The Zip Pa Dee Doo Da Road

jayrose

Original Poster
I heard that in The World there is a road that when you drive over it at 20 MPH, it plays the Zip Pa Dee Doo Da song.

Is this true? And if so where could I find it? Thanks

Figment82

It no longer exists, but it's the old STOL-port runway that runs along the monorail track to Epcot. As you drive towards the MK resort area, it's on your right.

DizFanatic

I've heard about this before, but never knew if it was true or not. My guess is that if it is (or was) true, it would have been achieved by grooving the road, similar to the grooves that some highways have on the sholders to alert you that you are running off the road. Or the raised paint striped that are on the road before you get to a toll booth to alert you.

If this is just a rumor, I think it's a great idea anyway that would be a nice addition to the roads entering the parking lot toll gates. It could just play the first few notes. It could simply be achieved by varying the width & spacing between each groove in the road. I think that would be a cool way to enter the world, don't you?:wave:

Happy New Year to ALL!!!

TheKeeler7

From what I have read it is true. And your right it's done with grooves (rumble strips) at well timed intervals, Thus the need for a specific speed. It was done at the STOLPort as an experiment to see how well it could be adapted else where.

WDWFigment

From what I understand, driving in the grooved areas on the shoulder of the road is bad for your tires. Wouldn't the same hold true with this?

Timon

The man behind the Musical Roadway project

The Musical Roadway was indeed an experiment BUT not by Imagineering. Tim Sprunger of the former Disney MultiMedia Group, invented the concept and made a removable one foot by 100 foot strip which had small raised ridges spaced to create an vibrating tone. For test purposes you would approach the strip at about 30-40 mph and pass the driver side tires over it. Tim made a video of this using my White Firebird. It seems nice wide tires sounded best. His plans would have had permanent ridges applied all the way across several locations on World Drive and Epcot Drive, made of epoxy and special grit for all for wheels (surround sound:ROFLOL:)

Tim tried to get Imagineering interested but they wanted to own the patent and give Tim a token fee and cut him out of any involvement with his project. Needless to say he still has the strip (he keeps everything) and probably the video. Tim is a incredibly creative artist, musician and inventor and lives in Kissimmee.

dandaman

^Excellent info there!

From that article link, I went to another site and scrolled a bit down...

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/FL/Airfields_FL_OrlandoSW.htm#disney

...Apparently when Mickey Mouse One (Walt's private plane) was to be put in the MGM boneyard, it didn't get clearance to land at LBV STOL due to the "new" Epcot monorail track adjacent to it. So they improvised... they shut down World Drive and used it as a landing strip instead. :lol:

However, near the bottom, it goes on to say that it's still in use, though obviously not to the public. It's been used for aircraft as recently as 2006 for one of President Bush's visits.

chinitopoop

i've never heard of this before but i like the idea of it, they should plant speakers along the roads over the whole wdw property, from the entrance to the exit and play music appropriate to the area your driving through ex. "when you wish upon a star " at the welcome gates being that, that song is like disney's anthem imo.... god i wish i was an imagineer, i have too many ideas i want to share with them lol

hauntdmansion79

The Musical Roadway was indeed an experiment BUT not by Imagineering. Tim Sprunger of the former Disney MultiMedia Group, invented the concept and made a removable one foot by 100 foot strip which had small raised ridges spaced to create an vibrating tone. For test purposes you would approach the strip at about 30-40 mph and pass the driver side tires over it. Tim made a video of this using my White Firebird. It seems nice wide tires sounded best. His plans would have had permanent ridges applied all the way across several locations on World Drive and Epcot Drive, made of epoxy and special grit for all for wheels (surround sound:ROFLOL:)

Tim tried to get Imagineering interested but they wanted to own the patent and give Tim a token fee and cut him out of any involvement with his project. Needless to say he still has the strip (he keeps everything) and probably the video. Tim is a incredibly creative artist, musician and inventor and lives in Kissimmee.

Wow, that is solid, first hand, thorough information right there. If only all our questions on WDW Magic boards could be answered like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom