The Red Button Option

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Can you comment on the working dynamic between the two Bobs? Is one preparing to exit? Is it possible Staggs will return?

Iger was in charge period until recently. Now there's friction as Chapek builds a frugal coalition.

Random question, but if Disney did indeed sell/divest in HKDL and SDL, how much would this make up for this pandemic and it's effects? Would it be enough to "get things back on track"?

It would depend on the buyer(s). Four billion plus minimum though...

IiRC, at the shortlyvbefore opening, $800MM was transferred to SDL for building last minute additions which really did not materialize.

If you have non public info on that, please message me. No illegally obtained information either, though.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Right or wrong, Iger's legacy is probably safe because covid-19 is such a unique event that history will likely be kind to those businesses that weren't built like a house of cards. Iger had Disney in a strong position, strong enough to withstand some blows for short term, but short of Apple sitting on cash or being a business that's largely recession proof, no business was "ready" for anything long term.

That said, we touched in another thread how dumb a position it was for Iger to take the "pump money into it" approach if he's truly trying to make Chapek a scapegoat. That + Chapek's willingness to go against Iger to "steady the ship" is praiseworthy. Of course that assumes truth to each Bob's positioning. But if it's true, chalk it up to weird 2020, the year when everything people hated about Chapek (bean counting, numbers, etc) are the same traits arguably needed to steady the ship.

Nubs70

Iger was in charge period until recently. Now there's friction as Chapek builds a frugal coalition.

It would depend on the buyer(s). Four billion plus minimum though...

If you have non public info on that, please message me. No illegally obtained information either, though.
Found reference in a Spirited 10 thread. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-perfect-ten.894588/post-6558796

$800MM for additional attractions that were never built or "to get things back on track" combined with CCP officials on the "payroll" sounds a little fishy.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Wait ... What? Why not just ask them to post it here? As someone who seems to like publishing private information for your own personal gain, why would you ask someone to only share information privately?

If someone tells you they have information, rather than just posting the information, that tends to mean they might not wish to post the information.

Mrtko

I appreciate your frustration, but please don't be baited into political speak. This thread is too important to risk getting it moved.
In my opinion, the key point in all of this is the cash position of Disney. If Disney reports under $10B in cash at the end of June and the burn is such that $6B is left by the end of September, there is no discussion left except where is the exit. All financial reports boil down to this... the end of cash means the end of Disney as we know it. Assets are sold, new owners are courted, begging for survival begins and the work atmosphere becomes unbearable. Forget politics, Disney has little time left for internal disputes. A hero is needed.

DVCakaCarlF

In my opinion, the key point in all of this is the cash position of Disney. If Disney reports under $10B in cash at the end of June and the burn is such that $6B is left by the end of September, there is no discussion left except where is the exit. All financial reports boil down to this... the end of cash means the end of Disney as we know it. Assets are sold, new owners are courted, begging for survival begins and the work atmosphere becomes unbearable. Forget politics, Disney has little time left for internal disputes. A hero is needed.
You would think 6B is enough cash, but I guess not.

el_super

If someone tells you they have information, rather than just posting the information, that tends to mean they might not wish to post the information.

So they wouldn't be willing to post it for a handful of strangers, but willing to hand it over to one stranger? Seems a little off.

Edit to add: What was Disney being accused of again? I didn't see an answer.

WDW Pro

Original Poster

Massive layoffs are coming that will slow the burn rate. Selling off the Chinese resorts is exceedingly unlikely until 2021. But again, uncertainty is very high... all this is moot if we get a highly successful therapeutic or vaccine in the near term. If this thing lasts years, we'll see massive shifts in the global b economy.

Mrtko

You would think 6B is enough cash, but I guess not.
It is enough for you or I :). But Disney is larger and it is the burn rate that makes it enough or not enough. If Q3 shows a burn of $1B per month and that burn rate isn't slowed by the end of September, $6B equals 6 months. Given the time it takes to create and execute plans, that is not a safe place to be. If the burn rate is slowed and slowed quickly and by a lot, then they can ride it out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom