Trip Report The "We've Made a Huge Mistake" Trip - Disney with a newborn (don't do it)

I figured I'd just get it out there in the trip report title - this trip sucked. Still going to report on it, but be prepared...it sucked :hilarious: We had a few bright spots (Like seeing @Tuvalu and @TrolleyFollower91 and Woody (can't remember his forum name...)) but overall, we were just really glad to come home yesterday. I figured I'd go ahead and get this report done as I'm going back to work on Monday!

Who: Me and R and our 11 week old, LP + My friend K.
When: March 30-April 4 (travel + 4 park days + travel)
Where: Cabins at Fort Wilderness
Why: End of my maternity leave, so wanted to take a trip without having to use vacation days

Originally it was just our family of 3 going and we were at Wilderness Lodge, but my friend K was tossing around the idea of taking a solo trip around the same time and helping out with LP, and we ended up moving to a Cabin so she could just stay with us! She went with her family (including her 8 week old and her husband's whole fam) around Thanksgiving and had really been wanting to go back and experience stuff she wasn't able to on that trip. She ended up getting the same flights as us and everything.

We left town on Saturday around 1pm and LP slept part of the drive...so did R.

They are twins.

Our flight was at 4:25pm. Our whole airport experience was a blur to me. I ended up checking the carseat and stroller at the desk instead of the gate which was a MISTAKE! The flight was empty so the carseat could have come on the plane with us and would have made for a much better experience.

So here I am carrying a 2-month old around the airport...I nursed her on some random couch outside the nursing lounge (which was occupied the whole time I was waiting). She was so cranky and tired and when she's like that even me holding her isn't helpful. I got her to nap for short stretches a couple of times, but the whole process was terrible. There was a toddler a few rows up that screamed a lot and every scream jarred LP awake 🤦 She was sleeping really light!

On the descent...napping whew

I nursed her on the plane too. We'd never nursed in public before this trip, so I was figuring out the cover and holding her differently, and it was tricky.

Made it to the fonorail! That's K holding her, and she's in her Love to Dream swaddle that makes her look like a flying squirrel 🤣

We got our bags and no sign of the stroller or car seat. Finally after standing in line at the Southwest desk forever (during which time a complete stranger thought it was ok to touch my daughter...no ma'am!), we heard an announcement about oversized items being in a different spot, and sure enough there they were! Would have been nice to know that when we checked them originally. They had also zip-tied the car seat bag closed and none of the airport employees would help us get it off. Some nice man saw our plight and used a key to cut it off.

We got her in there and headed to the Magical Express line. We waited probably 15 minutes before we were on our way. LP was still so cranky, though I got her to nap a little on the bus. I also nursed her without the cover...turned toward the window where no one could see, but R was so embarrassed 🤣 I just wanted to keep her quiet! Fort Wilderness was the last stop, and when we got there we realized everything was closing in like 30 minutes and we had no way of getting anywhere anyway.

It makes NO sense to me why there wouldn't be some kind of store or quick service at the Outpost where you get dropped off. I was starving. Luckily our cabin was in the closest loop, so we took off walking. It was only about a 5 minute walk and we got in there to find NO PACK AND PLAY. Apparently you have to tell them when you get there and they bring it over, so we did that. Once that was set up, I fed her and put her down for the night...whew

With that done, we had to get something to eat. I tasked R with figuring out UberEats and he placed a Q'doba order then walked to the Outpost to get it. I hadn't eaten since 10:30am and it was now 10:45pm...not good for a nursing mother! Once I finally got a burrito in me, I felt better and we all went to bed.

I didn't ever get pictures of the room, but you guys can see pictures on the internet 🤣

Up next: Will our travel day be an indication of how this trip will go? I think you already know...

krisri18

Here's a recent picture of her to show how much she's changed

View attachment 377953

Basically a clone of R. Not even fair! I did all that work and she doesn't even look like me...

View attachment 377953

Basically a clone of R. Not even fair! I did all that work and she doesn't even look like me...
Right?! How is that fair! I completely understand, E looks exactly like P and nothing like me. *Sigh*

Songbird76

Thank you so much!! <3

Thank you so much! I hope LP doesn't get mad when we leave her in October 🤣 She will just have to get over it! Mom and Dad gotta keep the romance alive, you know?

I could seriously go for those fried green tomatoes right now. SO GOOD! I hope they're back next year.

Oh that is SO SWEET!!! I would love for her to have a milestone at Disney World. She'll probably be walking by the time we take her back at 14 months, but hey you never know. Kids are all over the place with the walking!

I can already tell the next trip will be so much better. She rarely cries anymore. She'll fuss if she's having a bad day, but only really cries when she's REAL hungry or way overtired. She's also bottle-fed now, which is so much more convenient.
You never can tell with the walking. DD rolled over at 4 months, but then never did really crawl. She scooted on her belly. She didn't start walking until 15 months. Both my kids walked around 15 months. They developed cognitively a lot faster than their motor skills developed. But neither my husband nor I are particularly athletic, so our kids were probably never going to be either. So it could totally happen at 14 months. I'm sure there will be lots of amazing moments, and a lot of firsts, even if it isn't the walking. First character interaction, first time meeting her favorite, first time eating some iconic Disney treat, first time on a particular ride. She'll hit lots of milestones at Disney.

BuckyMom

View attachment 377953

You have a beautiful Princess. So gosh darn cute! She'll change...one day she'll look at you and it will be like looking in the mirror. Or worse, something will come out of her mouth and you'll think...oh oh..that was me talking to my mother. Circle of Life...

krisri18

I know how you feel! I got the c-section scar and my husband got to hold the mini-version of himself first. Except for his eyes, my son looks nothing like me :arghh:
It's like you're telling my exact story, lol fingers crossed they get some other amazing traits from us since they don't look like us lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom