The Real Castle

Cmdr_Crimson

I guess we forgot that we fly by it in Soarin over the World...
FpeVSF.gif

Last edited:

Bocabear

Prague? I loved Prague! What a beautiful city!! One of the few that didn't get bombed during World War 2 so it is remarkably intact.

Heppenheimer

Do you find the rebuilt area of Dresden... kind of Disney-like? I know its a real city, but the rebuilt old town felt to me, oddly disjointed from the rest of Dresden. Kind of like a place that people visit, but not where people actually live.

Speaking of Cinderella and Dresden, did you see nearby Schloss Moritzburg?

1691685653789.png

A popular East German-Czech version of Cinderella was partially filmed here, Drei Hasselüsse für Aschenbrödel. How I learned this is a slightly embarrassing story.

Nubs70

Original Poster
I'm just here for about 36 hours. Hotel is right in old city next to the Residenz. Most of old town is rebuilt and is made in respect to the original architecture.

20230810_172350.jpg
The Kulturpalast is a trip with the music mural on the front.

Nubs70

Original Poster
Do you find the rebuilt area of Dresden... kind of Disney-like? I know its a real city, but the rebuilt old town felt to me, oddly disjointed from the rest of Dresden. Kind of like a place that people visit, but not where people actually live.

Upon further inspection and getting into the Residenz. This whole place has been rebuilt. Some facades are original with rehabilitation. At first glance things look very authentic, but close inspection reveals lines are too straight and dimensional reliefs are painted on.

20230811_154516.jpg

Some may wonder why the stonework looks so dirty. This is from the firebombing from WWII.

Heppenheimer

Upon further inspection and getting into the Residenz. This whole place has been rebuilt. Some facades are original with rehabilitation. At first glance things look very authentic, but close inspection reveals lines are too straight and dimensional reliefs are painted on.

View attachment 736820

Some may wonder why the stonework looks so dirty. This is from the firebombing from WWII.
If I recall, most of the Residenz, except the Grünes Gewölb, is a burnt-out shell anyway. They didn't really attempt to restore the interior, they just stabilized the structure, put in flooring and filled it with museum exhibits.

Nubs70

Original Poster
If I recall, most of the Residenz, except the Grünes Gewölb, is a burnt-out shell anyway. They didn't really attempt to restore the interior, they just stabilized the structure, put in flooring and filled it with museum exhibits.
It's "restored" and full of some pretty neat stuff. They are still restoring the Zwinger across the street
20230811_151222.jpg

20230811_151210.jpg
20230811_151238.jpg

Last edited:

Nubs70

Original Poster
Prague? I loved Prague! What a beautiful city!! One of the few that didn't get bombed during World War 2 so it is remarkably intact.
Went to an absinthe bar. The Green Devil.. two flights of stairs down in the basement. Really cool decor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom