The Saber Forge: Savi’s Hand Built Lightsabers

Disstevefan1

Limited number of people is probably to make things more manageable, the space isn't massive from the views so no point having masses of people in there trying to make their Lightsabers all at the same time.

What I meant is 14 at a time is TOO MANY people when you are building a $160 Lightsabers. For $160 I would rather have a more intimate, more special experience..

TJJohn12

Have yet to see - Though I might have missed it - if the legacy hilts have any parts that are interchangeable with the buildable system...they are all presumably using that same chassis we’ve seen beside the tray of sith parts. Can you slap Luke’s pommel onto your own saber? Can Mace’s emitter end up on the end of a custom hilt? If the entire thing is an ecosystem as the Disney rep explains in the video, I would hope so.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Have yet to see - Though I might have missed it - if the legacy hilts have any parts that are interchangeable with the buildable system...they are all presumably using that same chassis we’ve seen beside the tray of sith parts. Can you slap Luke’s pommel onto your own saber? Can Mace’s emitter end up on the end of a custom hilt? If the entire thing is an ecosystem as the Disney rep explains in the video, I would hope so.

I’m not sure that the parts of the legacy sabers are interchangeable if I was betting on it...I would say you CAN’T interchange the parts with legacy sabers.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
They are posting about Savi’s again on Twitter...just a repost still the same wording about “arranging an appointment”

Surferboy567

Original Poster
More than I thought:

Pricing
  • $199.99 per lightsaber, plus tax
  • Carry case included
  • Additional customization items can be purchased at Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities
  • Age Recommendation: 5+
  • The experience area is limited to the builder and one Guest—at least one person in the party must be age 14 or older
  • Custom lightsabers are nonrefundable and are not eligible for Annual Passholder or other discounts
  • The Savi’s Workshop – Handbuilt Lightsabers experience is subject to availability and reservations may be required
  • If reservations are required, late arrivals may not be accommodated

From the DL thread...possible pricing and details on sabers.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Translation: With reservations required and only subject to availability, most people will never be able to build lightsabers.

Let's figure an hour per session. So 14 people every hour. The parks are usually open for 13 hours (assuming that experience is open all 13 hours).
That is only 182 people building a light saber per day.

And a 15 minute experience (which I highly doubt) makes it 728. That is 2.5% of all daily visitors.

That's it folks. Maybe 2.5% of us will get a chance to build a light saber every day at best.

But Disney is charging $200 per light saber.
So they don't care because they stand to make $200 x 182 = $36,400 per day (not including the accessories to customize the sabers)

First off, I think it’s going to be a 15 minute experience...so the whole hour long argument is gone. Secondly, we don’t know how many rooms they actually have. Lastly, and most important the lightsabers are dye cast MEDAL and not plastic. Super excited to try and build them (reservation system worries me). I think the value is their that’s a decent price point in my opinion...but of course we have to see this experience first.

Hoping price turns people away allowing die hard builders to get in.

durangojim

First off, I think it’s going to be a 15 minute experience...so the whole hour long argument is gone. Secondly, we don’t know how many rooms they actually have. Lastly, and most important the lightsabers are dye cast MEDAL and not plastic. Super excited to try and build them (reservation system worries me). I think the value is their that’s a decent price point in my opinion...but of course we have to see this experience first.

Hoping price turns people away allowing die hard builders to get in.
Not trying to be that guy but since you capitalized it, it’s metal not medal. Unless they melted down the medals Han and Luke received after the battle of Yavin.

Movielover

Like I said, I can go to an online vendor, choose a far wider variety of parts for the light saber and colors and make an amazing one with sound and vibration for nearly the same cost.

It's actually priced relatively similar to those online stores such as SaberForge and Ultra Saber. They do sell cheaper versions but those are usually stunt sabers that have no sound and are more for static display. The ones that are closer to what Disney is offering are pretty close in price range, and Disney is even including additional elements such as the carrying case included in the price, this combined with whatever show elements make up the whole experience it actually is a reasonable price point.

Movielover

The other vendors also offer far more numerous choices of hilt, parts, blades, effects and hilt colors. Disney only offers six specific styles from which you can choose parts. Building your own unique light saber in Disney is far less likely.

Disney will also have all the sabers based on the ones seen in the film in addition to the 6 styles of custom built. Those vendors have been in business for several years now. Give them time and Disney can/will add more.

The one thing those other vendors have that Disney doesn't is an actual chance to get a light saber. With the reservation system and the percentages that I illustrated. The chance for guests to actually be able to take advantage of the experience is well under 10% every day.

If you are so worried about not getting a chance to experience the saber building then make that your top priority when visiting. Many guest who go through Galaxy's Edge will have no interest in buying a sabre, let alone going through the experience that leads to it. I guarantee you that not every single person who goes to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter buys a wand or goes through Olivanders. Point is we have no idea what type of experience this is, how long it will be, and how many rooms/ CM's they have to get people through. You can certainly worry about it if you want, and it sounds like you're mind is already made up about not liking the experience. So as a person who is interested in this aspect of the land I will enjoy not having to wait behind you.

plutofan15

Pointing out issues that are bound to arise based on decades of past experience with Disney is anticipating.

I know, how dare I criticize Disney because they do everything perfectly right?

Just like every other company, Disney does make mistakes. Still waiting on your solutions to the issues your crystal ball has told will arise.

Movielover

Yet they have limited space to where they can build additional rooms.
And having too many people flocking into a "secret" jedi saber store kills the illusion of the "Immersive" secret store.

Feel better now?

Never better, especially because you still haven't given any constructive thoughts or ideas on how the situation could be improved, just more complaints. Although at least these have a bit more merit than your earlier baseless ones! :happy:

doctornick

For $200, this isn't going to draw that many people (in the grand scheme of total park goers). I mean, it will be unbelievable swamped at first, of course, as the die hards come in and there is strong demand and so all the reservation times come up. But long terms, with "ordinary" theme park guests, that price tag is going to greatly limit the interest. A lot of people will be fine with cheaper/pre-made sabers.

drod1985

The price of the legacy sabers was a pleasant surprise. I'll likely opt for 1-2 of those as opposed to a single Savi saber.

_bluebird

Just going to drop an interesting tib-bit that I overheard from one of the CMs at the preview last night. So, at Dok-Ondar's they sell the different kyber crystals, right? Well, apparently, if you buy a red one there's a very small chance that you'll get a black kyber crystal instead. It's a sort of secret color.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom