The Tree of Life Awakens

wdwgreek

Really Stunning, the score is beautiful, there seems to be some sort of coherent story with the deer in the wild, and the light effects are really great on camerea. My rule of thumb is things that look great on camerea look even better in person when you are there. I cannot wait

Mike S

Actual video from Attractions Magazine. It's a Disney song medley with animal footage and realistic animal animation counterparts to the various animal characters. Also random Avatar space pterodactyl cameo.

I really don't get why they can't start this and the Safaris if they're ready.

brb1006

Actual video from Attractions Magazine. It's a Disney song medley with animal footage and realistic animal animation counterparts to the various animal characters. Also random Avatar space pterodactyl cameo.

I have to admit I said "Aww" out loud when I "Love Is A Song" started playing.:happy:

UpAllNight

This looks absolutely perfect; just what I was hoping for

I think they're realistic and know that the park is still some attractions short of being considered a park many people could spend maybe 12-13 hours in (it's still a complaint I've heard loads in regards to AK from some people) Even with ROL for many people it'll still be a struggle. I don't think we will see AK thrive in its fullest until Avatar opens.

Sped2424

Wow that lion king segment was stunning. But still I cant help but think as is the idea is a bit confusing. If they are going to use the characters and scores from the films why not fully use them? Or don't use them at all and do something totally original. Minor complaint but I appreciate how they are trying to distance away from ip in some sort of way. Either way the show is still stunning.

MrPromey

Well, the'll be doing a Jungle Book show while they figure out the Rivers of Light problem so they'll have enough attraction capacity to do this. Of course, if you look over in that thread, people are loosing their minds over it. :rolleyes:

It's like Disney can't win for loosing but I guess they've brought it on themselves. People have a point about temporary things at Disney outlasting most modern marriages.

MrPromey

Warning - I'm about to complain about this... sort of.

I have to say that I'm starting to get a little bit of projection mapping fatigue.

When they first started doing the show on the castle, it felt like they played up the unique features of the castle a lot more. They played with the idea of the castle becoming an animated object. Over time, more and more, a lot of that seems to have gotten replaced with the castle becoming an oddly shaped 3D screen to throw video on. They still do some of the moving or changing stuff but not nearly as much.

Elements of this show look really interesting to me with the lighting in the leaves above and other subtle stuff but then they just start using the trunk as a movie screen which is disappointing to me. I was hopeful the show would be a little more abstract visually and would tie in more to the tree structure, itself. They could have highlighted the animal carvings and made them come to life, similar to some of the effects they do on the castle.

It feels like a lost opportunity to me but maybe the distance for most viewers and the architecture of the tree itself would have made what I'm thinking of impractical.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I do like that they didn't use the actual soundtrack from the IP films (ala World of Color) but used beautiful stylized versions of the songs... It's like when you're in Critter Country and hear a guy playing the banjo but when you listen you realize that it is a Disney song that they're playing... Enough to remind you that you're still at a Disney park, but not shoving the IP down your throat... Between this and the videos I've seen from the media preview of Rivers of Light, I'm very happy! It's going to be tough to overthrow Magic Kingdom as my favorite Orlando Disney park, but once Pandora opens, I think Animal Kingdom is going to come VERY close!

CrescentLake

Wow that lion king segment was stunning. But still I cant help but think as is the idea is a bit confusing. If they are going to use the characters and scores from the films why not fully use them? Or don't use them at all and do something totally original. Minor complaint but I appreciate how they are trying to distance away from ip in some sort of way. Either way the show is still stunning.

I don't know, I like that they didn't go full out with the IP. I thought the soundtrack was subtle and beautiful, and wasn't ramming IP down your throat. I think this will be a nice compliment to Rivers of Light (when it finally does open...) in the sense that RoL won't have any IP in it, while this will have at least a little bit. I thought it as tastefully done. Just my opinion though.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Warning - I'm about to complain about this... sort of.

I have to say that I'm starting to get a little bit of projection mapping fatigue.

Then you'd really be upset about Disneyland's Mainstreet mapping show. Personally I believe I'll enjoy this show better than the castle as the tree's wide surface area is less obstructed and broader. We'll see how the crowds are dispersed across the viewing arc.

JediMasterMatt

My favorite part is when the branches animate like they are falling... wait, that wasn't animation?

#doesprojectionmappingworkthroughnetting
#reopenthetreeoflifegardensandpathsaroundthetree

I was really hoping the ToL was going to get the attention it needed to reopen everything.

Re: projection mapping fatigue - I do appreciate that Disney has learned that projecting small details doesn't translate well (see the Magic, the Memories, and You) and now they focus on motion and patterns. Disneyland Forever works really well with the various mapped surfaces they use; but, it really work best as a support technology for bigger, more jaw dropping effects like fireworks or fountains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom