News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree, especially with theaters struggling and the change from network tv to streaming being so vital to the companies future, I’d love to have a parks fan in charge but I think they have to go with a studio priority.

They'd probably be better off going back to a co-CEO (creative side/financial side) approach but I don’t think that’ll happen either.
The last time they did that…their movie studio was foundering…and they couldn’t implement progress in the parks…

So they went and got the #2 guys from paramount and Warner brothers

…just for historical context

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IO2 is literally on track to become the biggest animated movie ever, which bodes very well for Moana 2. Then you have d vs w which is tracking for an over $200 million opening. They had a bump in the road last year but they will the highest grossing studio again this year.
It won’t be…but it’s a huge hit

Seeing it an hour…me and the spiteful 4 other guys who lead the evil network bent on destroying noble disney. I’m the destro of the group.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Promoting from within isn't going to yield a successful succession plan. For long term improvements they need to think outside the box they've created for themselves. More hive mind non-creatives following plans laid out by the former CEO isn't the way forward.

Yes, but “going outside” lends itself more to tech minded people, which in my view is a problem.

Unless outside includes someone like Staggs…
My contention is that the overall management of TWDC is the worst it’s ever been…and we can trace the steps how we got here…

So how would promoting anyone from within put them on more stable footing?

Must be new math

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why do I have to have a preference? The best I can hope for is some unlikely indifference regarding the parks and delegation.

That though doesn’t mean I should just ignore history. Staggs is one the biggest, unsung architects of modern Disney.
You want someone with as much disgust for the parks at 70% of the overall revenue as the failed weasel in the sweater they got now?

High hopes

Lilofan

Why do I have to have a preference? The best I can hope for is some unlikely indifference regarding the parks and delegation.

That though doesn’t mean I should just ignore history. Staggs is one the biggest, unsung architects of modern Disney.
If that's the case Staggs left Disney when the Board give him the big 🙅for the top job.

BrianLo

I think it basically has to be someone with some studio experience. I’d prefer Josh stay in his role as there is about a 90% chance whoever would replace him would be a worse park exec.

I don’t personally ‘know’ Dana well enough, but she seems to be the most likely pick in my eyes. With the most analogous routing to the roll as Eisner and Iger. This is also someone who has functionally had a career outside of Iger largely, riding that line between an internal/external candidate.

Dan Deesnee

IO2 is literally on track to become the biggest animated movie ever, which bodes very well for Moana 2. Then you have d vs w which is tracking for an over $200 million opening. They had a bump in the road last year but they will the highest grossing studio again this year.

If you look at the data, it wasn't just last year that was a huge problem for them at the box office. The question is, are they back on track this year, it is THIS year the anomaly?

I'm not convinced that they will have great box office numbers over the next 5 years. Fantastic 4 and XMen could bring Marvel back to life. However, they'll likely destroy those too, by dramatically altering the characters and storylines.

Their Star Wars movie slate looks...yeah, it's going to be a train wreck unless they change something.

Tha Realest

Here’s the thing:

If you’re on the Disney board…which is easier?

Having your person steeped in the studio system get up to speed on basics of theme park management, or

Have a person who came up on the theme park side learn how the studio system works during a period of disruptive change?

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Here’s the thing:

If you’re on the Disney board…which is easier?

Having your person steeped in the studio system get up to speed on basics of theme park management, or

Have a person who came up on the theme park side learn how the studio system works during a period of disruptive change?

Neither. You have co-CEOs each well-versed in their respective fields.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom