The State of WDW attractions

EvilQueen-T

i know there's a lot of break downs of the rides (drives me crazy too) but doesn't it come down to the fact that the rides are aging and the parks are open much much longer hours than back in the day? for example take magic kingdom...back in the day when the rides were new the parks opened at 9 and closed max at 10 or 11pm. they always had basically 11p-9a to keep on top of repairs, tweaks, and basically just shutting down machines rather than them running and running nonstop. Now the parks may close as late as 3am and reopen at 8am over and over again on top of the rides being decades older. i think we have to face that it's like keeping an old car running...they break down more frequently and no matter how often you do refurbs they're still old machines running full time for long hours.

EOD K9

1. A long time ago, but does anyone remember on Peter Pan, that they used to have a dangling small Tinkerbell near the ride that used to bobble down from the ceiling? It looked almost the size of a Barbie but larger. It was hilarious. Just really cute. Then I went back and it was no longer there. Or I didn't see it..

Yes it was there years ago. I have it in one of my vids. Tinkerbell Barbie is alas gone.

Otamin

A bit off-topic, but how do the updates to Main Street compare to the others?

Also quickly speaking of the castle, am I alone in preferring the older pre-2006 colour scheme? I think it worked better, even if it is a subtle difference.

If it were up to me though it would be repainted to match the detail of the Tokyo castle, but obviously still kept unique.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There is no doubt that the 3D in Captain EO is blurry, no matter whose eyes you look at -- its old outdated 25 year old 3-D technology that really looked bad back then, it certainly doesn't look any better now. They sure as heck weren't going to update and digitize that old 3D print for an attraction that was only going to be there a few months. Its still there because its very popular, and because the new attraction isn't ready yet.
Or because they haven't thought of a new attraction yet. :oops:

luv

I think the EO film is fuzzy, too. I have always attributed that to the quality of 3-D in the 80s...but I'm so not a tech person and have no real idea why that is.

I am able to other other 3-D movies, so I don't think it's my eyes.

State of the parks? We rejoiced when Main Street got a paint job, lol. There's a hint.

But I agree with a pp. Go. See for yourself. Have your own experience. :)

Then come back and tell us what you thought.

rct247

Here some ratings of just a collection of attractions. These are my opinions.

GREAT CONDITION - Looking their best for what they are and when they were built (with or without refurbishments).
  • Under the Sea
  • Twighlight Zone Tower of Terror
  • Star Tours
  • IllumiNations
  • Spaceship Earth (other than no decent...it still looks great for its refurb)
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Dumbo
  • The Barnstormer
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
GOOD CONDITION - Looking pretty good for what they are and when they were built (with or without refurbishments).
  • Space Mountain
  • Toy Story Midway Mania
  • Muppet Vision 3D
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Oh Canada & Reflections of China
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
  • Mission: Space
  • Living with the Land
  • Mickey's Philharmagic
OK CONDITION - Looking just ok with some minor issues, but overall not really noticable.
  • Rock n' Roller Coaster (new blacklights are too bright in the coaster building)
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (had a very minor refurb but still showing wear and tear)
  • The Seas with Nemo & Friends (parts look great while others not so much including the dark carnivorus fish and just ok aquarium tanks)
  • Beauty & the Beast Live on Stage (great show, but sets look old and tired)
  • It's Tough to Be a Bug (each time I see the show I see an effect not working, plus to nets outside)
  • It's a small world
  • Soarin' (film needs to be updated to HD digital and needs to be cleaned better if it hasn't)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (minor set, projection, and animatronic issues but most guests never notice)
  • Main Street Electrical Parade (just needs an update or return of Spectro)
  • The Peoplemover (City of Tomorrow needs attention, track needs cleaning, cars need upgrade/less wear and tear, bring back old narration)
POOR CONDITION - Looking kind of shabby as of late. Needs a refurbishment.
  • The Great Movie Ride (update animatronics, refresh sets including loading area, bring in a new scene, update final film montage)
  • Carousel of Progress (update animatronics, redo final scene at least, refresh old sets)
  • Ellen's Energy Adventure (Ellen is still funny and relavent, but the attraction is dated and needs a refresh)
  • Maelstrom (update animatronics, redo a scene or two, update the film)
  • Peter Pan's Flight (SO DUSTY, update and clean sets to quality of Winnie the Pooh and Under the Sea)
  • Astro Orbiter (planets are missing and no longer spin, paint peeling, rockets need to be bigger)
  • Captian EO (film is old, quality isn't great)
  • Honey I Shrunk the Kids (gets lots of wear and tear, do kid even know this movie anymore, refub this to Bugs Life characters)
  • Innoventions (some parts look great, but overall it is empty and need more excitement)
  • Fantasmic (needs a show update badly and upgraded tech badly)
AWFUL CONDITION - Needs a major refurbishment or replacement.
  • Dinosaur (major refurb)
  • Stitch's Great Escape (replace)
  • Expedition Everest (major refurb)
  • Splash Mountain (major refurb)
  • Walt Disney World Monorail (major refurb)
  • Downtown Disney (major refurb/replace)
  • Tomorrowland Speedway (replace)
  • Studio Backlor Tour (replace)
  • Sounds Dangerous (replace)
  • Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable (replace)

thelookingglass

^ I mostly agree with your list, but Tower of Terror is actually in terrible condition if you know whats wrong with it. Example, just the other day I rode, and:
- the motors at the loading area were barely working. They used to be quite loud and creepy and move correctly with the sound. The sound is now barely there and it just sort of creaks slowly. (not in a good way, in a "this is obviously not doing what it's intended to do" way).
- The music was out of sync with the first scene on the elevator.
- The 5th dimension scene had a broken clock, missing ghost figures, missing breaking window, and only one of the two star doors were working
- The music and narration from after the drop sequence was playing as you entered the drop shaft combined with the usual narration.

Similar problems abound on every recent ride in the last couple years.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
you'd have to take hm off the list imo...how many times do you hear the announcement, "playful spirits have interrupted..."
That's not a breakdown or broken ride.

And resort wide, attractions used to operate far longer hours 20 years ago than they do now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here some ratings of just a collection of attractions. These are my opinions.

GREAT CONDITION - Looking their best for what they are and when they were built (with or without refurbishments).
  • Under the Sea
  • Twighlight Zone Tower of Terror
  • Star Tours
  • IllumiNations
  • Spaceship Earth (other than no decent...it still looks great for its refurb)
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Dumbo
  • The Barnstormer
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
GOOD CONDITION - Looking pretty good for what they are and when they were built (with or without refurbishments).
  • Space Mountain
  • Toy Story Midway Mania
  • Muppet Vision 3D
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Oh Canada & Reflections of China
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
  • Mission: Space
  • Living with the Land
  • Mickey's Philharmagic
OK CONDITION - Looking just ok with some minor issues, but overall not really noticable.
  • Rock n' Roller Coaster (new blacklights are too bright in the coaster building)
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (had a very minor refurb but still showing wear and tear)
  • The Seas with Nemo & Friends (parts look great while others not so much including the dark carnivorus fish and just ok aquarium tanks)
  • Beauty & the Beast Live on Stage (great show, but sets look old and tired)
  • It's Tough to Be a Bug (each time I see the show I see an effect not working, plus to nets outside)
  • It's a small world
  • Soarin' (film needs to be updated to HD digital and needs to be cleaned better if it hasn't)

• Just a few... TOT and ROE have serious issues. Known issues that are ignored.
    Space Mountain is in poor condition, SQ and ride wise. Holmes budget butchering in now coming to fruition. BTM is just out of refurb and has less effects working than ever.
    Soarin' isn't a mess. The built on the cheap projection room is.

To begin with The Jungle Cruise has desperately needed a refurbishment for years. It looks terrible. I think that buzz lightyears ride vehicles are absolutely disgusting. Really, they were so bad that I didn't want to sit in them. That's what generally happens when you keep recycling 30 year old vehicles. They're that old right?

The Barnstormer looks horrible. It actually use to have a queue with legitimate details. You use to walk through the barn. That was replaced with cheap props.

As for the Animal Kingdom attractions its easiest to use this philosophy, if its at the Animal Kingdom its likely terribly maintained. That's unfortunate too because the Animal Kingdom attractions were all quite good upon opening. On a sidenote its a shame that the poachers storyline was removed from the safari.

On to something positive, I feel like I might be the only one who doesn't think there's extreme bad show displayed on The Great Movie Ride. With the exception of the Footlight Parade sequence and the gangster car I really don't think the ride looks as abysmal as everyone would have you believe. Even though its almost 25 years old I feel the great movie ride is vastly more detailed then the majority of attractions they've put out within the last 15 years. I could understand replacing a scene such as Tarzan with something more modern but not because of any sort of maintenance issues (gosh never thought I'd say that.) I just don't think it looks that bad. I even like the swinging Tarzan so there you go. And if they were to update a scene you just know the attention to detail wouldn't come close to the way it was upon initial design. I'm imagining a pirates of the Caribbean scene where you're fully immersed by projection screens. Sounds great!

Mrs.Toad

Yes it was there years ago. I have it in one of my vids. Tinkerbell Barbie is alas gone. By EOD K9

LOL....you have it on vid! I just remember it hovering like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible and it was so silly but I loved the Tinkerbell.

s&k'smom

I was enjoying this forum and makes me think the last 3 times we visited Splash Mountain has broken down. As my DH and DD are riding Thunder Mountain my DS and I wait by splash mountain (he loves the water) and it is always down at one point during our trip. He still likes it though!

Jim ex-emporium

Let's all go to City Hall every time we are in the park and ask for Country Bear to be restored, and for a Christmas edition.

I miss the old one already!

Ferrara12,
Thanks for your well-thought-out introspection.
I could not agree with you more or thank you enough for saying what so many of us feel but will not for whatever reason.

Our brains are being spit upon by the Planet Earth's favourite company and we all should be saying "What the Hell?"

Walt is slushing over in his cryogenic chamber.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom