News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
George Lucas has a lot to be thankful for. The selling of Lucas film earned him $10 billion dollars.
Hey, remember all that insider information that Lucas now hates Disney for its stewardship of Star Wars?

Yeah, fun times.

I mean, even if that were true and not just haters spinning fantasies, how bad does Peltz have to be that Lucas would give an unqualified approval to Iger?

Casper Gutman

This is Iger's ego on defense.

Iger has never been put in a position of having to so publicly defend his record. Peltz has NO shot to do anything at the company, but the only thing he can do, is publicly shine the light on Iger's missteps.
Iger hasn’t had to defend his record because (outside of theme parks, which no one with influence cares about), his record has been really, really good.

Peltz can have a huge, disastrous impact at the company and you know it. This argument is a lie unfurled by posters unwilling to articulate the genuine reason they are backing Peltz.

JoeCamel

Hey, remember all that insider information that Lucas now hates Disney for its stewardship of Star Wars?

Yeah, fun times.

I mean, even if that were true and not just haters spinning fantasies, how bad does Peltz have to be that Lucas would give an unqualified approval to Iger?
37 million shares he will look out for the company even if he hates Iger

Tha Realest

Yeah, fun times.

Why would insiders like this guy traffic in such specious claims?

1710875998734.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Most of that article is just about how no one is going to be ready to be CEO. I agree with that but I thought the most interesting part was this:

"Companies are so resistant to take a chance on someone new these days that they just recycle the same people. This is why Hollywood’s movie studios are largely run by people in their 60s and 70s. This fear of risk also infects the product. Hello, sequels and reboots!"

Agree 1000000000000%. Nearly every company I have ever dealt with for the last 20 years has fallen into this trap however, it is the next paragraph that gives me some hope:

"There is some evidence that Disney is adapting. The company just elevated David Greenbaum, the co-head of Searchlight, to oversee a large chunk of its movie slate."

Along with this line about the top contenders for CEO:

"Current CEO Bob Iger is counseling them as well, especially in areas where they are less familiar."

Iger's skills (or lack thereof) aside, that tells me they are already doing a better job than last time. They are taking the time to legitimately plan this out. Looking at all levels and moving people around, dropping dead weight and most importantly, at the top, treating people seriously instead of viewing everyone as a threat.

No, we shouldn't have needed Iger part two but there is some evidence that there is at least an effort to do this right the second time around.
It’s the same crap that Iger had been spinning for the last years

No Changes

Creating your own echo chamber to do what YOU want unabated.
George Lucas has a lot to be thankful for. The selling of Lucas film earned him $10 billion dollars.
Well it wasn’t that much…unless it’s the old “money breeds money” thing

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why would insiders like this guy traffic in such specious claims?

View attachment 773791

There’s absolutely zero evidence to think that was not Lucas’s
View at the time.

Especially since it says the technology part.

Lucas still defends his prequels…becuawe he feels they advanced film technology…

Which of course doesn’t understand Star Wars was mostly about basic Human characters that the actors delivered so little boys and girls wanted to be them in the backyard that brought fantastic worlds to life…not vice versa As he believes.

Disney just missed on their analysis of why? as well…pooched it squared

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s not what you don’t know, it’s what you won’t or can’t acknowledge. Peltz is an existential threat to Disney, and any individual or entity with even a passing knowledge of him, Perlmutter, or the entertainment industry understands this.

You are so fanatically devoted to your incredibly narrow point of view that you would rather invent massive conspiracy theories and assume nefarious hidden motives and conspiratorial activities from hundreds of individuals rather then acknowledge that one man is EXACTLY what he appears to be. It’s not a unique position in modern America, unfortunately…
That’s a very superficial take written off “company supplied” talking points…goes to pattern.

Your pin lanyard is worn by you…but it doesn’t define you.

This isn’t about Peltz or Perlmutter…they’re just tools that fit the narrative that’s being extracted in this time and space.

I can make the case Bob loves having to “deal” with them (as long as he manipulates the conditions as he seems
To be)

So don’t hate me/ change the subject if things look the same in six months or a year when the next extension is announced.

Ok…hate me…that part is granted 🥸

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yeah, fun times.

Your defense of Disney’s obvious mishandling of Star Wars has about as much gas in the tank left as the ship they unnecessarily sucked Akbar out of….

WoundedDreamer

This is an enormous win for Iger. Wow, I never expected George to come out so categorically in favor of Iger. It's one thing to quietly vote for Iger's slate, but it's another thing entirely to give this level of support. When the book is written on this proxy fight, this will be a defining win. The shares are important (Lucas owns many!), but the symbolic victory here is significant. This is the equivalent of George placing his stamp of approval on the sequel trilogy, the tv shows, the parks, the games, and everything else Disney has done with Star Wars.

As other's pointed out, this relationship was fraught for years. Lucas and Iger have both come out and said that Lucas was bitter about the way Star Wars was handled. But man, that's water under the bridge now. George might have gotten some concession, but really this is just a gift to Bob Iger. This is everything that he could have reasonably hoped for. I have to hand it to Iger, his ability to leverage his allies and even enemies (Abigale Disney and George Lucas) to mount a defense of this board is remarkable. This probably will end the campaign. Peltz and Rasulo needed Lucas.

I'm curious to see how George characterizes his views moving forward. Complaining about Disney's management of Star Wars from now on is pretty much a joke. He can't condemn Iger's management of the brand he created while also supporting Iger. I think he must have made his peace with the acquisition.

Kudos to you, Iger!

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
Iger hasn’t had to defend his record because (outside of theme parks, which no one with influence cares about), his record has been really, really good.
Peltz is a fool and a hustler, but that doesn't change Bob Iger and his record of growing through acquisitions of wildly popular mega entertainment franchises and properties (sometimes at an extremely inflated price - FOX), milking them, and then running them into the ground. Everything else is just lipstick on the pig.

Last edited:

Lilofan

This is an enormous win for Iger. Wow, I never expected George to come out so categorically in favor of Iger. It's one thing to quietly vote for Iger's slate, but it's another thing entirely to give this level of support. When the book is written on this proxy fight, this will be a defining win. The shares are important (Lucas owns many!), but the symbolic victory here is significant. This is the equivalent of George placing his stamp of approval on the sequel trilogy, the tv shows, the parks, the games, and everything else Disney has done with Star Wars.

As other's pointed out, this relationship was fraught for years. Lucas and Iger have both come out and said that Lucas was bitter about the way Star Wars was handled. But man, that's water under the bridge now. George might have gotten some concession, but really this is just a gift to Bob Iger. This is everything that he could have reasonably hoped for. I have to hand it to Iger, his ability to leverage his allies and even enemies (Abigale Disney and George Lucas) to mount a defense of this board is remarkable. This probably will end the campaign. Peltz and Rasulo needed Lucas.

I'm curious to see how George characterizes his views moving forward. Complaining about Disney's management of Star Wars from now on is pretty much a joke. He can't condemn Iger's management of the brand he created while also supporting Iger. I think he must have made his peace with the acquisition.

Kudos to you, Iger!
If I earned $10B with the huge help from the Mouse ( ie Lucas ) , no bitterness from me!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Don’t get to Orlando much, huh?

Peltz can have a huge, disastrous impact at the company and you know it. This argument is a lie unfurled by posters unwilling to articulate the genuine reason they are backing Peltz.
Almost no one on this forum is backing Peltz. The boogieman has no clothes

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disagree. His record is buying wildly popular mega entreatment franchises and properties (sometimes at an extremely inflated price - FOX), milking them, and then running them into the ground. Everything else is just lipstick on the pig.
You looking at it way too far under the skin

Just stick to D23 presentations/slides and believe whatever Scott gustin puts on Twitter 👍🏻👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess George isn't upset that his shares are down around 50% from their high?

That's a lot of Imperial credits!
I thought that was an all cash deal?

Learned something new today.

And you know why?
Because when it was announced I was disgraced because I thought there was no way Disney would dare screw it up…
After all - who likes loyal fans and money more than them?

But I had no idea some evil spirit had birthed Kiri hart in a cave…like a warlock from game of thrones 😈

WoundedDreamer

If I earned $10B with the huge help from the Mouse ( ie Lucas ) , no bitterness from me!
Fascinating! That's about 250% returns. Pretty good. But it's actually not as good as it sounds. I know I know, ten billion dollars sounds pretty good. But Lucas would actually have made more money if he had just sold the Disney stock and invested it in S&P index funds. That would have generated above 300% returns in the period. Of course, he would have had to realize capital gains which might have ruined the returns. The point stands though, Disney hasn't performed all that well over the last decade. It's done okay, but not great. It would be a below average student in a school.

Edit: Hmm, I just double checked the share price. In October 2012, the share price was about $50 a share. Even assuming dividends were all reinvested, I don't see how he would have made 250% on the investment. I'd be curious to see the calculations on that. And moreover, he only received $1.8 billion in shares. He should not have made $10 billion since the acquisition. 🤔

Edit Again: I seem to have found the source of the $10 Billion number.

https:///2021/03/george-lucas-disney-rwb1/

The article is from 2021 when Disney was close to its all time higher. That would explain why at the time he was closing in on $10 Billion. Though, it does include the $4 Billion he initially sold it for which was not growth.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom