The Space Mountain 40

spacemtnfanatic

Original Poster
Heading down to the World starting Thursday night for my 10th WDW visit...which will also present me with my yearly challenge of beating out my old Space Mountain record.

Long story short....I have a freakishly weird obsession with SM, and I dedicate part of each day of the trip marathoning the ride. When I was in 5th grade on our first trip, I rode it 10 times and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Now, as a sophomore in college, we are up to the year where I attempt to ride it 40 times for a record I will probably never surpass. Granted, our trip is longer than ever before, but unless I get a week and a half, I doubt I will ever top 40. Plus, I don't like it to take more than 2 1/2 hours to do it each day so I can still enjoy the rest of the World each day.

In 1997 I rode 10 times on a 4 day trip. In '98, I upped it to 12 on another 4 day trip. It was down for rehab in '99, so when we went in '00 I upped it all the way to 18 rides on 4 short park days. 2001 made it 20 rides on the last 4 park day trip. In 2002 we added a fifth park day and I got 28 rides in. 2003 saw another 5 park day trip and 30 rides. 2004 was yet another 5 park day trip with 32 rides...and 2005 was, you guessed it, a 5 park day trip with 34 rides.

The general theme has been 2 extra rides with the exception of 2000 and 2002. However, since we are spending 6 days in the park this year, I really want to step it up and ride 40 times.

I know it's not much, but it's a personal thing and I really do look forward to it each year. As of now, I have ridden a total of 184 times, so I will get to have my 200th career ride this year as well.

Hopefully, ride # 40 of the year and 234 total will occur Wednesday January 11 around 11am.

Anyway, wish me luck!!! Headed down tomorrow night and spending Thursday at Universal and Islands of Adventure as a "warm up" before starting the yearly quest at The World on Friday. I'll post here Wednesday night the 11th upon my return as to whether or not I made it.

And yes, I do realize that this is not the most normal habit to have at WDW, but it's tradition and it's a bizarre love affair with SM.

SpongeScott

spacemtnfanatic said:
Heading down to the World starting Thursday night for my 10th WDW visit...which will also present me with my yearly challenge of beating out my old Space Mountain record.
I wouldn't do this, but to each his own. Let us know how it all turns out.

a2grafix

spacemtnfanatic -- DUDE! You are freakishly weird! :dazzle: :lol:

I can't believe it you have it down to an exact science when you expect to hit No. 40?!?!?! Wow.

Best of luck and congrats!

We are expecting a full report on or about January 12 or thereafter.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
In my late teenage years, I rode it 18 times... in a row. I've never even come close to doing that since, mostly because I did that back when early-mid December was slooooowwwww.

trr313

Good luck, how in the world do you manage riding it so many times with the wait times being so crazy sometimes?

junior247

Since youre such a SM afficionado, I guess you already know about some of its fun secrets. Well not secrets as much, but just fun random stuff. Like the listing of destinations on the wall as soon as you enter. You can find the star Sirius, and then the star Real Sirius - a hilarious joke few see. Then there is also the star World Ceres, for baseball fans. Then youve got the chocolate chip cookie meteors flying by on the ceiling. And if you can, try to grab one of the balls sitting around on the ground (toward the end of the first room queue) for a great souvenir.

spacemtnfanatic

Original Poster
I have never noticed "World Ceres" but have noticed the others. I always spend one trip through the line reading the departure board.

The only other thing I have never tried is to get a ball from the ballpit. I didn't think that would even be close to being possible.

As for being able to do it, we have always done the January trip (with the exception of one year on President's Day weekend..ugh) and ever since the addition of Fastpass, I have really been able to up my numbers. Every morning we arrive @ MK right as the ropes drop, and I ride for about an hour and a half to 2 hours...then the day may officially begin!

Leaving for the airport in about 4 1/2 hours!!!!!!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Space

I rode Space Mountain about 4x in a row on an EMH night long ago and far away (1997ish) and about :hurl: so GOOD LUCK!! :wave:

~heather

junior247

Usually, at the very end of the first room queue (right before you go into the dark, long hallway), you should be able to kick up a couple of the balls from the ballpit. A few stray away from the group closer to the wall, so you should be able to get one. The fastpass line would have a more difficult time finding any, since I thought the ground is lower on that side...
They may have changed this, and if theres a group of people behind you it may be difficult to stop for a moment, but the balls are there.

My friends and i, on a really rainy day, picked up a couple and bowled them down the empty hallway. I figure thats a souvenir that would be perfect for you. Not many can say theyve got a space mountain ball! Good luck!

spacemtnfanatic

Original Poster
Wasn't able to retrieve a ball....didn't even seem possible.

However....I was able to accomplish 40 rides in 6 days. T/R's coming in the next few days....let the post-Disney blues begin :(

Merlin

Account Suspended
junior247 said:
Usually, at the very end of the first room queue (right before you go into the dark, long hallway), you should be able to kick up a couple of the balls from the ballpit. A few stray away from the group closer to the wall, so you should be able to get one. The fastpass line would have a more difficult time finding any, since I thought the ground is lower on that side...
They may have changed this, and if theres a group of people behind you it may be difficult to stop for a moment, but the balls are there.

My friends and i, on a really rainy day, picked up a couple and bowled them down the empty hallway. I figure thats a souvenir that would be perfect for you. Not many can say theyve got a space mountain ball! Good luck!

You're encouraging theft of an attraction prop and referring to it as a "souvenir"? Where are your morals? Do you shoplift from the Disney gift shops too?:rolleyes:

Merlin

Account Suspended
spacemtnfanatic said:
Wasn't able to retrieve a ball....didn't even seem possible.

However....I was able to accomplish 40 rides in 6 days. T/R's coming in the next few days....let the post-Disney blues begin :(

Congratulations! I think that's very cool that you accomplished your goal. I was just curious if you have kept a tally of how many times you've ridden each individual track. And which side do you prefer?

rainfully

Wow... as I'm usually fastpassing that line or only going when it's a walk-on, I don't believe I've ever noticed a ball pit... I'm the most unobservant person ever... :lol:

spacemtnfanatic

Original Poster
I do not have a tally for total rides on each track. I prefer Omega....but Alpha was my first so I occasionally ride Alpha for a milestone ride (such as 200th total). However, aside from Year 1, I always ride Omega for the first and last ride of the year....and probably ride Omega 3 times out of 4.

dandaman

rainfully said:
Wow... as I'm usually fastpassing that line or only going when it's a walk-on, I don't believe I've ever noticed a ball pit... I'm the most unobservant person ever... :lol:

It's immediately when you walk into the building, below the big lit-up board listing quadrants/galaxies, etc.

SteveUK

This is quite weird, but if it was riding Small World that many times - I would be very scared of you!!!! However cool the ride, it must get boring and predictable eventually? I would think part of the thrill of SM and any 'dark' coaster is not knowing where the track is going. After that many rides, you must know the layout pretty well.

Merlin

Account Suspended
SteveUK said:
This is quite weird, but if it was riding Small World that many times - I would be very scared of you!!!! However cool the ride, it must get boring and predictable eventually? I would think part of the thrill of SM and any 'dark' coaster is not knowing where the track is going. After that many rides, you must know the layout pretty well.

I'm that way with DL's Space Mountain. I totally know every turn, dip, etc before it comes. To tell you the truth, though, it's still just as fun every time.

SteveUK

Well, if that is what you like - go for it and be happy. There are much worse hobbies to have. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the same ride many times - maybe just not quite that many times!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom