The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantasmic Journeys [CONCLUDED!]

AceAstro

That is so much higher than I realized!!!

WOW

I don't know what, but I'll do some kind of prize for the first person to get a perfect score if anyone can lol
You have to take the top row all the way to the end and then work back to the split. The only bug I can't get is the one over the gap so just have to time missing it each way. Get that and it is a perfect 4450.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
You have to take the top row all the way to the end and then work back to the split. The only bug I can't get is the one over the gap so just have to time missing it each way. Get that and it is a perfect 4450.
I'll give a hint that might help....

The game can't tell if you are actually on top of an enemy. If you are "falling" when you collide with an alien you kill it even if it is a head on collision and you are just slightly past the peak of your jump.

But that is where my perfect run tends to end because I can only do that like 50 percent of the time

AceAstro

I'll give a hint that might help....

The game can't tell if you are actually on top of an enemy. If you are "falling" when you collide with an alien you kill it even if it is a head on collision and you are just slightly past the peak of your jump.

But that is where my perfect run tends to end because I can only do that like 50 percent of the time
I could only get that to happen once or twice. I was running so perfectly on that run I didn't want to risk it. May go back and try after I get first in the rest of the games :p

Chaos Cat

Just said in Team Space PM. Recorded here for posterity.
Okay, so my brain keeps misreading the quote as "sassy, gay anthropomorphic raccoon" and, like,
groots-death-brings-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-together-1591461245.jpg

it's not wrong, per say.

TwilightZone

I don't know you still haven't told me the forbidden fnaf lore
Once upon a time in the year 1980 something there was a man named Henry and his bff William and they make a restaurant called fredbear's family diner which features an animatronic show featuring two characters: a yellow bear known as Fredbear and a yellow bunny known as Springbonnie. The restaurant is a hit and inspired a show and merch. One day William gets drunk or something and kills Henry's daughter Charlie who then possesses the puppet. Sometime after that he kills more kids and rumors begin around about the robots being haunted. And also maybe sometime after that Circus Baby's Pizza World opens and his daughter gets killed and possesses Circus Baby? Maybe? Meanwhile his kid Evan (that's the idea of what his name is, seriously we don't know) is having his upcoming birthday and he is totally afraid of going to this place, meanwhile his older brother Mike keeps on tormenting him about it and his little Fredbear doll tells him that everything is going to be ok and stuff. The doll might be controlled by William with a walkie talkie or haunted we have no idea. Anyways his birthday happens, he gets shoved into the fredbear animatronics mouth and then it crunches down on his skull and he dies! The doll promises to put him back together and stuff and the spirit maybe goes in the doll and then goes into fredbear which then becomes golden freddy....maybe? And also golden freddy is double haunted because there's a kid's murdered spirit in there?

Somewhere between that the springlock suits, which are part animatronic and part suit have a massive malfunction killing a whole lot of people and they get discontinued. And also the original Freddy Fazbear's Pizza opens.

Now here's for the more solid stuff haha

Sometime after the OG Freddy's closes
William's son Mike is sent to Circus Baby's and discovers the deep secrets of the pizzeria. He gets scooped and the animatronics take over his body and then when his body rots they go out. Then through the power of remnant, which is a metal substance that keeps spirits in robots, he comes back to life and vows to search for his father.

The New and improved Freddy Fazbear's is opened with toy animatonics which have a police database to keep out criminals. However they are faulty and have some parts from the old possessed animatronics, making them at least partially possessed. Plus the power of agony which William has found makes certain objects come to life might also make them faulty. Meanwhile the old animatronics are still backstage, meaning poor Jeremy has to deal with a lot of animatronics. One day william comes back and murders a lot of kids with the springbonnie suit, gets arrested, and then Jeremy gets the day shift. Meanwhile Mike under the name "Fritz" takes the night shift. Jeremy gets bitten and the restaurant closes and the animatronics are no longer allowed to walk.

1998 (I think, honestly forgot the actual year)
Mike goes back to Freddy's for the nightshift and finds out through haunted newspapers what crimes his father committed and stuff. Years before he joined many nightguards have been killed at the job by the animatronics, including long time worker Phone Guy (we also don't know his name). During the same time he has reoccuring nightmares about animatronics invading his or Evan's childhood bedroom. Trauma of the bite returned to him during the job back at the refurbished old location.

EARLY 2020 SOMETHING I'M NOT KIDDING
Mike goes back to Freddy's, now known as Fazbear's Fright, where he finds his father has become springtrap. As it turns out William years prior came back and dismantled the animatronics, but then the spirits inside chase him and he goes inside the springlock bonnie suit. However it malfunctions and it kills him. Thanks to remnant and agony he's not truly dead and is now Springtrap. Mike burns down the place after a week in hopes of killing his father for good, but it doesn't work and the father escapes.

Meanwhile Henry the old work partner has made a trap to lure the remaining spirits: Springtrap, Circus Baby, Funtime Freddy, the Puppet, and Mike into one place so he can burn them all. And he's successful. Yay

THEN SPRINGTRAP GETS SENT TO HELL

Sometime after that, a video game company is founded and Fazbear entertainment is brought back, using old chips found from Fazbear's fright, they accidently bring William back to life in the form of Glitchtrap, who then tries to take over the minds of multiple employees including Jeremy, before taking over the mind of Vanny, the main protagonist.

And that's the lore pretty much give or take. Hope you liked my essay

I know this but not complex math....my brain is weird

pix

Once upon a time in the year 1980 something there was a man named Henry and his bff William and they make a restaurant called fredbear's family diner which features an animatronic show featuring two characters: a yellow bear known as Fredbear and a yellow bunny known as Springbonnie. The restaurant is a hit and inspired a show and merch. One day William gets drunk or something and kills Henry's daughter Charlie who then possesses the puppet. Sometime after that he kills more kids and rumors begin around about the robots being haunted. And also maybe sometime after that Circus Baby's Pizza World opens and his daughter gets killed and possesses Circus Baby? Maybe? Meanwhile his kid Evan (that's the idea of what his name is, seriously we don't know) is having his upcoming birthday and he is totally afraid of going to this place, meanwhile his older brother Mike keeps on tormenting him about it and his little Fredbear doll tells him that everything is going to be ok and stuff. The doll might be controlled by William with a walkie talkie or haunted we have no idea. Anyways his birthday happens, he gets shoved into the fredbear animatronics mouth and then it crunches down on his skull and he dies! The doll promises to put him back together and stuff and the spirit maybe goes in the doll and then goes into fredbear which then becomes golden freddy....maybe? And also golden freddy is double haunted because there's a kid's murdered spirit in there?

Somewhere between that the springlock suits, which are part animatronic and part suit have a massive malfunction killing a whole lot of people and they get discontinued. And also the original Freddy Fazbear's Pizza opens.

William's son Mike is sent to Circus Baby's and discovers the deep secrets of the pizzeria. He gets scooped and the animatronics take over his body and then when his body rots they go out. Then through the power of remnant, which is a metal substance that keeps spirits in robots, he comes back to life and vows to search for his father.

The New and improved Freddy Fazbear's is opened with toy animatonics which have a police database to keep out criminals. However they are faulty and have some parts from the old possessed animatronics, making them at least partially possessed. Plus the power of agony which William has found makes certain objects come to life might also make them faulty. Meanwhile the old animatronics are still backstage, meaning poor Jeremy has to deal with a lot of animatronics. One day william comes back and murders a lot of kids with the springbonnie suit, gets arrested, and then Jeremy gets the day shift. Meanwhile Mike under the name "Fritz" takes the night shift. Jeremy gets bitten and the restaurant closes and the animatronics are no longer allowed to walk.

Mike goes back to Freddy's for the nightshift and finds out through haunted newspapers what crimes his father committed and stuff. Years before he joined many nightguards have been killed at the job by the animatronics, including long time worker Phone Guy (we also don't know his name). During the same time he has reoccuring nightmares about animatronics invading his or Evan's childhood bedroom. Trauma of the bite returned to him during the job back at the refurbished old location.

Mike goes back to Freddy's, now known as Fazbear's Fright, where he finds his father has become springtrap. As it turns out William years prior came back and dismantled the animatronics, but then the spirits inside chase him and he goes inside the springlock bonnie suit. However it malfunctions and it kills him. Thanks to remnant and agony he's not truly dead and is now Springtrap. Mike burns down the place after a week in hopes of killing his father for good, but it doesn't work and the father escapes.

Meanwhile Henry the old work partner has made a trap to lure the remaining spirits: Springtrap, Circus Baby, Funtime Freddy, the Puppet, and Mike into one place so he can burn them all. And he's successful. Yay

Sometime after that, a video game company is founded and Fazbear entertainment is brought back, using old chips found from Fazbear's fright, they accidently bring William back to life in the form of Glitchtrap, who then tries to take over the minds of multiple employees including Jeremy, before taking over the mind of Vanny, the main protagonist.

This is, with no exaggeration, the literal best thing ever. This is a trip in the best way and you are so detailed it makes me happy.

Mickeynerd17

This is what happens when you get drunk kids!

D Hulk

0MPJzpa.jpg

This round was meant to be a pure free-for-all of fun, and all three teams seized that challenge. These three projects are, to my taste, the three most exciting projects of the season to date! With arcades and pinball cabinets being something not seen before (or often, at least) in Armchair Imagineering, the chance for experimentation was nearly limitless. You didn’t disappoint! There were creative ideas, out-of-the-box presentation elements, and simply a pure sense of fun throughout. Forgive me if I overuse the word “fun” in these reviews.

Because of the unique nature of these presentations, I’ll review ‘em in a different manner tonight. (Also I can’t sleep so I’m up past midnight doing this.) So I’ll review every team at once, dividing things up by components.
irbUtHE.jpg

PRESENTATION

As stated, this prompt was largely a blank canvass for fun presentation ideas. Each team provided top notch presentations which would’ve been unheard of in past seasons. Across the board, custom artwork helps sell the ideas and setting, some done with visual precision, others with more passion than skill (but no worse for it).

Team Space - @Homemade Imagineering did a stellar job managing this team, really rising to the occasion. The website is incredibly striking right out of the gate, with a delightful comic book look. Solid organization, ambitious design.

There are sadly some sloppy elements which stand out in sharp contrast. The introduction doesn’t mention your chosen location – IMG Worlds of Adventure – which is parsed out instead from later details. Similarly, individual attraction components often don’t receive a specific description, so I’m left to interpret what precisely Argon the Aardvark is. Early typos like “meniacal” in the second sentence stand out. Nice custom embedded videos are contrasted with video links. With a bit more proofreading, and a bit more statement-of-purpose in carefully establishing your project, your wonderful ideas will shine all the brighter.

The fact that @Homemade Imagineering created an honest-to-goodness homemade animatronic is next-level stuff!

Team Reality – Google Sites has dominated this season, so it’s a calculated bold risk to do Google Docs instead. It sets your arcade apart. This style benefits from a purely linear readthrough, and the project is carefully structured to take advantage of that – building to the pinball machine crescendo, with a dining/retail epilogue, all with careful establishing descriptions throughout so we never lose track of the overall project. Masterfully done, and good “Prime Ministering” from @Tegan pilots a chicken. Visuals throughout are clear and evocative, from the custom maps to the well-chosen DC Comics imagery.

The standout, of course, are the playable video games by @Pi on my Cake. This is something I cannot recall ever seeing in Armchair Imagineering before. It’s exactly the sort of revolutionary touch I was hoping for with this prompt. Top marks, Pi!

Team Time – Another beautiful website, one which is a joy to navigate and one which crisply captures the colorful, clean style of Hannah Barbera animation. Very nice work, especially with the frequent use of appropriate character pictures to accompany your descriptions. Your overall project feels the most realistic. That starts with how carefully, how precisely your locate your arcade within WB World’s Cartoon Junction, incorporating modified WB maps and everything. This is a thoroughly solid, professional presentation, with many nice custom elements. While it lacks a standout surprise like animatronics or video games, it captures the presentation basics the best.

dubai_07.jpg

ARCADE

What makes a good theme park arcade? Really, I don’t know, and I was looking for teams to provide me with the answer. Each team rightly included a wide assortment of plussed attractions, in addition to the more standard coin-op amusements. Each team integrated arcade elements nicely with their chosen roster of characters.

Team Space – The Marvelous Funcade has a neat premise. The villain Arcade gives you a great framing device. I especially love the giant Rubik’s Cube. Around that, the expected Marvel heroes all make an appearance. In contrast to the other teams, the basic arcade offerings could have used a bit more attention. (Marvel vs. Capcom, anyone?) Rather, you leap directly into the specialized attractions – an animatronic comedy revue, laser tag, a VR ride, plus shopping/dining. (Also go-karts on the map, but I didn’t notice a write-up for them.) A decent dossier of distractions.

The Guardians of the Galaxy laser tag is a standout, thanks entirely to some great dialogue by @NigelChanning; Rocket’s voice came through crystal clear. Maybe there’s too much talk? Not enough description of the setting, either verbally or visually?

As for Avengers: Arcade Attack…each team did arcade rides. There’s a fine line to straddle here. Interactivity is key. Without it, the ride can feel more “theme park,” and less “arcade.” This ride, with its Jurassic World sphere VR tech demo gimmick, sits right on that line. I would enjoy a little more rider control, and less of a pre-scripted sequence, which surely this ride tech could do. The giant pinball setting is inspired.

Team Reality – Locating your DC Funverse technically outside of WB World…I’m torn on that choice. But no matter, the interior is a delight! You’ve covered a wide gamut of DC characters, which is doubly impressive when the whole team expressed ambivalence about the IP. Nearly every element is thoroughly described (67 pages!), from the individual arcade machines with specialized character theming, to the more unique upcharges. Even the basic things are carefully divided by theme, with the Themyscira area and Shazam’s area being highlights.

Larger-scale attractions include laser tag (everyone did that), mini golf, go-karts, a KUKA arm VR. This is a solid assortment. Characters appear in unexpected places (SuperHero Girls go-karts?!), which is a constant delight. The write-ups really sell these elements, with some fun in-character moments, in-depth run-throughs, you’ve covered every base. There’s a constantly bonkers, zany tone, which suits the both the prompt and Team Reality.

And of course even tiny things like restrooms and trash can get mentioned!

Team Time – HB Ultimate Arcade is seamlessly incorporated into WB World’s Cartoon Junction. Thematically, visually, you’ve effortlessly captured the land’s rich, cartoony vibe. With the Hannah Barbera theme, you’ve even strengthened this land. I love how the arcade interior is thematically sub-divided into further zones, each perfectly fusing arcade necessities with specific Hannah Barbera IPs. You have a good choice of off-the-shelf machines (I love Theater of Magic!), and like Reality you successfully merge characters with activities.

Your roster of signature attractions is the strongest of the three: bowling, a pedal “coaster,” micro car racing, laser tag, an escape room, plus dining. All combined, this feels very appropriate for an arcade inside of a theme park. Dirk Dastardly’s Man-Powered Flying Contraptions is a (hilariously) ideal combination of interactivity and dark ride, which uses the second floor well to interact with the whole arcade. Wacky Accelerated Racing seems like a very “U.A.E.” thing to add. The escape room is simply well thought out, thorough, and fun. So to is the laser tag. Across the board, the chosen Hannah Barbera themes flawlessly fit the activity. My only extremely minor gripe is Flintstones Bowling, and that’s only because WB World has a Bedrock land elsewhere.

img_9423.jpg

PINBALL

Pinball design is a wholly new field for us, with no set rules…and as a result we got three very different approaches to the game. They’re so different, it’s hard to qualitatively compare them.

Team Space – With Thanos’ Gauntlet Assembly, it’s clear that @Mickeynerd17 has no real pinball knowledge. (Flippers are called “paddles,” etc.) But given that handicap, he’s found a unique way to approach the challenge. MineCraft is a specialty of his, and it’s used creatively here. The “on-ride” video from the pinball’s perspective, following train tracks through the machine interior, that’s a really fun thing!

Assembling the Infinity Gauntlet is a natural premise for a pinball game. The gameplay approach you’ve chosen…it isn’t strictly realistic. Colored balls (not interchangeable with other pins) would be a technical headache. Easier to use standard metal balls to unlock specific Infinity Stone ball locks by hitting specific ramps or drop targets. And when the Gauntlet is completed, MULTIBALL! Even without knowing pinball, you’ve imagined a game I could see working with a few tweaks, so well done!

Team Reality – With Joker’s Pinball Madhouse, @tcool123 set out to create a true showstopping E-ticket pinball machine. That’s definitely a valid approach to this prompt. This game employs some crazy gimmicky bells-and-whistles – the immersive, responsive RFID environment, the vertically stacked playfields – to create a pinball experience you cannot get at your average pin parlor. That’s a blessing and a curse. These are the least realistic aspects of a very creative game.

The fundamental, underlying game playthrough though is incredibly solid. It’s super in-depth, for one thing! And the progression of gameplay stages, defeating assorted Batman A-lister villains until you reach the Joker, this is all very believable for a modern pin. Plus it reminds me of retro legends like Funhouse. The character voice work is a superb touch. It’s clear that you know your pinball, since even with all the U.A.E. wackiness going on there’s a solid game underneath. (But no multiball?)

Team Time – Scooby Doo Where Are You?, by @JokersWild (supervised by @Sharon&Susan, who is also a pinhead), is easily the most realistic pinball game presented. I genuinely want to play this! It’s actually shocking that Stern hasn’t made a Scooby pin yet, it sounds exactly like the sort of license they’d do in 2021. (I researched the matter, and there are a ton of custom made Scooby cabinets but nothing official yet.)

Presentation elements like the backboard and the rule set both feel like the real deal. The playfield arrangement and the gameplay objectives are all 100% in tune with modern pinball design. The playthrough is epic, with a good progression of objectives. This would reward frequent replays. Plus there’s multiball – hooray! – with the laugh-out-loud name “Let’s Split Up the Gang.” You’ve eschewed gimmicks to simply create an incredibly believable, realistic game. Great work!

Final thoughts: I truly enjoyed this round. It really is tearing me up, choosing between these projects. All of them were a blast to read! All were a frenzied sugar rush of pure joy! Across the board fantastic work, everybody!​

James G.

Sorcerer’s Apprentice Season 7

Team Space, Stanza VI​

As long as my last guest review was, this one will be that much shorter. Sorry- lack of time in my real life. Just a few observations.

• @Homemade Imagineering did a terrific job leading his team, keeping things organized, inspiring them to do their best. Sometimes, though, when you have lots of ideas being thrown around, you have to just say, “OK, we have plenty of ideas. I believe that this idea (fill in the blank) is the best choice for our proposal.” If you want to add, “and here’s why…” that’s fine, too.
  • Did I miss the description of the Iron Man Go-Karts in the presentation?
  • Argon’s Corner needed to be fleshed out a bit more in the presentation. It’s a unique addition- don’t let it feel like a malfunctioning Chuck-E-Cheese (however you spell it) that everyone ignores. It is too good an Easter Egg to dismiss without more description.
  • I was hoping for the pic of the Hulk pizza…other than that, your food choices looked good.
  • You had a great variety of activities for your arcade, and a good sense of unity in theme.
  • The Minecraft Video Game was really remarkable. My son once tried to teach me how to do Minecraft…after an hour he declared that I was a moron. I am in awe of your work!
  • I didn’t mention everything, but overall I thought this was a good, solid presentation, and you used your combined talents to their best advantage. Terrific work, Team Space!!
Everyone on Team Space needs to be proud of your work, your cooperation and your support of each other. I hope I can give more detailed guest reviews in the future, but know that I’m having a great time watching you from the lurker’s loft and seeing the unity your team shows.

tcool123

(But no multiball?)
The Penguin unleashes a multiball titled bombs away if players time it right with a hidden alleyway. So while not the traditional multiball per say the concept of it is present.

It’s clear that you know your pinball, since even with all the U.A.E. wackiness going on there’s a solid game underneath.
Thank you 😊
I’d like to thank all those hours spent in my uncle’s game room playing on the four pinball machines of Old Chicago, Surf Champ, Jungle and my personal favorite Jurrasic Park (1993 the one with a gun for the start button) 😍
Good morning teams,
I will have my reviews out later this morning. In the meantime, if anyone can secure one of these for me.....

I can be bought.

View attachment 534928
I’ve got a half eaten bagel and some loose assorted change would that work?

Last edited:

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
0MPJzpa.jpg

This round was meant to be a pure free-for-all of fun, and all three teams seized that challenge. These three projects are, to my taste, the three most exciting projects of the season to date! With arcades and pinball cabinets being something not seen before (or often, at least) in Armchair Imagineering, the chance for experimentation was nearly limitless. You didn’t disappoint! There were creative ideas, out-of-the-box presentation elements, and simply a pure sense of fun throughout. Forgive me if I overuse the word “fun” in these reviews.

Because of the unique nature of these presentations, I’ll review ‘em in a different manner tonight. (Also I can’t sleep so I’m up past midnight doing this.) So I’ll review every team at once, dividing things up by components.
irbUtHE.jpg

PRESENTATION

As stated, this prompt was largely a blank canvass for fun presentation ideas. Each team provided top notch presentations which would’ve been unheard of in past seasons. Across the board, custom artwork helps sell the ideas and setting, some done with visual precision, others with more passion than skill (but no worse for it).

Team Space - @Homemade Imagineering did a stellar job managing this team, really rising to the occasion. The website is incredibly striking right out of the gate, with a delightful comic book look. Solid organization, ambitious design.

There are sadly some sloppy elements which stand out in sharp contrast. The introduction doesn’t mention your chosen location – IMG Worlds of Adventure – which is parsed out instead from later details. Similarly, individual attraction components often don’t receive a specific description, so I’m left to interpret what precisely Argon the Aardvark is. Early typos like “meniacal” in the second sentence stand out. Nice custom embedded videos are contrasted with video links. With a bit more proofreading, and a bit more statement-of-purpose in carefully establishing your project, your wonderful ideas will shine all the brighter.

The fact that @Homemade Imagineering created an honest-to-goodness homemade animatronic is next-level stuff!

Team Reality – Google Sites has dominated this season, so it’s a calculated bold risk to do Google Docs instead. It sets your arcade apart. This style benefits from a purely linear readthrough, and the project is carefully structured to take advantage of that – building to the pinball machine crescendo, with a dining/retail epilogue, all with careful establishing descriptions throughout so we never lose track of the overall project. Masterfully done, and good “Prime Ministering” from @Tegan pilots a chicken. Visuals throughout are clear and evocative, from the custom maps to the well-chosen DC Comics imagery.

The standout, of course, are the playable video games by @Pi on my Cake. This is something I cannot recall ever seeing in Armchair Imagineering before. It’s exactly the sort of revolutionary touch I was hoping for with this prompt. Top marks, Pi!

Team Time – Another beautiful website, one which is a joy to navigate and one which crisply captures the colorful, clean style of Hannah Barbera animation. Very nice work, especially with the frequent use of appropriate character pictures to accompany your descriptions. Your overall project feels the most realistic. That starts with how carefully, how precisely your locate your arcade within WB World’s Cartoon Junction, incorporating modified WB maps and everything. This is a thoroughly solid, professional presentation, with many nice custom elements. While it lacks a standout surprise like animatronics or video games, it captures the presentation basics the best.

dubai_07.jpg

ARCADE

What makes a good theme park arcade? Really, I don’t know, and I was looking for teams to provide me with the answer. Each team rightly included a wide assortment of plussed attractions, in addition to the more standard coin-op amusements. Each team integrated arcade elements nicely with their chosen roster of characters.

Team Space – The Marvelous Funcade has a neat premise. The villain Arcade gives you a great framing device. I especially love the giant Rubik’s Cube. Around that, the expected Marvel heroes all make an appearance. In contrast to the other teams, the basic arcade offerings could have used a bit more attention. (Marvel vs. Capcom, anyone?) Rather, you leap directly into the specialized attractions – an animatronic comedy revue, laser tag, a VR ride, plus shopping/dining. (Also go-karts on the map, but I didn’t notice a write-up for them.) A decent dossier of distractions.

The Guardians of the Galaxy laser tag is a standout, thanks entirely to some great dialogue by @NigelChanning; Rocket’s voice came through crystal clear. Maybe there’s too much talk? Not enough description of the setting, either verbally or visually?

As for Avengers: Arcade Attack…each team did arcade rides. There’s a fine line to straddle here. Interactivity is key. Without it, the ride can feel more “theme park,” and less “arcade.” This ride, with its Jurassic World sphere VR tech demo gimmick, sits right on that line. I would enjoy a little more rider control, and less of a pre-scripted sequence, which surely this ride tech could do. The giant pinball setting is inspired.

Team Reality – Locating your DC Funverse technically outside of WB World…I’m torn on that choice. But no matter, the interior is a delight! You’ve covered a wide gamut of DC characters, which is doubly impressive when the whole team expressed ambivalence about the IP. Nearly every element is thoroughly described (67 pages!), from the individual arcade machines with specialized character theming, to the more unique upcharges. Even the basic things are carefully divided by theme, with the Themyscira area and Shazam’s area being highlights.

Larger-scale attractions include laser tag (everyone did that), mini golf, go-karts, a KUKA arm VR. This is a solid assortment. Characters appear in unexpected places (SuperHero Girls go-karts?!), which is a constant delight. The write-ups really sell these elements, with some fun in-character moments, in-depth run-throughs, you’ve covered every base. There’s a constantly bonkers, zany tone, which suits the both the prompt and Team Reality.

And of course even tiny things like restrooms and trash can get mentioned!

Team Time – HB Ultimate Arcade is seamlessly incorporated into WB World’s Cartoon Junction. Thematically, visually, you’ve effortlessly captured the land’s rich, cartoony vibe. With the Hannah Barbera theme, you’ve even strengthened this land. I love how the arcade interior is thematically sub-divided into further zones, each perfectly fusing arcade necessities with specific Hannah Barbera IPs. You have a good choice of off-the-shelf machines (I love Theater of Magic!), and like Reality you successfully merge characters with activities.

Your roster of signature attractions is the strongest of the three: bowling, a pedal “coaster,” micro car racing, laser tag, an escape room, plus dining. All combined, this feels very appropriate for an arcade inside of a theme park. Dirk Dastardly’s Man-Powered Flying Contraptions is a (hilariously) ideal combination of interactivity and dark ride, which uses the second floor well to interact with the whole arcade. Wacky Accelerated Racing seems like a very “U.A.E.” thing to add. The escape room is simply well thought out, thorough, and fun. So to is the laser tag. Across the board, the chosen Hannah Barbera themes flawlessly fit the activity. My only extremely minor gripe is Flintstones Bowling, and that’s only because WB World has a Bedrock land elsewhere.

img_9423.jpg

PINBALL

Pinball design is a wholly new field for us, with no set rules…and as a result we got three very different approaches to the game. They’re so different, it’s hard to qualitatively compare them.

Team Space – With Thanos’ Gauntlet Assembly, it’s clear that @Mickeynerd17 has no real pinball knowledge. (Flippers are called “paddles,” etc.) But given that handicap, he’s found a unique way to approach the challenge. MineCraft is a specialty of his, and it’s used creatively here. The “on-ride” video from the pinball’s perspective, following train tracks through the machine interior, that’s a really fun thing!

Assembling the Infinity Gauntlet is a natural premise for a pinball game. The gameplay approach you’ve chosen…it isn’t strictly realistic. Colored balls (not interchangeable with other pins) would be a technical headache. Easier to use standard metal balls to unlock specific Infinity Stone ball locks by hitting specific ramps or drop targets. And when the Gauntlet is completed, MULTIBALL! Even without knowing pinball, you’ve imagined a game I could see working with a few tweaks, so well done!

Team Reality – With Joker’s Pinball Madhouse, @tcool123 set out to create a true showstopping E-ticket pinball machine. That’s definitely a valid approach to this prompt. This game employs some crazy gimmicky bells-and-whistles – the immersive, responsive RFID environment, the vertically stacked playfields – to create a pinball experience you cannot get at your average pin parlor. That’s a blessing and a curse. These are the least realistic aspects of a very creative game.

The fundamental, underlying game playthrough though is incredibly solid. It’s super in-depth, for one thing! And the progression of gameplay stages, defeating assorted Batman A-lister villains until you reach the Joker, this is all very believable for a modern pin. Plus it reminds me of retro legends like Funhouse. The character voice work is a superb touch. It’s clear that you know your pinball, since even with all the U.A.E. wackiness going on there’s a solid game underneath. (But no multiball?)

Team Time – Scooby Doo Where Are You?, by @JokersWild (supervised by @Sharon&Susan, who is also a pinhead), is easily the most realistic pinball game presented. I genuinely want to play this! It’s actually shocking that Stern hasn’t made a Scooby pin yet, it sounds exactly like the sort of license they’d do in 2021. (I researched the matter, and there are a ton of custom made Scooby cabinets but nothing official yet.)

Presentation elements like the backboard and the rule set both feel like the real deal. The playfield arrangement and the gameplay objectives are all 100% in tune with modern pinball design. The playthrough is epic, with a good progression of objectives. This would reward frequent replays. Plus there’s multiball – hooray! – with the laugh-out-loud name “Let’s Split Up the Gang.” You’ve eschewed gimmicks to simply create an incredibly believable, realistic game. Great work!

Final thoughts: I truly enjoyed this round. It really is tearing me up, choosing between these projects. All of them were a blast to read! All were a frenzied sugar rush of pure joy! Across the board fantastic work, everybody!​
Thanks for another thoughtful and enthusiastic review, Big Green!! I’m glad you appreciate our zaniness! And I definitely agree with you that these three projects were all a ton of fun and a joy to read!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom