The Real Castle

Nubs70

Original Poster
20230802_142959.jpg

JIMINYCR

As many things at Disney, Walt got his ideas from others, as in stories, architecture etc. and then built upon what he saw, to make them his.

Bocabear

Cinderella Castle was based on other castles and decidedly French in it's style...As opposed to Sleeping Beauty's Castle and Neuschwanstein. Funny that when they built Hong Kong Disneyland they copied the original Disneyland castle....and have since added a surround which engulfs the smaller castle completely... The Disneyland Castle was just too small for a modern theme park...Especially in Hong Kong where the city is incredibly vertical...

Nubs70

Original Poster
Cinderella Castle was based on other castles and decidedly French in it's style...As opposed to Sleeping Beauty's Castle and Neuschwanstein. Funny that when they built Hong Kong Disneyland they copied the original Disneyland castle....and have since added a surround which engulfs the smaller castle completely... The Disneyland Castle was just too small for a modern theme park...Especially in Hong Kong where the city is incredibly vertical...
Another interesting feature of the castle was a specific room that was a replication of a cave. Much like the beginning interior of Pirates at WDW.

The Empress Lilly

Not immediately apparant, is that Neuschwanstein itself too was a Disney-like modern mashup of romanticised old castles, built for effect and amusement purposes. Complete with telephones and electricity. By now, Sleeping Beauty Castle is almost as close in time to Neuschwanstein as it is too us.

Not that this detracts. Kitsch, the expression of one man's grand dreams, the carefully choreographied theatrical experience the visitor undergoes are elements of all palaces, from Versailles to the Forbidden Palace to Disneyland.

Heppenheimer

Sure that wasn't the wine room?
It really is a cave replica. Its been almost a decade since my last tour of Neuschwanstein, but I think the room was either intended as Ludwig's bathing room, or the walkway to it... my memory is fuzzy on this detail.

He also had this built on the grounds of one of his other residences (Linderhof):

1691085899168.png

I definitely got a Pirates of the Caribbean vibe when I visited.

And for an Aladdin feel, this is the second floor of his isolated mountain chalet:

1691086054150.png

In some ways, I think Disney and Ludwig II were kindred spirits.

JoeCamel

It really is a cave replica. Its been almost a decade since my last tour of Neuschwanstein, but I think the room was either intended as Ludwig's bathing room, or the walkway to it... my memory is fuzzy on this detail.

In some ways, I think Disney and Ludwig II were kindred spirits.
That's mad just mad......

Heppenheimer

For example...

Do the upper windows on Chateau Chambord look familiar?

1691087253435.png

How about the turrets on Chateau Chaumont?

1691087323293.png

Or the spire on Notre Dame?

1691087356713.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom