News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

pdude81

Shots fired.....

Volley returned

Who hit the target?

See that’s the thing…they have lost their shareholders a ton of “value” for 2 years…

And they’re not in a “strategic transition”…they’re in damage control (ie NOT announced in advance) and only are saying that now after the fact because they need an excuse

Chicken Little threw in the towel once already after taking a weak shot. Now that they've done what he asked and still lost shareholder value, it is confusing trying to understand why anyone would believe him even if the sky were falling.

And I suspect that when he came for Bob the first time, there was some strategic planning on how to defend against any future challenges.

Plus let's remember that those 33M shares put them at less than 2% ownership of the company.

el_super

Companies in strategic transitions don't call emergency Town Hall's

Good thing Disney didn't do that.

Chicken Little threw in the towel once already after taking a weak shot. Now that they've done what he asked and still lost shareholder value, it is confusing trying to understand why anyone would believe him even if the sky were falling.

It would be hilarious to hear Peltz try to explain his position on spending 60 billion on the parks. I hope someone has the chance to ask him.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

And I suspect that when he came for Bob the first time, there was some strategic planning on how to defend against any future challenges.

Plus let's remember that those 33M shares put them at less than 2% ownership of the company.
Right…and Bob - in fear of his ego - made promises he can’t deliver on. Cause it’s December tomorrow

You can’t trust Peltz and perlmutter…

…but everything they’re saying is correct. They want Iger out and iger’s performance now means he should be out.

Bob was stupid to comeback…he arrived in time to oversee the fallout of all his long term
Mistakes

That’s such a rookie move and proves Eisner 100% right about him

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good thing Disney didn't do that.

It would be hilarious to hear Peltz try to explain his position on spending 60 billion on the parks. I hope someone has the chance to ask him.
They absolutely did call a damage control meeting, burner…

…and the $60 billion is a rubber check…there’s no commitment actually attached to it…you missed that

Lilofan

Right…and Bob - in fear of his ego - made promises he can’t deliver on. Cause it’s December tomorrow

You can’t trust Peltz and perlmutter…

…but everything they’re saying is correct. They want Iger out and iger’s performance now means he should be out.

Bob was stupid to comeback…he arrived in time to oversee the fallout of all his long term
Mistakes

That’s such a rookie move and proves Eisner 100% right about him
What kind of dollars are we talking for Iger to go away? Chapek got off cheap when he got a $23M bye bye package. Ovitz back in the day walked away with $140M.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They added an ad tier to increase ARPU and heavily discounted the ad tier. How long before this plateaus? Until they reign in the cost of content production, it’s still just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Disney has been doing this with their fixed theme parks for nearly 20yrs... I think they know how to work it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To me, it seems like Iger is sort of just acknowledging what everyone knows: that a certain subset of the audience thinks Disney has some big agenda and it's hurting the brand.

That is just a veiled way to blame the audience... when you should be noting that Iger blamed the content, not the audience.

I don't see how that might indicate that he's changed his thinking on anything.
Then you should read it again.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Trian Fund Management issued this press release today.

Trian be like...
take-aim-guns.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What kind of dollars are we talking for Iger to go away? Chapek got off cheap when he got a $23M bye bye package. Ovitz back in the day walked away with $140M.
For Bob it isn’t money…it’s the ego, prestige and power

If it was about money…he wouldn’t be back…or he’d be gone sooner

He liked the idea of walking in and the stock jumping $30 on his name. He craved that like a drug…feather in his cap.

But their numbers and trend line is terrible…not for debate

Nobody on Wall Street actually thinks they can charge $500 a day for the tickets to Animal kingdom…and that’s what they’re trying to spin

Or D+ for $49.99 a month and 23 minutes an hour of ads.

Nobody with an education is that stupid.

Bob has NOTHING to throw out otherwise…and it’s his record

_caleb

That is just a veiled way to blame the audience... when you should be noting that Iger blamed the content, not the audience.
What is with the "blame" talk? I don't blame the audience or Iger for changing tastes, technologies, trends. I do think Iger is responsible to make sure the company provides content that appeals to whoever their audience is. I hold audiences responsible for their own attitudes and behaviors, not for the company's successes/failures.
Then you should read it again.
Ok. I did. And I'm still not seeing it. Do you think he's suddenly seen the light and now he agrees that Disney's been "pushing a social agenda" and will now stop its efforts to diversify its content and audiences?

MR.Dis

It was time for Eisner to go. The history is out there and no need to rehash. Igor time has come and gone. I do not trust Peltz or Perlmutter, one of my issues with Eisner in the end was bleeding the company dry which is exactly the MO of these two gentlemen. I can not help but remember the age old saying, better the devil you know than the devil you don't (i.e. we do not want another Chapek). So until we actually KNOW who the new boss is, I for one am in no hurry to push Igor out a second time--though as I said in the beginning his time has come and gone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What is with the "blame" talk? I don't blame the audience or Iger for changing tastes, technologies, trends. I do think Iger is responsible to make sure the company provides content that appeals to whoever their audience is. I hold audiences responsible for their own attitudes and behaviors, not for the company's successes/failures.

Iger noted the shift was on Disney's part, lacking the entertainment first -- you took it as the the consequence was due to the audience's tastes. That's blaming the audience. Quite different from Iger's comments.

Ok. I did. And I'm still not seeing it. Do you think he's suddenly seen the light and now he agrees that Disney's been "pushing a social agenda" and will now stop its efforts to diversify its content and audiences?
There is no relevation/discovery in his comment that you suggest. He's noting the error in prioritization and lacking of something, and is acknowledging they need to ensure the product is in fact entertainment, not just meaningful.

The rest of your assertions are just hyperboyle that aren't worth addressing. The guy's comments are pretty clear and to the point.

CaptainAmerica

If it comes down to alienating less than 50% of your audience, versus alienating the other 50% AND your creative teams, the math still works out to picking the side with the biggest population and accepting the hit.
0% of the audience was alienated by The Lion King or Moana or Captain America: The Winter Soldier or the Disney Wonder.

Nobody is asking Disney to switch sides in the poo-slinging. We want them to not sling poo.

Remember he said this when he came back to the company to smooth out the hurt feelings among Cast Members caused by Chapek:
The Cast Members' feelings weren't hurt. There were like 50 mouthy brats who were crabby on twitter. The company would be much better without them than with the ACTUAL talent they've chased away with their hostile work environment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom