The Ugly Blue Hat

GothMickey

wannab@dis said:
Honestly... I can see how someone would think the theater is 'ugly' easier than I can understand something thinking the hat is 'ugly'. (see thread title)

I like the hat better than the theater. Yes, I know the theater gives an allusion to Hollywood... but this is a Disney park. For me, the Wizard hat says more about Disney movies and is a great rendention from the Fantasia classic. Take a look at my avatar... How can anyone say that it's ugly? :veryconfu

I have no problems with the hat at all.. I just don't like how thye destoyed a huge hidden Mickey. Of course, the Mickey was destroyed when they added Sunset Blvd anyway.

MeTa

ctwhalerman said:
The hat (and the wand) is just terrible. It must be the ugliest and cheapest icon at any Disney park outside of the Studios in Paris and just ruins the effect of Hollywood Boulevard.But that is not why I am complaining.Has anyone noticed that Mickey now has an arm at Epcot, and a hat with a hand and fake ears at MGM. I only wonder where a leg will show up- maybe kicking a ball at the sports complex? It's like they are dismembering Mickey all over property.I just better get down there soon and visit one last time, before a giant rear end shows up on the newly-developed Pleasure Island.

The hat and wand arent taht bad. I am a purist and like the disney stuff to stay as it once was but I am more like 70/30 on my dislike/like scale. However I totally agree with you on how the hat messes up hollywood boulv.

SallyShine

objr said:
Am I the only one who hates the theater facade? :lookaroun

I hope that in the future (hopefully not too distant) they do something completely original with that building...something that blends in with the hat...

The wand on the other hand should be bulldozed. :D :lookaroun

Of course, that's just my opinion. :lol:

Have you seen the original? At least there aren't any bums sleeping around this one!

Edeyore

objr said:
I'm weird. :cry: :lol:

I don't know...I guess it goes with my dislike (when compared to the others) for the park. :dazzle:

:lookaroun

(EDIT: And further evidence of my weirdness...would be my opinion of MK...You should've seen the reaction I got from people in line for EE when I told them I hated [though that would be too strong a word] MK)

Yes, you are weird, but then you fit in here with the rest of us weirdos, very well. :lol:

Shaman

Edeyore said:
Yes, you are weird, but then you fit in here with the rest of us weirdos, very well. :lol:

Thanks....:king: :lol:

....I guess. :wave:

I don't want people to misunderstand me...I like all the parks...I just like AK and Epcot way more than the others....

:lookaroun :lol:

ogryn

I like the hat and I like the thinking of the OP... they could have still had the shop under there in that position as well, to catch people leaving the park.

Glasgow

ogryn said:
I like the hat and I like the thinking of the OP... they could have still had the shop under there in that position as well, to catch people leaving the park.
I agree with the OP as well. It reminds me of the giant Universal ball outside of CityWalk in LA - it 'introduces' you to the park, sort of speak

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
bgraham34 said:
I like the hat i just dont like the location of it.

I agree with this. I think the hat is cool, then I think about what the street looked like before the hat and I wonder if it could be moved.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
sanctumsolitude said:
I don't like the blue hat. And most of the people I talk to don't either. Therefore, I decided to move it!

Using the aerial photopgrahy provided by Windows Live Local, I went ahead and moved it to the entrance plaza. Personally, I feel that this is actually a rather nice location for it:

newenterance.jpg

Long-time lurker and I just thought I would share it with all of you. Please note it was a 2 minute photoshop job. If anyone cares about how I feel about the hat, I posted my issues with it on my blog (Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy). I will spare you having to actually read my rant unless you want to. The Re-Imagineering blog has a good write-up as well.

You dont like the hat so you move it to the entrance to the park.....makes no sense.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I like the hat...I never viewed the theater as very "Disney" anyway. It's not like that theater is owned or operated by Disney. It simply shows movies....

The hat is something unique and can be immediately identified with Disney. I think that the same cannot be said for the Chinese Theater.

imagineer boy

sanctumsolitude said:
I don't like the blue hat. And most of the people I talk to don't either. Therefore, I decided to move it!

Using the aerial photopgrahy provided by Windows Live Local, I went ahead and moved it to the entrance plaza. Personally, I feel that this is actually a rather nice location for it:

newenterance.jpg

Long-time lurker and I just thought I would share it with all of you. Please note it was a 2 minute photoshop job. If anyone cares about how I feel about the hat, I posted my issues with it on my blog (Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy). I will spare you having to actually read my rant unless you want to. The Re-Imagineering blog has a good write-up as well.

Nice photo shop! It really looks alot better there at the enterance.

While the hat its self is cool looking, it does indeed block the view of the GMR terribly. It looked really awesome before the hat, now it just peaks out around the corner with the hat in the way.

One thing that bothers me though, I'm not sure if I like the hat as an icon. It doesn't really symbolise the whole true theme of the park. Its based off of fantasia, but that's only ONE movie. A true Icon of MGM should symbolize all movies created by hollywood, but with a Disney twist. The Earful tower is a good example of that, because it parodies off of movie studios water towers, but it has a Disney twist. It just works better IMO.

Dragonrider1227

ctwhalerman said:
The hat (and the wand) is just terrible. It must be the ugliest and cheapest icon at any Disney park outside of the Studios in Paris and just ruins the effect of Hollywood Boulevard.But that is not why I am complaining.Has anyone noticed that Mickey now has an arm at Epcot, and a hat with a hand and fake ears at MGM. I only wonder where a leg will show up- maybe kicking a ball at the sports complex? It's like they are dismembering Mickey all over property.I just better get down there soon and visit one last time, before a giant rear end shows up on the newly-developed Pleasure Island.
THERE'S AN IMAGE! :lookaroun
I personally like the hat and didn't really think about it affecting Hollywood Boulevard when I was there last, but it COULD be put somewhere else. Maybe at the entrance of Fantasmic.
BTW, One could say that Cinderella castle ruins the effect of a 1901 America. :animwink:

Pongo

Dragonrider1227 said:
THERE'S AN IMAGE! :lookaroun
I personally like the hat and didn't really think about it affecting Hollywood Boulevard when I was there last, but it COULD be put somewhere else. Maybe at the entrance of Fantasmic.
BTW, One could say that Cinderella castle ruins the effect of a 1901 America. :animwink:

By George! I think you have a point with the Fantasmic! idea. The entrance to the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater sounds like a terrific spot for the hat! I also liked the earlier stated idea of having it over the turnstyles.

It certainly can't be moved easily. It took a while to be built, so I would expect it would take about the same amount of time to (fully) break down.

Add me for to the list of people who approve of the hat AND like it's position.

FigmentJedi

The thing is that the theater was a big part of Hollywood Boulevard and it seems really tacky to slap the hat in, ruining the whole Hollywood that never was idea. I say either move it to Fantasmic or take it down but I'd take the wand down first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom