News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Vegas Disney Fan

If there is that many of type of people who have D23 don't have Disney Plus yet...

Very telling of just what a dud Disney Plus has been vs what they thought it could be.
I had a similar thought, D23 is comprised of big Disney fans, it’s very unlikely many of them don’t already have D+.

It was time for Eisner to go. The history is out there and no need to rehash. Igor time has come and gone. I do not trust Peltz or Perlmutter, one of my issues with Eisner in the end was bleeding the company dry which is exactly the MO of these two gentlemen. I can not help but remember the age old saying, better the devil you know than the devil you don't (i.e. we do not want another Chapek). So until we actually KNOW who the new boss is, I for one am in no hurry to push Igor out a second time--though as I said in the beginning his time has come and gone.
I agree, I was a big Iger fan prior to 2018, everything since then has been a disaster though, not sure if he stayed too long or it just took that long for the house of cards to collapse, Disney needs fresh leadership and not just the CEO, the board needs to be replaced too.

The team that created the mess is not the team to fix it.

Trauma

Just to be clear, Peltz only owns approximately 8 million Disney shares, Ike Perlmutter owns 25 million shares.Together, 33 million represents 1.8% of Disney's total stock.Peltz/Perlmutter are trying to co-opt legitimate Disney fan concerns for their own agenda.

—————————————————————————

Isn’t this exactly what Iger did?

He co-opted the entire Disney company to further his political aspirations.

el_super

The Cast Members' feelings weren't hurt. There were like 50 mouthy brats who were crabby on twitter. The company would be much better without them than with the ACTUAL talent they've chased away with their hostile work environment.

50 people who staged the walk-out protests in Burbank? Maybe. But the sentiment against Chapek amongst Cast Members was far more widespread. Apparently it went all the way to the top.

celluloid

Good thing Disney didn't do that.

True, it was a one sided speech of admitting the market was oversaturated and quality has been down to protect hubris. They should not have called it a Town Hall.

But actions are louder anyway. And none of that has been on the horizon yet.

el_super

True, it was a one sided speech of admitting the market was oversaturated and quality has been down to protect hubris. They should not have called it a Town Hall.

More to the point: you inferred it was an emergency town hall and it wasn't. They are pretty normal.

It was also a strong show of executive support for the ABC team (predominantly the in-person group in New York) that have been feeling the most uncertainty.

CaptainAmerica

50 people who staged the walk-out protests in Burbank? Maybe. But the sentiment against Chapek amongst Cast Members was far more widespread. Apparently it went all the way to the top.
A few things.
  • The vast majority of "boots on the ground" Cast Members didn't have the foggiest idea what Bob Chapek was up to on any given day and had no opinion about him whatsoever other than maybe a vague sense of "bald man bad."
  • There was a lot of negative sentiment in the world during Chapek's regime. People were getting sick, people were dying, we were all getting tire of masks and social distancing and using hand sanitizer ten times an hour, people weren't traveling, everything was getting expensive, many people weren't working. Some of the "Disney sucks" during that time period is just that EVERYTHING sucked during that time period.
  • The sentiment against Chapek was primarily about business and leadership issues. Changing the price structures in the parks, a general sense of "nickel and diming," poor relationship skills with senior leaders and talent, putting Kareem Daniel in charge of things he didn't know how to run, etc. Nobody was anti-Chapek because Chapek was insufficiently progressive on social issues.

CaptainAmerica

They should not have called it a Town Hall.
"Town Hall" is just corporate-speak for "a speech/conversation/interview that the whole company is invited to," which this was. A corporate town hall is not a political town hall where the leader is necessarily expected to take Q&A. Often there's a Q&A, sometimes there isn't. It's actually better when there isn't because the questions often come from clueless people.

CaptainAmerica

It was also a strong show of executive support for the ABC team (predominantly the in-person group in New York) that have been feeling the most uncertainty.
You bought all of that?

Separately, I'm not convinced that the majority of the theater was ABC. There are a lot of Disney office-types in New York. Ad Sales, Streaming, some ESPN, some Finance, some Technology, some HR, some Strategy.

In the Parks
No
Nobody is asking Disney to switch sides in the poo-slinging. We want them to not sling poo.
YES! This! A thousand-times this!
Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

Vegas Disney Fan

Nobody was anti-Chapek because Chapek was insufficiently progressive on social issues.
Quoting for truth.

He was loathed for eliminating annual passes, loathed for eliminating magical express, loathed for implementing reservations, loathed for eliminating fast pass, loathed for implementing Genie, loathed for ILL, etc, etc, etc…

His social politics likely wouldn’t make anyone’s top 25 list of things they disliked about Chapek

el_super

The sentiment against Chapek was primarily about business and leadership issues.

No. I am referring to this:

Which led to this :

And then eventually this:

AdventureHasAName

His social politics likely wouldn’t make anyone’s top 25 list of things they disliked about Chapek
Well, it would for me, but for the opposite reason. I hated that he let the inmates in DEI run the asylum. That burned through more of the fanbase's goodwill (earned over 80 years) than anyone will admit. You can't just snap your fingers and get it back. Iger is just as bad, but at least he was smart enough to realize what happened and try to pretend to slap a bandaid on it.

_caleb

It's not the audience's job to appeal to Disney, it's Disney's job to appeal to the audience.
I don't know what this has to do with my post. I don't believe it's the audience's job to appeal to Disney.

I do think some audiences are more appealing to Disney than others.

CaptainAmerica

No. I am referring to this:

Which led to this :

And then eventually this:

I thought we were past this level of naivete but apparently not.

The "backlash" against Chapek's handling of the Parental Rights bill was manufactured by executives who were salty about Kareem Daniel being put in charge of all media distribution. It was fake. Phony. Astroturf. Some of the lower-level people were legitimately upset (my throwaway line about 50 crybabies on twitter or whatever I said), but the larger backlash was based on the DMED stuff. They smelled blood in the water and used this as an issue to smear him.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Well, it would for me, but for the opposite reason. I hated that he let the inmates in DEI run the asylum. That burned through more of the fanbase's goodwill (earned over 80 years) than anyone will admit. You can't just snap your fingers and get it back. Iger is just as bad, but at least he was smart enough to realize what happened and try to pretend to slap a bandaid on it.
Who was CEO when Disney's DEI department was created? It wasn't $lappie.

CaptainAmerica

Iger caused it. The inmates running the asylum were Iger's inmates. Whether that's because Iger is a True Believer or because he wanted to be President or because he was deliberately sabotaging his successor or because he acted in good faith and just made poor judgment calls is an open question. Chapek KNEW everything they were up to would be a disaster for the company but he was completely feckless trying to put the brakes on them.

I do think some audiences are more appealing to Disney than others.
One audience should be Disney's number one priority (at least when it comes to the Disney brand, setting aside ESPN/Marvel/ABC News/etc). Families with children, period. Instead they seem to really want college-educated childless millennial women.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom