Radiator Racers, etc., etc.

• Cleaning and disinfecting protocols are important for high-touch surfaces on rides and attractions. Regularly clean and disinfect all surfaces frequently touched by guests or workers, including handrails, arm rests, restraints, lap bars, grips, seatbelts, over-the-shoulder harnesses, etc. Develop the frequency and approach to the cleaning and disinfecting process in accordance with the cleaning product instructions and the ride manufacturer’s directions and based on the type of surface being cleaned. Make sure virus kill times and drying times are considered prior to opening the attraction or loading guests for the next cycle. Make sure the ride is secured and follow appropriate hazardous energy control procedures (including safety “lock out, tag out” as needed) so workers can safely access the areas they need to clean.
I don't think it is saying it needs to be cleaned for each ride cycle. Rather it says when you do regularly clean and disinfect to make sure you are leaving the disinfectant on long enough to kill the virus/dry depending on the product's instructions.

TP2000

From the guidelines, here's another rule that makes the operation of Disneyland a complete nightmare if it ever reaches the mythical Yellow Tier.

• All queuing must be performed in outdoor settings only. No indoor queuing is allowed for any attraction or ride. For indoor attractions and rides, develop an outdoor queuing system prior to entry into the attraction’s indoor operation. Install impermeable barriers between lines with switchback queuing areas or close sections of switchback lines/queues to ensure sufficient physical distance between visitors.

el_super

This isn't really surprising or unexpected. Maybe the only part that is a surprise, is how little Disney's "discussion" was able to persuade them from straying from their ultimate goals of being safe.

If you want Disneyland to reopen, do everything you can to support OC and Anaheim moving into the Yellow Tier: send a message to the Board of Supervisors and Anaheim City Council telling them you want to see more being done to control the spread of the virus. Tell them you want to see more enforcement of mask wearing and social distancing. Tell them you want responsible re-openings to include reducing unnecessary interactions, allowing people to work from home and discontinue friendly gatherings and business luncheons.

We absolutely could have been done with this by now, if people hadn't been so resistant to obvious safety precautions during a pandemic.

Wear a mask and wash your hands.

DrAlice

From the guidelines, here's another rule that makes the operation of Disneyland a complete nightmare if it ever reaches the mythical Yellow Tier.

• All queuing must be performed in outdoor settings only. No indoor queuing is allowed for any attraction or ride. For indoor attractions and rides, develop an outdoor queuing system prior to entry into the attraction’s indoor operation. Install impermeable barriers between lines with switchback queuing areas or close sections of switchback lines/queues to ensure sufficient physical distance between visitors.
Wait... I thought they couldn't have indoor rides. Or am I thinking of the smaller parks at the orange tier?

TP2000

I don't think it is saying it needs to be cleaned for each ride cycle. Rather it says when you do regularly clean and disinfect to make sure you are leaving the disinfectant on long enough to kill the virus/dry depending on the product's instructions.

Not when you consider the other part of that guideline; employee hand washing each time they check a lap bar or touch a ride vehicle. This is ride disinfectant/cleaning guideline is basically saying clean each surface after a group of riders touches it, and the employees too.

• If workers must use their hands to ensure a gate is locked and ride is secured, those workers must wash or sanitize their hands before moving on to another task.
  • Carefully evaluate attractions that require time-consuming personal harnessing like ropes courses, climbing walls, and steel-cable swing rides because of the difficulty managing physical distancing during the harnessing process. The increased cleaning and disinfecting of the harnesses and other equipment between each use may also be difficult.
  • Workers conducting maintenance and inspection activities must be provided with and utilize nonporous gloves and face coverings. After inspection or maintenance activities are complete, the ride must be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected prior to allowing patron access to the ride.

DrAlice

So, just for conversation sake.... Who are the "small parks"?

Here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

Gilroy Gardens
Santa Cruz Beach & Boardwalk
Funderland (Sacramento - Land Park)

I know there are more......

flutas

Gilroy Gardens

Pacific Park in Santa Monica is another one.

ToTBellHop

Gilroy Gardens

Disneyland should temporarily split up. $20 to enter Adventureland. $20 for Frontierland. $30 for Fantasyland. They pay you $50 to go to SWGE.

Mouse Trap

I do think this was an incredibly insane decision barring parks from opening until 2021, but I also do think theme parks will eventually get the same treatment as personal care services today and were magically told they could now resume operations indoors statewide.

Theme parks still won't get the easy way out, but modifications will come -- the color tiered system just doesn't work.

el_super

I'm really curious to know if Knott's fits into that category. They mentioned an average of about 15,000 guests per day, that would work out to 5.4 million attendance per year. The last AECOM estimate had them at slightly over 4 million. That said, 500 guests per day may still be a deal breaker for them.

flutas

I'm really curious to know if Knott's fits into that category. They mentioned an average of about 15,000 guests per day, that would work out to 5.4 million attendance per year. The last AECOM estimate had them at slightly over 4 million. That said, 500 guests per day may still be a deal breaker for them.
I feel like they would probably have more revenue from the current food festivals then even trying to open as a park for 500.

mlayton144

I think they should get the 18 wheelers queued up for the move to Texas , I bet they would be able to open sooner in Austin than Anaheim

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom