News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

JD80

If the hope is really to sell this at $45 or $50, Disney doesn't care what the others bring, that's already giving them more money than stand alone espn does. I just have very little belief they will get close to enough people signing up for it.

If I can get live sports, that's cheaper than YoutubeTV at $70+ which all I use it for is sports.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So an analysis of this new sports platform this morning had two key tidbits:
Without cbs and nbc…they don’t have a dominant position
They will have to charge a MINIMUM $45-$50 a month to start to break even

Uh oh…

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If the hope is really to sell this at $45 or $50, Disney doesn't care what the others bring, that's already giving them more money than stand alone espn does. I just have very little belief they will get close to enough people signing up for it.
That estimate is to cover costs…not bring in revenue

They’re counting on ads

Cable…in other words…youre a genius, Bob🙄

UNCgolf

Actually…that’s transitioning to Fox

CBS bought Big Ten rights after losing the SEC. They have the 3:30 window for Big Ten games through 2030 and NBC has the rights to a Big Ten night game every week also through 2030.

The three biggest Big Ten games each week will be split between FOX at noon, CBS at 3:30, and NBC in primetime, so this streaming alliance won't have at least two major Big Ten games each week.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CBS bought Big Ten rights after losing the SEC. They have the 3:30 window for Big Ten games through 2030 and NBC has the rights to a Big Ten night game every week also through 2030.

The three biggest Big Ten games each week will be split between FOX at noon, CBS at 3:30, and NBC in primetime, so this streaming alliance won't have at least two major Big Ten games each week.
I know that was a discussion last season…with my Big 11 roots…is how are they gonna divide the games up? The new teams will help…because they were gawd awful last year

UNCgolf

I know that was a discussion last season…with my Big 11 roots…is how are they gonna divide the games up? The new teams will help…because they were gawd awful last year

I'm not sure how they decide which game goes to which network -- I'm sure there's some mechanism for it.

I bet a lot of the primetime games will be home games for the new west coast teams.

Dranth

Yeah…I know it’s stupid…but that development really fills out the schedule

It’s just a matter for time before Pa Big Ten and Pappy SEC get together for a poker game and devour the big 12 and acc.

I give it 3 years…at most
The sooner the better. As a Clemson grad it is painful to watch the ACC flail about and trip all over itself.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Thanks for the background.

For the reasons you hold him out as terrible in re the Parks, the current regime has WDI building more in Palm Springs and North Carolina than they are in DCA, DHS, and DAK. And what’s being built is soulless and stripped of any discernible Disney theming.
My earlier point stands, and is relevant to what Disney has thus far announced as it relates to their Parks and Experiences division:

1707347467450.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My earlier point stands, and is relevant to what Disney has thus far announced as it relates to their Parks and Experiences division:

View attachment 767301
It's missing...
  • Country Bear Musical Jamboree
  • The Cake Bake Shop
  • DL gets an updated and less flammable Fantasmic!
  • Reopening of a refreshed Little Mermaid show
  • Star Wars Outlaws
  • Zootopia replacing Tough to be a Bug
  • DINOSAUR revamping into Indiana Jones
  • Test Track refresh
  • Pirate's lounge
  • Vague Blue Sky stuff.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It's missing...
  • The Cake Bake Shop
  • Star Wars Outlaws
  • Test Track refresh
  • Pirate's lounge
  • Vague Blue Sky stuff.
That’s such a sad list imo. Nothing really being added, just trying to do things with existing attractions and buildings and promote as something new and exciting. I don’t think it’s going to bring additional guests in.

They HAVE TO expand, build new lands, increase capacity, but they continue to cut corners where they can while charging more and showing us random ideas and drawing for years, some of which doesn’t make a lot of thematic sense.

UNCgolf

It's missing...
  • The Cake Bake Shop
  • Star Wars Outlaws
  • Test Track refresh
  • Pirate's lounge
  • Vague Blue Sky stuff.

This hasn't actually been announced, right? I think it would technically still fall under vague blue sky stuff, especially with some insiders indicating that DAK was now on the back burner in favor of DHS and MK.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That’s such a sad list imo. Nothing really being added, just trying to do things with existing attractions and buildings and promote as something new and exciting. I don’t think it’s going to bring additional guests in.

They HAVE TO expand, build new lands, increase capacity, but they continue to cut corners where they can while charging more and showing us random ideas and drawing for years, some of which doesn’t make a lot of thematic sense.
They will. They didn't have the cash on hand to do it now. That will change in October of this year now that Hulu is bought out and DTC will be profitable.

Four years ago, Iger said DTC will be top priority. We got what he promised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom