The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 4: Homecoming Edition - Discussion Thread

Suchomimus

Looking at Pixar Pier, it looks kinda underwhelming. The lifeless figures on the Incredicoaster and the new stands like Poultry Palace make the place look cheap like something from Motiongate Dubai. Though the Lamplight Lounge looks gorgeous and most of the boardwalk games look fun; though I think they missed an opportunity to incorporate Finding Nemo or Dory where Goofy About Fishing was.

spacemt354

Chili's
tenor.gif
Think @IDInstitute you illiterate fool.
Did it cross your mind that perhaps he just didn't see it?

TheOriginalTiki

Better that JW 1?

JW1 was such a massive letdown for me. They had the ball in their court with the fully completed theme park premise, but they absolutely fumbled with ridiculous dialogue, a terrible villain, sub-par CGI and what amounts to a non-existent "plot". Fallen Kingdom on the other hand...it might not be a perfect movie by any stretch, but I've got to go with the unpopular opinion that I loved it as a life-long Jurassic fan. Speaking as someone who also loved Last Jedi (yes I know I'm opening up a can of worms with this :p ) I think Fallen Kingdom is the Jurassic franchise's version of that. It's a bold movie that takes some really interesting, out of left field turns with the mythology of the franchise, and I personally think those risks paid off even if I'm clearly in the minority.

MAJOR spoilers. Read at your own risk
honestly the opening and closing scenes freaking MAKE the movie right there. Both of them are just as good as anything in the first film. The ending especially gave me something I never thought I'd see again from a Jurassic movie which is a genuine child-like sense of wonder. Dinosaurs and humans now have to co-exist. What the hell is that going to be like? The possibilities are ENDLESS for the third film now. Welcome...to Jurassic World ;)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
How is it compared to JW1? I just watched it a couple weeks ago and didn’t think it was that good.
I liked JW 2 a lot! The characters made some dumb decisions (especially towards the end) but nothing to the point that it ruined it for me.

Compared to the first one, this one came together a lot better imo. It had a more distinct tone/style and more unique plot than "JP 1 but bigger". Plus it is clear Chris Pratt has grown a lot as an action star between movies. In the first one he felt kinda forced playing the big tough serious guy. He seems a lot more natural in the role now.

Nothing tops the original Jurassic Park though.

AceAstro

JW1 was such a massive letdown for me. They had the ball in their court with the fully completed theme park premise, but they absolutely fumbled with ridiculous dialogue, a terrible villain, sub-par CGI and what amounts to a non-existent "plot". Fallen Kingdom on the other hand...it might not be a perfect movie by any stretch, but I've got to go with the unpopular opinion that I loved it as a life-long Jurassic fan. Speaking as someone who also loved Last Jedi (yes I know I'm opening up a can of worms with this :p ) I think Fallen Kingdom is the Jurassic franchise's version of that. It's a bold movie that takes some really interesting, out of left field turns with the mythology of the franchise, and I personally think those risks paid off even if I'm clearly in the minority.

honestly the opening and closing scenes freaking MAKE the movie right there. Both of them are just as good as anything in the first film. The ending especially gave me something I never thought I'd see again from a Jurassic movie which is a genuine child-like sense of wonder. Dinosaurs and humans now have to co-exist. What the hell is that going to be like? The possibilities are ENDLESS for the third film now. Welcome...to Jurassic World ;)

Didn’t you love how the IndoRaptor could figure out how to open doors?

That part got me really annoyed and that they somehow got the T-Rex even though a minute earlier it was with Pratt and Co. meaning it should have fallen into the water as well.

TheOriginalTiki

I liked JW 2 a lot! The characters made some dumb decisions (especially towards the end) but nothing to the point that it ruined it for me.

Compared to the first one, this one came together a lot better imo. It had a more distinct tone/style and more unique plot than "JP 1 but bigger". Plus it is clear Chris Pratt has grown a lot as an action star between movies. In the first one he felt kinda forced playing the big tough serious guy. He seems a lot more natural in the role now.

Nothing tops the original Jurassic Park though.

Yea, nothing's ever going to top the original JP but at the very least Fallen Kingdom has individual sequences and imagery that are just as good if not better than stuff in the first film which is honestly far beyond my wildest expectations for the movie haha. In regards to the dumb decisions, there's one KEY one towards the end of the movie the internet is going crazy for which I think is totally in line with the character and everything that's been built up to at that point. If anything I think Fallen Kingdom has two absolutely FANTASTIC set-pieces with the island and the mansion, but unfortunately the stuff in act two getting between the two locations is the messiest and slowest paced part of the movie and keeps it from being "great".

Definitely agree on Pratt. He's going to be one of those actors that mostly plays himself, but he's much more comfortable with doing that here than in the first one. I feel like in this one he's embracing the Star-Lord of his own fame but doing so in a way that's not just a diet coke version of a Guardians performance. My problem with Pratt in this franchise (and really with every character in the JW timeline not directly connected to Hammond or the original films...) is the writing. I just don't think Owen as a person gives us a lot to work with. Literally his motivation in this movie is building some kind of weird barn in the middle of nowhere, haha.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

Lol sounds like we thought about the same stuff

I think the decision by the characters to release the Dino's was dumb. I get preserving their lives but how many lives are those Dino's gonna take? But I can accept the stupid decision by the characters but it leads to a really interesting concept that I'm excited to see them build upon on future movies. Hugely excited for the potential there.

TheOriginalTiki

Lol sounds like we thought about the same stuff

I think the decision by the characters to release the Dino's was dumb. I get preserving their lives but how many lives are those Dino's gonna take? But I can accept the stupid decision by the characters but it leads to a really interesting concept that I'm excited to see them build upon on future movies. Hugely excited for the potential there.

what sold me on the decision was that it was the clone girl who ultimately released the dinosaurs. Obviously given the circumstances she's going to feel a level of empathy for them that Pratt and Claire simply can't. I love the clone girl reveal in general and the fact that it builds on the mythos of John Hammond. I'm fascinated by the idea that human cloning was a bridge Hammond wouldn't cross in the genetic engineering field. And yea you're right, the potential this one sets up for a final Jurassic movie really is off the charts. Easily the best sequel bait in the entire franchise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom