The worst decision WDW ever made?

Homemade Imagineering

Nothing will EVER top this. Ever.
IMG_6703.jpeg

JIMINYCR

Allowing Bob C. To step into Igers shoes. Then after creating havoc allowing Iger to come back with another extended term so he can continue to set up more bad pathways for Disney to continue on.

Lilofan

Allowing Bob C. To step into Igers shoes. Then after creating havoc allowing Iger to come back with another extended term so he can continue to set up more bad pathways for Disney to continue on.
Chapek walked away with a $20M in severance pay . Why would he want to come back ?

Lilofan

For me personally, it was the loss of the Osborne lights :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I would have easily gone without Galaxy's Edge and kept the city streets in order to keep the Osborne lights.
I loved those Osborne lights on Streets of America . One evening Jennings came with his family and wowed us with his visit. Gone too soon, RIP. If you ever are at Ft Wilderness campground, many of the guest RVs in the trailer loops are decked out with Christmas lights in December and it is turned into their own version of a Christmas light show.

NickMaio

Getting rid of HORIZONS!!!.........That's it, that's all close the thread and never look back.

They should have plused this ride and brought it into the 21st century.

JIMINYCR

For me personally, it was the loss of the Osborne lights :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I would have easily gone without Galaxy's Edge and kept the city streets in order to keep the Osborne lights.
We loved going to WDW during the Christmas season and walking through the NY streets to see the light and music show. No one elses light shows ever compared. And it was always a competition between me and DS to see who could first sight the Black Cat. But it was a seasonal thing and didnt bring in $$$ and when Disney saw the chance to add SWL which would be profitable for them... I thought they could have found another place to continue on with the Osbourne show since it was always so much a guest favorite. .

Weather_Lady

The worst decision for my family was WDW's pennywise and pound foolish monetizing of shorter wait times by introducing ILL/G+... while making changes to staffing and capacity that it knew would increase standby wait times, and structuring queues to ensure that standby guests would be able to see (and be demoralized by) just how many lightning lane guests were gaining priority access, all to further incentivize ILL/G+ purchases.

Of all the changes, downgrades, and cuts WDW has made in the 10+ years we've been visiting as a family, that was the one that eroded the quality and pleasantness of our visits the most, and broke the proverbial camel's back as far as us wanting to return. We have no desire to deal with the time-consuming hassle and extra expense of ILL/G+, and no desire to deal with the time-consuming hassle and [still hugely expensive] exercise of waiting in standby lines that WDW has intentionally made longer and slower -- either way, we lose.

Last edited:

AdventureHasAName

I'm just going to do company-wide worst decisions since they mostly overlap with WDW ...

1. Adopting woke politics
2. EuroDisney - specifically over-building the hotel space
3. Turning to a model where they build 1/4 day parks (Animal Kingdom, DCA) and lands with two attractions in them rather than fully-fleshed out parks and lands
4. The change in resort marketing (and philosophy) from "We want everyone to come and there are things to do that every age will enjoy" to "If you are a 28 year old woman and your 7 year old girl hasn't gotten to hug a princess in our parks, you are definitionally a 'bad' mother." This was in conjunction with the move from building goodwill with quality and affordability and keeping a customer for many return trips over a lifetime, to trying to wring every dollar out of a middle class family's one trip ever (and chasing whales for VIP upcharges).
5. Focusing on intellectual property in the parks rather than building atmosphere.

Homemade Imagineering

While I agree, I think splash to tba may be in the running now.
I can see where you’re coming from but for me it’s not even comparable. TBA does have quite a few weak points but it is a vastly superior attraction to something like FEA. I also understand the stakes were higher replacing SM, but for me at least, there are some strong visual aspects of TBA that do stand out. On the other hand, JII was completely and utterly torn out for almost nothing. Blank walls and a couple window display dioramas that looked like the inside of an elementary school science fair. Will always be WDI’s worst attraction, I will never be able to understand how they messed up so severely

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

1. Splash Mountain
2. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
4. Alien Encounter
5. Great Movie Ride
6. Removing Snow White's Scary Adventures for meet and greet space
7. The upcoming demolition of DinoLand U.S.A.

Marc Davis Fan

1. Firing the imagineers that had been working on Beastly Kingdom, resulting in Universal getting a hold of its first large crop of ex-imagineers, which allowed the plans for "Cartoon World" to transform into Islands of Adventure
2. Letting Harry Potter slip through its fingers
3. Destroying Splash Mountain

The first two were bad for Disney, but not necessarily bad for us as theme park enthusiasts, of course...

Sir_Cliff

The worst decision for my family was WDW's pennywise and pound foolish monetizing of shorter wait times by introducing ILL/G+... while making changes to staffing and capacity that it knew would increase standby wait times, and structuring queues to ensure that standby guests would be able to see (and be demoralized by) just how many lightning lane guests were gaining priority access, all to further incentivize ILL/G+ purchases.

Of all the changes, downgrades, and cuts WDW has made in the 10+ years we've been visiting as a family, that was the one that eroded the quality and pleasantness of our visits the most, and broke the proverbial camel's back as far as us wanting to return. We have no desire to deal with the time-consuming hassle and extra expense of ILL/G+, and no desire to deal with the time-consuming hassle and [still hugely expensive] exercise of waiting in standby lines that WDW has intentionally made longer and slower -- either way, we lose.
Yes, I think in a general sense the worst decision has been going down this route of over-complicating the park-going experience. I feel like there have been many errors made in terms of eliminating or replacing different attractions, but there is ultimately the possibility of these errors being rectified or better attractions coming in the future. Making the park experience so dependent on aps, paid reservation systems, and programming ride times in advance, however, is harder to unwind and is all-encompassing rather than just a something good going away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom