The Tipping Point For Change

DisneyMusician2

While I appreciate your opinion, personally, I find waiting on a bus to be frustrating. To me, driving is less stressful unless I'm like on I-4 stuck in a traffic jam.

If the bus doesn't arrive for 20 minutes, that's 20 minutes I could have been doing something else. Attraction queues are - generally - less annoying because they progress. I also don't mind the shuttle boats at Universal because the wait is usually less than 5 minutes.

I'm actually a little curious, how do people not get aggravated when they are trying to take a bus to an ADR, but the bus doesn't show, and that = (really) late to the ADR?
You're not wrong, I always make sure I leave a full hour before an ADR or that its walkable. And I loved DME, but without the luggage handling and check in which I wouldn't see ever coming back it was just really a bus the same as the Mears shuttle used to be. It was fun, but won't change my enjoyment of the trip much one way or the other. I took Universal's shuttle a month back and it was a really similar experience with a Universal movie instead of an ad loop.

MickeyLuv'r

You're not wrong, I always make sure I leave a full hour before an ADR or that its walkable. And I loved DME, but without the luggage handling and check in which I wouldn't see ever coming back it was just really a bus the same as the Mears shuttle used to be. It was fun, but won't change my enjoyment of the trip much one way or the other. I took Universal's shuttle a month back and it was a really similar experience with a Universal movie instead of an ad loop.
When I said Universal shuttle, I meant the onsite boats. Sorry for any confusion. The Universal boats are an excellent service when staying at Porto, Royal Pacific, and Sapphire. Hard Rock is so close to the parks, I usually just walk when staying there.

There was a period of some years that we used to take the buses around WDW. Back then we mostly stayed at the Swan, so even then we mostly just took buses to MK and AK.

One of the last times, we waited almost an hour for a bus to GF from AK for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. We were about 25minutes late. It was before the no show fee, but we were up against the end of breakfast hour/getting refused.

These days, we also don't do as many ADR's.

DisneyMusician2

When I said Universal shuttle, I meant the onsite boats. Sorry for any confusion. The Universal boats are an excellent service when staying at Porto, Royal Pacific, and Sapphire. Hard Rock is so close to the parks, I usually just walk when staying there.

There was a period of some years that we used to take the buses around WDW. Back then we mostly stayed at the Swan, so even then we mostly just took buses to MK and AK.

One of the last times, we waited almost an hour for a bus to GF from AK for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. We were about 25minutes late. It was before the no show fee, but we were up against the end of breakfast hour/getting refused.

These days, we also don't do as many ADR's.
No that was my fault, I misread, my apologies. And I've had that experience so I usually plan my park days with my dining for my ADR's so many are simply walkable or using other easier transportation. AK to GF is a HAUL! I'm also a planner who finds that a fun puzzle cause I clearly have a mental issue :)

DisneyMusician2

They've already degraded what used to be impeccable brand loyalty.

For me, what used to be "all-in" Disney vacations are now a couple days.

And I, as well as many social media Dis'ers I've noticed, have eyes on Universal to help scratch that theme park itch.
I've been using Universal for awhile but it really is two completely different experiences.

And have they? Demand seems to still be strong despite the doom and gloom most social media people seem to throw out there for extra clicks. I'm not saying I'm a fan of everything being done, but the numbers seem like they're not struggling to fill space.

ColdSarsaparilla

I've been using Universal for awhile but it really is two completely different experiences.

And have they? Demand seems to still be strong despite the doom and gloom most social media people seem to throw out there for extra clicks. I'm not saying I'm a fan of everything being done, but the numbers seem like they're not struggling to fill space.

Obviously, I don't have the data, but I'd bet there are fewer long-time, repeat guests and passholders.

erasure fan1

They have degraded brand loyalty. Mostly among the long time fans in that middle class range in my opinion. But it's blatantly clear they absolutely don't care about that demographic anymore. Like you said, they aren't struggling for people to pass through the gates. Will this new group of people be near 40yr visitors like I was? Time will tell. They have had zero push back from an attendance standpoint. So why bother trying, seems to be their attitude.

Ayla

Sold DVC renewed my pilots license and bought a plane. Funny thing family can fly down to MCO with me for about what it costs to fly southwest and we and the weather are in control of where we are going, best thing no TSA gropefest or long terminal lines.

there is lots of america to see with a small plane plus all the weird and wonderful expermentals one i saw the other day was a powered glider thing looks like the love child of a glider and a wind turbine
EAA is the place for you!

Turtlekrawl

While I appreciate your opinion, personally, I find waiting on a bus to be frustrating. To me, driving is less stressful unless I'm like on I-4 stuck in a traffic jam.

If the bus doesn't arrive for 20 minutes, that's 20 minutes I could have been doing something else. Attraction queues are - generally - less annoying because they progress. I also don't mind the shuttle boats at Universal because the wait is usually less than 5 minutes.

I'm actually a little curious, how do people not get aggravated when they are trying to take a bus to an ADR, but the bus doesn't show, and that = (really) late to the ADR?
During this last trip, our bus driver clipped another car when leaving the poly station. We had an ADR at Raglan Road and it was already tight. There was minimal damage and nobody hurt. But protocol stated we all had to stay in bus, fill out a demographic form, and wait for a special extra bus to arrive. In the meantime, 2 other DS buses came and went. We could not get out to get on one of those or take an Uber. The process took about 40 min. I was frustrated, but the bus driver felt so bad, and it was hard to be too angry. I called Raglan Road and told them the situation, and they said no problem. We arrived 30 min late but were able to get seated pretty quick.

I think if you are proactive and keep a level head, things tend to work out. But yes, sometimes I do get aggravated. 🙂

DisneyMusician2

They have degraded brand loyalty. Mostly among the long time fans in that middle class range in my opinion. But it's blatantly clear they absolutely don't care about that demographic anymore. Like you said, they aren't struggling for people to pass through the gates. Will this new group of people be near 40yr visitors like I was? Time will tell. They have had zero push back from an attendance standpoint. So why bother trying, seems to be their attitude.
What are we considering middle class and how often should they be able to go? Just curious as I’m never sure what people think.

Ahsoka102

In the Parks
No
Actually to me Golden Coral is better. Bigger choice, good food and much less cost. That's not because I live just 8 miles from the headquarters.
Sorry for the digression, but I just had to share this. Once at Golden Corral, I witnessed a kid grabbing plates from the stack of "clean" plates, licking them, and then putting them back in the stack. I have not been back there since.

skypilot2922

Actually to me Golden Coral is better. Bigger choice, good food and much less cost. That's not because I live just 8 miles from the headquarters.
In my life as a road warrior ive eaten many a satisfying meal at Golden Corral, it’s not gourmet but it’s reasonably priced and quality is consistently decent. Its a heck of a lot better than fast food.

skypilot2922

EAA is the place for you!

could not organize the time to get to Oshkosh this year😡 but next definitely, Also thinking about converting a project 172 i bought to one of the new Corsair engines vs replacing with the usual O-360 upgrade. The corsair is based on a outboard opposed cylinder V8 with redundant fuel injection and electronic ignition that of course would make the 172 an experimental

the scary thing is i can buy a project airplane for the cost of a week at WDW for 4 …. Just think on that for a moment

Goofyernmost

Sorry for the digression, but I just had to share this. Once at Golden Corral, I witnessed a kid grabbing plates from the stack of "clean" plates, licking them, and then putting them back in the stack. I have not been back there since.
I wonder if they have been sending that kid around to all the restaurants in the chain, just apparently to gross people out. I understand that it was probably not a pleasant thing to witness but not necessarily an indication of a normal operating procedure. I once, at a different restaurant, bit into a burger and cracked a tooth on a brass screw that somehow got into the beef. I don't think that the restaurant ordered the beef that way or that it was part of their contract with the vender. I still go to that restaurant and have for the last 40 years, not another brass screw to be found. Your experience was the fault of parents that probably should have been sterilized at a young age, not the restaurant. Covid fixed that problem anyway because now the plates are on the line and not just stacked up on a random kiosk.

Ahsoka102

In the Parks
No
I wonder if they have been sending that kid around to all the restaurants in the chain, just apparently to gross people out. I understand that it was probably not a pleasant thing to witness but not necessarily an indication of a normal operating procedure. I once, at a different restaurant, bit into a burger and cracked a tooth on a brass screw that somehow got into the beef. I don't think that the restaurant ordered the beef that way or that it was part of their contract with the vender. I still go to that restaurant and have for the last 40 years, not another brass screw to be found. Your experience was the fault of parents that probably should have been sterilized at a young age, not the restaurant. Covid fixed that problem anyway because now the plates are on the line and not just stacked up on a random kiosk.
100% agree is was the fault of the parents. And I am glad to hear they moved the plates to the line. I am willing to give it another chance then, especially since my kids and husband like it so much.

Goofyernmost

They've already degraded what used to be impeccable brand loyalty.

For me, what used to be "all-in" Disney vacations are now a couple days.

And I, as well as many social media Dis'ers I've noticed, have eyes on Universal to help scratch that theme park itch.
And in recent years they have scratched that itch quite well. Probably due to the fact that many of the tossed aside imagineers currently work for Universal parks. To this once unwavering Disney Loyalist they have in many ways become better than Disney even though I hate to admit it. What is sad is that Disney has always considered Universal a second rate wanna be. That is no longer the truth and they had better start taking them seriously. Without Uncle Walt's soothing voice and friendly demeanor the coat tails are getting pretty ragged looking.

That said though, I have never been a total immersion fan. I have since my first visit, stayed offsite and even sometimes spent almost two weeks in Kissimmee and only went to the Disney Parks for 4 of those days. The rest of the time I explored, I made side trips to Uni when it was built and fairly regularly after, Sea World, Cyprus Gardens, even up to Silver Springs and over to Kennedy Space Center. Went to numerous things on International Drive, Took helicopter rides over the parks and generally just wandered around Central Florida. Even used Kissimmee as a base for a two and a half day excursion drive through the Keys to Key West and back. One of the best rides I ever took. Disney was my basic destination, but since I get bored quickly, the idea of seeing other things was always a bigger draw. That doesn't mean I didn't love WDW. When I first went in 1983 it was, to me, the most spectacular thing I had ever seen and have enjoyed it for over 45 visits, but there are so many more things to see.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

100% agree is was the fault of the parents. And I am glad to hear they moved the plates to the line. I am willing to give it another chance then, especially since my kids and husband like it so much.
Wait until the Covid stuff is over. At this point they are running in low gear, with limited items available. No kids licking plates, but not the big choices they usually have. Of course, I live in what really is not a huge tourist attraction area so here it is not much more then a local restaurant so I don't know how the tourist area ones are dealing with everything. BTW, as a chain, I have never found a place that does Fried Chicken better or had a better salad bar. Disclaimer... I am not now nor have I ever been an employee of Golden Corral, nor has any of my family and my kids, to my knowledge, have never licked random plates!

Last edited:

AugieMorosco

I would say the boards also tend to attract a greater proportion of “doom and gloomers”. The overall tone here skews negative.
Interesting perspectives. My overall feel from these boards is that a large number of people here are those who are angry about everything Disney does, but still keep going. It creates a sort of overall sour tone in many of the discussions.

DisneyMusician2

And in recent years they have scratched that itch quite well. Probably due to the fact that many of the tossed aside imagineers currently work for Universal parks. To this once unwavering Disney Loyalist they have in many ways become better than Disney even though I hate to admit it. What is sad is that Disney has always considered Universal a second rate wanna be. That is no longer they truth and they had better start taking them seriously. Without Uncle Walt's soothing voice and friendly demeanor the coat tails are getting pretty ragged looking.

That said though, I have never been a total immersion fan. I have since my first visit, stayed offsite and even sometimes spent almost two weeks in Kissimmee and only went to the Disney Parks for 4 of those days. The rest of the time I explored, I made side trips to Uni when it was built and fairly regularly after, Sea World, Cyprus Gardens, even up to Silver Springs and over to Kennedy Space Center. Went to numerous things on International Drive, Took helicopter rides over the parks and generally just wandered around Central Florida. Even used Kissimmee as a base for a two and a half day excursion drive through the Keys to Key West and back. One of the best rides I ever took. Disney was my basic destination, but since I get bored quickly, the idea of seeing other things was always a bigger draw. That doesn't mean I didn't love WDW. When I first went in 1983 it was, to me, the most spectacular thing I had ever seen and have enjoyed it for over 45 visits, but there are so many more things to see.
There are so many things in the area you really should experience, I even got a kick out of LEGOLand with the kids. I don't understand why with many Disney fans it has to be one or the other. The recent moves by the company say to me that they are at a place where they aren't concerned about 'losing attendance' to other attractions unless it gets dire.

ppete1975

i never waited, they always had a fleet ready at the airport.. and the hotels time they said it would be there was perfect.
if youre talking about the ones to the parks... im a rope dropper and up way early so i eat breakfast stroll to the bus depot sit on a bench till a woman or elderly person arrives, give up my seat then patiently wait until a bus arrives (they come quite often) and im still there way before the park opens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom