Trip Report THE ONE FOR MOTHER’S DAY IN MAY (duh)🥑COMPLETE🥑

Welcome home!
Said no one in my house upon my return.

Who went? Well.....if you have read any of my previous trip reports (Christmas, February, March and April) you know I multitask when in Florida. This trip was no different. My oldest son, X, was finishing up his second year of college in SoFlo and I went down to help him pack up and move out.
The original plan (why is there always a plan A, B.. etc?) was to pack him up, drive his truck to WDW and put it on a transport. Then we would spend a few days in WDW and fly home. I even bought the plane tickets. But, do you know how much it cost to transport his car from Florida to Long Island? Just north of OMG!!!! Plan B: no transport, no flight home. We would be driving. We also had to trim 1.5 days from our Disney stay to allow for travel time. (Heavy sigh)

We stayed at Saratoga Springs in a studio,
May 10-13. I bought him a two day park hopper as he does not have an AP like the rest of the family.

Ok, we have the who, what, where, when and why. Lets get to it!

DAY ONE/MAY 10
I woke up at 4:00 am and left the house at 4:43. Ant drove me to the airport and we got there at 4:57 (he was driving slow this morning). My flight was at 6:10 going into Fort Lauderdale. My son’s school is equidistant between FLL and West Palm (PBI) and they both have the early morning flight. One is 6:00am and one is 6:10am so I usually book the cheapest. However, if I am renting a car I prefer FLL. PBI has their car rental offsite and it can be a hassel.

The morning before, at 6:10am I had checked in and gotten A37😮. What? I havent seen the A’s since SW started charging for better boarding assignments. Maybe the flight is empty?

The flight was not empty! The announcement came that there would be about 10 empty seats. I sat in an aisle in row 4. ROW 4!!!!
There was a gentleman at the window and our middle seat remained empty. Go figure. I have decided that I do not love sitting up that close. I am not sure why but it felt different, bumpier or something. Perhaps I was thrown off because I had a shortened horizon to look at? Or maybe I am just used to the back? Who knows.

It was an uneventful flight and we landed 20 minutes early. My son had a 10:00am final (seriously, who gives finals on the very last day of class?) and couldn’t be there when I landed. I could wait but it would take him 30 minutes each way which would have us close to noon. We still had a few trips to make to the storage unit and I wanted to be on the road to Disney by 1:00. We decided I would Uber.

Walking to the ride share area I passed the shuttle for the tri-rail. The tri-rail is a train that originates in Miami. I am not sure how far north it goes, I think it goes to West Palm. Thus the tri, as in three airports (I think). Anyhow, there is a station not 5 minutes from my son’s school. I made a mental note to look into that for next time.

I found Marco, my Uber driver and said, “hello, how are you today?” He said, “NO English”. Great. We hit some traffic and my 30 minute $36 drive became a 45 minute just shy of $50 (with tip) drive. On the plus side, I had time to research the tri-rail. If I read correctly there is a Free shuttle from FLL to the station and my trip to Boca Raton would cost $5! and take 30 minutes. Sorry Marco. No more Uber from FLL for me!

I had Marco drop me at a Dunkin Donuts near my sons school. (Yes, @VincciL , the one on Yamato). I got a tea and an egg sandwich and sat at a table outside.
415A5CA5-7670-4FED-A244-535627AF655A.jpeg

D86F8398-A580-4E45-B56F-52BFAC308651.jpeg

87ACDBA1-69DC-464A-ADDD-85F2AB685EE9.jpeg

It sprinkled the entire time. Of course it did. It’s ME!!! This picture is of the sprinkles on the table.
663C240E-22D0-4E61-B394-F2A9D8F77CE5.jpeg

This picture is of a lovely palm tree I was sitting under.
400B5237-670A-4B96-BB7E-46B33C652375.jpeg

I do love palm trees.

I was sitting there, eating, checking TR’s to see what @Back!Elbow!Shoulders! @NunuBelle and @NothatDonald were up to in their livish reports. I also knew @Tuvalu had left the day before and wanted to see if she made it home safely. A man pulls into a parking spot just in front of me. Then another man drives up and words are exchanged. Man1 cut off man2 or something. Man1 invites man2 to say it to his face. Man2 parks. Man1 gets out of his car and he is a huge bald guy (why are the always bald?) Man2 gets out of his car and he is smaller than man1 but not small. They are yelling, cursing etc. Man1 gets in man2’s face. Man2 pushes man1 away. Uh oh. Do I call 911? This is not going to end well. Man1 just keeps going back in man2’s face. Man 2 is, esentially cornered and keeps pushing man1 away. What do I do? Millers Ale house had just opened and I was hoping someone in there, having dealt with belligerent drunks, would know what to do. A scrawny, barely post pubescent guy comes out of Millers. Really? But another guy and his wife happen to be walking by and the guy (we can call him guy3) is bigger than man1 and man2 put together. Now man1 is throwing out racial slurs (man2 is hispanic man1 has to be a FLID) guy3 puts himself between the men. Man2 says he just wanted a cup of coffee. Guy3 says “I will buy you that cup of coffee” and walks him into DD with his arm still around him. Man1 turns to run his errand, notices me for the first time and says “sorry, that was bad” then went into Jersey Mikes to get his sandwich.

All before 11:00am.

BuckyMom

DAY TWO/MAY 11 cont

Back to dinner at Kona Cafe. X was so excited for sushi. Lets see what we ordered...
View attachment 380765

The bread with macadamia nut butter was yummy.
View attachment 380766

Failed selfie.
View attachment 380767

Our server to the rescue.
View attachment 380768

And really to our rescue!!!
View attachment 380769

We started with the crispy pork-vegetable dumplings.
View attachment 380770
They were good but greasy. Really greasy.
It was after 9:00, what was I thinking? I cant eat that late. And I certainly can not eat heavy greasy food that late!

About this time a family at the table next to us returned. They had all been outside watching the fireworks. Duh! Why didnt I think of that?? Order then go outside... rats!

I ordered the poached chicken noodle salad. It was cold and I was hoping light.
View attachment 380771

It looks weird and tasted, well, lets just say, I didnt love it. It was not well done but had potential. Oh who am I kidding??? It was a cold mess. (It was light because I didnt eat it😂)

And what did X get?
View attachment 380772
Yes. It is a dang burger. A burger??? We could have gone to Cosmic Ray’s and gotten a burger! What happened to the sushi??? He wasnt “feeling it”.
These kids! I missed HEA for this swill???
I have an ADR for Kona on Friday - breakfast....it's my first time there in the morning. Please tell me that I didn't make a poor choice. I just want to try Tonga Toast once...

Loco_driver

I have an ADR for Kona on Friday - breakfast....it's my first time there in the morning. Please tell me that I didn't make a poor choice. I just want to try Tonga Toast once...

I may be wrong, but I believe they still serve Tonga toast at captain cooks for a lower price. If that’s the sole reason you wanted to go to Kona, this may be a better option.

BuckyMom

I may be wrong, but I believe they still serve Tonga toast at captain cooks for a lower price. If that’s the sole reason you wanted to go to Kona, this may be a better option.
Thanks. With Coffee Press? A girl needs her fancy coffee...

Last edited:

LisaBelle

If you want the strawberry sauce on the Tonga Toast you have to go to Kona. I’ve had it both places and I loved the strawberry sauce so I preferred the Kona version. I enjoyed the “fancy” coffee there as well!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I really like breakfast at Kona Cafe, but when I ate lunch there I didn't like it at all. I wouldn't hesitate to go back for breakfast. I love the Kona pressed pot coffee and the Loco Moco.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I really like breakfast at Kona Cafe, but when I ate lunch there I didn't like it at all. I wouldn't hesitate to go back for breakfast. I love the Kona pressed pot coffee and the Loco Moco.
Noted.
I ate dinner there a few years ago and loved every bite. This menu however, is having an identity crisis! It is all over the place.

sheriffwoody

Freshman?!? Ha. He will be starting his third year but technically he will be a senior.
I dont think it is lack of courage, I think he is lazy!!! Why the rush to finish school then?
Ah ok! For some reason I thought it was his first year. I have always enjoyed work, so I would be all over an opportunity like that, but I definitely had tons of friends in college who didn't do jack until they graduated 🤣 Then they were like "oh shoot, I guess I need to like do something..." He'll get there! You've done your part setting him up for success 🙌

Songbird76

DAY TWO/MAY 11 cont

After Space Mountain I looked for a FP. Something indoors!!! Winnie ille Pooh (I took 3 years of Latin. My 3rd year “project” was to translate Winnie ille Pooh into english. Tough one!)
View attachment 380520

View attachment 380521

When X was little Eeyore was his favorite. But he slept with Pooh.
View attachment 380522

And a trunk up, albeit a blurry trunk up and technically not an elephant. But I am going to allow it.
View attachment 380523

After Pooh we walked through the castle. It seems like close to forever since I strolled through the castle.
View attachment 380524
My girl Cindy trying on shoes.

View attachment 380525

Then we saw this and I had to take a picture.
View attachment 380526
Yes, it was a bride and groom and why wasn't there a photographer behind them to take this picture??? In hindsight I should have chased them down and offer to share it with them. It’s not a great picture but it is honest.
X of course kept telling me I had to stop talking to people. I told him the other guests contribute to the good time (unless they dont😉) He kept getting annoyed when I would talk to people. Dude! Get your nose out of your phone and talk to your fellow humans!!!
Besides, it came in handy a few times. For example, we got that nasty blue dessert in AK...
View attachment 380527

Still....View attachment 380528

View attachment 380529
I have to wonder, would Katiebug be happy she could walk through the castle or would it be ruined and unmagical because the moat is drained???
But....why shouldn't you talk to people? I mean, I know the whole "Don't talk to strangers" thing, but I think once you are past elementary school, that rule kind of becomes obsolete. Although, my brother and I were thoroughly embarrassed when we were teens and my dad had brought us to Nebraska and there's this big outdoorsman store for camping, hunting, fishing, etc. So we were leaving and my dad notices a car with California plates in the parking lot, and we, being from Wyoming, and we're in Nebraska, think that California is a LONG way to go for camping, etc. My dad goes over to the car and waits until the people come out of the store and just greets these people like he's known them for years. "So how are things in California?" and these poor people looked so confused because they had no idea who this guy was. My brother and I pretended we didn't know my dad.

But in Disneyworld, why SHOULDN'T you talk to other people?

Songbird76

DAY TWO/MAY 11 cont

It was now time for some AC. X was hot. We headed towards Frontierland. I was hoping he would go on splash. Nope. Instead we did the country bears.

Love these boys! I like how they click and make noise when they move. Totally old school. This was my moms favorite so once I was the planner I vowed never to make my kids do this everytime. I have kept my vow. X thought this was his first time ever seeing the show. I doubt it but it is possible.
View attachment 380562

View attachment 380564

We discussed dinner options while we waited for the show to begin. I was dreaming of a little QS, maybe at the Poly followed by fireworks from the beach. Or QS at the contemporary with HPE from the top of the world lounge. For some reason I pulled up the menu for Kona Cafe. X saw that there was sushi and he really wanted to go there. Nooooo! The only reservation was at 8:45. Prime FW viewing time. Plus the menu is crap! But X had been such a good sport so ok.

We hit up Pirates
View attachment 380563

Then we headed back to SSR to shower and change. (And have a beer)
Then we got on a bus back to MK.
Monorail or boat?
Me: “Let’s take the boat. We haven't done that yet.”
“Mom, there is literally a monorail in the station right now and that boat line is so long.”
“That’s the wrong monorail.”
So we get in the boat line. The long boat line for the tiny boat. There was a family of six in front of us and the line cut off at them. The CM’s working (shift change) pointed to another boat waiting to get to the dock, assuring us it would not be a long wait.
The captain came over, “party of two?”
That would be us! YES we got on the first boat and with seats right next to the exit. We were running a bit behind, and I had been hoping for a leisurely drink in the lobby before dinner.

Beautiful palm tree photos.
View attachment 380575

View attachment 380565

Boat pix
View attachment 380574

Now came the snafu. We made it to the first stop which was the Grand Floridian. Some passengers dissembarked, including the two adults sharing the bench with X and I. Some passengers got on. Two people sat on the bench with X and I but then a third (self absorbed teenage daughter) decided there was room for her too. No excuse me. No can you scoot over a little. (Btw we could not scoot over. X had one butt cheek half on as it was.) She just plopped herself down. She sat on my leg fat!!!
Wait what???
You know when you sit down and your thigh spreads a bit. No matter how skinny you are you get thigh spread! Own it! This twit sat right on it. OUCH!!!!! I think she expected me to move but there was nowhere to go.

And now the electrical water pagent was coming through. And they have the right away. So we sat and sat with this ***** squirmming the entire time, nose in her phone. She had to sit by her Dad but is not talking to him??? Go sit in your own seat, the one with all the room.

We made it. No premeal relaxing drink. How about an ice pack for my leg (and a diet!)
View attachment 380568
Wait....did she sit in between you and X? Is it possible that she was hoping to catch X's eye? That she could force you to move so she could sit next to him? How old was she?

Songbird76

I was chatting with some neighbors the other day. One man works for a company that does live streaming, mostly sports. That is right in X’s area of study and he could always use a job for next summer. It gets better! The company this man works for recently got bought by Disney to work on Disney+. HE NOW WORKS FOR DISNEY!! He told me to have X drop off his resume. Do you know, X will not go over there and talk to him. I saw his wife yesterday and she asked what was up. What do I say? My son is an idiot who is afraid to talk to people?? May I have a job instead???
What is he going to do when he gets called for a job interview in the future? "I'm sorry...I'd love the job, but I can't talk to strangers. Can we just skip the interview phase?"

LeighM

We've always loved breakfast at Kona Cafe. My husband used to love the Tonga Toast but he doesn't enjoy sweets as much now. My favorite item is the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes. They are sooooo good!!! My favorite breakfast anywhere - those pancakes and their Lilikoi (POG) juice. Yum :)

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
But....why shouldn't you talk to people? I mean, I know the whole "Don't talk to strangers" thing, but I think once you are past elementary school, that rule kind of becomes obsolete. Although, my brother and I were thoroughly embarrassed when we were teens and my dad had brought us to Nebraska and there's this big outdoorsman store for camping, hunting, fishing, etc. So we were leaving and my dad notices a car with California plates in the parking lot, and we, being from Wyoming, and we're in Nebraska, think that California is a LONG way to go for camping, etc. My dad goes over to the car and waits until the people come out of the store and just greets these people like he's known them for years. "So how are things in California?" and these poor people looked so confused because they had no idea who this guy was. My brother and I pretended we didn't know my dad.

But in Disneyworld, why SHOULDN'T you talk to other people?
Oh my gosh! Your Dad!!!❤️😂
That whole don’t talk to strangers thing does not apply in Disney!!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
What is he going to do when he gets called for a job interview in the future? "I'm sorry...I'd love the job, but I can't talk to strangers. Can we just skip the interview phase?"

Well...
Can we insta the interview?
Can you talk to my parents instead?
But I’m Vinn, er...X
FA5F9E70-284E-4B6F-B26B-9F8E2F1DB6B2.jpeg

That reminds me of this video:

Love this. Dying of laughter.
The snowflakes are scary.

lindawdw

I also find myself talking with strangers a lot no matter where we go and my daughters (who are in their early 30's) roll their eyes at me all the time. My younger daughter and I went to Charleston, SC last month to celebrate her birthday and I literally talked to every Uber driver until we would reach our destination. She told me she never says a word to any driver (she lives in NYC) and can't understand why I like to talk so much. Maybe it comes with age that you just don't care and are willing to talk with anyone.;) Hopefully, X will get up the nerve to talk with your neighbor about the prospective summer job! We ate at Kona Café last year and had the worst experience ever. We both decided the atmosphere was lacking and the food was pretty bad so we won't be returning anytime soon for sure. You're a good mama though and X will remember all the wonderful things that you have done for him when he gets older. Hope you felt ok at bedtime after all that late night food!:oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom