The reason for the tree islands?

350ceo

Original Poster
Does anyone know if there is a point to the tree islands in the world showcase lagoon? I saw this picture in the WDW Picture of the Day thread and it got me thinking. They do block some views of the illuminations

2059298805311dbpuLT_ph.jpg

raven

These were there long before Illuminations was even thought of. Just gives some realism to the lagoon I think.

Rob562

When the lagoon was first designed, they were there just to give some variance so it's not a big, open, boring expanse of water. The islands make it seem semi-natural. Kind of like the islands in Seven Seas Lagoon. Because the Lagoon is man-made, the islands are, too. Just makes the body of water more appealing to the eye.

Currently the World Showcase Lagoon islands are home to mirrors used to bounce the lasers during Reflections of Earth.

-Rob

WDW Monorail

Aside from the mirrors for the lasrers, I have seen several people sitting at a desk on one of the islands. I was waiting for Illuminations when I saw then and they had a lap top or some other controll device open. Could it be that this is one of the RoE controll centers?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Aside from the mirrors for the lasrers, I have seen several people sitting at a desk on one of the islands. I was waiting for Illuminations when I saw then and they had a lap top or some other controll device open. Could it be that this is one of the RoE controll centers?
Nope - RoE is still controlled from Mexicos roof. One Island however (#4) has a laser on it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, each laser is individually computer controlled so there must be a make-shift control center which contains the programming.
Exactly. Each laser will have a local control system that communicates with the show computer.

I`m sure cac will be here soon :wave:

Robfasto

They also have cut-out where they used to hide boats during the shows so they could run out to a barge quickly if a problem came up.

donaldfan

What an awesome pic of Epcot -- thanks for posting!!

They should have $100/plate dessert reception on one of the islands during ROE! :slurp: :ROFLOL:

It's a joke . . .

mainstreet1997

I like the islands during the day but not during Illuminations. Disney is the king of animitronics. Why cant they like sink down or the trees go down into the islands?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I like the islands during the day but not during Illuminations. Disney is the king of animitronics. Why cant they like sink down or the trees go down into the islands?
Money I guess. The prom has it`s complex hydraulic lighting system so it wouldn`t be impossible. Unless for safetys sake they can`t make the shields movable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom