The Tiki Gods would not be pleased

sissa216

After I thought about it, I kinda like the stitch idea (i can't remember who said it). I mean, they're gonna have stitch popping up in unusual places in the park anyway, aren't they? To me, the show as it is now pretty much blatently laughs in the guests face that they are doing everything just for money. The new tiki room represents a new low for disney (to me, at least). If they want to have a show that's a little more modern and incorporates Disney characters, Stitch would be entertaining.

AllAmerican

THE ORIGINAL TIKI ROOM

I was horrified when they screwed up the Tiki room, and yes it is that horrible. I have not been back since they ruined the show.... BUT I am even more horrified that they have made it seasonal.

I don't have any clue who the buffoon is that decides to make the classic shows seasonal, never re-carpet the Carousel of Progress or fix the chairs.... Never upgrade the sound system in the Country Bear Jamboree, or clean the animatronic figures.... BUT I do know that He/she is a complete and total profit driven MORON who has lost touch with the magic that Disney once was.

My kids would rather go to Universal Studios. I almost cried last time my kids said to me, "I don't want to go to Disney"

My dream has ended. Please exit to the left and trample me on the way out.

Where has the mouse gone?

tweet tweet tweet - tweet tweet

ALLAMERICAN

JackSkellington

I have't seen the new tiki room, but I loved the old one. All the classics seem to be phazing out of existence. It really is sad, to each of us they leave a memory and/or a thought of our childhood.

hoppypooh

My first visit to WDW was just recent so I never got to see the original in person - however I've heard it about a million times on my official album from the 1980's. I must admit it was a rude awakening to hear Iago there. I found him loud, obnoxious and not funny. I don't understand why they changed it! I strongly feel that they shouldn't tamper with the classics.

Hank Scorpio

Yet another 'don't touch our classics' thread.

Sorry guys but if things didnt move on we'd all be stuck in caves, hunting for our food and dying by the time we reached 25.

I think Disney has done a damn good job at maintaing attractions and implementing new ones as time has gone on. They can't keep a ride 'new' and entertaining forever. Disney would never have shut any of these rides or made them seasonal if they where crammed with guests all day long. :wave:

figmentmom

I like the Tiki Room, and I always make a point of going each time we're there. It's a shame to see it become a "seasonal" attraction, if that's what is happening here.

sissa216

Originally posted by Hank Scorpio
Yet another 'don't touch our classics' thread.

Sorry guys but if things didnt move on we'd all be stuck in caves, hunting for our food and dying by the time we reached 25.

I think Disney has done a damn good job at maintaing attractions and implementing new ones as time has gone on. They can't keep a ride 'new' and entertaining forever. Disney would never have shut any of these rides or made them seasonal if they where crammed with guests all day long. :wave:

Yeah, I agree they do a good job on maintaining old rides and implementing new ones, but to me Tiki is an exception from their normally high quality work. I'm not against updating classics, but I am disappointed in the way they changed this one. I am all for change (I loved Lion King and hated to see it go, but am now in love with Philhar). But in my opinion, Tiki is not up to par.

YoHo

The new Tiki room is hardly what I would call a good upgrade. A tolerable upgrade maybe.

As I said, as long as DL's stays I'm ok with it. I'm all for change. Disneyland after all was never finished and rides were swapped out all the time, but I have a problem with changes to the World's Fair attractions. Small World, Carosel (well, I don't mind changes in this so much), Mr. Lincoln and the Tikiroom

hoppypooh

I agree... tolerable at best. Most of the new rides are VERY exciting and enjoyable - but the new Tiki isn't. The original Tiki was sweet and cheezy - Iago is just so darn annoying now!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by se8472
am I the only one who likes this Tiki room?!?!?!?!?!? :veryconfu

Nope... I like it a LOT as well! :sohappy: :sohappy:

It seems that some people are just stuck in the past though *cough* No Names *cough* and choose to dislike anything thats new(er). :) :wave:

Legacy

The way management is going nowadays, I would rather have a tolerable upgrade than a crappy one.

The changed it appeal to a different audience, which was a bold move. They made a mistake though, and I am sure they are going to try and not do it again (Stitch). As long as they learn from the mistake of just making a tolerable upgrade rather than a terrific upgrade I think the whole thing will be for the better.

YoHo

To (mis)quote Thumper. If you can't do anything right. Don't do anything at all.

I'd rather they left it alone if they aren't gonna improve it.

General Grizz

Originally posted by DMC-12
It seems that some people are just stuck in the past though *cough* No Names *cough* and choose to dislike anything thats new(er). :) :wave:

I know I'm not one of those.

I can't stand the new show because it's a bad show. This has nothing to do with it being new. This has to do with having unfitting music and style in the Enchanted Tiki Room. I know that rap music and annoying birds stuck in for unsucessful publicity does not add to the Disney name in Adventureland. Nor does a mock-up of Walt Disney's first Animatronic pride and joy.

While many certainly appreciate this, why not update the Enchanted Tiki Room with tasteful enhancements?

Take the idea to add Stitch in Walt Disney World's Tropical Serenade.

• Keeping the Hawaiian feel as traditional to Adventureland
  • Boost the attendance WAY up
  • Mix new culture into original culture without constant obnoxious noises

The new show is doing pretty poorly. Compare a reduced operation attraction to CBJ, which now has crowds to close at park closing, and even the hidden Carousel of Progress. The new Tiki Show is at its same fate that it was in 1997, and Disney needs to learn that if they want to change something, make it GOOD. Mind-blowing.

Obnoxious parodies don't do this.

Remember Kitchen Kabaret? That original show has so many fans that a CARDBOARD SET laid out of the Land for just a few weeks attracted 10,000 visitors in just its first days!

Compare this to Food Rocks, the 1994 replacement of Food Rocks which relied on unoriginal music (although quite a funny show with its fans). However, because of some obnoxious qualities (i.e. the electric guitar Junkies in the Land) and un-original Disney tunes, the show fell into reduced operation and closed to a half-audience after 10 years of show.

Try comparing that to the TWO THEATERS packed and overflowing with guests all day at Disneyland's Country Bear Playhouse finale.

This is just an example of how new isn't better. Things have to be new AND Disney. JIYI was a half-butted replacement of JII that forced Disney to change it. It suffered from worse attendance than the original attraction, which wasn't even doing all that poorly.

If Disney wants to continue success, it must continue the traditions that has ALWAYS made Disney successful. They cannot turn their backs on heart-felt quality shows like they have been in the face of "hip" and "pop" facades, especially in the case of the Enchanted Tiki Room - Under New Management.

But tasteful shows, with quality, appeal to the original fans (because if Disney removes its classics, what nostalgia is left?), and attract new generations.

Iago and rap doesn't do this. I think Stitch really would.

But that's just my thought.

At ease!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by General Grizz
I know I'm not one of those.

Nope... Not at all... :) :wave:

I'm just saying that the thought that the earth might actually be round... and not flat after all.. really scares some people. :lol: :lookaroun

cloudboy

I'm just saying that the thought that the earth might actually be round... and not flat after all

Oh my!You must be joking!

Very well said, Grizz. Change to make something better, not just because of the novelty of it.

YoHo

Couple of things.

while the close of DisneyLAND Country Bears may have illicited large crowds, those crowds certainly weren't their when the ride was around. DL's CBJ has always been a bit of a stinker. that's why the show was changed in the 80s. It plays well in Florida and always has. Not so much in California.

secondly, I'd just like to add:

Veggie Fruit fruit Veggie Veggie Fruit fruit.

Bill

Account Suspended
Ah, the good ol days. Back when they actually used more boats on Listen to the Land. :lol: I love that elevator. lol.

AShaw75015

For my first post, I have to defend my beloved tiki room. Although I did not see the orignal version, before it was updated I think this attraction is cute. I agree that is not a thrill ride by any means, but it is still a good attraction to visit on a hot day. Ant that song, I can not get it out of my head. I am singing "in the tiki, tiki, tiki room for weeks after I get back from the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom