The Rights to Roger Rabbit

Captain Chaos

Original Poster
I read a lot of threads where people said the reason we don't see more Roger Rabbit in the parks is because of the legal issues between Disney and the owner of Roger Rabbit. Well, my question is, if there was such a big problem with Disney and the owner of Roger Rabbit, then why is Toontown still open and also, why was Roger Rabbit added as an icon in Pop Century, 80's section I believe??? I would think if Disney were having legal issues and couldn't use Roger Rabbit, then he wouldn't show up as an icon in Pop Century. Yet, there he is... Is this a sign that maybe the legal issues are over????

WDWKat26

dxer07002 said:
I read a lot of threads where people said the reason we don't see more Roger Rabbit in the parks is because of the legal issues between Disney and the owner of Roger Rabbit. Well, my question is, if there was such a big problem with Disney and the owner of Roger Rabbit, then why is Toontown still open and also, why was Roger Rabbit added as an icon in Pop Century, 80's section I believe??? I would think if Disney were having legal issues and couldn't use Roger Rabbit, then he wouldn't show up as an icon in Pop Century. Yet, there he is... Is this a sign that maybe the legal issues are over????

What do you mean why is Toontown still open? Toontown is open because it used to be Mickey's Area before it was renamed Toontown...unless someone corrects me I believe it has nothing to do with Roger Rabbit. Also, there are plenty of threads on here about it, try the search button :)

UKMickeyFan

I have to agree with the original poster, I don't understand why they can use Roger Rabbit in various places but not in others. Roger rabbit also appeared in the parade in Disneyland up until they recently changed it and still I believe appears in the the DLRP parade.

Joevn

Yeah, it's a little odd. There are costumes for Roger Rabbit and Jessica in the new Halloween edition of the Disney Catalog (with Cinderella and the mice on the cover, page 22). I guess Disney hasn't lost the rights?

Joe

PigletIsMyCat

Toontown was most recently Mickey's Starland; the area known as Toontown was originally added as Mickey's Birthdayland to celebrate his birthday. Roger Rabbit is featured in his own rides at other Disney parks, most notably in Disneyland. Roger Rabbit was originally released by Touchstone Pictures, but if I remember correctly, Disney gained all rights to the movie and its characters. No legal troubles, they probably just don't want Roger in Toontown, WDW.

gboiler1

WDWKat26 said:
What do you mean why is Toontown still open? Toontown is open because it used to be Mickey's Area before it was renamed Toontown...unless someone corrects me I believe it has nothing to do with Roger Rabbit. Also, there are plenty of threads on here about it, try the search button :)

I think dxer07002 may have been referring to DL, not WDW. In DL that section is charming, if not small, but wouldn't a Toontown/Maroon Cartoons section of DS be great fun!

Captain Chaos

Original Poster
I was referring to DL... I know Roger Rabbit has nothing to do with Toontown in WDW.... The point I was trying to make was people on these boards have said that there was a fallout and legal issues regarding Roger Rabbit and DIsney cannot use him anywhere in the parks until some agreement is made.. Yet, he is in Pop Century, in DL, ona parade float (until recently I believe) and on pins, and as well as costumes for Halloween...

Halfling418

Disney owns Touchtone. So Touchtone is Disney, really. Disney owns this along with Miramax, Caravan, and many others. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas was released under Touchtone, but that's Disney.

Who Censored Roger Rabbit? was a book, and Disney teamed up with Steven Spielburg's Amblin Entertainment to make the film, and tweaked the story somewhat. (Roger dies in the book, and he was a comic book star, etc.)

Captain Hank

dizknee said:
Isn't there a Roger rabbit cartoon spin attraction in DL?
Yup. Also, this summer at the Disney Store, we had hats featuring Jessica Rabbit, so the rights must still be there to some extent.

Connor002

brich said:
I don't care much about the rights to Roger Rabbit...but I hosey the rights to Jessica!!!! :sohappy:

for some reason i don't forsee jessica making appearances in WDW
too bad, i ahhh... admire her... chracter... :lookaroun yes thats it... i admire her character...

TheDisneyMagic

Connor002 said:
for some reason i don't forsee jessica making appearances in WDW
too bad, i ahhh... admire her... chracter... :lookaroun yes thats it... i admire her character...
Didn't she used to be at The Disney - MGM studios around the back lot area?

Connor002

jddjcfc said:
Didn't she used to be at The Disney - MGM studios around the back lot area?

Was she really? Was she a face character? I can't imagine parent's reaction to that. She dosen't exactly personify Disney values...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
dizknee said:
Isn't there a Roger rabbit cartoon spin attraction in DL?

Yes, and we were on it last October. To tell you how memorable the attraction was, the only thing I remember is how winding the danged que was. I dont remember anything about the ride itself. Sad really, considering its taking up such valuable space at DL.....hope it never comes to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom