News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Tha Realest

Or she has a PR engine rooting for her
I mean, she comes out of the studio side of things. She’s been transactional with the trade publications and entertainment media going back decades. Of course they will rally around her (and I do think she’s the obvious internal candidate - I guarantee you Bob knows far more about how many Emmy awards they just won than any IAAPA award).

Let’s see what glossy profiles are published in Attractions Magazine in the coming weeks on Josh

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I mean, she comes out of the studio side of things. She’s been transactional with the trade publications and entertainment media going back decades. Of course they will rally around her (and I do think she’s the obvious internal candidate - I guarantee you Bob knows far more about how many Emmy awards they just won than any IAAPA award).
Well, Disney was first and foremost a visual entertainment company that later got into 'parks.'

And cruise ships.

And gaming.

And tours.

And resort hotels.

DisDude33

Yes, of course. It’s their central identity, and the navigation into a streamer is now a central focus. I’ve long said she is the natural choice given this focus.
I’m in no way disagreeing with you but I’m lacking in knowledge about her and am curious what sets her above the others, particularly Bergman since he is also from the studios?

MR.Dis

Let’s see what glossy profiles are published in Attractions Magazine in the coming weeks on Josh
Let us not forget neither Eisner or Iger were polished CEOs when they obtained the title. It took some time to grow into the job. So Dana's division just set a record for most awards. Josh has allowed the Parks, especially in Florida, to stagnate. Even with the big announcements of expansion, only one park at WDW will have 20+ attractions. So a question, should Disney hire a CEO who exceeds expectations or is willing to settle for OK????

JD80

Let us not forget neither Eisner or Iger were polished CEOs when they obtained the title. It took some time to grow into the job. So Dana's division just set a record for most awards. Josh has allowed the Parks, especially in Florida, to stagnate. Even with the big announcements of expansion, only one park at WDW will have 20+ attractions. So a question, should Disney hire a CEO who exceeds expectations or is willing to settle for OK????

Not that I have to defend anyone, and I'm not trying to but I don't think you can equate budgeting for movies and budgeting for a themepark.

Marvel got $211M for Secret Invasion and it bombed. I'm sure park ops people would love to get $211M for a project.

Tha Realest

I’m in no way disagreeing with you but I’m lacking in knowledge about her and am curious what sets her above the others, particularly Bergman since he is also from the studios?
In my view, it has to do with the following:

1) Close to Iger
2) Background steeped in TV side (which is more conducive to streaming programming than film)
3) Deft management of FX/Hulu library - critical and commercial successes
4) 20th CF production has been a relative bright spot in theatrical slate (Avatar and Deadpool especially)
5) woman
6) plays media game exceedingly well
7) strengths/experiences align more with future of the company (streaming) than other potential rivals (parks, ESPN, theatrical)
8) they just went with a parks guy for CEO and that was a disaster. Conversely, Iger (like Walden) came onboard as a result of a merger/acquisition, and they desperately want Iger 2.0

Lilofan

1) Close to Iger
2) Background steeped in TV side (which is more conducive to streaming programming than film)
4) 20th CF production has been a relative bright spot in theatrical slate (Avatar and Deadpool especially)
5) woman
7) strengths/experiences align more with future of the company (streaming) than other potential rivals (parks, ESPN, theatrical)
8) they just went with a parks guy for CEO and that was a disaster. Conversely, Iger (like Walden) came onboard as a result of a merger/acquisition, and they desperately want Iger 2.0
Female execs in C-Suite made 25% less than male peers. It will be interesting what the compensation would be if the next Disney CEO is a female.

DisDude33

1) Close to Iger
5) woman
These are all excellent points in my opinion. Thank you for filling me in. 🙂

Drdcm

Do we think she would do well from a creative vision standpoint? I’d really like to see sticking to theming and the bigger picture and a bit less overt synergy moving forward. Some of their best stuff is non-IP still. I don’t know a whole lot about her.

Nubs70

Walden, from what I can tell, is networked to institutions and individuals outside of simply the industries within $DIS. Maybe she will act like the CEO of a multi national/multi segmented corporation rather than being facinated.with being the face of the parks

Nland316

The single main reason I could see Dana not getting the CEO role is her association to Harris — regardless of whatever outcome this November.

Disney has had a rough few years in the political spotlight, so I find it really hard to believe the board would risk any outward perception one way or the other after the amount of damage control they had to deal with.

Unfortunately it’s a rather easy and accessible thing for people to target.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney’s Succession Planning Committee has met six times already in 2024. The topic of succession planning has been discussed at each of the regularly scheduled Board of Director meetings in FY 2024. The planning process includes the evaluation of transition structures and organizational frameworks. Most importantly, there are discussions about how the succession decision could potentially impact the company as a whole. One insider cautions that if Walden and D’Amaro are passed over for an external candidate, both could go from discussing succession to discussing severance.​

JoeCamel

Disney’s Succession Planning Committee has met six times already in 2024. The topic of succession planning has been discussed at each of the regularly scheduled Board of Director meetings in FY 2024. The planning process includes the evaluation of transition structures and organizational frameworks. Most importantly, there are discussions about how the succession decision could potentially impact the company as a whole. One insider cautions that if Walden and D’Amaro are passed over for an external candidate, both could go from discussing succession to discussing severance.​

I would expect nothing less, let the purge begin

denyuntilcaught

The single main reason I could see Dana not getting the CEO role is her association to Harris — regardless of whatever outcome this November.

Disney has had a rough few years in the political spotlight, so I find it really hard to believe the board would risk any outward perception one way or the other after the amount of damage control they had to deal with.

Unfortunately it’s a rather easy and accessible thing for people to target.
Valid. Stupid, but valid.

JSouth25

Yeah, Wallen seems like the better CEO pick for sure. I’m not a fan of what Josh has done while he’s been in charge of the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom