The Worst Thing to Happen to Walt Disney World

Enderikari

Original Poster
Amongst all the glitz and glitter of the Happiest Celebration on Earth, in the wake of all the successful attractions that Walt Disney World has opened in the past 15 years, in spite of the parks being as visited as ever, making Walt Disney World one of the most visited vacation destinations in the world; there is still one glaring thing that is working against. One glaring omission, a blind spot, something that fights against the magic that WDW stands for, but which the Walt Disney Company is unable to control.

Ladies and Gentlemen, that black spot is the Internet.

People used to wonder about how things at Walt Disney World worked, marvel at the the attractions, and be amazed that WDW could do it all over again. A person riding Haunted Mansion would feel that creative spark and start creating their story for how that attraction came to be. People would laugh at the jokes in the Jungle Cruise because they had never heard them before. When Disney was building a new attraction, it was the mystic quality of word-of-mouth that got people excited about seeing the attraction.

But... not anymore. The magic of Disney is a lot like faith, it is something that is never supposed to be completely understood. A quick jaunt to the internet reveals all the secrets of Disney, simply so one webmaster can show how much he loves the attraction and feel superior to everyone else.

There are no surprises at Walt Disney World anymore. The magic of turning a corner and seeing something new is being stolen away. Whenever Disney starts a new project, internet junkies descend like vultures pecking away at any little bits of information they can find, real or imaginary. Internet armchair Imagineers criticize projects that they couldn't possibly fathom anything but the most cursory bits of the process. Disney can't build an attraction without thousands of people critiquing and second-guessing the project every step of the way. The dissemination of information has been a bane on Walt Disney World...

It's not the World that is changing, it's the guests. No longer do they stay up nights anticipating that one magical vacation. Having Walt Disney World constantly on the minds of guests you would think would be positive, but I argue that it is detrimental, because Walt Disney World is becoming "familiar." The more one reads about Walt Disney World, the more familiar they become with it, the more "real world" it seems. The familiarity chips away at the magical experience, and its a familiarity that hasn't been earned, the way an Imagineer has earned it. In short, its familiarity without comprehension, without an understanding of the underlying currents which cause that aspect of WDW to exist.

Its human nature to build up something only for interests of tearing it down. Look at the way society treats its actors or other celebrities, they turn them into stars, then tear away at them to make them human. Unfortunately, Disney seems to suffer the same fate. WDW is held to an impossibly high standard, and a certain group of people seem to delight in pointing out the fallibilities instead of enjoying the magic (D-Troops, MiceAge, Jim Hill). Through pure demagoguery, these useless folks define their existence on having people read what they write, they are addicted to it. They are addicted to the rush of having people agree with them, no matter what they say. And its sad to say that they have those people agree with their ludicrous statements on a frightening level. But, what do they do when the real information runs out? They only have two choices... The first choice is easy, start writing about their own opinions, trying to shape the impressionable minds of their readers, getting the rush of power that comes from making somebody think they way they do. The second option is just as prevalent, and more than a little scarier, they make stuff up.

A paint chip will be repainted by the decorators of WDW as soon as it is discovered and called in, in many cases this will be overnight. However, there are people who will take a picture of that paint chip, or that broken bulb, and put it out on the internet where it will live forever... No understanding, no comprehension, just supposed familiarity. These people are the ones I don't understand, because they hate Walt Disney World... They hate going there, they only get angry being there, and want everyone else to be as angry... They want to tear Disney down. They talk about the people running the place with such hatred that I can only see coming from unabashed jealousy. They hate the park because they don't run the park. Just like those Monday Night Football armchair quarterbacks, they are really good at making decisions that they physically aren't able to follow through with. They understand how the game works, but they really don't comprehend the overall gameplan of the team.

I like WDWMagic, Steve is good at keeping people excited about the things that are coming, at looking at Walt Disney World in a positive light. And I am all for the discussion of Walt Disney World, I love reading trip reports and seeing how much fun people are having. I love seeing people ask simple questions and watch forum members jump at the chance to help their vacation plans out. All of my photo trip reports have struck a chord in select members simply because of they can see pictures of someone who still enjoys going to Walt Disney World, who still believes there is one Mickey Mouse, who still loves experiencing a ride for the first time by ACTUALLY RIDING IT.

Find that magic everyone, there is no reason not believe there is only one Mickey Mouse, there is no reason to actively seek out reasons to be disappointed, there is no reason to be dissatisfied because Stitch's Great Escape wasn't made for you.

There is reason for fun, and laughter, and joy.... and Magic

dxwwf3

I agree that the internet, videos, audio, and pictures from the parks all on my computer does take a little away from the magic of being there. But that "magic" doesn't disappear. It is just simply spread across every day of the year. Sure there aren't many surprises anymore, but there are still so many that not all of them are reported on. I'm glad that some people let Disney know when quality is slipping and most of the time, those things get changed. Usually when chipped paint is shown on the net, it's fixed within six months. And that is a good thing. So I guess I agree with part of the post and completely disagree with the other half.

Enderikari said:
there is no reason to be dissatisfied because Stitch's Great Escape wasn't made for you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Enderikari

Original Poster
dxwwf3 said:
Usually when chipped paint is shown on the net, it's fixed within six months.

That paint is fixed whenever a cast member takes up the intiative to make a phone call about it. Instead of grousing about it, or putting it up on the internet, the offendee (let's call him SPOORT-D) could tell a cast member that has access to a phone, and watch him make the phone call. The work order will go in, be a part of the work queue, and, !shockingly! be fixed in a time period a lot less than six months. Every bit of paint I have seen called in has been fixed within days.

dxwwf3

Enderikari said:
That paint is fixed whenever a cast member takes up the initiative to make a phone call about it. Instead of grousing about it, or putting it up on the Internet, the offendee (let's call him SPOORT-D) could tell a cast member that has access to a phone, and watch him make the phone call. The work order will go in, be a part of the work queue, and, !shockingly! be fixed in a time period a lot less than six months. Every bit of paint I have seen called in has been fixed within days.

Well I was under the impression that a cast member wouldn't be able to help out in something like that. I figured it would just be brushed off and never thought about again. We usually get the impression that CM's don't have the power to get stuff like this done.

If that is the case for most CM's, then that should definitely be done more often. Now I know that nothing can look perfect and we shouldn't expect that, but some of the pics I've seen in the past should have never been like that.

Thanks for the explanation.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Eh.. some things are more complicated and do take more time, for example the planeters in Epcot has to be "Rebuilt" before being repainted if they break off, but those are exceptions to the rule.

Parts sometimes take ages to order too, just the other day at HISTA one of the exit doors was broken - I suspect the door aparatus was sent to Test Track and another one is on order. Test Track tends to break them, then because it's considered high priority, other attractions are pillaged, and they wait for replacement parts while TT operates.

I don't think it's the wrong thing to do though or bad business. In fact, I think it's kinda smart to immediately fix Test Track's doors while large theaters like Energy and HISTA don't really need all their pairs of doors to open at the exit.

Anyways, I digress - I do feel some of us are qualified to discuss the mouse. I've studied, i've learned, i've been doing this for ages. My photo updates do show works-in-progress, but more in anexcited or interest light then critique. I will admit that i've spoken out when I saw something amiss. The Living Seas paint job irked me, but they seem to have addressed the blotchy marks, and fixed the lighting. I'm a happy camper now.

I think the problem is with folks who never see positive and don't admit when a problem is fixed, o merely seek the next problem. We went through a whole fiasco over the Land, and then afterward lots of folks ate crow and kept quiet.. but now with Monsters, we seem to be getting into the same problem. It's almost like some built up need to complain is suddenly being released with a vengence.

But that's people - what can we do?

Back in my early days on the net, I was at a forum with real imagineers hanging out discussing design, and they thought I was so obnoxiously pessimistic (but they were nice to me, and I learned A LOT). Back then, I sang the praise of IOA and made fun of Disney constantly. People get moe information and grow though - I know I did.

Jheyman

I have to agree and disagree all in the same breath on this one. Firstly I think the internet is a great tool and resource and a place like wdwmagic shows how great this can truely be. I myself think that this site enhances the magic by allowing me to hear about peoples' trips and see photos, and I also like to hear about new things and ideas. I think that it is not the internet that puts a negitive spin on things but rather the internet is a vechical to spread human nature positive and negative.

On some notes I think we all need to calm down sometimes and just take talk for talk. For example I don't think SGE even comes close to AE but thats my opinion and a place like WDWMagic allows us to share these thoughts and opinions without attacking wdw or twdc though I understand some people do and to those folks I say they arent worth commenting on. I think there is a fine line there between talk/discussion and ranting and attacking but I think its a good thing.

All in all I think there is a lot more positive then negative out there. If we all keep the magic close by the negative aspects should be easy to skip over.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
dxwwf3 said:
Well I was under the impression that a cast member wouldn't be able to help out in something like that. I figured it would just be brushed off and never thought about again. We usually get the impression that CM's don't have the power to get stuff like this done.

If that is the case for most CM's, then that should definitely be done more often. Now I know that nothing can look perfect and we shouldn't expect that, but some of the pics I've seen in the past should have never been like that.

Thanks for the explanation.

Sometimes there's just stuff the CM's never see that guests do. People at SSE don't know there's mold growing on top of it, nor can they see the lights on the wand.

A good example is the folks who flip the switch to turn on exterior lighting. They don't know that a light rainstorm causes it to be too-dark in the exit corridor of an attraction, but if the host/hostess calls, they'll turn it on.

phillipsa9

the only people who have surprises ruined for them are the ones who want it to be ruined... its not as though the internet is being streamed into your brain alerting you with every disney rumor... personally i like to ruin surprises... thats why i peek at christmas presents... thats why im a member of this board

Enderikari

Original Poster
phillipsa9 said:
the only people who have surprises ruined for them are the ones who want it to be ruined... its not as though the internet is being streamed into your brain alerting you with every disney rumor... personally i like to ruin surprises... thats why i peek at christmas presents... thats why im a member of this board

Right, but if you want to have the magic ruined, why go to Disney in the first place?

AEfx

I love how close the internet keeps me to the Magic. If you find it's ruining it for you personally, take a break from it. Other people's opinions shouldn't affect how you feel about WDW. Don't let other people's opinions be that important. Be secure in your own love of the magic, and realize that other people have other ways, and other types of love, for the same thing you do. Some of us like to know how everything is done - it adds to the fasicination. If it doesn't for you, then you should evaluate why you continue to intentionally expose yourself to it.

AEfx

jmvd20

I for one would have to disagree. I do however see how many people may have the magic taken away from knowing how things are done and operate. In contrast this makes me appreciate WDW even more. The logistics of what they accomplish day in and day out simply amaze me. To me the more I know about WDW the more it makes me appreciate it. There is also no comparison between an internet picture or podcast as opposed to seing it in real life, at least IMO.

Enderikari

Original Poster
Enderikari said:
They want to tear Disney down. They talk about the people running the place with such hatred that I can only see coming from unabashed jealousy. They hate the park because they don't run the park. Just like those Monday Night Football armchair quarterbacks, they are really good at making decisions that they physically aren't able to follow through with. They understand how the game works, but they really don't comprehend the overall gameplan of the team.

CommandoDisney said:
boy did i stumble into the wrong thread. i thought this was going to be about the new journey into imagination...

Thank you for proving my point

Enderikari

Original Poster
AEfx said:
I love how close the internet keeps me to the Magic. If you find it's ruining it for you personally, take a break from it. Other people's opinions shouldn't affect how you feel about WDW. Don't let other people's opinions be that important. Be secure in your own love of the magic, and realize that other people have other ways, and other types of love, for the same thing you do. Some of us like to know how everything is done - it adds to the fasicination. If it doesn't for you, then you should evaluate why you continue to intentionally expose yourself to it.

AEfx

You're missing the point. Nothing on these boards, from the uniformed opinions, to the humorous speculations, to the intelligent discourse; is going to affect the way I love going to Walt Disney World. I just think its funny how people around here claim that Disney is losing its magic, when its really themselves they should be looking at. I see people complaining about rides and attraction, and then seeing them say, "I will Never Ride It." It makes me sad.

But my joy, on these boards, comes from trying to set some people straight. To show the magic that still exists... and that thousands of people are enjoying the things they are unintentionally setting out to destroy

Iakona

Enderikari said:
You're missing the point. Nothing on these boards, from the uniformed opinions, to the humorous speculations, to the intelligent discourse; is going to affect the way I love going to Walt Disney World. I just think its funny how people around here claim that Disney is losing its magic, when its really themselves they should be looking at. I see people complaining about rides and attraction, and then seeing them say, "I will Never Ride It." It makes me sad.

But my joy, on these boards, comes from trying to set some people straight. To show the magic that still exists... and that thousands of people are enjoying the things they are unintentionally setting out to destroy

I would hazard a guess that the people that are constantly finding fault, paint chips etc. would do the same whether the internet existed or not. Their magic was ruined the 2cnd they saw a piece of gum or a leaf out of place.
While they may use the boards to perpetuate these views, I find more and more people that discover the magic over and over again. Unfortunately the naysayers get the most attention because many dispute their negativity. Kind of a catch-22. You want to ignore them, but you don't want to let their negativity stand unchallenged with no context.
Personally, I find it amazing that I can come here and share the magic with thousands around the world that understand my transportation to being an 8 year old again every time I enter a Disney park.

Tune Out

If you don't like the song on the radio, turn it off.

Maybe you should retitle this thread "the Worst Thing to Happen to ME in Regards to Walt Disney World."

-Billy

DarkImage4

I'm weird, but the more I know, the more magical it is. Going there is an adventure, immersing myself into the Magic. For me, knowing the "how" does not effect the experience at all, and I think that my wife would agree.

BUT, I can say that there is definitely some truth to what you say. You can almost see a correlation between to rise of WDW fan sites and the rise of the thought of Disney "slipping". I think that some people do just like to look for anything to complain for complaint's sake. Now I say this is not everyone who sees something wrong, but there seemes to be some who do nothing but complain and rant abou tthe decline of things in the World.

Personally, I could never see myself walking into a Disney park looking for something wrong so I can report it, let alone seeing something wrong and grabbing for my camera so I can post it on the internet. Of course that's me, and everyone's outlook on things is different, not wrong, just different. Unfortunately, it's a part of human nature, I guess. there are those out there who, regardless of the subject, aren't happy unless they can find something to complain about.

I say this....keep on reading just remember to be a kid and belive in Magic once you go through those gates, why else would you go?

(hey enderikari, been quoting Eddie Izzard at the MK lately? :D )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom