Trip Report THE ONE...(February 2020)*COMPLETE*

Ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages and fellow Magicians, as you can see, I am having a little trouble with the title of this trip report. It could be “THE ONE FOR MY BEST FRIEND’S BIRTHDAY”, or “THE ONE WHERE I LEFT MY BRAIN AT HOME.” Or there is, “THE ONE WHERE I GOT A GLIMPSE OF A DISNEY LEGEND”. There is also, “THE ONE WHERE WE JOINED THE RESISTANCE”.
I think I will begin title less and let all you good people have a say when it is over.

We always begin with the why.
A small bit of background first:
M and I have been friend’s since college (a looong time😎). M’s family has a small family business. When my kids were little my job got to be too much (70-100 hours a week) so I left. When my youngest started Kindergarten M’s family asked me if I would come work for them part time. It is not what I went to school for but it offered me flexibility for the kids, and besides, how do you say no to family?
So some of you may have figured it out, M is not only my friend, but my boss as well.

M is a great friend! No really! Die hard Met fan who will go with me to see the Dodgers when they are in town and actually root (🎶root root🎶) for the Dodgers.
21B50DAE-E983-4578-8D31-4A8BAD4D8EA8.jpeg

M had a birthday coming up. M’s sister and two grown nieces are big Disney fans and we are always talking about what is new with the parks, food and the shopping😍. Poor M, always left out. So I asked if he wanted to go for his Birthday. “YES”, was his answer BTW. (Plus, my oldest son, X had a lacrosse game in Jacksonville so we got to see that as well.)
M hadn't been to WDW in 20 years! So we got the time off from HR (M’s sister🤣) and I started planning.
I will say, taking a newbie (after a 20 year absence you revert to newbie status-this is the way) to WDW is fun! I got to see everything through his eyes, like it was the first time. Plus, if I made a miscalculation or left something out—he had no way of knowing!!!🤣🤣 M’s only request: “can we ride the teacups?” (and he asked X to score 5 goals for him as a birthday gift-stay tuned for that)
“Of course we can!” My family will never ride the teacups with me so I haven't been on them in at least 10 years. This was off to a promising start!!!

Songbird76

I'm so very seriously late, but I'm here! I like your hair!

I have a question about the 5 goals. WHY does a coach not want them to score in the last minute? Isn't that kind of the point? To score as much as you can? I mean, obviously if you were a few points up, they couldn't catch you, but why actively try NOT to score?

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm so very seriously late, but I'm here! I like your hair!

I have a question about the 5 goals. WHY does a coach not want them to score in the last minute? Isn't that kind of the point? To score as much as you can? I mean, obviously if you were a few points up, they couldn't catch you, but why actively try NOT to score?
You are late!
And you have been MIA.
And I was worried about you.
Welcome. Glad you are well.
Now about the game of lacrosse.
When a goal is scored, you have a faceoff (think jump ball in basketball but on the ground). Theoretically the other team could win the faceoff, run down and score. Then do it again. And again. And in just a minute you could be in trouble.
If you hold the ball, continue to possess it, the other team can not score and they have no chance of an epic comeback.
Good question!!!

Songbird76

Monday February 10th cont

I needed a stiff drink after that horror show. I settled for a Grand Marnier Slushee. I should say, we settled...two straws.
View attachment 452669
I must say @DisneyGigi I see why you add a touch of vanilla. I taste it now. I don't add the vanilla when I make them at home as I prefer the drink without. I also prefer the drink with extra Grand Marnier!
But you could see, a little vanilla didn't stop me😂
View attachment 452670

This made me think of @JIMINYCR
View attachment 452671

We stopped in America and I got the scallop with chorizo and red pepper coulis. There were plenty of picnic tables and we were going to sit a minute. I was going to enjoy my scallop and M had a problem at work to deal with.

No picture because there was a man and his wife in a scooter vacating a table, although there were plenty. I dont recall who started the interaction but it was pleasant and breezy and then...
Then he started rambling on and on. They live 10 minutes away because they had to sell their expensive house on the water they purchased after retirement. It was on the water. Then he mentioned it was a beautiful house on the water. And they couldn't afford it.
Ummmm, why did you buy it?
Then it got really bad. He started in with the politics. M loves politics so I knew he could hold his own. I wanted no part of any of it. I inhaled my now cold scallop, and excused myself to go to the restroom. HA! For the first time all day, I didn't really have to go.

When I came out they had left.

I thought M would like The American Adventure so we headed in.
I think this is the floor in there? Its kinda cool.
View attachment 452672

He was not too impressed with America Adventure.

Next was Italy.
View attachment 452673
Looks good right???
I ordered the wrong thing. In fact I wasn't even in the right place. 😂
This was a Limoncello something or other.
I took a sip, “it tastes like pledge! Here M, you try.”
“Pass and how do you know what pledge tastes like?”

I could tell M was starting to not feel well. Sometimes he can’t even tell but those around him can pick up on it. I suggested we watch the trains and drink some water. Water cures many an ailment.
View attachment 452674
View attachment 452675
View attachment 452676
After all the water we drank of course we had to use the restroom🤣

I was looking for the refreshment outpost because they had a beer from Boca I wanted to try. M was not feeling well and I must have walked right past it because I was so focused on him. Although I have this picture so we must have been right there.
Trunk up for luck!
View attachment 452677
We got to China and I realized I missed it. M suggested we go back but I knew he was fading fast so we pressed on. His niece had sent a picture of a mickey sorcerer loungefly backpack she wanted. Off to Mouse Gear to look. I think I got my AP magnet too. Or maybe I got it the previous night.
No luck with the backpack but we got M’s sister a cozy blanket as a thank you for holding down the fort while we were away.

We then headed for the monorail.
I always think of you when I see elephants now, and I always have to look to see if the trunk is up.

Songbird76

What a great trip, and I'm so glad M had a great time for his birthday. You are a great friend to make that happen for him....I love the quarters!! I'm sure she approved and was saying thank you. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Songbird76

You are late!
And you have been MIA.
And I was worried about you.
Welcome. Glad you are well.
Now about the game of lacrosse.
When a goal is scored, you have a faceoff (think jump ball in basketball but on the ground). Theoretically the other team could win the faceoff, run down and score. Then do it again. And again. And in just a minute you could be in trouble.
If you hold the ball, continue to possess it, the other team can not score and they have no chance of an epic comeback.
Good question!!!
I'm sorry I worried you! About mid -November to mid-January is just a madhouse for us with birthdays, school events, choir performances for me, etc. This year was even busier than most and I was so far behind I am not sure I will ever catch up. I'm taking it one thread at a time in the TRs, starting with yours and Tuvalu's, but I have so many more to catch up on! I'll be looking forward to your next one though!

Interesting about the faceoff. Where I come from, sports are pretty limited. I don't think I had ever even heard of lacrosse until I was maybe in college, so I know nothing about it.

Oh, I forgot I wanted to say, you kept saying M had such a horrible diet and it reminded me of my dad. One time he called me and said his doctor was concerned about his cholesterol and so he had cut back to a box of crackers and six cookies for his lunch every day. :banghead: And he had to end every day with ice cream. He especially liked milkshakes and he would always say "It's a good thing milkshakes aren't fattening!" When he passed, we gave everyone the opportunity to share a story about him and half of them were about ice cream....that he brought ice cream to a 4th of july picnic when it was extremely hot and there was no way to keep it cold, but he HAD to have his ice cream. At the end of the funeral, we had bought a bunch of those individual ice cream cups with the wooden spoons so everyone could have ice cream with him one last time. Ice cream stuff to me is kind of like the quarters for you. It always tells me my dad is watching. I think he'd have gotten along well with @Longers, and apparently with M, too.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm sorry I worried you! About mid -November to mid-January is just a madhouse for us with birthdays, school events, choir performances for me, etc. This year was even busier than most and I was so far behind I am not sure I will ever catch up. I'm taking it one thread at a time in the TRs, starting with yours and Tuvalu's, but I have so many more to catch up on! I'll be looking forward to your next one though!

Interesting about the faceoff. Where I come from, sports are pretty limited. I don't think I had ever even heard of lacrosse until I was maybe in college, so I know nothing about it.

Oh, I forgot I wanted to say, you kept saying M had such a horrible diet and it reminded me of my dad. One time he called me and said his doctor was concerned about his cholesterol and so he had cut back to a box of crackers and six cookies for his lunch every day. :banghead: And he had to end every day with ice cream. He especially liked milkshakes and he would always say "It's a good thing milkshakes aren't fattening!" When he passed, we gave everyone the opportunity to share a story about him and half of them were about ice cream....that he brought ice cream to a 4th of july picnic when it was extremely hot and there was no way to keep it cold, but he HAD to have his ice cream. At the end of the funeral, we had bought a bunch of those individual ice cream cups with the wooden spoons so everyone could have ice cream with him one last time. Ice cream stuff to me is kind of like the quarters for you. It always tells me my dad is watching. I think he'd have gotten along well with @Longers, and apparently with M, too.
I love that story about your Dad. Too bad you cant find ice cream in your dryer😂😂😂
My next trip was suppose to start tonight for my birthday but, well.....
Then I had another for the end of the month. Also a no go.
I have mid lateish April but am not hopeful.
And Mothers day but who knows.
I have a ton of flight vouchers though, and some expire in as little as a month, so if wdw opens I am there!
Be well.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
SATURDAY MARCH 14, 2020

I wanted to share this with you all.
We had a flight to Florida last night to see my son play lax today. Then we were heading to WDW for my birthday.
Son’s season was cancelled, wdw will be closing so we did not go.
Usually I am off on Fridays and spend the day cleaning the house and doing laundry and catching up on the mundane chores of life. However, yesterday, I was cancelling dvc rooms and flights and generally sulking. Chores be damned, if you will.
I finally got the energy to start up the cleaning. I was vacuuming and there were some dirt clumps (if I have told the boys once to stop wearing their cleats in the house...) so I pulled the area rug back to vacuum and ....
74156C54-3AF1-4901-AE78-8553F40DED30.jpeg

Longers

What a lovely story about your dad I definitely think we would have got on. We’d probably have had an ice cream Marathon Day though as if I had someone else that into it I would need no encouragement.
Your dad is so right about no calories in milkshake - they are healthy (right?)
What a lovely way to remember him with everyone at the funeral - and to continue remembering him when you eat ice cream.

Songbird76

I love that story about your Dad. Too bad you cant find ice cream in your dryer😂😂😂
My next trip was suppose to start tonight for my birthday but, well.....
Then I had another for the end of the month. Also a no go.
I have mid lateish April but am not hopeful.
And Mothers day but who knows.
I have a ton of flight vouchers though, and some expire in as little as a month, so if wdw opens I am there!
Be well.
I will cross my fingers and toes, and send all the pixie dust and prayers I can muster that you get to go soon....I need to live vicariously until I can get back myself!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom