The Thrill is Gone

Just spent a week at WDW 1/1- 1/7. After 11 trips I think we are done. Disney is cutting corners in the wrong places.

Dining plan and food choices- Quick service plan now only provides 1 snack a day - it used to be 2 Very hard to eat healthy - most food is fried, and cold by the time you find a table. Desserts are cakes and sweets- would be nice if we could have fruit. Very few choices if you are on any special diet. We wound up buying food outside of the dining plan so we'd at least have a few decent meals.
Fast passes- you better get there during that window! They became sticklers for late arrivals and denied my child access to a ride. Even though we were delayed by the parade and couldn't get to the ride. Very rude customer service at the rides.
Shopping- overpriced and little variety. Expected more unusual stuff in Epcot. Cheezy Effiel towers at $35.00 in France that were made in China. Is that the best they can do?
They used to give 30% off coupons for shopping in morning. Reduced it to 20% and then gave us expired coupons that they would not honor.
Guest Relations- Very limited what they can do to help. They say they care but don't follow through on commitment.
FantasyLand- Really no big deal. They could have used the money to refurbish some of the dated rides.
Decorations- Every year at Christmas there would be the most beautiful decordations. You would hardly know it was Christmas. Each year there have been fewer decorations.

Mr_Incredible

Sigh. The dinning plan and everything that's included is clearly printed, and easy to read on their website, and all over this one every time it's released. You/we/everybody should know what it includes, and what the deal is before purchase, or else that's your fault.

Fast Pass time return changed monthhhhhssss ago!!! It gives you a good amount of time, if you don't get there in time, that's on you.

Everyone knows the prices of merchandise at disney. Been that way for a long time.

rufio

Just spent a week at WDW 1/1- 1/7. After 11 trips I think we are done. Disney is cutting corners in the wrong places.

Dining plan and food choices- Quick service plan now only provides 1 snack a day - it used to be 2 Very hard to eat healthy - most food is fried, and cold by the time you find a table. Desserts are cakes and sweets- would be nice if we could have fruit. Very few choices if you are on any special diet. We wound up buying food outside of the dining plan so we'd at least have a few decent meals.

You must have been in the wrong QS restaurants. I've never had problems finding a table even during days immediately following Christmas when parks shut down due to capacity. There are plenty of healthy choices if you actually look for them. There's an app for that. And like @Mr_Incredible mentioned, the Dining Plan's terms and conditions were there for you to read before you purchased it.

Fast passes- you better get there during that window! They became sticklers for late arrivals and denied my child access to a ride. Even though we were delayed by the parade and couldn't get to the ride. Very rude customer service at the rides.

Why would they let your child or anyone else on a ride if it wasn't in their time window? They give you an entire hour to make it back. If they let anyone on anytime, no matter what their fastpass said, fastpasses wouldn't be very effective. It would be a free-for-all.

Shopping- overpriced and little variety. Expected more unusual stuff in Epcot. Cheezy Effiel towers at $35.00 in France that were made in China. Is that the best they can do?
They used to give 30% off coupons for shopping in morning. Reduced it to 20% and then gave us expired coupons that they would not honor.

To be frank, it's Disney World. What did you expect? Everyone goes in knowing that everything they buy will be overpriced. It's part of the package. I'm sorry you don't get your 30% discount anymore, but 20% off isn't bad. I somehow doubt they printed you an expired coupon.

Guest Relations- Very limited what they can do to help. They say they care but don't follow through on commitment.

I don't have much experience with GR, so I don't have anything to say either way on that. I suppose it depends on what you expect them to do and for what reason.

FantasyLand- Really no big deal. They could have used the money to refurbish some of the dated rides.

Most of us are pretty happy with the way New Fantasyland turned out. If you're not, I'm sure the ones of us who plan to wait in the lines wouldn't mind if you bypassed it.

Decorations- Every year at Christmas there would be the most beautiful decordations. You would hardly know it was Christmas. Each year there have been fewer decorations.

I'm not quite sure if you're serious. I had no doubt that I was there during Christmas. Did you not notice the giant trees everywhere? How about the lights on the castle? Or the Osborne Lights? o_O

kbelle

Original Poster
Thanks all for the comments. I'm a seasoned WDW visitor so I had a pretty good idea what we were in for. For the past few years there has been a steady decline in the Magical Experience. Perhaps we will spend our hard earned vacation dollars and time elsewhere.

mouse_luv

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

swrtrr

Just curious. Were the CM's actually rude or did they just tell you something that you really didn't want to hear, thus your mistaking this for rudeness?

bsiev1977

Just curious. Were the CM's actually rude or did they just tell you something that you really didn't want to hear, thus your mistaking this for rudeness?

I'm with you. I'm guessing that the CM just wouldn't break the rules for them.
If the FP has an hour return window, don't wait to the last minute to head over. Then you won't get caught up in parades and such.

bsiev1977

Sigh. The dinning plan and everything that's included is clearly printed, and easy to read on their website, and all over this one every time it's released. You/we/everybody should know what it includes, and what the deal is before purchase, or else that's your fault.

Fast Pass time return changed monthhhhhssss ago!!! It gives you a good amount of time, if you don't get there in time, that's on you.

Everyone knows the prices of merchandise at disney. Been that way for a long time.

Here you go, ruining a perfectly ridiculous complaint with that pesky logic!
When I booked my trip for next December, I read every possible detail about the terms of the different dining plans before I made my choice. Wish more people did stuff like that, though it would reduce chances to make complaints and grand pronouncements about never coming back.

Disneyhead'71

kbelle, I am with you but you aren't going to get much sympathy here on WDWMAGIC. Disney taught me how to travel and I love their resorts so I looked toward the hotels that inspired their resorts when looking at spending my money elsewhere. And we have had a blast exploring this great country.

First, for our destination theme park vacations it's Disneyland Resort for the Disney Parks experience WDW no longer provides. Otherwise it's Universal Orlando Resort with a stay at the Portofino Bay Resort. Last summer we went snorkeling off of Key Largo and it was amazing. And the National Parks are always a great vacation. And I have found so many suitable substitutions for the Disney Resorts that I can make suggestions for any of them. And all of them have cool real world activities to go with them.

http://www.hoteldel.com/

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/old-faithful-inn-96.html

http://www.yosemitepark.com/the-ahwahnee.aspx

http://www.greenbrier.com/

http://www.cheeca.com/

http://www.littlepalmisland.com/

http://www.tenayalodge.com/

http://www.theinnatkeywest.com/

http://www.gardenshotel.com/

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycmq-new-york-marriott-marquis/

Just name your favorite Disney Resort and I'll find one to match it

Virtual Toad

@Disneyhead'71... I'm inspired! This looks like an excellent list. Have you stayed at all of these, and if so, which were your favorites? The Toad family is looking for vacation alternatives as the tadpoles are getting old enough to travel. Which Yosemite lodge did you like the most?

Disneyhead'71

@Disneyhead'71... I'm inspired! This looks like an excellent list. Have you stayed at all of these, and if so, which were your favorites? The Toad family is looking for vacation alternatives as the tadpoles are getting old enough to travel. Which Yosemite lodge did you like the most?
I have stayed at all of them except The Gardens Hotel in Key West. We stayed at The Inn at Key West.

Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite is VERY nice. But nothing can beat staying in Yosemite Vally at The Ahwanee Hotel. Unfortunately it is rather small and availability is tough to get without planning a year out or so. So we only did one night there then moved over to Tenaya Lodge for 3 more nights.

One of my absolute favorite places ever is Cheeca Lodge and Spa on Islamorada about 10 miles south of Key Largo. I took the kids (12 and 16/daughters) 5 miles out in the ocean to The Molasses Reef and chucked them out of the boat. With a Snorkel Tour operator, ok course. And they say it is by far the greatest thing they have EVER done in their lives (better that WDW, DLR, all the western National Parks, the Smithsonian/DC, or Times Square and couple of Broadway musicals). We saw black tip reef sharks, big barracuda, loggerhead turtles, and parts of an old shipwreck. It was amazing!

If you have younger kids, I HIGHLY recommend Yellowstone/Grand Teton. The grandeur of Yosemite and Grand Canyon NPs is kind of lost on them, but Yellowstone/Grand Teton has animals. LOTS and LOTS of animals (Buffalo, Elk, Bear, Moose, Eagles, etc.). And geysers. BIG predictable geysers. And The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone Canyon and Falls will give that adults in the group that WOW! that the other NPs provide. I love Yosemite and Grand Canyon NPs, but for kids Yellowstone freakin' rocks.

Yellowstone Canyon:

Grand%20Canyon%20of%20the%20Yellowstone.jpg

And 50 miles south of Yellowstone NP is Grand Teton NP:

grand-teton-national-park-264245-sw.jpg

s&k'smom

I'm sorry your trip wasn't what you had wanted. I'm still very gung ho on going this fall, working in the hotel industry I can be very picky and frankly look for certain cleanliness etc., so far have not been disappointed, thankfully.

copcarguyp71

They make chocolate and vanilla ice cream for a reason...some folks prefer one to another. I could spend a couple paragraphs going over the OP's points but to what end? Go elsewhere if you are unhappy but coming on here and posting this "unhappiness" with four whole posts on your count will:

A - Change nothing at Walt Disney World

B - Get you little sympathy here

Enjoy your vacations elsewhere but I very much doubt you will find souvenirs manufactured anywhere BUT China no matter where you go. We vacationed in Gettysburg PA a couple of years ago and even though it is where the bloodiest battle ever fought in this country occurred and where the Gettysburg Address was delivered there was not a single "Made in the US" sticker on ANYTHING...gotta say ya can't blame just Disney for that, blame the global economy.

BigRedDad

For some of this, you are upset that WDW is finally following rules? I have always hated that you could use FPs any time after the first time on the pass. I am 100% sure that if a first born child will die if not at the FP line during the time, EVERYONE would get there during that window. I am sure the parade schedule was posted, the FP had the time on it, and your decision made it so you couldn't get there in time. That is a personal choice.

I do not do the Dining Plans because I think they are a HUGE waste of money and my time. The portions are so huge we can share a meal. We also have the option to get healthier foods and we know where some of the quick service places are that have alternatives to burgers and chicken strips. The 2 times we had the meal plan, I returned home with 20-30 Mickey Rice Cake pops. We simply cannot use all of the credits.

We do not buy much stuff while there. We buy a few things, but we know ahead of time it is all over priced. I wait for it to go on sale at the Disney Store or it is something we don't really need.

menamechris

The OP is bringing up complaints that have been discussed countless times on these forums - So not exactly sure why some posters are acting as if these aren't valid concerns in the fan community. The Dining Plan has been whittled down while the price has been raised. Management has put CMs' into an awkward position of playing "Enforcer" as opposed to host - especially when it comes to things like FastPass. There is no question that the overall quality of the resort and guest experience is causing many to reassess where they spend their vacation dollars. Again, this is discussed on a constant basis, so not sure why some people are surprised someone had a "less than magical" trip all of a sudden.

Mr_Incredible

The OP is bringing up complaints that have been discussed countless times on these forums - So not exactly sure why some posters are acting as if these aren't valid concerns in the fan community. The Dining Plan has been whittled down while the price has been raised. Management has put CMs' into an awkward position of playing "Enforcer" as opposed to host - especially when it comes to things like FastPass. There is no question that the overall quality of the resort and guest experience is causing many reassess where they spend their vacation dollars. Again, this is discussed on a constant basis, so not sure why some people are surprised someone had a "less than magical" trip all of a sudden.

We arent surprised it happened, we're surprised she is SURPRISED it happened. Like you said, it's been discussed adneausem, its a common theme.

The threads "threatening" to never return to disney, on a disney forum is hysterical.

You said it best, it's been talked about the quality of dinning plan......so she still pruchases it, then complains post trip that its quality was bad?!

The fast pass time change? Again, beaten to death. So why be surprised when you can't return AFTER the posted time?

That's the issue that I, and probably others, have with this and all of these types of threads. Its nothing new, just same old complaining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom