The Shanghai Disneyland effect on our 3.5 billion

RSoxNo1

If anything, I could see Shanghai convincing Disney to avoid building new resorts in areas where they don't have any control. This means more money invested where we as fans see the need: France and US.

Vegas Disney Fan

I've seen the 300 million people stat quite a few times so I don't think they'll have any problem packing the parks, I do wonder what the pricing in Shanghai will be since the cost of living and wages in China are much lower than the US. I found one report that says the average wage in Shanghai is the highest in mainland China but still only 5,891 yuan (US$942) a month, the cost of living is about 4-5 times cheaper than in the US so $942 can go a long ways but I can't imagine Disney will be able to sell tickets for the equivalent of $99 US. Even with only one kid a single day would cost a family a third to half of their monthly income, Disney is expensive in the states but no where near that expensive.

FutureCEO

I've seen the 300 million people stat quite a few times so I don't think they'll have any problem packing the parks, I do wonder what the pricing in Shanghai will be since the cost of living and wages in China are much lower than the US. I found one report that says the average wage in Shanghai is the highest in mainland China but still only 5,891 yuan (US$942) a month, the cost of living is about 4-5 times cheaper than in the US so $942 can go a long ways but I can't imagine Disney will be able to sell tickets for the equivalent of $99 US. Even with only one kid a single day would cost a family a third to half of their monthly income, Disney is expensive in the states but no where near that expensive.

Hong Kong is $499 HK dollars which I have no clue how that is in American $. If the website, I went to was right it's $64. So I'm guessing the prices would be around that price or a little lower. It still amazes me that there are going to be 3 resorts in the same area.

WDW to DL is about 2500 miles. Toyko to Kong Kong is the farthest apart and is 1800 miles. And yes, I'm rounded up. Shanghai to Hong Kong is 800 miles. But then again you have 3 or 4 billion people in that part of the world.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Shanghai Disneyland will be successful, no need to worry.

Here is my prediction. This park is going to be a big success. A second gate for Shanghai is all ready being planned and will start construction within two to three years of the Resort opening. Shanghai wants to be the number one Disney Resort in the world and surpass Walt Disney World.

Sam Magic

Here is my prediction. This park is going to be a big success. A second gate for Shanghai is all ready being planned and will start construction within two to three years of the Resort opening. Shanghai wants to be the number one Disney Resort in the world and surpass Walt Disney World.
of course it wants to be number one. Hell China wants to be number one, why else would they build the Nicaraguan Canal.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Recheck your numbers, you got both wrong.

Considering NFL started in 2009...
2009-2014 - last time I checked subtracting 9 from 14 was 5.

Kong supposed to open Mid 2016 - Started Jan 2015, Official announcement in May 2015, Yeah that's about 18 months... Hmm TPWMNBN can build a E-ticket in little over a year, Disney can build a C-ticket in half a decade... Yet once they built entire theme parks in 2 years.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
I don't think money will be slashed for two reasons. One, as stated before Disney is only on the hook for 43-44% of the venture. SO it really is 1.5 Bil+ out of their pockets. No worries there! Two, they have built in fanbase. That fanbase isn't going anywhere.

That being said, I'm kinda jealous looking at what Shanghai is getting. I want WDW to be the best, even better than DL. Disney has to come through for us when it comes to Hollywood "insert name here." Rumblings, at least on here, they are going to deliver. I guess we will get a sneak peek of it when it comes to Avatar.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Kong supposed to open Mid 2016 - Started Jan 2015, Official announcement in May 2015, Yeah that's about 18 months... Hmm TPWMNBN can build a E-ticket in little over a year, Disney can build a C-ticket in half a decade... Yet once they built entire theme parks in 2 years.

But the mine ride did not start construction in 2009.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

Wrong again. Mine ride did not start in 2009.

tl77

They seem to have spent the past few years "financially reinforcing" WDW with things like the DVCs & Disney Springs, which are just a low cost way to make a profit from their property (Flamingo Crossing would be a similar kind of thing as well), but if they want to keep people on their property and spending money at WDW, they need to turn the 3 Half-day Parks into Multi-day Parks, which is what they are in the process of doing.

The problems in the 90's were mostly due to the fallout from Eisner's failed ideas in like the new Tomorrowlands on each coast, the 2 hour back stage tour version of MGM (that they're still sorting out) and the massive failures in Florida of Disney University and Celebration... but before they got around to addressing any of that mess there was the 9/11 travel scares and the 2008 recession to deal with, all of which put WDW probably 10 to 15 years behind where it should be at this point in time

Thankfully someone has finally woke up and realized that they aren't making any money from the large, empty, plots of land that were set aside for "future expansion" decades ago, and there rally isn't any upside to waiting, or not finishing off the parks now

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Thanks Steve

So it looks like Disney and Universal build things at about the same speed, maybe a little faster for Universal but not much. I think Disney made a big mistake when it went public with Avatar before any planning was done. This made the wait time for the opening way longer than normal. I think we will see shorter dates on the next projects because a lot of planning is being done before announcing the projects to the public.

dstrawn9889

So it looks like Disney and Universal build things at about the same speed, maybe a little faster for Universal but not much. I think Disney made a big mistake when it went public with Avatar before any planning was done. This made the wait time for the opening way longer than normal. I think we will see shorter dates on the next projects because a lot of planning is being done before announcing the projects to the public.
and that also drives everyone mad... a deluge too early, a trickle too late, no one is gonna be happy

captainmoch

So it looks like Disney and Universal build things at about the same speed, maybe a little faster for Universal but not much.
Well, just saying, in a little less then that time, Universal made Diagon Alley, a Gringotts e-ticket, and a Hogwarts Express d-ticket. A whole lot more then just a kiddy rollercoaster in less time.

ULPO46

Well, just saying, in a little less then that time, Universal made Diagon Alley, a Gringotts e-ticket, and a Hogwarts Express d-ticket. A whole lot more then just a kiddy rollercoaster in less time.
The problem with the current Walt Disney Company is that they aren't the biggest baddest big kid on the block any more. You have countless companies stealing talent from the would be imageineers with bigger budgets and bolder ideas. Look I worship TWDC but even I have to admit I am being very impressed with Universal, Busch Gardens, Six Flags, and regional parks like Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion and many others. Sure the 3.5 billion when announced will be nice to officially hear if the rumors are ever so persistent. But Disney just bluntly isn't the same any more. Everyone is able now to give the same product and kill it every time. All that is special about Disney now is it's brand name. Because if it wasn't for the brand and the characters we'd be just as happy to talk about Universal without being shunned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom