The Red Button Option

Ldno

Politicians do not understand tech, Disney execs using Twitter for DM’s is peanuts when comparing this to politicians, no surprise on why they would use it and spread internal information, but I highly doubt they would target disney just for dirt...

lazyboy97o

Politicians do not understand tech, Disney execs using Twitter for DM’s is peanuts when comparing this to politicians, no surprise on why they would use it and spread internal information, but I highly doubt they would target disney just for dirt...
It’s not necessarily that Disney was targeted, but if information was bulk copied then it could get dumped somewhere.

Magenta Panther

I tend to think it is "different" because (1) the Shanghai partners wanted unique stuff, especially they wanted different stuff than Hong Kong and (2) China doesn't have the same history with Disney stuff so they tended to focus on newer/more well known in China properties when they did use IPs.

The important question I have is if Disney ended up selling Shangai, can we still get a copy of their POTC somewhere in the states? (I'd love to see it in DHS and then remove Jack from the MK ride.)

I'd love to see Shanghai's updated Peter Pan ride in WDW too!

ifan

Disney is at least partially lucky in that their exposure to China is relatively small compared to other companies like Apple or Micron. It could be worse.

On the other hand, selling Shanghai doesn't seem like it would be possible in a situation with increased tension between China and the rest of the world. For example, when America upset CCP in October 2018, an anti-American boycott went into effect that destroyed iPhone sales overnight. Even if Shanghai completely controlled the park, it would likely be deemed "American" and not attract visitors. Perhaps my analysis is wrong, here, but the past few years tells me otherwise.

Regardless of future US leadership, it is clear that this will continue to be an issue for any non-Chinese company operating within China for years to come. (See current arguments between India, Australia, etc with China). Tiktok, Huawei, the list goes on...Some of this would be an issue even if there was no covid or financial issues transpiring.

Thelazer

Slight fun fact: I-Drive has been one of the worst places for COVID spread in the tourist district of Orlando. Whatever they call the Orlando Eye complex now’s many establishments especially. Despite mask “requirements” enforcement and compliance has been abysmally low in that area. I’ve heard of some employees and visitors contracting the virus and being able to trace it there.

I've been to that area.. recently.
I saw masks and "some" people.

I'd hardly say it was the WORST place... more like a ghost town...

Magic Feather

I've been to that area.. recently.
I saw masks and "some" people.

I'd hardly say it was the WORST place... more like a ghost town...
Did you visit at night or during the day? Admittedly all of the photos I have have my friend’s family in them so I couldn’t post them, but it looked crowded and rather “hopping” to me, as far as nightlife goes.

davis_unoxx

Disney is at least partially lucky in that their exposure to China is relatively small compared to other companies like Apple or Micron. It could be worse.

On the other hand, selling Shanghai doesn't seem like it would be possible in a situation with increased tension between China and the rest of the world. For example, when America upset CCP in October 2018, an anti-American boycott went into effect that destroyed iPhone sales overnight. Even if Shanghai completely controlled the park, it would likely be deemed "American" and not attract visitors. Perhaps my analysis is wrong, here, but the past few years tells me otherwise.

Regardless of future US leadership, it is clear that this will continue to be an issue for any non-Chinese company operating within China for years to come. (See current arguments between India, Australia, etc with China). Tiktok, Huawei, the list goes on...Some of this would be an issue even if there was no covid or financial issues transpiring.
Think apps like tiktok could be banned in US soon?

DDLand

This is interesting... Right now Disney is relying on successfully relaunching the NBA and WDW to save the company. If Disney can get the NBA functional, ESPN could roar back to life. WDW’s reopening is the path to strong cashflow. But both seem tenuous at best...

Some stories coming out of the “bubble:”

That’s synergy! If Disney and the NBA aren’t careful, the hopes for a NBA season could be nerfed. ESPN is betting its future on a quarantine that may or may not work. Now Walt Disney World also seems vulnerable to partial or even complete shutdown. The company’s most important paths to recovery are fragile. I can see why there is panic.

The “Red Button” would be humiliating for Iger. The man spent nearly two decades trying to bring a big Disney presence to China. He spent years kowtowing to Chinese authorities and making the case for a Disneyland. Finally, he was able to open one of his biggest legacy items. Shanghai Disney Resort was more than a theme park. It was a massive flag planted firmly on Chinese soil. Iger was able to bring one of the most “American” experiences to China. He was the “Authentically Disney and Distinctly Chinese” guy. Thanks to his ability to work with international partners, Iger was able to build a monument to his vision.

The “Red Button” plan throws that whole narrative into the toilet. Did Iger get Disney into a geopolitical nightmare? Why is Disney divesting itself from a market that it supposedly knows how to navigate? Why is Chinese Disney in trouble if Iger is such a good deal maker?

It’s just a bad look. Though that doesn’t mean it’s a bad deal. There is an increasing possibility that a vaccine never makes its way to the market. This virus is gnarly. Disney Parks will need to remain closed or near closed until the virus has either been eliminated or the public becomes accustomed to the risks of living with it. These closures/restrictions could remain for the next several years. Disney is best not fighting against them.

With the Shanghai/HKDL money Disney could go into hibernation mode and lay-off most of its workforce. Then it could just wait this thing out for a few years. The “Red Button” kills two birds with one stone. It raises capital while getting Disney out of a tricky situation. It’s hard to be the CEO of a company and admit that your nearly 20 billion a year business simply cannot be reopened. That unenviable task may soon fall to Chapek. Disney Parks should stay shutdown for years to come. This is the best thing for the company both in terms of PR and profitability. These partial reopenings are simply untenable. They are expensive in both destroying goodwill and burning cash. Obviously a vaccine would be game changing, but that could also be months, years, or never.

So Iger may have to stomach his pride.

Honestly, I’m less worried about potential leaks. This feels like Disney’s IT and Legal departments being extra-cautious and warning employees to secure their messages. Just being careful.

There seems to be some people that think that dropping Epcot would be enough to fill the little bit of leftover supply that MK and AK have (they both alternate with getting filled up). However, they put so much effort into adjusting for and dealing with the quirks of getting Epcot ready for operations, that I have a hard time seeing them throw it all away.
This seems like the definition of sunk cost. It feels like Disney is on the wrong side of history with this one.

Thelazer

Did you visit at night or during the day? Admittedly all of the photos I have have my friend’s family in them so I couldn’t post them, but it looked crowded and rather “hopping” to me, as far as nightlife goes.

Evening to night. Some folks at Tin Roof (and staff was masked up.)
Sugar factory seemed to be doing better at least.... maybe not all tables booked, but at least they had some biz.
Overall, it was.... slow.

disneygeek90

Slight fun fact: I-Drive has been one of the worst places for COVID spread in the tourist district of Orlando. Whatever they call the Orlando Eye complex now’s many establishments especially. Despite mask “requirements” enforcement and compliance has been abysmally low in that area. I’ve heard of some employees and visitors contracting the virus and being able to trace it there.
I have only been to the Yard House in that area and walked around near the Eye complex. Yard House felt good, the rest of the area not so much.

Lilofan

Massive layoffs across the board? Not just the theme parks?
That would be devastating to impacted individuals in the company ( not just parks ) but then again many companies are laying off nationwide and the companies getting bailout money ( ie United/American etc ) that cannot lay off until Oct 1 per the bailout agreement.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Some conspiracy theorists raised questions that have been answered. Nothing to see here.
3p1g0u.jpg

🤗

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom