News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ah, but those members both have experience running major corporations and are not openly hostile to the board/company they are trying to join. Creativity or experience in content/entertainment isn't the only requirement, but you need to have something other than 'I like money'.
The complaint…and Peltz did have this point…is that those directors aren’t running anything. They’re subservient to Bob and just show up once a month for the yes man luncheon.

None of Disney primary business segments are in a good position right now. Not a one. That’s kinda what the board should keep an eye on before it gets to this point

Transitioned 10 years ago to what? Are you saying they make the majority of their revenue from content and theme parks?

From cable revenue to broadband. They actually were very proactive on it…trumping/countering moves by Verizon - in particular - very well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're only looking at his financial track record. Irrelevant to what's going on with him and Disney.
Irrelevant? It's what he's claiming his qualification to be in consideration. If his track record and history is irrelevant to him and Disney, what do you think would make him even worthy to consider? The fact he's just someone who chose to stand up??

No, I've looked at what he claims he would do with Disney... compared and contrasted that with his claims and actual history elsewhere... in addition to his long credited history with other businesses. And that's before you mix in his puppet master's agenda and history.

Your rationale is bizzare... closing your eyes to everything from someone just so you can blindly believe what he says about the future? What rationale is this?

Dranth

So only people with perfect track records can be on the board? They would have to get rid of everyone on the board AND Bob.
Of course not, but Peltz is particularly bad and has a history of brutal cuts and diverting investment to create short term gains for shareholders. Those aren’t things that help fix the problems we all see. Had the right person done this, they likely would have succeeded, but a greed driven corporate raider trying to sell Rasulo as viable while parroting Perlmutter was not it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Long history of what exactly that would be bad for someone that wants people back on the board that actually care about the Disney brand?

You're likely going to point to his investment track record. And to that I would say you are comparing one thing (financial performance) to another thing (company direction).

I couldn't care less about his financial failures or successes. What I do care about is having people on the board that actually want the parks to go back to what they were - the premier family vacation destination that didn't milk every dime from it's guests while constantly reducing what the guest gets.
Just to be clear: Peltz is a raider…a pompous dolt…and angry in his old age. He fits the palm beach scene perfectly.

It is not a tragedy he didn’t get a seat based on his character. Not at all.

But as a disruption and perhaps a counterbalance? He could have been useful…maybe.

But that assumes none of us are being deliberately stupid. Disneys problems…and they are numerous and serious…were the fault of the Iger management group. It wasn’t “great” and then chapek lit it on fire in a year. That opinion lacks any understanding of the factors involved.

Now Bob…and he was more subdued and the messaging was good today…needs to follow through on promises

Make better material
Invest
And transition to the next wave and leave on solid, dignified terms.

Captain Neo

Not sure I agree, the first family of Marvel will always be the Fantastic Four. That is the movie they really need to hit. I would much rather see them do a slow build up for X-Men, and dribble mutants in a few at a time in other movies to build up the desire and anticipation. Just me though

In the comics sure. But Hollywood has made three attempts at doing a fantastic four movie all to moderate to poor box office success.

The new one by the actual marvel studios will probably fair better but some of the decisions they are making with the story are already alienating some hardcore fans.

Chip Chipperson

Long history of what exactly that would be bad for someone that wants people back on the board that actually care about the Disney brand?

You're likely going to point to his investment track record. And to that I would say you are comparing one thing (financial performance) to another thing (company direction).

I couldn't care less about his financial failures or successes. What I do care about is having people on the board that actually want the parks to go back to what they were - the premier family vacation destination that didn't milk every dime from it's guests while constantly reducing what the guest gets.
By any chance did you miss what Peltz said about Iger's planned investment in the parks? It wasn't, "He should spend more," that's for sure. If you want someone who will promote better parks, Peltz was never your man.

Kamikaze

You have zero evidence that he actually wanted that. How would he know what the parks 'were'? He has no foggy-a clue.

When he was (on the board) at Pepsi, what was his big idea? Split up the company. He would waste time during every board meeting talking about nothing but that.

You're caught up on 'restoring magic' just like everyone was caught up on 'Save Disney' 20 years ago. It was BS both times.

Edited clarifying he didn't 'work' at Pepsi, he was a board member.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

The complaint…and Peltz did have this point…is that those directors aren’t running anything. They’re subservient to Bob and just show up once a month for the yes man luncheon.

None of Disney primary business segments are in a good position right now. Not a one. That’s kinda what the board should keep an eye on before it gets to this point
The board should all be moving in one direction, thats kind of the point. They shouldn't be 'at odds' with the direction of the company.

From cable revenue to broadband. They actually were very proactive on it…trumping/countering moves by Verizon - in particular - very well.
Yes, but your original point on this topic seemed to intimate that they were making the majority of their revenue in the same sectors as Disney operates, making them comparable in that regard.

Lilofan

You have zero evidence that he actually wanted that. How would he know what the parks 'were'? He has no foggy-a clue.

When he was at Pepsi, what was his big idea? Split up the company. He would waste time during every board meeting talking about nothing but that.

You're caught up on 'restoring magic' just like everyone was caught up on 'Save Disney' 20 years ago. It was BS both times.
Save Disney spearheaded by Roy and Stanley forced Eisner to resign.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The board should all be moving in one direction, thats kind of the point. They shouldn't be 'at odds' with the direction of the company.
I agree…but the board is the way investors have a say. This is really about Iger, chapek, and a strategy that isn’t working. That was the point of the proxy.

Even if Peltz is poison - which he is - Iger needs a babysitter

Or he can just leave. More on that later

Yes, but your original point on this topic seemed to intimate that they were making the majority of their revenue in the same sectors as Disney operates, making them comparable in that regard.

At the time. Yes. But now they go toe to toe a lot more.

Everyone hates Comcast. With good reason…cable sucks.
But they aren’t stupid. Brian Roberts is a very effective ceo. Better than Bob in skill set. They are formidable. There were rumors at the time that Roy Wanted him to take over for Eisner. Which of course was never possible.

Kamikaze

Save Disney spearheaded by Roy and Stanley forced Eisner to resign.
Thanks for the history lesson.

It was also an attempt at much the same thing Peltz just did. It used the term 'Save Disney' to distract plebs from their goals of both settling a vendetta (Roy and Brian Roberts) and trying to make more money (Roberts). Twenty years later, its still working, judging by your post.

You should also note in your historical database that Eisner didn't leave for another year and a half after 'Save Disney' ended.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

I agree…but the board is the way investors have a say. This is really about Iger, chapek, and a strategy that isn’t working. That was the point of the proxy.

Even if Peltz is poison - which he is - Iger needs a babysitter

Or he can just leave. More on that later
The board is there to protect the interest of shareholders. Having two wildly different 'factions' on the board does not do that.
At the time. Yes. But now they go toe to toe a lot more.
You seem to be trying to make two different points at the same time.

Comcast, in their latest numbers, makes over half (55%) of their revenue from internet and cable TV (not including linear channels but selling the actual packages). Disney does not compete in this sector. Without that money, Disney does about 1/3 more revenue than Comcast.
Everyone hates Comcast. With good reason…cable sucks.
But they aren’t stupid. Brian Roberts is a very effective ceo. Better than Bob in skill set. They are formidable. There were rumors at the time that Roy Wanted him to take over for Eisner. Which of course was never possible.
I'm sure you know Save Disney was pushed (and possibly secretly funded) by Roberts because Comcast's unsolicited bid to buy Disney was shut down by Eisner. He got in Roy's ear and convinced him that Comcast taking control was the right thing, and thats why the whole 'Save Disney' campaign got started.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Pretty much Bob’s on notice that he’s got 1 year to fix his mess otherwise…Peltz or similar may look pretty good this time next year.

If the mainstream is already pushing this, it’s going to be a fun year!
Eh, this is over with. Especially with Peltz.

As long as the board picks a successor before the next annual meeting, there is nothing else to be done with an 'activist' for many years.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Eh, this is over with. Especially with Peltz.
Peltz failed miserably, as expected this go round. But there's now blood in the water and if Disney is in the same malaise it's in now, a year from now, it's going to be open season for board seats.
As long as the board picks a successor before the next annual meeting, there is nothing else to be done with an 'activist' for many years.
There is no evidence that any of that process has even started. This is likely because all of the internal candidates are not good for the job. It is much more likely that you see yet another contract extension for Bob.

It's going to be a fun year!

RobbinsDad

Peltz failed miserably, as expected this go round. But there's now blood in the water and if Disney is in the same malaise it's in now, a year from now, it's going to be open season for board seats.

There is no evidence that any of that process has even started. This is likely because all of the internal candidates are not good for the job. It is much more likely that you see yet another contract extension for Bob.

When the main qualification for the next CEO is, "which of these choices is most like Bob", the one that actually is Bob will win every time.

Kamikaze

If the stock goes up more, it will not even be an issue. Remember, its gained 50% in 6 months.

In the article you posted:

The board has now been given the greenlight to proceed with its search process. That’s a win for Iger, and shareholders voted Wednesday they believe it’s a win for them, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom