The Seas with Nemo & Friends getting a makeover?

Bocabear

I don't care if this has been said a thousand times, it needs to be said again. Bring the Living Seas back like it was. Why? because it worked, it was fun, it was entertaining, and I might have even learned something along the way. I continue to be so disappointed with the Nemo ride. A group of 3rd graders could design a better attraction during their recess break.
While I think it is a bit more sophistcated than third graders on recess, it is definitely aiming WAY too low. It teaches us nothing about the seas anymore...unless you go through every possible exhibit inside. The only thing we learn now is that Nemo is missing again...but snickering while everyone looks for him, and then the only really great thing they did, the projections in the tank and it's over...it is cute... but cute is not enough for a subject as epic as The Living Seas... Why could there not have been a pre-show area where Mr Ray could have taught us a little of the content in the first film... Why could Nemo and friends been swimming with us in the hydrolators down to SeaBase Alpha and then given us a sea cab tour...there was so much more they could have done...it could have been a rich experience instead of the one note attraction it has become.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Hi @sshindel. I would love to hear your ideas on how to update this place because right now there is no real cohesiveness at The Seas with Nemo pavilion. I just usually find myself wandering around aimlessly from room to room. It's not bad or anything and I do have fun, but The Seabase Alpha concept was a full immersive experience and much better, IMO.

jidnyc.jpg

4hbp20.jpg

97lem9.jpg

This Seabase Alpha and The Living Seas thing is all so new to me. I was just browsing through old pictures and The Living Seas looked so much nicer!

w7lhyp.jpg

2ylnrs0.jpg

After seeing what was there before I really detest Nemo taking over and should not be there at all. Nemo is a much better fit for something in AK.

Unfortunately, without a major sponsor like United Technologies -- Finding Dory is the only way that Disney will invest.

Honestly, I think this is way worse than Frozen in Epcot. LOL.

I've written on this a bit before, due to the terms of service I don't think I should link to it. As much as I love self-promoting, I don't want to peeve off the powers that be on the forums.
Try Googling "The Living Seas With Nemo Manifesto" and there are a couple things that might pop up...

I was writing from the perspective of finding a way to work with the characters to make a more cohesive pavilion, and one that might not be a massive overhaul. I think in honesty I'd rather go back to non-character personally.

JohnWD

Hi @sshindel. I would love to hear your ideas on how to update this place because right now there is no real cohesiveness at The Seas with Nemo pavilion. I just usually find myself wandering around aimlessly from room to room. It's not bad or anything and I do have fun, but The Seabase Alpha concept was a full immersive experience and much better, IMO.

jidnyc.jpg

4hbp20.jpg

97lem9.jpg

This Seabase Alpha and The Living Seas thing is all so new to me. I was just browsing through old pictures and The Living Seas looked so much nicer!

w7lhyp.jpg

2ylnrs0.jpg

After seeing what was there before I really detest Nemo taking over and should not be there at all. Nemo is a much better fit for something in AK.

Unfortunately, without a major sponsor like United Technologies -- Finding Dory is the only way that Disney will invest.

Honestly, I think this is way worse than Frozen in Epcot. LOL.

As usual, you are stirring things up! I worked for UTC, and we spent a lot of time at The Living Seas (and the VIP lounge) in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I found the place BORING! But the a/c and free drinks and snacks in the VIP lounge were awesome! :) Doing the swimming with the dolphins and the snorkeling made the place much more interesting, but also a little expensive. I love the Finding Nemo ride and Turtle Talk, so I think these both were GREAT additions. I also really enjoy the Mantas and the educational shows. The Living Seas and Universe of Energy were originally of the same ilk, and I think both evolved to become more fun for the whole family. I will now duck and cover!

Siren

Original Poster
Me too...I would love the have the original pavilion back...Hydrolators and all, and then maybe add Nemo as projections in the tanks on the sea cab ride talking about the wonders of the ocean... Do you think anyone now gives a thought to how the oceans were formed? How extraordinary the seas are? they changed the focus to just being about the cartoon fish... which is a shame. So I would welcome any change in the direction back to what it was when it celebrated the technology and educational aspects of The Seas...
Oh wow! These are really great ideas and topics and most importantly they're timeless. The ocean is truly fascinating and will always be. There is so much that we still don't know and have yet to discover.

What we have now, is a pavilion that's cute and a little fun but the original pavilion looked authentic and exciting, especially the hydrolators! I would love to see emphasis placed mostly on The Seas, again.

Siren

Original Poster
Welcome to the club ;)
Thank you, @Seabasealpha1! I am like so honored to be a part of the club. LOL.

I don't care if this has been said a thousand times, it needs to be said again. Bring the Living Seas back like it was. Why? because it worked, it was fun, it was entertaining, and I might have even learned something along the way. I continue to be so disappointed with the Nemo ride. A group of 3rd graders could design a better attraction during their recess break.
Ouch! That's so harsh. LOL.

Anyway, since the Nemo ride had the sea shell cars first, I was really disappointed to see The Little Mermaid ride with the *exact* same shells. Like, really Disney. But, I think the sea shell cars suit The Little Mermaid ride much better. So, we really don't need the Nemo ride anymore.

Disney should just gut the Nemo ride completely and create something truly state of the art, some kind of deep sea exploration or something like that and some of the Nemo characters can make a cameo appearance during the ride. And then, tie in all the exhibits to make it a full experience.

Is there a diagram of the old ride versus the new ride showing where you're in the tank that's now covered up?
I would love to see that, too.

While I think it is a bit more sophistcated than third graders on recess, it is definitely aiming WAY too low. It teaches us nothing about the seas anymore...unless you go through every possible exhibit inside. The only thing we learn now is that Nemo is missing again...but snickering while everyone looks for him, and then the only really great thing they did, the projections in the tank and it's over...it is cute... but cute is not enough for a subject as epic as The Living Seas... Why could there not have been a pre-show area where Mr Ray could have taught us a little of the content in the first film... Why could Nemo and friends been swimming with us in the hydrolators down to SeaBase Alpha and then given us a sea cab tour...there was so much more they could have done...it could have been a rich experience instead of the one note attraction it has become.
I totally agree and very well said.

Siren

Original Poster
I've written on this a bit before, due to the terms of service I don't think I should link to it. As much as I love self-promoting, I don't want to peeve off the powers that be on the forums.
Try Googling "The Living Seas With Nemo Manifesto" and there are a couple things that might pop up...

I was writing from the perspective of finding a way to work with the characters to make a more cohesive pavilion, and one that might not be a massive overhaul. I think in honesty I'd rather go back to non-character personally.
OMG! @sshindel - you are so *highly* talented and gifted. I just browsed one page from your AMAZING blog and I am totally blown away. I think it's brilliant, creative and astonishingly pragmatic. Disney should totally place you on the payroll.

The Hatbox Ghost

I love Nemo and as I first started to read this I was *very* (<- I learned that from Siren just now lol) much against making any changes. That is until others brought up Seabase Alpha which conjured up memories I had forgotten about (no Dory jokes please :eek:). I totally forgot how awesome that pavilion was! Some great ideas here on how both concepts can be incorporated into a new refurb with the emphasis on education, hope it happens!

Siren

Original Poster
As usual, you are stirring things up! I worked for UTC, and we spent a lot of time at The Living Seas (and the VIP lounge) in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I found the place BORING! But the a/c and free drinks and snacks in the VIP lounge were awesome! :) Doing the swimming with the dolphins and the snorkeling made the place much more interesting, but also a little expensive. I love the Finding Nemo ride and Turtle Talk, so I think these both were GREAT additions. I also really enjoy the Mantas and the educational shows. The Living Seas and Universe of Energy were originally of the same ilk, and I think both evolved to become more fun for the whole family. I will now duck and cover!
Hey @JohnWD! I think it's so awesome that you worked for United Technologies! But, really? You think The Seas with Nemo & Friends is better and that Sea Alphabase and The Living Seas was BORING?!? Wow. I don't know what to say.

You and I tend to agree on pretty much *everything*, so color me confused. It certainly doesn't look better. I *love* the application of Detroit Tigers colors in the original pavilion so much better. I figure whoever designed the new pavilion must be a serious Miami Dolphins fan or something. Like, how many shades of turquoise does one need? There is something about the combination of orange, blue and white that is so aesthetically appealing to me -- whenever you wear these colors you are certain to turn heads. LOL.

Anyway, thanks @JohnWD I really value your opinion and it's nice to have a different point of view.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
A while back I posted a very interesting article from The Economist that shed light on the recent theme park investment boom. Literally, billions upon billions of dollars are being invested in theme parks globally. And, the primary criteria for the mass majority of new theme park investments is based solely upon successful IP franchises.

Finding Dory has just surpassed Captain America: Civil War at the box office as the highest grossing movie of 2016 in just three weeks time.

So, there is a high probability that something related to this franchise will receive a green light. And, since Epcot is rumored to receive billions for upgrades, it is a real possibility that some of it may go toward re-imagining The Seas Pavilion.

The interior layout of the Marine Life Institute aquarium is not random. It is very similar to The Seas. The Disney Imagineers can just go to town with this theme.
Definitely worthy of discussion, just not in the News and Rumors section of the forums as this is all just gossip.

I would love for you to create a new thread here on News and Rumors, I bet it would be so much fun!
I definitely will, ....If I have any actual news or rumors to report on.

KikoKea

We all agree that Epcot needs lots of love, and there's no end to speculating about what could be done or what should be done. With the rumored infusion of $$ coming Epcot way, let's hope the Seas will be getting a chunk of it in the future. Problem with Seas, for me, at least, is that it comes across now as a large aquarium, not even on par with other great aquariums around the nation, and not a place of learning or imagination. Lots of potential. I have nothing against an IP being used to enhance an attraction, but for me, Nemo doesn't add much, at all.

Siren

Original Poster
We all agree that Epcot needs lots of love, and there's no end to speculating about what could be done or what should be done. With the rumored infusion of $$ coming Epcot way, let's hope the Seas will be getting a chunk of it in the future. Problem with Seas, for me, at least, is that it comes across now as a large aquarium, not even on par with other great aquariums around the nation, and not a place of learning or imagination. Lots of potential. I have nothing against an IP being used to enhance an attraction, but for me, Nemo doesn't add much, at all.
Hi @KikoKea! Thank you so much for your amazing post! You are very brave to chime in at this point but I appreciate it so much. Really, it's perfect timing and I just want to get back on topic!

Anyway, very well said. I like the Nemo pavilion, but I was blown away when I saw what was there previously. It seems like such a huge downgrade to me. But, @JohnWD actually worked for United Technologies and had VIP access and everything and he says Sea AlphaBase and The Living Seas was "BORING" and likes the Nemo pavilion better. So, I guess it all boils down to preference. LOL.

Now, I understand that this was Eisner's doing. When, United Technologies decided to pull out and no longer sponsor the The Living Seas -- Eisner panicked took the cheap and easy way out, it seems.

And really, this served to be a catalyst for what we are seeing in the theme parks today. It's not necessarily bad though, it's just a different way of getting new projects funded and green-lighted.

I totally agree with you. I think the marine life and ocean habitat should be the primary focus of the pavilion. I don't mind Nemo's presence but it should be more of a subtle afterthought, instead of the other way around.

The tank is way too old, now. And, a CM confirmed that the walls continually leak water, which is not good, it has to be costing Disney a fortune just to maintain. With all the new green technology out there and a HOT IP, this is a great time for Disney to upgrade this pavilion.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I totally disagree. A lot of people just want to share Disney news and other stuff but are afraid to, due to fear of being chastised. That is not what this forum is about
This particular forum is dedicated for NEWS and RUMORS. You are not sharing news nor is this a rumor. You are simply stating your opinion of a movie and attraction. Please explain how this has any credibility and why it should not be in General Discussion.
People are not afraid of being chastised. Please stop your completely desperate attempts of association with others to garner support.

I noticed that the ones that complain the most about what thread goes where *never* start threads
I have started several...and they are in the approriate froum. I am not depserate to be seen as an insider or a person with knowledge of Disneys next move which means I dont start my TR threads in News and Rumors so it is seen by more people.

This thread is no different than the "Big things are happening at Epcot soon" thread and the "What Jim Hill said" thread.
This thread is completely different. Its 100% your opinion. Again, you reek of desperation to be seen as anything more than a social media damage control grunt for TWDC. Both of those other threads are in regards to ACTUAL news. Judging by their page count, people seem to place more value on them than they do your personal opinion of the aquariaum in Finding Dory. The fact that you intentionaly mislabelled them as "Big things at Epcot" and "what Jim Hill said" exemplifies your biterness and jealousy.

I can create at least 10 thread right now about Disney news and stuff
No you can not. Your opinion is not NEWS. The false consensus effect is strong in you.

BrianV

Agreed. To me the old exhibit was so very dry. (Ha!) Turtle talk and nemo ride are improvements. Without them there was nothing at the living seas I couldn't find at my local aquarium in Boston, so we'd usually skip. (As members of the New England Aquarium we end up going 4 or 5 times a year!)

Still was an amazing aquarium much like the NEAQ, but now it is an amazing disney aquarium that we rarely skip at epcot.

I DO get the dumbing down of Epcot. But in this case, the tie in to Nemo only minimally dumbs it down while making it much more fun.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I guess my perspective is completely different... I found the original pavilion with an overview into the creation of the seas, then transporting guest to Seabase Alpha was absolutely amazing... I was intrigued and loved exploring the exhibits... Of course I am not accompanied by toddlers or easily bored children. The new Nemo version I skip most of the time because it is just so dumbed down... I guess if I was 3-7 I would like it... maybe...

KikoKea

Hi @KikoKea! I think the marine life and ocean habitat should be the primary focus of the pavilion. I don't mind Nemo's presence but it should be more of a subtle afterthought, instead of the other way around.
Agreed. It could be a world-class learning center with Nemo and friends as guides to teach about the oceans, ecology, etc.

I guess my perspective is completely different... I found the original pavilion with an overview into the creation of the seas, then transporting guest to Seabase Alpha was absolutely amazing... I was intrigued and loved exploring the exhibits... Of course I am not accompanied by toddlers or easily bored children. The new Nemo version I skip most of the time because it is just so dumbed down... I guess if I was 3-7 I would like it... maybe...
I'm hoping that after the rumored changes to UoE and that area of the park, the attention will turn to Seas and Imagination, in particular. Both are a shadow of their former selves, but could be truly amazing and fun attractions again. We ride Nemo mainly because it is a chance to sit down for a few minutes and the track through the aquarium is pretty cool.

Biff215

Regardless of how any of us feel about Nemo and The Seas, there's no reason to believe this pavilion is anywhere on Disney's radar for any significant changes. Nor should it in my opinion, as there are greater needs in FW.

It wouldn't matter if Finding Dory beat the Avatar record, none of that money is coming back into the parks. I don't think the typical guest even knows the difference anyway, and I wouldn't be surprised if the pavilion isn't already seeing more traffic thanks to the movie.

On to Imagination and Energy...

KikoKea

Regardless of how any of us feel about Nemo and The Seas, there's no reason to believe this pavilion is anywhere on Disney's radar for any significant changes. Nor should it in my opinion, as there are greater needs in FW.

It wouldn't matter if Finding Dory beat the Avatar record, none of that money is coming back into the parks. I don't think the typical guest even knows the difference anyway, and I wouldn't be surprised if the pavilion isn't already seeing more traffic thanks to the movie.

On to Imagination and Energy...
True. UoE and WoL area are in much sadder shape. Perhaps later Seas will get some attention.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom