The Sorcerer's Hat Is Staying

Merlin0402

Original Poster
Well, I think that it's safe to say that the sorcerer's hat isn't going anywhere. As we all know, the park's icon/logo has been changed to the hat, some thought temporarily, but if you look at the interior photos of Once Upon A Toy at Orlando Rocks, specifically the one of the giant life wheel on the ceiling, you will see that all four logos are on the wheel, and MGM's isn't the Earful Tower. Before this, I'd never seen the new logo on anything that would be considered permanent, just maps and websites, so I guess there's no point in wondering anymore, it's here to stay.

JLW11Hi

You know, I dont mind the big Epcot sign on top of Spaceship Earth, but this doesn't seem right to me. I mean, the whole design of Hollywood Boulevard and everything the imagineers intended to have people see is now being disrupted by a giant Mickey hat at the end of the street. i wouldnt have minded it if they positioned it somewhere else, but they put it right smack dab in front of the chinese theater!! This was what I always thought was the centerpiece of the park, (besides the Earful Tower). I mean, mabey if there was an attraction in the hat, but all it is is a gift shop, I think.

Not only that, but the "hidden mickey" you could only see from flying over the central hub is now basically covered by a big hat.

Justin

Some of the things dont seem to fit to me either, I wondered that a few days ago at Epcot and asked my dad "I dont think that Epcot sighn ontop of Spaceship Earth Really fits, Why did they do so much to change it?" It just seems like there blocking out some of the disney moments, I remember when i could stand near the information place at MGM, look down the road and see the Great Movie Ride...

Now i look down The Road a see a great big huge hat... That kind of blocks the idea of the Hollywood, Chinese Theater. I dont mind the hat, But i wish it would have been placed somewhere else. Especially where it doesn't block something...

How about in front of the Bear in the big Blue House. :lol: :lol:

DisneyFreak721

Alright....I liked the Cake at the 25th. That was good..I liked it more because they took it down after the celebration was over.

I liked the 2000 at the Millenium Celebration, thinking that they were going to do the same thing. BUT NOOOOOOO. That "Epcot" sign is there now, and I don't like that at all. I already know where I am, and I dont need a reminder. I hope that goes away soon. I think it's an eyesore.

The Hat.....Where do I start. Sorcerer Mickey is one of my all time four favorite Disney Characters..Number 2 actually. And as much as I love that hat NOW, I would not want to see it still there after the 100 YOM is over. What I think they should do, is somehow take it and cover the Animation Courtyard in the studios, turning the INSIDE of the hat into sort of a roof, and when you stand under it, heading into The Magic of Animation or Voyage of the Little Mermaid...Or...(sigh)...Playhouse Disney and look up, you would see a moving collage of clips from the animated films. I don't know if the Diameter is wide enough to do this though, but I think it would be a great way to kind of bring DCA's Animation Attraction to Florida. Or maybe...That long-rumored Villain ride is going into the old Great movie ride building and that Hat is going to be the new entrance...you never know.

Justin

it would be great, (but...) Its in the wrong place, I think it makes a good window for seing the Chinese Theater down the road!!

jmarc63

Originally posted by Merlin0402
Well, I think that it's safe to say that the sorcerer's hat isn't going anywhere. As we all know, the park's icon/logo has been changed to the hat, some thought temporarily, but if you look at the interior photos of Once Upon A Toy at Orlando Rocks, specifically the one of the giant life wheel on the ceiling, you will see that all four logos are on the wheel, and MGM's isn't the Earful Tower. Before this, I'd never seen the new logo on anything that would be considered permanent, just maps and websites, so I guess there's no point in wondering anymore, it's here to stay.

It's kinda hard to see

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Quentin Disney
The hat is staying folks. Not only it is heavily represented in park media, but it is featured a lot of merchandise as well.

But that doesnt mean I wish it were!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Hasn't this been public knowledge since the hat was completed? It is a new Icon for the park... which was announced back when construction first started.

I don't undersand how this is news?

kookie1

Iheard from a friend of mine who is a cast member in the Sci-Fi dine in that they wernt decided yet wether to leave it up. Personally i think its in the way. I hope they take it down

dreamer

MGM was never as "Disney" as the other parks. For the most part it could have been built outside WDW and no one would have noticed the connection. Unfortunately, dropping a Mickey hat in the middle and ruining the original design doesn't add significant "Disney."

A while ago I heard that the hat would be moved to the entrance of Fantasmic! after the 100 Years of Magic celebration ended...I guess that's still a possibility, although it was just a rumor.

Oh....and the GENIUS(ES) who suggested to put that signage over Spaceship Earth should be fired!!! It's the one thing that makes me continually and genuinely angry and annoyed when I come to WDW. It's such an eyesore. I don't like it at all.

jimmybop

Not only that, but the "hidden mickey" you could only see from flying over the central hub is now basically covered by a big hat.

not really.... the part that it covers up is where his nose is... so its a BIG ponity nose now...

and its good that you can see it from most of the park... it works like the Castle in MK. Its at the center, and if you ever loose your place in the park (maybe not the people on this board.. but the lesser disney fanatics..) can figure out where they are by finding the hat.:)

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by jimmybop

not really.... the part that it covers up is where his nose is... so its a BIG ponity nose now...

and its good that you can see it from most of the park... it works like the Castle in MK. Its at the center, and if you ever loose your place in the park (maybe not the people on this board.. but the lesser disney fanatics..) can figure out where they are by finding the hat.:)

I guess you have a point there on how guests can find there way back if they ever get lost. (I know I get lost there all the time :lookaroun )

Yeah, you can still see the mickey, but I think they took out his eyes and everything to add the hat, or not, I havent seen any pictures of it lately. All I know is that when they first mad the hidden mickey, it looked a lot like Mickey's actual face, but with all the additions lately (like Sunset Boulevard), he is kinda being torn apart. Still, I am sure he still looks like mickey :)

It would have been cool if they could have put the hat more towards the entrance, so it would look like Mickey was wearing the hat. But that would have to be like in the middle of the street. Oh well, I am just rambling. Its all good :D

Merlin0402

Original Poster
This is news because the first, to my knowledge, use of the new icon on something permanent has just been unveiled to the public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom