The NEW Epcot

suzie_dee

Original Poster
I feel that Epcot has went down from where it was when they added Test Track and Mission Space. Has it went down or is it better?

Wannabe Walt

I think its better. I LOVE Mission Space. Test Track however needs something done with it, every time we ride it it breaks down right before we get on. Last time, we waited for almost 45 minutes for them to get one car off the track! My legs were WORN OUT! But I lived :lol:.

General Grizz

Depends...

When I listen to the new Epcot Entrance area music loop, it's much better.
When I look at Leave a Legacy, it's much worse.

When I experience Ellen's Energy Adventure, it's much better.
When I see Wonders of Life turned on, but closed to guests, it's much worse.

When I ride the 4 minute Mission Space ride, it's cool.
When I see families waiting outside of it because there's no great unique experience for them, it's not cool.

When I take a ride on Test Track, it's fun.
When I hear GM advertisements playing in the excuse for a post show, it's not.

When I ride Journey into Imagination with Figment it's much worse.
When I visit the ImageWorks, it's much worse. :lol:

When I realize the old Imagination upstairs is closed off, it's much worse
When I realize there's plenty of other room for conventions, Odyssey or World Showplace, it's much worse

Land: To Be Determined :D

When I step inside the Living Seas, I feel refreshed.
When I visit Crush at "Turtle Talk," Epcot's much better.

When I see a living Innoventions, Epcot is still thriving.

When I see the Flower and Garden Festival, Epcot is still thriving.

When I experience the World Showcase and Illuminations, Epcot is still thriving.

When I experience the Candlelight Processional, Epcot is still thriving.

Epcot at night is more beautiful than ever.

... so it really depends on what area one focuses on. :D

Wannabe Walt

I fully agree with the Imagination ones! I loved the ride in 2001, it was soooo cool. Then we went this time (2005) and Figment was there...it was AWEFUL!

Dr. Seeker

Agreed on Figment!!
I rode that and almost barfed. Just because it worked in the sixties doesn't mean it will work now. I think someone ought to scrap it completely, then use the stop and go ride system to make a variation on AE...perhaps a ride into the 5th dimension would be nice...or something like that...

Here is my take:

Mission:Space- IMO the best ride the mouse has to offer. The only aspect I don't like is the lack of immersivness of the pavilion itself. Pavilions like the Land or WOL allow you to soak up the theme while with space it's ride the ride, play a game, get you in the store than get you out.

Test track- Enjoyable ride and nice addition, but not worth all the break downs. I kinda like the post show, simple but nice.

SSE- I still love this ride but it needs a lengthy rehab to upgrade and enhance but not completely change plus we need a new global neighborhood

UOE- Was sceptical before I rode, much better than the original, like this attraction alot, dinos are classic Epcot

WOL- I think they can do better by starting over from scratch with something new

The land- In my opinion was near perfect before the rehab, so let's see after, i hate how the condition of our ecosystem has suddenly lost importance, they just better not change LWTL because that is one of my favorites, and with the attendance it gets why would they bother.

the Living Seas- Seriously lacking, but not to be fixed by a Nemo makeover. If nemo were in one wing perhaps, but not on the whole

Imagination- JIYI sucks, HISTA sucks, no dream works, need I say more.

Innoventions- Wasn't there last time, but sounds alright.

WS- Needs one or two more good attractions and maybe a supporting one or two but is marvelous all in all

Conclusion- Problem here is they replaced something they needed with something they needed. I feel WOM was expendable but not Horizons, not without a viable replacement. They needed thrill rides, but now are lacking good dark rides. The ones they have are good, but still feels like somethings missing.

The fix:

Here is what I would do to improve Epcot:

Rehab for SSE, improve but not replace

New diversion in place of Global neighborhood

WOL needs to be replaced with one of two things, either a weather pavilion with a spiderman like storm chaser ride or a new horizons dark ride even more spectacular than the original(room for both at epcot would be ideal, could just trash imagination)

A dark ride for the space pavillion would amazing, start with history of astonomy, get into astronomy and space travel ect

make TT stop breaking down

Do something with JIYI. either new dark ride or just do a launched coaster called brainstormers

Turn dream works into Muppet Labs with simular exhibits only with muppet AAs

New show for Hista building, it gettin old

Do something with living seas, bring back sea cabs or do a new one like original plan, and do something to add to the excitement of the pavilion, last trip I didn't more than 10 minutes

Build german boat ride and maybe one more other ride and a show for WS and it should be good

That's my 2 cents anyways

Ringo8n24

Grizz, I agree with everything you said. I especially thought about what you said about the families sitting outside of Mission Space. I am one of those who sits with the rest of the families waiting for other family members to come off the ride and there is more than usual who decide to wait it out instead of riding.

longfamily

I think that Epcot is still a wonderful place to visit. I would like it to go back to a prototype theme but I suppose that may be asking to much. Commercials for video games seems to be more important these days (sigh).
The only disappointment I have concerning future land is that some things need to be updated, but I think in time this will be taken care of. As disappointed some people are about JII, I like it. It is still fun and those people who never experienced the original will enjoy it as well. The lack of Dreamworks is the tragedy. There was no reason to discontinue this playground area, and the pavillion has suffered for it's loss.
World showcase is still fun, but I would like to see some more countries represented. I think it is time to start courting countries for this purpose.

That all being said, Epcot is still my favorite park:)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
EPCOT unfortunately had to conform to what the average theme park guest expects….thrill rides. While I do love the rides that they have added I really preferred the edutainment style dark rides of the past. Hopefully we will see a new Horizons style ride in the near future.

mkepcotmgmak

General Grizz said:
Depends...

When I listen to the new Epcot Entrance area music loop, it's much better.
When I look at Leave a Legacy, it's much worse.

When I experience Ellen's Energy Adventure, it's much better.
When I see Wonders of Life turned on, but closed to guests, it's much worse.

When I ride the 4 minute Mission Space ride, it's cool.
When I see families waiting outside of it because there's no great unique experience for them, it's not cool.

When I take a ride on Test Track, it's fun.
When I hear GM advertisements playing in the excuse for a post show, it's not.

When I ride Journey into Imagination with Figment it's much worse.
When I visit the ImageWorks, it's much worse. :lol:

When I realize the old Imagination upstairs is closed off, it's much worse
When I realize there's plenty of other room for conventions, Odyssey or World Showplace, it's much worse

Land: To Be Determined :D

When I step inside the Living Seas, I feel refreshed.
When I visit Crush at "Turtle Talk," Epcot's much better.

When I see a living Innoventions, Epcot is still thriving.

When I see the Flower and Garden Festival, Epcot is still thriving.

When I experience the World Showcase and Illuminations, Epcot is still thriving.

When I experience the Candlelight Processional, Epcot is still thriving.

Epcot at night is more beautiful than ever.

... so it really depends on what area one focuses on. :D

well put! except ellen's energy, i think it could be the attraction for families that are waiting on mission:space... it's a huge area, that honestly isn't 'family friendly', unless you are making your family friendlier, by everyone taking a nap... lol... :lookaroun

tigger248

Wannabe Walt said:
I fully agree with the Imagination ones! I loved the ride in 2001, it was soooo cool. Then we went this time (2005) and Figment was there...it was AWEFUL!

You are about the first person I've ever met who actually liked the ride after Dreamfinder was removed.

I loved the original ride, before the first rehab when Dreamfinder was replaced by Dr. Nigel Channing. Back when Figment was a figment of Dreamfinder's imagination and he helped to enhance the story. Before Figment became an annoying nuisance to Dr. Channing, as he is now perceived to be. Since JII became JIYI, it has become more and more painful for me to ride.

mkepcotmgmak

disneydisney said:
Soarin' will be great once it is added to Epcot. It will definately help Future World West.

i feel that epcot is going to have to change it's mission statement though.

future world is no longer 'educational' in a sense. mission:space, test track, and now soarin' are gonna be the main draws to this park, and there really isn't anything 'educational' about them. i feel like if they are going to put these e-tickets in the park, they are gonna have to spruce up attractions like HISTA, Living with the Land and Ellen's Energy... even SE (not redoing, just rehabbing.)

the thrill seekers have their fun, on great attractions, but the milder, and children that visit epcot, before venturing to movies in world showcase ( :snore: ) really have 'lame' rides. living with the land is not interesting for most children, and ellen barely holds my attention anymore. imagination is cute, but it's only one lame re-do out of several attractions. hista is good, for many, but it needs an update. all i'm saying is, epcot now has plenty for thrill seekers, so lets get a few more attractions that are family oriented, and well done. gut wonders of life, if you aren't going ot use it. make a huge kid's zone out of it, with boat rides/dark rides...

epcot also needs a flume/rafting ride somewhere, as well as mgm. a water ride is a great addition to any park, if done well, especially in teh summer! i bet if splash mountain had no themeing whatsoever, the lines would still be long.... look at kali... worked for them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
EPCOT Center = a unique themed park that required a bit of brain power an a willingness to listen

Epcot today = a park without a strong theme, at the moment lurching towards the lowest common denominator of (albeit very well executed) 5 minute shallow thrill rides.

Soarin` and M:S may be excellent attractions, but Futureworld needs more than these - think of SSE or Horizons in scale (and ride times) but implemented with todays technology in presentation and ride systems...

And all with a common theme.

tigger248

Master Yoda said:
EPCOT unfortunately had to conform to what the average theme park guest expects….thrill rides. While I do love the rides that they have added I really preferred the edutainment style dark rides of the past. Hopefully we will see a new Horizons style ride in the near future.

Agreed. I, too, miss the old EPCOT Center. I liked the education style rides. It was learning, without realizing it. EPCOT Center made kids want to learn, or at least it did me.

For example, I'd much prefer Horizons over MS. It was a nice dark ride, that families could enjoy together, that had some guest interaction, that could move a line quickly due to omnimover design, etc. Just one example of a great ride lost to a much shorter thrill ride.

I wish I could remember WoM, but sadly I only had the opportunity to ride it once, when I was five years old. Unfortunately, nearly 17 years has made it difficult for me to remember anything about it other than what I have seen in pictures.

General Grizz

mkepcotmgmak said:
well put! except ellen's energy, i think it could be the attraction for families that are waiting on mission:space... it's a huge area, that honestly isn't 'family friendly', unless you are making your family friendlier, by everyone taking a nap... lol... :lookaroun
Darn it, Josh, looks like Disney's gonna give you what you want. They're looking at TOTALLY redoing Energy.

I really like the ride. It's family friendly - but you have to be able to sit through it.

But Ellen and Bill make it all worth it - the comedy. And yet, everyone learns so much.

I agree that the ride should be made shorter (I would vote for a 29 minute attraction), but should still have the focus the current attraction has.

But I'm *really* going to miss the current versoin.

mkepcotmgmak

General Grizz said:
Darn it, Josh, looks like Disney's gonna give you what you want. They're looking at TOTALLY redoing Energy.

I really like the ride. It's family friendly - but you have to be able to sit through it.

But Ellen and Bill make it all worth it - the comedy. And yet, everyone learns so much.

I agree that the ride should be made shorter (I would vote for a 29 minute attraction), but should still have the focus the current attraction has.

But I'm *really* going to miss the current versoin.

WHOA! when did you find this out?
I agree that Ellen and Bill make the whole experience worthwile, but the comedy and footage is very outdated. The attraction itself needs to find a better way of keeping the audience's attention, because there is so much knowledge in the attraction! If they are gonna keep all the video footage, which there is WAY too much of, make it 3D, but i would love to see a theater room taken out, and replaced with more AAs, and redo the DINO room. that was my dad's fav. part of the original attraction. he said... IT EVEN SMELLED LIKE DINOSAURS IN THERE>.. to which i thought, riiiight, and you know what a brontosaurus smells like don't you! :lol:

General Grizz

3-D would be awesome, but I don't think Ellen and Bill would redo it. Something's telling me we're gonna get Pixar :)rolleyes: ), but that's pure speculation.

Read the newsbriefs from the you-know-what website. We posted this story several weeks ago.

(WDI was has already toured Energy and has done the same to WoL and SE)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom