The reason why SBC castle is small is because Walt didn't have money?

celticssuck

Original Poster
Some people say that the SBC castle is small because Walt did not have money to build a big castle so he made the castle and Main Street small. Is that true or no?

kap91

While money may have factored into the decision I'm sure (mainly due to the small amount of land that was able to be purchased leading to smaller scale buildings etc.), Walt is also said to have wanted the castle to be on the smaller side so that it wouldn't intimidate guests. He wanted the park to be a happy, open and inviting place.

TP2000

Some people say that the SBC castle is small because Walt did not have money to build a big castle so he made the castle and Main Street small. Is that true or no?

That's not true. And it sounds like someone trying to extrapolate the thoughts of 1954-55 from a stuck-in-the-21st-century mindset. :lol:

The Castle and Main Street at Disneyland are the size they are because that's the way Walt wanted them, and the way he had them designed and built. The same can also be said for all of the rest of 1950's Disneyland still there, like the Disneyland Railroad and its stations, Frontierland, Adventureland, the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Tom Sawyer Island, StorybookLand, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Alice In Wonderland, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Submarine Voyage, Autopia, etc.

JamieD

Sort of on the same note...I know that DL is considerably smaller than MK at WDW...It's pretty easy to tell. But I was just trying to recall from my last visit to DL...is Main Street shorter at DL than at MK at WDW?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

According to Herb Ryman, the Artist who did the first castle illustrations and worked on the design, he explained that "Walt did want a bigger Castle but could not afford it". Just passing that on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom