News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

mysto

Whoever is running Universal has been doing a better job that Disney at selecting a vision and direction. Universal is building out their parks as best they can with the land they can get while Disney has wasted much of their time and money on media buyouts.

Bob seems to be coming around, but the visionary leader should be ahead of these things. I'm not usually on-board with the "management sucks" mantra but this mistake counts. I'm looking at it as a mistake that's in the past at this point.

Tha Realest

I will be absolutely shocked if it isn’t Dana Walden, none stand out as more qualified than the others, D‘Amaro probably a little less overall experience than the rest, and if they choose her it’ll “make history” as she’ll be their first female CEO. I really can’t see any scenario where she doesn’t get it.
At the end of the day, despite being a parks company and a cruise line and a burgeoning streamer, they’re known as a studio. There’s a history there of the acquired company leaders leapfrogging over longer tenured folks. Out of the names listed, she checks the most boxes, is savviest at playing the media game, has experience in the core competency of the studio, and checks certain boxes.

And she’s developed a personal friendship with Iger as a walking buddy.

She is clearly the strongest candidate. The board will not go back to a “parks guy” to lead the company again.

MR.Dis

At the end of the day, despite being a parks company and a cruise line and a burgeoning streamer, they’re known as a studio. There’s a history there of the acquired company leaders leapfrogging over longer tenured folks. Out of the names listed, she checks the most boxes, is savviest at playing the media game, has experience in the core competency of the studio, and checks certain boxes.

She is clearly the strongest candidate. The board will not go back to a “parks guy” to lead the company again.
I totally agree, she is the best candidate. Plus being female, she will not get the same short leash that others received. I thought the whole Stagg situation was handled horribly. Whoever is picked will make mistakes, but they need time to grow into the job. I believe that Dana Walden is the right person and should have time to prove it.

fgmnt

I will be absolutely shocked if it isn’t Dana Walden, none stand out as more qualified than the others, D‘Amaro probably a little less overall experience than the rest, and if they choose her it’ll “make history” as she’ll be their first female CEO. I really can’t see any scenario where she doesn’t get it.
I’ve had Pitaro as the dark horse because he should have the most actual relevant experience to being elevated to CEO (negotiating rights deals and personnel contracts, managing facilities and the overall brand) but if Walden is on the actual short list, Id be surprised if that’s not the move. Gotta be like 10000 to 1 odds on D’Amaro.

MR.Dis

I’ve had Pitaro as the dark horse because he should have the most actual relevant experience to being elevated to CEO (negotiating rights deals and personnel contracts, managing facilities and the overall brand) but if Walden is on the actual short list, Id be surprised if that’s not the move. Gotta be like 10000 to 1 odds on D’Amaro.
When D'Amaro had a chance to show his metal, he came up really small. You need someone with confidence in their conviction and stand up for them. What I see in D'Amaro is someone who will bow down and not fight--specifically on improvements needed for the parks that he never fought for.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Many will laugh at this but I’m gonna say it anyways. This D23 is absolutely critical for the company it needs to hit hard. If they deliver on announcements (not just for the parks but that certainly helps) it can do alot to help the public perception of the brand. Especially after Universal’s big Dark Universe announcement yesterday.

I also think strong announcements could possibly drive stock performance. Investing in the parks as well with worthwhile announcements can't hurt either. If they don’t deliver, I think they are in for a rude awakening.
95% of the planet has no idea what D23 is??

It’s for people they never had to convince

Vegas Disney Fan

I agree, especially with theaters struggling and the change from network tv to streaming being so vital to the companies future, I’d love to have a parks fan in charge but I think they have to go with a studio priority.

They'd probably be better off going back to a co-CEO (creative side/financial side) approach but I don’t think that’ll happen either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I agree, especially with theaters struggling and the change from network tv to streaming being so vital to the companies future, I’d love to have a parks fan in charge but I think they have to go with a studio priority.

There was a guy who really understood this and was often saying it…

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Whoever is running Universal has been doing a better job that Disney at selecting a vision and direction.
Isn't that vision "do what Disney does, but a bit more for teen and young adults without children"?

People here decry Disney's IP mandate. And that's exactly what Universal is doing.

What 'vision' does Universal have that Disney doesn't?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Isn't that vision "do what Disney does, but a bit more for teen and young adults without children"?

People here decry Disney's IP mandate. And that's exactly what Universal is doing.

Universal is building more attractive park additions at this time…not always.

Disney has been pathetic in its attempts to “counter”

Hundreds of millions of dollars in replacement project debacles that don’t help operations and has probably led the general frustration level to the highest point ever in Orlando.

mysto

They are building physical parks, that's it IMO, that's really all I'm saying. Imagine if Apple or Nvidia tried to compete with Disney or Universal in this arena even with their trillions. There are no 100 square mile parcels available anywhere in the US, except maybe mid Nevada. Universal is pressing their physical parks advantage and Disney has been (until recently) mostly squatting on it and selling timeshares.

Agree that the flavor of Universal is more trashy (IP), I like the older Disney style better.

BrianLo

Their movies are now predicted to almost universally flop, with a few exceptions, whereas just several years ago it was a near guarantee that any main line Disney movie/pixar, etc would gross near 1 billion. They've ruined the Marvel movies, which are on a steep decline.
I'm not sure what doesn't reality you may be living in, but a simple glance at their box office history over the past 15 years tells you everything you need to know.

You can choose to deny them, be mad about them, etc. But facts are facts.

Shortened for brevity.

We’re living in the reality where Disney will probably have three of the biggest box office releases, maybe even the three highest between IO2, Deadpool 3 and Moana 2. Which certainly undoes the hypothesis of all their brands falling off a cliff. Though you do allow for a few successes apparently?

I’m not hyper confident in their slate next year, but I also wasn’t about this year. Next year does still contain the unavoidable train that seems to be James Cameron.

ETA: My numbers are from FY 2023. If you want calendar year 2023 it would be around a $665 million loss.

Last year WAS very bad indeed. But it’s still a moot blip as Inside Out 2 almost single handedly makes the majority of the loss back. It’s going to be a little hard looking at Disney as the box office poison as they sit highly back on their throne this year.

Have we mentioned they are the only studio without a tentpole flop this year? Granted they’ve only had two tentpole releases of merit thus far.

the_rich

Shortened for brevity.

We’re living in the reality where Disney will probably have three of the biggest box office releases, maybe even the three highest between IO2, Deadpool 3 and Moana 2. Which certainly undoes the hypothesis of all their brands falling off a cliff. Though you do allow for a few successes apparently?

I’m not hyper confident in their slate next year, but I also wasn’t about this year. Next year does still contain the unavoidable train that seems to be James Cameron.

Last year WAS very bad indeed. But it’s still a moot blip as Inside Out 2 almost single handedly makes the majority of the loss back. It’s going to be a little hard looking at Disney as the box office poison as they sit highly back on their throne this year.

Have we mentioned they are the only studio without a tentpole flop this year? Granted they’ve only had two tentpole releases of merit thus far.
IO2 is literally on track to become the biggest animated movie ever, which bodes very well for Moana 2. Then you have d vs w which is tracking for an over $200 million opening. They had a bump in the road last year but they will the highest grossing studio again this year.

BrianLo

IO2 is literally on track to become the biggest animated movie ever, which bodes very well for Moana 2. Then you have d vs w which is tracking for an over $200 million opening. They had a bump in the road last year but they will the highest grossing studio again this year.

It’s always a bit silly to throw a celebration, but Dan still appears to be living in the midst of March 2024 sentiment. One movie does not fix everything, but we have ample evidence it’s at least three (and shockingly Apes was the victor out of its immediate Fall Guys and Furiosa comps), which pleasantly surprised me.

Perception seems to always lag reality. Which happens during financial recessions as well. The actual bottom of the company was last Fall. The market recovery indices started in February. The actual positive markers (multiple positive developments across Florida, Anaheim, Shareholder votes, streaming profit, now the Box office, *hopefully shortly parks and other media positivity out of D23 and finally succession planning?) have all given way.

The last thing will be fan sentiment, which will catch up likely with new project cycles. But that doesn’t change the fact the reality some feel we are living in has recently moved forward in a largely good way.

Tha Realest

Promoting from within isn't going to yield a successful succession plan. For long term improvements they need to think outside the box they've created for themselves. More hive mind non-creatives following plans laid out by the former CEO isn't the way forward.
Yes, but “going outside” lends itself more to tech minded people, which in my view is a problem.

Unless outside includes someone like Staggs…

Lilofan

Yes, but “going outside” lends itself more to tech minded people, which in my view is a problem.

Unless outside includes someone like Staggs…
No talk of the rumor of the NBA Commissioner who is Iger's buddy in the running? At one time Kevin Mayer , ex Playboy, Disney, Tik Tok exec Kevin Mayer was considered too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom