Trip Report THE ONE FOR MOTHER’S DAY IN MAY (duh)🥑COMPLETE🥑

Welcome home!
Said no one in my house upon my return.

Who went? Well.....if you have read any of my previous trip reports (Christmas, February, March and April) you know I multitask when in Florida. This trip was no different. My oldest son, X, was finishing up his second year of college in SoFlo and I went down to help him pack up and move out.
The original plan (why is there always a plan A, B.. etc?) was to pack him up, drive his truck to WDW and put it on a transport. Then we would spend a few days in WDW and fly home. I even bought the plane tickets. But, do you know how much it cost to transport his car from Florida to Long Island? Just north of OMG!!!! Plan B: no transport, no flight home. We would be driving. We also had to trim 1.5 days from our Disney stay to allow for travel time. (Heavy sigh)

We stayed at Saratoga Springs in a studio,
May 10-13. I bought him a two day park hopper as he does not have an AP like the rest of the family.

Ok, we have the who, what, where, when and why. Lets get to it!

DAY ONE/MAY 10
I woke up at 4:00 am and left the house at 4:43. Ant drove me to the airport and we got there at 4:57 (he was driving slow this morning). My flight was at 6:10 going into Fort Lauderdale. My son’s school is equidistant between FLL and West Palm (PBI) and they both have the early morning flight. One is 6:00am and one is 6:10am so I usually book the cheapest. However, if I am renting a car I prefer FLL. PBI has their car rental offsite and it can be a hassel.

The morning before, at 6:10am I had checked in and gotten A37😮. What? I havent seen the A’s since SW started charging for better boarding assignments. Maybe the flight is empty?

The flight was not empty! The announcement came that there would be about 10 empty seats. I sat in an aisle in row 4. ROW 4!!!!
There was a gentleman at the window and our middle seat remained empty. Go figure. I have decided that I do not love sitting up that close. I am not sure why but it felt different, bumpier or something. Perhaps I was thrown off because I had a shortened horizon to look at? Or maybe I am just used to the back? Who knows.

It was an uneventful flight and we landed 20 minutes early. My son had a 10:00am final (seriously, who gives finals on the very last day of class?) and couldn’t be there when I landed. I could wait but it would take him 30 minutes each way which would have us close to noon. We still had a few trips to make to the storage unit and I wanted to be on the road to Disney by 1:00. We decided I would Uber.

Walking to the ride share area I passed the shuttle for the tri-rail. The tri-rail is a train that originates in Miami. I am not sure how far north it goes, I think it goes to West Palm. Thus the tri, as in three airports (I think). Anyhow, there is a station not 5 minutes from my son’s school. I made a mental note to look into that for next time.

I found Marco, my Uber driver and said, “hello, how are you today?” He said, “NO English”. Great. We hit some traffic and my 30 minute $36 drive became a 45 minute just shy of $50 (with tip) drive. On the plus side, I had time to research the tri-rail. If I read correctly there is a Free shuttle from FLL to the station and my trip to Boca Raton would cost $5! and take 30 minutes. Sorry Marco. No more Uber from FLL for me!

I had Marco drop me at a Dunkin Donuts near my sons school. (Yes, @VincciL , the one on Yamato). I got a tea and an egg sandwich and sat at a table outside.
415A5CA5-7670-4FED-A244-535627AF655A.jpeg

D86F8398-A580-4E45-B56F-52BFAC308651.jpeg

87ACDBA1-69DC-464A-ADDD-85F2AB685EE9.jpeg

It sprinkled the entire time. Of course it did. It’s ME!!! This picture is of the sprinkles on the table.
663C240E-22D0-4E61-B394-F2A9D8F77CE5.jpeg

This picture is of a lovely palm tree I was sitting under.
400B5237-670A-4B96-BB7E-46B33C652375.jpeg

I do love palm trees.

I was sitting there, eating, checking TR’s to see what @Back!Elbow!Shoulders! @NunuBelle and @NothatDonald were up to in their livish reports. I also knew @Tuvalu had left the day before and wanted to see if she made it home safely. A man pulls into a parking spot just in front of me. Then another man drives up and words are exchanged. Man1 cut off man2 or something. Man1 invites man2 to say it to his face. Man2 parks. Man1 gets out of his car and he is a huge bald guy (why are the always bald?) Man2 gets out of his car and he is smaller than man1 but not small. They are yelling, cursing etc. Man1 gets in man2’s face. Man2 pushes man1 away. Uh oh. Do I call 911? This is not going to end well. Man1 just keeps going back in man2’s face. Man 2 is, esentially cornered and keeps pushing man1 away. What do I do? Millers Ale house had just opened and I was hoping someone in there, having dealt with belligerent drunks, would know what to do. A scrawny, barely post pubescent guy comes out of Millers. Really? But another guy and his wife happen to be walking by and the guy (we can call him guy3) is bigger than man1 and man2 put together. Now man1 is throwing out racial slurs (man2 is hispanic man1 has to be a FLID) guy3 puts himself between the men. Man2 says he just wanted a cup of coffee. Guy3 says “I will buy you that cup of coffee” and walks him into DD with his arm still around him. Man1 turns to run his errand, notices me for the first time and says “sorry, that was bad” then went into Jersey Mikes to get his sandwich.

All before 11:00am.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY TWO/MAY 12 cont

After we saw the manatees (thank you @Rista1313) we headed to our next adventure. Where was it?
No, seriously. Where the heck are we???
201DC528-5A52-470E-9AD1-E0BB5B5D3855.jpeg

More foliage @fractal?

Ha ha
We are in the butterfly house! Yay! I had missed it on my April trip. And my March trip too.
57CE6135-E334-4548-8D0B-2411D289A045.jpeg

FC28ADCF-0A47-4A79-ABC0-0BE6149165AE.jpeg

E53A7625-E9CD-4659-BADC-F8ADC09D7A68.jpeg

This dude was one of the chosen ones. I wonder how many butterflies break out of the house this way??
I did notice a cluster of butterflies near the exit on the outside of the butterfly house. “Let us back in!” I think they were screaming.
57B3220E-8DD6-48FA-9B09-5D9D9114F0B9.jpeg

Then onward to the Mexico pavillon. X went to the men’s room while I got us a snack.
Guacamole for X🤢
E8C0F3E0-05B3-4ABC-AB13-F6F367D2493F.jpeg

And this tostada thingy for me.
0B3AE2F5-7B6F-4050-A361-8BB46A134559.jpeg

The toppings part was good but the bottom was chewy. Not in yummy bubble gum chewy way. In a this is stale from the Florida humidity kind of way.

As for the guac. I almost didnt post the picture but I had to talk about those “chips”. They were awful. They tasted like styrofoam peanuts (dont judge). Needless to say, almost the entire thing went right into the trash can. It seems even guac lovers have standards😇

You know the saying, when in Mexico go see the Three Cabillaros.
No?
Not a saying?
Well, it should be!
EEC8FC20-D006-4EAE-8BC0-B2F95071EDF4.jpeg

Are you kidding me???
Blurry again, or is it still? Geesh!!!
E3812182-3F73-497E-8AE6-1E6FD5AB475F.jpeg

184880AD-B61C-43EC-864F-2752BBBCEF1C.jpeg

Nailed it!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY 2/ MAY 12 cont

After Mexico we continued around World Showcase stopping to check out the trains in the Germany pavilion.
3AB5A916-53B3-4BAE-AFC8-37E41EEB6EAE.jpeg

Look at how cute these trains are with their flowers!!!
87FBD24A-2B4B-4C7A-ABB5-EDB76B60BC7A.jpeg

175659A0-7E24-4A36-B129-A065320F0428.jpeg

9E653FA1-9DB1-4447-AC3F-408D65CF4E77.jpeg

Now this next picture may look like a blurry photo of a cow. But it is not! It is a blurry picture of a quarter!!!
EBF3CA23-79B7-41EE-BD90-CC2081A771F1.jpeg

My boss passed away a few years ago. She was one of the most generous people I have ever met! We liked to joke that she was a (good) witch. After her passing her daughter and I started finding quarters in the most random spots at times when we really could have used her (she was like a Mother to me). We said that she was too generous to send a penny from heaven. It had to be a quarter!
So to be here on Mother’s day, thinking of her and looking down to see the quarter when there were no other coins present?? I teared up a bit. (Like I am ding now😥)

Mini flower and garden banners. So cute!
435E9510-5879-4492-9A04-F356446A9DDE.jpeg

EBE55750-41AB-4762-811B-58179D41BE64.jpeg

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Glad you confirmed the chips tasted as bad as they looked ... at first I thought the guacamole had been served with pork rinds!

Oh trust me, pork rinds would have been an improvement!

Oh, those are so CUTE!!! I don't think I've ever seen the trains all decked out in flowers before! Love this!! :inlove:
They really were adorable!!!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
I hate that the cookie wasn't good! When we ate it, it was super warm and soft and amazing. I hope the quality isn't going downhill on them :cry:

I just had it on my trip (though I haven't gotten to it yet in my TR, and it was warm and soft...not the best cookie I'd ever had IMO, but it wasn't stale.
Air fried anything scares me a little. Oil is essential to the frying process. Oil is the very definition of frying. Food fads, dont get me started👎
DH and I have an air fryer at home and LOVE it! We do spritz with a little olive oil but things turn out so good in it.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The flower trains!!! 😍😍😍
🌸🌼🌻
I just had it on my trip (though I haven't gotten to it yet in my TR, and it was warm and soft...not the best cookie I'd ever had IMO, but it wasn't stale.
I want a redo of the num num!! I should have asked for a new one or refund but, well, I didnt. I googled the recipe when I got home to see if there was a reason they were so hard. It was a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe so I must have just gotten an over cooked or stale one.
CB384334-CC74-4B25-A5E8-C8D04949F484.png

Rista1313

lindawdw

Just got all caught up with your last few updates! The butterfly tent is one of my favorite things at the F&G Festival! I can't believe Disney passed those things off as chips with the avocado! :oops: I really loved the story of Geanna(?) giving you a ride on her golf cart. It really does pay to be friendly and talkative at WDW!;) Avocados are my go to food every day🤣 so now I'm going to have to buy that hat! Loved the story of the quarter and the trains with the flowers are so dang cute. I somehow missed looking at them this May!:confused:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Just got all caught up with your last few updates! The butterfly tent is one of my favorite things at the F&G Festival! I can't believe Disney passed those things off as chips with the avocado! :oops: I really loved the story of Geanna(?) giving you a ride on her golf cart. It really does pay to be friendly and talkative at WDW!;) Avocados are my go to food every day🤣 so now I'm going to have to buy that hat! Loved the story of the quarter and the trains with the flowers are so dang cute. I somehow missed looking at them this May!:confused:
Thank you!
I have been trying to catch up on everyone’s TR’s and have been totally neglecting mine! Summer...so busy!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY TWO/ MAY 12 cont

After looking at the trains and seeing the quarter I could use a drink!😂
And some comfort food. I am Italian so that is where we went.
A7CFDF26-CD25-4298-AE3B-DFF592FFE05E.jpeg

One of each please! They were out of pizza but that was ok. I can have pizza anytime.
EDF466EA-94AC-4A9B-8B68-6B2D24F82554.jpeg

X loved loved ❤️‘d the tortellini. He asked me to make it when we got home and now it is a regular weekly thing even though my other two kids are not big fans.
97597452-B73D-47F4-A39E-52054147B7CB.jpeg

And I loved loved loved the fried green tomatoes. Too much cheese does not for a happy Darstarr make so X ate most of the cheese. But the mozz was good! Make no mistake about that.
5FEBB8D4-8083-40D4-BB7C-F1C02FA8CC1F.jpeg

I have a soft spot for Bellinis. It’s called my belly!!😂
This one was ok.
40B43DE0-3C41-46DA-A0C6-50371A6E9DDD.jpeg

But look at this view!!

A9271A57-9194-4AF2-A82A-62FEDA37EDAD.jpeg

BDE48574-C2F9-4241-9FE6-B879002B59EF.jpeg

Soooo the Zeppoles. I love zeppoles. I love donuts. I will make zeppoles from time to time. (New Year’s eve they are a must!)
I am used to hot, fresh, just from the fryer, doused in powdered sugar, finger burning, lip licking zeppoles. These were not that. I tried one and was not a fan. Neither was X.
There was a nice man at the table next to ours I was talking to, and I ended up giving them to him. He was there the entire time and saw I didnt touch the uneaten ones. I hate to waste food. I also hate to waste calories on something I dont really like.
EAB5A400-EC54-49E3-94E3-F83373D740EC.jpeg

I put this in because see my hat? Love this hat! (Ears are for winter but when the sun is out I need a hat!)
When I returned home I could not find the hat. What the heck? Did I leave it at SSR? But where? I dont lose things. I joke that the last thing I lost was my.....well, never mind.
My boss felt bad for me and tried finding a replacement pair on line. But he couldnt. So he had his niece, the queen of the internet shopping universe find me a pair. She, of course, was successful.
Yesterday, as we are getting ready for the beach, X comes out of his room with a reusable Epcot bag. It had been in the bottom of his closet since we returned. Inside the bag was my hat.
Oooops!
6D7D1719-6C65-4C17-AA71-EEF7575103CF.jpeg

One more.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY TWO/ MAY 12 cont

We moved onto our next food destination.

9CFFC23D-2000-4C63-959C-57B8E0780682.jpeg

They are coming for us.
936D681A-3A9A-4E6B-A030-2CCBAD10B535.jpeg

Funny story: we live near some lakes and there is a couple who walk their dog and feed the ducks. Their dog is similar in size, color and shape to my dog. One day I was walking Kobe, about the same time the couple walks, and the ducks were following us. Geese too. About two dozen birds in all following us down the street.
It was very unnerving and Kobe was getting spooked also.
Then I realized the ducks thought we were the couple and wanted to be fed. I clearly do not look like two people so I think the ducks mistook Kobe for the couples dog.
BE6AE0B9-7BD2-4CD1-A1E0-F58EF7ED0A73.jpeg

I think they knew where we were going.
EAA8DBE1-DF66-4821-A977-E9C652AAA445.jpeg

Canard i.e. duck.
7B6F096A-3393-45A0-A780-8D00F436FBBE.jpeg

AAAD788B-D2F5-42FD-9F1A-E2D8A3703D58.jpeg

The duck was ok but the goat cheese tarte. Holy cow was it delicious. And the Kir Royale was also superb!

Onward.
E937DE1D-A944-4014-8940-F14EF6FA61E6.jpeg

6363783E-F1E5-40F8-AEB3-964347146AA9.jpeg

It was getting dark. I love palm trees. This picture does not do the beautifulness (I got that word from Anna, technically she uses beautifuller but I am going to allow it) justice.
9CE5121B-9FB0-4E79-B0DA-E53D3FA5E6F2.jpeg

lindawdw

I'm with ya on the zeppoles needing to be hot and fresh from the fryer in order to be of the delicious kind! ;) I've always lived in NJ and the Italian Festivals make the best zeppoles ever! I'm glad you found your hat eventually and now you even have a spare one in case you do lose it!😁 The views from around WS are the most beautiful especially around sunset!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm with ya on the zeppoles needing to be hot and fresh from the fryer in order to be of the delicious kind! ;) I've always lived in NJ and the Italian Festivals make the best zeppoles ever! I'm glad you found your hat eventually and now you even have a spare one in case you do lose it!😁 The views from around WS are the most beautiful especially around sunset!
I could use some zeppoles right now.
I wonder how they would taste made in an air fryer😂

LisaBelle

DAY TWO/ MAY 12 cont

We moved onto our next food destination.

View attachment 386665
They are coming for us.
View attachment 386657
Funny story: we live near some lakes and there is a couple who walk their dog and feed the ducks. Their dog is similar in size, color and shape to my dog. One day I was walking Kobe, about the same time the couple walks, and the ducks were following us. Geese too. About two dozen birds in all following us down the street.
It was very unnerving and Kobe was getting spooked also.
Then I realized the ducks thought we were the couple and wanted to be fed. I clearly do not look like two people so I think the ducks mistook Kobe for the couples dog.
View attachment 386658

I think they knew where we were going.
View attachment 386659

Canard i.e. duck.
View attachment 386661

View attachment 386660

The duck was ok but the goat cheese tarte. Holy cow was it delicious. And the Kir Royale was also superb!

Onward.
View attachment 386662

View attachment 386663

It was getting dark. I love palm trees. This picture does not do the beautifulness (I got that word from Anna, technically she uses beautifuller but I am going to allow it) justice.
View attachment 386664
Love the duck story!
Yes! Those goat cheese tartes were fantastic! My sister and I shared one and we wished we’d each gotten our own. It was my sister’s favorite food from all of the Flower & Garden booths. Yummy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom