the old boat ride in AK??

CThaddeus

I was there in February, 2000 and it was already gone by then, but I'd love to see a video of it someday. I realize it was considered dull, but being the Disney enthusiast I am, I always want to see everything...even if it was awful (ie. Lights, Motors, Action).
To add to CEO2020's list of dragon references, there is also a small waterfall shaped like a dragon (or maybe just an alligator) off to the right as you cross the bridge into Camp Minnie-Mickey. I love those kinds of details.

iheartdisney91

Original Poster
I never got to ride this (not that I missed too much). We always took trips in February until I graduated from high school, and by February of 1999, when we first saw Animal Kingdom, it was already gone. It just wasn't really necessary. Yes, it's a huge park, but the areas where guests can walk are actually reasonably small. I definitely do much more walking trying to get around Epcot than Animal Kingdom. Try jogging from Spaceship Earth to the American Adventure to meet your party haha...did I mention this was August?

i know how you feel! hahah!

you guys are great, thanks for the links and the pics!:wave: dont you think that the empty cave and empty water is creepy? i do now. there maybe crocs's living in there. like the one in MK lol

I never went on the boat ride as I didn't go to DAK until 2003.

But when I was there last month, I saw this while I was on the bridge in between EE and the Nemo Musical:

WODSquadAKBoat.jpg

And, sadly this is one of the only boats left that are still running. Out of the 4 docked at AK, 2 are just being slowly stripped for spare parts to keep this one running which is the "Darting Drogonfly"

bigwoowoo248

I was there in February, 2000 and it was already gone by then, but I'd love to see a video of it someday. I realize it was considered dull, but being the Disney enthusiast I am, I always want to see everything...even if it was awful (ie. Lights, Motors, Action).
To add to CEO2020's list of dragon references, there is also a small waterfall shaped like a dragon (or maybe just an alligator) off to the right as you cross the bridge into Camp Minnie-Mickey. I love those kinds of details.

IDK what your talking Lights, Motors, Action is awesome.

CThaddeus

I can't take credit for this footage, but i thought you all might be interested, so ill pass the link along.

its understandable from this video why they would close this attraction. needless to say, the ride seems extremely boring. Enjoy!

part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5UqQVO2FCO0
part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=w8WhAD32efs

Thanks for the link...and I actually liked it. I equate it to the Magic Kingdom Railroad - giving a nice overview of the Park and even adding a few smaller animals for the guests to look at while on the boat. The boat could have been made a little quieter, and I suppose a few more exotic animals along the shores might have helped, but I wish they'd kept this attraction open. I'd go on it every time just for some of the views. It certainly does beat Bright Sunlight, Loud Motors, Incoherent Action!

SarahBella82

The boat was being used, at least last May, as a character boat. That is, characters loaded onto it and floated along the river, waving and playing music. I never road it "back in the day" when it was a ride, though.

hammysammy59

I feel like they could actually do a lot with that lake to bring back a worthwhile boat ride... just add some animatronic critters here and there (I'd love to see a couple loch ness monsters swimming around that big lake), a good ride system, etc. Sometimes I feel like Animal Kingdom is Missed Potential Kingdom. It's awesome, but until it gets more stuff, it's still totally a half-dayer to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom