Trip Report THE ONE FOR MY BIRTHDAY IN MARCH; 3/15-3/20, 2019 *COMPLETE*

It is official. I am old.

Suddenly my back hurts, my eyesight is failing and I cant remember too good. Or is it too well? I cant remember.

A few months ago when my husband Ant asked me what I wanted to do for this milestone birthday (my Grandma told me a lady never reveals her age, but it has a zero at the end) I said, “NO PARTY!” Instead I wanted to be with my family and go to Disney. And that is what I did.

If you have read my previous TR’s you may recognize some of the cast, if not, dont worry. Here is a cheat sheet.

Husband-Ant
Sons: X- 19, AJ-15, Dre-13

Of course what would a trip be without pretrip drama. Ours was brought to us courtesy of AJ’s high school lacrosse coach.
Briefly, AJ decided last year, about the time he broke his foot, that school and homework weren't cool. He lost his way a little bit and is academically ineligible at the moment for sports. However, he has been working hard and his english and math grades are still a bit dismal, but he is above 80 in everything else. His lax coach has been a complete jerk. He is a total and he bullies and picks on the kids relentlessly. (My oldest, X was a saint compared to most boys and he got the full brunt of this tyrant!) The sad thing is, up until a year ago when he retired, he was a dean at the school. His job was to stop the very behavior that he IS.
AJ was a returning varsity player but the coach gave his jersey number to an incoming freshman. But, we were required to buy a “gear package” that was personalized with his number. Luckily we only got the jacket and have not paid for it yet. We will not pay for it if AJ does not get his number. (The freshman? Doesnt even want the number!)
We made our flight for Friday March 15 at 6:00 pm so the kids could go to school and any practice they would have that day. Turns out there was a lax scrimmage that night. But AJ cant play remember. There was also practice the next morning. Ant emails the coach explaining its my birthday, Disney, going to X’s game etc. Coach emails back, “Saturday practice 10-12.” Ugggh
We rebook AJ on a Saturday flight. Get my FIL to help out and line up a ride and place for AJ to sleep etc. Then on Wed before we are set to leave (2 days before) Ant has a chat with the coach about withholding AJ’s number and the trip. Coach says, “take him. I was going to email you right back but I felt stupid.”
So now we had to change AJ’s flight once again. I was happy we were all flying together but what a jerk! Oh and AJ’s number? He didnt want to “reward” him for his behavior. I really hate that man. (BTW: that number had also been X’s number and it had been forced on AJ the year before by the players and the coach. It worked out because all of X’s old sweats and shirts have that number. Hand me downs!)

But on to the good!!

Day 1/ March 15

I opened birthday presents at home

Then we were off to the airport. The HS where the lax scrimmage was being held was on our way so we stopped and watched from the car for a few minutes.

Then we were on our way to Florida!

Fire Island looks so pretty from up here!

I wore my ears on the plane and all the way to the resort. It was my birthday and I was going to celebrate it. Nobody even looked twice.

Funny story. At one point during the flight I was putting on some hand lotion (my old skin dries out so fast😉). It was, of course, some leftover H2O lotion from our February trip. A little girl behind me said to her mom, “Mom! It smells like Disney!” I love it!!!

It took awhile to get the rental car but we were here at last!!!

MickeyCB

Very funny, I'm the one who asked if you were going at Easter. A birthday trip report sounds better! I celebrated my 50th at Disney (first time to ever stay at the Polynesian several years ago), it was wonderful! Looking forward to reading of your adventures. I hope they spoiled you big time!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
yay! Another Trip report so soon! I'm so very excited!

I have to admit I bought a lot of 3 tubes of h2o shampoo off Ebay this morning.... I need that Disney smell! And I might have bought some silcone bottles to pump some shampoo into, to take home from the resort. :😊:
That is hysterical!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
As someone who's coached LAX (as well as a myriad of other sports), I agree; AJ's coach is a jerk.

Happy Birthday and looking forward to another report!

PS - are you now competing against @Tuvalu as far as number of trips? So jealous.
Ha ha!!! No. It is just the way things worked out this year.
Thank you for the birthday wishes.
It kills me that I let my kids play for such a bully. We got a new AD this year so hopefully some changes will be coming!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Happy belated birthday! Hope it was a great trip :)
Thank you. I was at Disney so how could it be bad???
Looking forward to another report!
Thanks so much!
Yay! Another trip report! LOVE your Minnie suitcase!
I have the matching big one. I bought them before our Christmas trip. I called them my early birthday present. I am really milking this one!
Happy Belated Birthday. Can't wait to read the March installment of Darstarr's Birthday at Disney.🍾🎂
Thank you for the birthday wishes.
Following along! Can’t wait to see if any new ears make an appearance!
Ummm
Of course they do!!!
Very funny, I'm the one who asked if you were going at Easter. A birthday trip report sounds better! I celebrated my 50th at Disney (first time to ever stay at the Polynesian several years ago), it was wonderful! Looking forward to reading of your adventures. I hope they spoiled you big time!
Polynesian...heavy sigh. Any resort with Kona on tap in the lobby is alright by me!!!
Thanks for reading.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day one/March 15

We checked into Bay lake tower about 10:30. The smell in that lobby!! Heavenly. Later Ant asked the CM at the front desk what it was and she gave me the info. I haven't followed up on it yet.
We headed to our room.

We have been dvc members for 11 years with BLT as our home resort. But this was our first time ever staying here. Crazy! When I booked nothing was available at BLT so I got on the waitlist and something came through. Beggars could not be choosers.

People have described BLT studios as small. Those people exaggerate!!! They are not small. They are miniscule!!! Super tiny!! Think cruise ship. I felt like I was sleeping in Ikea!! But the beds and pillows....comfortable bliss!

Small pull out couch

Small (but comfy) bed. Can you see the nightstands? They are barely wider than the phone that sits on them.

See the cubbies at the top of the picture to the left of the sink? Cute but why not open up the wall and give us proper storage?

Also, and this is not a Disney specific complaint but goes out to the industry as a whole. You want us to reuse our towels. At dvc we need to reuse our towels. But there is never enough space/hooks/bars to hang them on. This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I will use the towel for a couple of days but not if it is wadded up on the floor. Hooks people!!! Take down some of the lame artwork and give us a couple hooks!!!

The kitchen was a really great small kitchen with tons of storage. But what the heck am I storing? I am not cooking, there is no stove or oven.

There was a really neat pullbout storage unit to the left of the fridge that went from ceiling to floor. Opposite the fridge was an alcove with open shelving on the bottom, counter space and a mirror. Yes this became the area where I blew dry my hair. Gross, I know, but the kitchen was not used as a kitchen.
(That space should be given to the bathroom which it shares a wall with)

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day one/March 15 cont

We had gotten a lake view. When getting on the waitlist my dvc vacation advisor recommended we put in for the lake view because there are more of those rooms so it would increase our chances.
Those who have been following along with the fireworks saga may see the irony in our view:

It is dark and blurry but it is the Contemporary marina.
We were in one of the rooms I looked at so longingly from our pontoon boat at Christmas and in February.

Also from our balcony.

Ant, AJ and I headed straight away to top of the world lounge. It was closing in on 11:00 and I only had an hour left in my birthday and I hadn't had a drink or cake! Dre was tired and not hungry so he made up the pullout and got comfy.

Once upstairs AJ looked at the menu and balked. I sent him over to the Contemporary to get some food.

MK was still open but not for long.

One question I asked myself was what time do they turn off the castle lights??? Or do they turn them off at all??? After the kiss good night do they start flicking them off and on? GET OUT!!! I may have gotten my answer later in the trip.

We ordered drinks. Kir Royal for me, Blue Moon for Ant.

Some apps
Shrimp and grits which were so good! And a margherita flat bread which was standard.

And of course, 7 layer chocolate cake. With a candle. This was unbelievable. I do not usually like (bakery) cake because it is normally dry and bland but wow!!!

Our server was Lorraine and she was really nice. She had told us it had been crazy up there for fireworks that night.

I will say, the accoustics were awful. There was a group of about 10 and they were so loud even though they really werent that loud. Does that make sense? Ant had his back to them and at one point it got really quiet. Ant asked if the group left. “Nope, just one guy.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom