The Seas with Nemo & Friends getting a makeover?

Siren

Original Poster
Finding Dory has been number 1 for three weeks in a row and has amassed $540 million at the box office so far! The film is a *massive* success.

It's quite obvious that the "Marine Life Institute" featured in Finding Dory was partially inspired by The Seas with Nemo at Epcot. I believe Disney gave us a sneak peak of what is to come.

4395336990_6545df093a.jpg

seas-with-nemo-and-friends-gallery02.jpg

This is so dated like an old house divided by tiny compartmentalized rooms.

348irzk.jpg

I think Disney plans to expand this space into a modern open concept just like the Marine Life Institute!

Also, I saw Finding Dory in 3D IMAX and it was so beautiful, I felt like I was right in the ocean or something.

66gp43.jpg

Gerald was *so* hilarious and had me literally in tears. Like, I was laughing in the car on the way home thinking about Gerald. He is one of my favorite character's and totally made the movie for me.

29fcb9x.jpg

Becky was also very funny. I love this character, too. She's already a favorite and people are calling her "Becky with the good hair." LOL.

So hopefully, Disney will make a home for all the new Finding Dory characters, too.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Any improvement from what they did to a classic pavilion is welcome.
If they can fix the ride and make it actually fit into the story of the attraction, that'd do wonders. Since they totally ditched the Seabase concept, at least the sea life institute would make sense.

At this point though, they'll likely just put a few static characters from Dory on a stick and shake it around during the ride and call it a day.

Or wait, does Universal have the rights to Namor the Sub-Mariner?!?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Any improvement from what they did to a classic pavilion is welcome.
If they can fix the ride and make it actually fit into the story of the attraction, that'd do wonders. Since they totally ditched the Seabase concept, at least the sea life institute would make sense.

At this point though, they'll likely just put a few static characters from Dory on a stick and shake it around during the ride and call it a day.

Or wait, does Universal have the rights to Namor the Sub-Mariner?!?
Plushes everywhere.....

But it's nice to see TWDC keeping their trial ballooning in-house.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That'd be a pretty awesome idea for Disney to consider... It'll probably never happen, but it would be awesome. In Disney's mind, they could always just slap a sign out front that relates the aquarium to Finding Dory, but not change ANYthing inside and just say it's the "florida branch." Ya see? Gotta think the minds of Disney...

Magenta Panther

The Seas with Nemo was such a letdown for me. The hype on TV made it seem like a thrilling, fun underwater experience - the characters from Nemo interacting with real fish!!! etc. But all it was was a bunch of unconvincing screens. Plus AA seagulls outside the attraction that hardly ever work. So there it is again - Disney gets a huge animated hit, but cheaps out on an attraction based on it. Pitiful (although at least the Frozen ride was better than expected).

Siren

Original Poster
Sigh, all of you are *so* negative about this but thanks for bringing me back to reality, I guess. It's just that Disney has to invest *billions* into Epcot's Future World anyway -- so I believe there is some hope. Epcot's Marine Life Institute (with Nemo & Dory) sounds so good and would look amazing.

Disney is *way* behind, so it's going to take some time for them to get caught up on everything. Epcot's Future World is next after DHS.

2hpkk8x.png

And, I hadn't even thought of the Nemo ride yet. Yeah, Disney should totally demolish it and build a real state of the art Finding Nemo & Dory dark ride -- that utilizes screens for the deep ocean scenes and feature some animatronics and interactive sets for the Marine Life Institute, like on a Haunted Mansion and Pirates type level.

The Nemo show could use a serious update and a brand new theater, too. Finding Dory is such a huge success, so this investment is wise and very much needed. Really, Disney should get started on this now.

ToTBellHop

Sigh, all of you are *so* negative about this but thanks for bringing me back to reality, I guess. It's just that Disney has to invest *billions* into Epcot's Future World anyway -- so I believe there is some hope. Epcot's Marine Life Institute (with Nemo & Dory) sounds so good and would look amazing.

Disney is *way* behind, so it's going to take some time for them to get caught up on everything. Epcot's Future World is next after DHS.

2hpkk8x.png

And, I hadn't even thought of the Nemo ride yet. Yeah, Disney should totally demolish it and build a real state of the art Finding Nemo & Dory dark ride -- that utilizes screens for the deep ocean scenes and feature some animatronics and interactive sets for the Marine Life Institute, like on a Haunted Mansion and Pirates type level.

The Nemo show could use a serious update and a brand new theater, too. Finding Dory is such a huge success, so this investment is wise and very much needed. Really, Disney should get started on this now.
This doesn't belong in News and Rumors because it's not happening.

You are talking about an imaginary theme park with numerous aquaria. We are talking about one pavilion (out of 22 in the park).

The most you may get is a new sign and paint color. Come back to Earth with the rest of us.

glvsav37

Leave turtle talk there, its fine and give the pavilion an IP and something in that park for little kids.

The Nemo ride...GT$O ASAP. such a waste of electricity. I would kill for it to go back to some semblance of the old attraction. But maybe make it fit in the idea of Future world where as you progress though the ride, you see the history of techniques and equipment of sea floor exploration, starting with the old dive bell and working up to modern > future forms of sea base exploration. Open it up to the old tube view with the windows above and lets get a Space Ship Earth of the Deep Sea in there.

raven

It's quite obvious that the "Marine Life Institute" featured in Finding Dory was partially inspired by The Seas with Nemo at Epcot. I believe Disney gave us a sneak peak of what is to come.

I think Disney plans to expand this space into a modern open concept just like the Marine Life Institute!

So hopefully, Disney will make a home for all the new Finding Dory characters, too.

Well, the movie "Tomorrowland" had little to no influence on any of the Tomorrowlands in Disney parks. Also, Dory has found a home in The Seas pavilion and has been there for months and months already. So just because a movie has a similar scene in it doesn't really mean it's their plan to change a current area to look exactly like it. Even if they did it would be years down the road.

The water in the tank in The Seas is basically holding that building in place. Some of those windows have been leaking saltwater for years. If they were to drain the water in that tank I fear the building would fall in on itself.

Siren

Original Poster
What are you basing this on?

348irzk.jpg

Hi @Bairstow! I am basing it on this. ^^^ It's The Marine Life Institute featured in the Finding Dory movie. Doesn't it look just like a modern version of The Seas? Disney may have been giving fans an early preview of what is to come!
seas-with-nemo-and-friends-gallery02.jpg

The Seas has kind of a retro feel to it and sort of reminds me of the old style Contemporary Hotel when it had all those wild and zany colors.

But, it's time for a modern upgrade just the like The Marine Life Institute. The layout is so strikingly similar.

Well, the movie "Tomorrowland" had little to no influence on any of the Tomorrowlands in Disney parks.
Hi @raven! Do you remember these special trash cans and signage that Disney put in the parks for the movie before it bombed at the box office.

tumblr_no6w0f8g5a1qzi27yo1_500.jpg

I believe this could have been the start of a major transformation for Tomorrowland. But, unfortunately it was cancelled because the movie failed.

Also, Dory has found a home in The Seas pavilion and has been there for months and months already. So just because a movie has a similar scene in it doesn't really mean it's their plan to change a current area to look exactly like it. Even if they did it would be years down the road.
Excellent point. It's just that the striking similarities between the Marine Life Institute in Finding Dory and The Seas pavilion strongly encourages and lends itself to a project of this magnitude. It's all really detailed and well thought out and we know Disney needs to upgrade this pavilion.

The water in the tank in The Seas is basically holding that building in place. Some of those windows have been leaking saltwater for years. If they were to drain the water in that tank I fear the building would fall in on itself.
Oh wow! That's not good. Disney doesn't want this to happen *again*.

There are couple of huge threads discussing all the billions that Epcot Future World is supposed to receive for an overhaul. And, The Seas aquarium situation seems pretty urgent.

ETA: I forgot to mention that so far Finding Dory has already grossed over $555 Million (worldwide) at the box office in only a few weeks. So, it's a really wise investment for Disney, as well.

Last edited:

WDWVolFan

Leave turtle talk there, its fine and give the pavilion an IP and something in that park for little kids.

The Nemo ride...GT$O ASAP. such a waste of electricity. I would kill for it to go back to some semblance of the old attraction. But maybe make it fit in the idea of Future world where as you progress though the ride, you see the history of techniques and equipment of sea floor exploration, starting with the old dive bell and working up to modern > future forms of sea base exploration. Open it up to the old tube view with the windows above and lets get a Space Ship Earth of the Deep Sea in there.
What was the old attraction before Nemo?

FerretAfros

That makes about as much sense as the long-standing rumors at Disneyland that the Matterhorn will sink if they ever drain the submarine lagoon. Yet the lagoon continues to get drained and the Matterhorn continues to not sink
Submarine_lagoon_and_monorail.jpg

If anything were to happen structurally (and there's no indication that there's anything wrong other than some minor leaks, which can be expected after 30 years), it would be while the tank is full and the water is exerting immense lateral pressure, similar to the video from T-Rex. If that pressure is removed, there's no reason that the structure would suddenly fail. The structure is designed to resist the lateral pressure, not rely on it to stand up

Edit: A much bigger concern would be how/where to relocate all the animals living in the aquarium, which would be a rather time consuming process should they ever decide to drain the main tank

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom