The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

wtyy21

Maybe they're waiting for Friday to reveal the theme song. But yeah, it's odd that Disney hasn't used the 50th Anniversary theme considering previous Disney Park anniversaries released a specific anniversary theme months ago. Such as Tokyo Disneyland 30th Anniversary Theme ("Happiness Is Here") being heard a few months before the resort turns 30, "Forever Young" used in tons of marketing for Disneyland's 60th Anniversary Diamond Celebration, and "Remember The Magic" being played for WDW's 25th Anniversary.
WDW 25th Anniversary theme song "Remember the Magic" now only played in "Believe... In Holiday Magic" fireworks at Disneyland with different lyrics but same melody. It was also played at Disneyland Paris on their NYE fireworks from 2007-2008 to 2011-2012.

Dan Deesnee

Fresh paint being considered an "addition" for the 50th anniversary of the most visited theme park in the world... If that doesn't scream low standards, I sure as heck don't know what does.

I mean that is one sad tweet.

New customes.

A new store!? Yay!

A restaurant that was supposed to open in what, 2019?

New merch!

Low standards indeed. This is for the world's most beloved family vacation destination. I'm not impressed. However credit where it's due. The castles not bad. The statues are nice if not a bit baffling in their character choices. And I'm looking forward to the new shows and rides.

At this point Disney has got me trained to keep my expectations about as low as possible. Sad.

James Alucobond

At this point Disney has got me trained to keep my expectations about as low as possible. Sad.
What about an inability to complete things within the original timeline due to a global pandemic contributes to Disney “training” you to have lowered standards or expectations? If we’re talking about quality in general, folks can feel however they like, but why are we acting like this blip is indicative of a pattern that they’re not doing up anniversaries properly anymore?

UNCgolf

Making two opening day resorts worse isn't exactly a ringing endorsement -- the Contemporary moreso than the Polynesian since they made the rooms look like something that should cost $99 a night. It's only the Polynesian entrance that looks like something you'd find at a cheap Vegas hotel.

Most of the rest of that is a pretty hilarious list of nothing other than the two shows and Space 220, but even the two new shows aren't looking like a home run and I'm pretty sure Space 220 was supposed to be open before the 50th (i.e. it wasn't originally intended to be part of the 50th). Even if Harmonious is great, it can't be good enough to completely make up for the terrible show infrastructure. Enchantment is more of a mystery, but we've heard hints that the show quality isn't great.

Last edited:

prberk

Is this a fair assessment? It’s obvious much more was planned before their ambitions were derailed by factors outside their control. If they decide to scale back on future celebrations then perhaps it indicates a pattern of behavior, but this should quite clearly be treated as anomalous for the moment.
That argument makes no sense with (a) the level of crowds coming to the parks for a good while, (b) the prices (which reflect expectations that people will pay them), and (c) the plethora of media options to celebrate and honor the anniversary in a big retrospective way.

Jrb1979

Is this a fair assessment? It’s obvious much more was planned before their ambitions were derailed by factors outside their control. If they decide to scale back on future celebrations then perhaps it indicates a pattern of behavior, but this should quite clearly be treated as anomalous for the moment.
I'm sorry but there was another park in the country that celebrated their 150th and they kept everything that was planned from a year ago. They even had a night time parade. There is no excuse.

Waters Back Side

I'm disappointed also there will be no parade though. I would have been happy with just simply FOF returning separately from the 50th cavalcade. A lot is still coming to Epcot and MK in particular during the 50th even if it is not on 10/1. I think during the next 18 months is a better judgement then 10/1 specifically. Especially with the current times we live in.

Characters are supposedly going to be at all resorts now randomly. Not just at the deluxe resorts for dining experiences.For some that's a big deal. Others would not care.

Casper Gutman

What about an inability to complete things within the original timeline due to a global pandemic contributes to Disney “training” you to have lowered standards or expectations? If we’re talking about quality in general, folks can feel however they like, but why are we acting like this blip is indicative of a pattern that they’re not doing up anniversaries properly anymore?
Because Disney is absolutely using a global catastrophe as a convenient excuse to drag their feet on openings. Uni has been building consistently. What’s more, Chapek announced to investors that, no matter how bad Covid got, the parks would be taking absolutely no actual, meaningful measures to address the pandemic if they effect earnings - in other words, they won’t be limiting attendance. So when WDW cites the pandemic as the reason for understaffing, shuttered shows, no parking shuttles, absurdly inflated AH prices, etc. they are using one of the most profound tragedies of the last century as a convenient excuse. It’s horribly cynical and should be condemned.

ToTBellHop

I'm disappointed also there will be no parade though. I would have been happy with just simply FOF returning separately from the 50th cavalcade. A lot is still coming to Epcot and MK in particular during the 50th even if it is not on 10/1. I think during the next 18 months is a better judgement then 10/1 specifically. Especially with the current times we live in.

Characters are supposedly going to be at all resorts now randomly. Not just at the deluxe resorts for dining experiences.For some that's a big deal. Others would not care.
That’s not “supposedly” anymore. They dolled up a van to drive them from resort to resort.

Festival of Fantasy really should have been ready for 10/1. Otherwise, anyone’s expectations during the pandemic were unreasonable. But, there’s no reason not to have FoF running.

Casper Gutman

Making two opening day resorts worse isn't exactly a ringing endorsement -- the Contemporary moreso than the Polynesian since they made the rooms look like something that should cost $99 a night. It's only the Polynesian entrance that looks like something you'd find at a cheap Vegas hotel.

Most of the rest of that is a pretty hilarious list of nothing other than the two shows and Space 220, but even the two new shows aren't looking like a home run and I'm pretty sure Space 220 was supposed to be open before the 50th (i.e. it wasn't originally intended to be part of the 50th). Even if Harmonious is great, it can't be good enough to completely make up for the terrible show infrastructure. Enchantment is more of a mystery, but we've heard hints that the show quality isn't great.
If my memory serves, Rat, Harm, GotG, Tron, the Main Street Theatre and 220 were ALL supposed to be open before the 50th, and we expected at least a few new attractions to be announced for the 50th itself.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Uni has been building consistently

Uni stopped building Epic Universe for a while during the pandemic. It's now projected to open a couple years later than initially planned.
Chapek announced to investors that, no matter how bad Covid got, the parks would be taking absolutely no actual, meaningful measures to address the pandemic if they effect earnings

When did he say this?
understaffing

There's a massive labor shortage going on, if you haven't heard.

Casper Gutman

That’s not “supposedly” anymore. They dolled up a van to drive them from resort to resort.

Festival of Fantasy really should have been ready for 10/1. Otherwise, anyone’s expectations during the pandemic were unreasonable. But, there’s no reason not to have FoF running.
Either the pandemics still on, and WDW needs to help mitigate the spread even if it impacts earnings, or it’s over. WDW doesn’t get to have it both ways.

BaymaxFan

Two new nighttime spectaculars- One that nobody really wanted and one that was supposed to be temporary but is going to stick around instead.

Two amazing opening day resorts were refurbished with IPs that nobody wanted

Fresh coat of paint- This is just basic park maintenance, nothing special here.

Points of light- this is neat but not 50 years neat.

Space 220, a restaurant that was supposed to open in 2019 has nothing to do with the 50th.

Creations Shop- another toning down of a store. More of an Epcot 40th thing.

Confectionery- "Basic Refurbishment"

Character costumes- Cool but not a big deal for a milestone as huge as this.

Waters Back Side

When back to normal, a simple wave and drive by would not be my expectation. If a couple of random times a day at a resort a couple of the Fab 5 had meet and greets that would be nice. As far as my expectations. We will see how that works out. I do like the idea.

Dan Deesnee

Budget cuts and long drawn out delayed projects is a trend that was getting worse pre pandemic.

ToTBellHop

When back to normal, a simple wave and drive by would not be my expectation. If a couple of random times a day at a resort a couple of the Fab 5 had meet and greets that would be nice. As far as my expectations. We will see how that works out. I do like the idea.
It won’t be a drive-by. They’ll get out of the van. Of course, they’ll still be distanced since that is how things are run right now.

Casper Gutman

Uni stopped building Epic Universe for a while during the pandemic. It's now projected to open a couple years later than initially planned.

When did he say this?

There's a massive labor shortage going on, if you haven't heard.
Epic is delayed about a year, as far as we know. And during the pandemic they built and opened Veloci and Bourne. And they are about to begin construction on a further two (sadly screen-based) attractions.

He said it during the quarterly earnings call about a month ago.

Yes, during a labor shortage Disney might have to substantially raise wages - even beyond a one time signing bonus. Isn’t it odd that the invisible hand of the market can only drive wages down - when they rise, it’s a crisis and we all need to pity the corporations and accept reduced service.

UNCgolf

If my memory serves, Rat, Harm, GotG, Tron, the Main Street Theatre and 220 were ALL supposed to be open before the 50th, and we expected at least a few new attractions to be announced for the 50th itself.

I'm positive that if Disney could go back in time knowing what they know now, they would have never opened Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. It would have sat finished but unopened until the 50th anniversary and claimed as an addition for that anniversary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom