The "off season" is a myth.

draybook

We waited 10 minutes for Peter Pan too...........at 10am. If you guys were "walking on" to rides in September then perhaps this year we'll tag along with you because we obviously weren't in the same park.

LivinwtheLand

I know there are slow DAYS here and there, but what people are saying is the slow SEASON is a thing of the past.

Some of the people commenting here go to the parks several times a month, and have done so for years.

The change in crowd levels at MK is obvious.

Exactly! There are slow days and slow hours here and there, but a definite span of time where MK is "slow" no longer exists.

BTW walked onto Kilimanjaro Safari @ AK last Sunday at 3pm. Today? 40 minute wait. The wait proved worthy though, the Lion was actually awake and had it's head up. 30 times on the ride, I finally know for sure the Lion is alive!

cheezbat

There is an off season...for the other three Disney parks. As for the MK, there's MAYBE two weeks there in September where it's slow. Every other visit I've made over the past number of years has been long waits all across the board.

It's sad, because there's obviously so much demand for the Magic Kingdom...and it's getting a much needed expansion, but if Disney wants to increase attendance at the resort they need to do two things: add more to the three other parks that really will make them worthwhile for people to spend more time there over MK, and continue to add more to the MK to do...because that park is nearing it's max numbers in attendance the way things are going.

Sarabell

we went sept 24 - 29 last year and it was great! we did HS in half a day, AK in hald a day and in MK we never waited more than 15 minutes for anything. Actually the only line where we waited at all was BTMR, everything else had little to no lines. From now on we´re only visiting in Sept.

BTW, we didn´t have park hoppers and just had 1 day for each park, so we skipped the parks that had EMH each day.

Rowdy

Plus, I think "off season" goes out the window while going during the weekend. No matter what theme park or amusement park I've been too, it's always busy on the weekend. No matter what time of the year.

Pete C

Plus, I think "off season" goes out the window while going during the weekend. No matter what theme park or amusement park I've been too, it's always busy on the weekend. No matter what time of the year.

I was just about to add this. You can't go on any weekend and expect light crowds. Monday and Friday will also still get you some "long-weekend" vacationers. However, if you go on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday while schools are in, chances are good that you will have very light days. MK is always going to have some crowd though, which is why it needs expansion the most.

Timekeeper

Methinks that "off season" is not a myth; it's relative.

You know, relative to this:

EPCOT_crowds.jpg

:cry:

Silver Figment

I don't know about off seasons anymore. I went January 10th to the 18th this year and the crowds were lighter than peak season, but still more crowded than i thought they'd be. MK was the most crowded by far though.

dizzney

We head down there next week a few days in advance of Presidents weekend and it will be crowded BUT the advantage it does have over our August trip is that the temperatures are not terrible. We wont be dealing with 95-100 degrees. :sohappy:

nc_disneyfreak

lol

I used to go in the offseason, "then I took an arrow to the knee."

love the skyrim ref..!!! my familys only trip was in april of 2010, with an upcoming trip april 28th to may 5th of this yr. What we found out was we were there during the cheer competetion!! i can honestly say it wasnt that bad. I think its a mindset thing. we went knowing it was disneyworld, we planned for a yr and used fast pass when necessary. HM was 25 min...space mtn fastpass, splash mtn 15 min wait...dumbo was about 45-50 min and that was the longest one....now i cant say for crazy summer, but between spring break and summer it seems pretty good..

MissMorrow

Yeah, there’s really no off season anymore. September is still the closest, relatively speaking. I’ve come to the conclusion that the two single best days to visit the MK are the days of Night of Joy, provided you leave by 5pm. Any special event days like that are generally “better.” The rest of the parks are hit or miss.

Kristan35

Methinks that "off season" is not a myth; it's relative.

You know, relative to this:

EPCOT_crowds.jpg

:cry:

Yikes! When is that?

We went December 5th-10th 2010 and the longest lines were for TSM and Soarin, of course. Other than that... we waited maybe 15 minutes for Space Mountain and 10 for Haunted Mansion. That kind of crowd level is fine for me!

We leave on Thursday and I have a feeling it's going to be more crowded than last time. Hopefully not too bad!

Disney Nut

We went the Sunday after thanksgiving for 8 days. All the parks were ghost towns until about Thursday. I've never seen it to empty. Longest wait was 10-15 min. But I do agree that the parks are getting busier overall. We have gone in Oct many years, and each year it has gotten more crowded.

This was taken at 10am
picture.php

Same Day taken at around 3pm
picture.php

flavious27

We went the Sunday after thanksgiving for 8 days. All the parks were ghost towns until about Thursday. I've never seen it to empty. Longest wait was 10-15 min. But I do agree that the parks are getting busier overall. We have gone in Oct many years, and each year it has gotten more crowded.

This was taken at 10am
picture.php

Same Day taken at around 3pm
picture.php

Looks like I know when to go now. Black friday shopping in DTD!

njBadLands

I think it is foolish to complain about crowds during "off season," as Disney is a business and WANTS these crowds.

I know from my experience I have gone during "off season" and found it VERY tolerable.

Case in point. I went to Universal Studios for a long weekend once over the week before Thanksgiving and it was VERY crowded. I also went to Universal during a high school spring break as a kid, also VERY crowded. I am bringing this park up because relative to Magic Kingdom they do not get near as large a crowd.

Now my last five Disney trips would be considered "off season."

Week before Christmas December 2007: VERY light. 20-30 minute wait tops at Space Mountain anytime of day. Typically walked right on to Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc.

March 2009, Second Week: A bit busier, mainly because some areas had their high school and/or college spring breaks. Was not a bother though, because as long as you utilize fast pass for the major attractions, you're fine. Again, Pirates and similiar attractions were walk on to 15 minute waits. At Hollywood Studios one night my wife and I rode Rock N Roller Coaster 3x in a row with <10 minute waits.

March 2010, Same week: See above

January 2011, Second Week: A little chillier than I would have liked,but again crowds were fine. Never felt shoulder to shoulder with people, many rides quick lines, and the big tickets either a) hit in the morning b) hit at night or c) use fast pass.

I think if you plan your day correctly, really not an issue.

I am leaving Friday for my first February trip. IF it is anything like these last four, I will be thrilled.:king:

Dukeblue1227

Quite true, especially when you are talking about MK. The slow season at MK was Left 4 Dead quite some time ago. Seems like it was almost Half a Life ago where you could got to WDW in January and almost have the place to yourself. Now a days you are lucky to make it out of the place Still Alive. You still see a value season drop in attendance at the other three parks but even that Aperture of hope is beginning to close.

I see what you did there....

Well done! :lol:

yensid67

Need Some OFF-SEASON Advice...

We are planning a trip to The World the first week of December. For the most part, everything I have read said that the weeks after Thanksgiving and up to the weeks before Christmas are one of the best times to go! Has anyone ever gone the first week in December? And what can we expect crowd-wise!?

Thanks Guys for all your replies, in advance!

NOTE: Please PM reply with your advice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom