The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 4: Homecoming Edition - Discussion Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
To me, one of the best scenes in Pixar history is the climax of Finding Nemo. Two words: SWIM. DOWN.

Finding Nemo will always be my favorite Pixar movie, and that scene encapsulates the spirit of the film: the triumph when we all work together to face advertisity, and the feeling of being re-united with the ones you hold most dear. It's something I wish we had more of in this world.

A noble scene to choose indeed! Pixar is at its best when it brings the emotional punch up that's been building throughout the whole film. There are some scenes that are shocking, others just plan sad like the Married Life scene in Up, but most of my favorites happen an hour + into the film like this one.

Due to the recency effect, my Pixar top films keep changing but I have to say Inside Out and Coco have become instant classics like Finding Nemo and Toy Story for me.

Suchomimus

3ab.jpg
578d5dbe06a13.jpeg

DisneyManOne

Sir, reporting high levels of sass!

I can't tell if the decision to use this scene as the first teaser was bad or brilliant. I mean, it seems like the typical kids movie "kid has to put up with uptight parents" cliche; but on the other hand, it hides the fact that this movie is a deep, insightful look at depression and coping. After all, without Sadness, there is no Joy.

Suchomimus

We should try to make a top Pixar scene list -- that is definitely on there.

The ending of Up when the clouds reveal where their house landed is also just...:cry:
Although I don’t have a top Pixar scene, there is one scene that is very impactful for me and that’s from Toy Story 3 and it’s because of this.

You can see why this scene is so emotional. Lots’o has betrayed them and left them for dead and it seems like the toys have no hope in escaping the furnace.
And as they slide down, they all join hands and accept their death; together.

spacemt354

Chili's
I can't tell if the decision to use this scene as the first teaser was bad or brilliant. I mean, it seems like the typical kids movie "kid has to put up with uptight parents" cliche; but on the other hand, it hides the fact that this movie is a deep, insightful look at depression and coping. After all, without Sadness, there is no Joy.
I'm glad this only scratched the surface of how deep the movie got with emotions -- but when I first saw this...we really hadn't gotten a 'great' Pixar film (imo at least) since Toy Story 3 at the time, so watching this it immeditaly took me back to the innovative Pixar I knew from an ad. So i could see why they used it -- and it also encapusulated pre-teen/adult interaction perfectly. :p

AceAstro

Although I don’t have a top Pixar scene, there is one scene that is very impactful for me and that’s from Toy Story 3 and it’s because of this.

You can see why this scene is so emotional. Lots’o has betrayed them and left them for dead and it seems like the toys have no hope in escaping the furnace.
And as they slide down, they all join hands and accept their death; together.

To me, this scene was rough. But the “So long, partner” a little later in the movie absolutely destroyed me. I was crying for a while after those two scenes :cry:

AceAstro

Toy Story gets more impactful as you get older for some reason -- as a kid I just liked the Toys, but as you get older you understand the layers the films present.
Absolutely! I think them waiting as long as they did for Toy Story 3 added to it too. If it was released 2-3 years after TS2 it wouldn’t have made a big difference to me. But when TS3 came out I was going into High School so I knew in just a few years that the same thing that happened to Andy would happen to me and it was just crushing.

TwilightZone

Absolutely! I think them waiting as long as they did for Toy Story 3 added to it too. If it was released 2-3 years after TS2 it wouldn’t have made a big difference to me. But when TS3 came out I was going into High School so I knew in just a few years that the same thing that happened to Andy would happen to me and it was just crushing.
forget high school, that movie mad me sad in 8th grade (ps I am not in 8th grade anymore).
also it was the last time I was close to crying in a movie in the theater.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We should try to make a top Pixar scene list
That is a tall order.

I mean, you have this:

And, then this:

Which is epic.

But, personally...the one that breaks me up every time...

Because...it leads to the contrast of this...

(partially because I have a child of my own, and partially because...I did this...at about that age. I ran away.

Last edited:

AceAstro

Another film that has emotional moments is Finding Dory, and this is largely because of the interactions between Dory and her parents.

There’s something about a little child being separated from her parents and being reunited years later that is very tear jerking.

Honestly, I can’t think of a recent Pixar film that didn’t make me cry. I had a feeling this was going to happen and it still destroyed me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom