The NEW Disney Decade???

JLW11Hi

Re: Main Street USA

Originally posted by kennyj29
I'm not trying to be disrespectful but I disagree with you. Disneyland started out as a family park. But a lot of it looked like regular theme parks. The bumper tube ride, miniature railroad, etc. They progressed which ALL the parks should. My point being, yes, they took dark rides out and replaced them with Hi Tech rides but they are magnificent. If you look many, many different aged people ride Test Track not M:S but that's one thing. MGM has two thrill rides. I honestly don't think that's taking away anything from the parks itself. Most of everything that Disney has is family oriented. You can't complain about a few Hi Tech rides going in. That really isn't fair. We all love the dark rides and I'm sure in the future Disney will be putting them in also but as of right now, they are putting in attractions that maybe geared more towards young adults, teens and even I'm 49 and I love what they are doing. That will stop eventually. When they want to replace a Hi Tech ride in the future they will probably start taking out the rides that are now there. They will have a sufficient amount of the Hi Tech ones that they will be the ones that are replaced. The only reason they are taking out dark rides is because that's all they had in those parks. You have to take them out to replace them with other things. In the future it will change again but as for right now? Just go with it.

I'm not sure if this was in response to me or not, but that was pretty much exactly what I was trying to say....lol, I have trouble getting my opinions across sometimes...:)

Yes, I guess I meant that once Disney replaces the older dark rides with the newer thrill rides, then they can get back to making dark rides.

kennyj29

JL11

It wasn't in response to you if was for Main Street. And Main Street, there I have to agree with you 100%. The STORY is a huge factor in any Disney Park. And I also would love to see a few more dark rides. I honestly feel if things picked up, they would start doing more for the parks. The deal they just had was a GREAT way to start. Now I hope that deals continues for awhile.!!!!!

pjammer

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
I defenetly agree here. I think that now is the time for Epcot to bite the bullet and churn out some real eye popping, yet STILL tied to themes, thrill attractions. This way the thrill seeker/adrenaline driven types of people (mostly teens) will stop comming out of Epcot going, "well that sucked".

For every teen I coming off Spaceship Earth saying that it sucks...their are two more people coming off that says how good it was. And the age range for that is much more diverse than the age range that thinks it sucks. So destroy Spaceship Earth just to cater to a specific age range. If their is anything at Epcot that teens are going to all think that sucks is Living with the Land. If your a teenager and on vacation, why would you want to sit through a thirty min agrigulture lesson. Sure Spaceship Earth is a fifteen min communication lesson but they tell such a great story that you are able to overlook it.

Anyways Epcot has just as many thrill rides as MGM and Magic Kingdom(assuming we count Mission Space). And they have more than Animal Kingdom. I enjoy Epcot for its beauty and serenity. And if its full of a bunch of "thrill seeking" teenagers then I might as well be walking around at Universal. And from the cast member perspective, those thrill seeking teenagers are a pain in the butt. I much rather deal with a unhappy family than a bunch of teenagers I have no control over b/c they have no parents with them.

Plus its obvious that Epcot's family atmosphere tatic is doing better than MGM's thrill ride tatic by comparing attendance. Epcot has a higher attenadance even though it lacks the thrill rides MGM has. Epcot doesn't even have a true rollercoaster, because I don't consider Test Track a rollercoaster. If its not broken, why fix it. Epcot is doing just fine without the alot a thrill rides so why tear down one of its only dark rides to build a new thrill ride. And I wouldn't want to risk a total rehab of Spaceship Earth to another dark ride. We all saw what happen to Journey into the Imagination. Why take the risk? Spaceship Earth can still match the attendance of all the other "popular" (if you judge popularity by wait time) rides at WDW. I'll admit it needs a slight rehab, maybe changing the ending again to reflect the changing times, but not a total rehab. Spaceship Earth or Epcot for that matter is not broken. Anyways I just had to put my two cents in.

kennyj29

First of all, I'm FAR from a teenager and I get off saying it sucks also. I'm tired of it! Get something totally new and different in there. I know a lot of people go to Epcot but I honestly feel its for the countries, the restaurants and illuminations. It's certainly not for Future World. The whole right side of future world is empty. and the Missions Space side is full. Between M:S and Test track, that the side you see people at. Don't say it's all teenagers, because it's not. There are plenty of older people on it also. So stop always blaming teens because if you look hard enough, it's not just them.

mac388

Disney Decade???

Where to start?
I was watching a DisneyWorld documentary on A&E or Travel Channel or something like that a few months ago, and I remember a scene where Michael Eisner was in his early years of being CEO and declared that the 90's would be the "Disney Decade." While I know Disney went through some remarkable growth and changes, I didn't even realize that it WAS a Disney Decade until I looked back on it. I really, really am hoping that Disney can bounce back in all areas-ABC, Animation, Theme Parks, etc. From when I did my first internship through the College Program in 1999 to my Advanced Internship in 2002, you could feel the difference in atmosphere. While I think that Disney has a lot to work on and improve upon, there are some things that are out of their control (i.e. any number of current events). I think it's going to be another few years before Disney and the economy can fully rebound or at least start to repair itself. In the meantime, I'll still keep going down to Florida.
Also, I happen to like Spaceship Earth, but I'm a sucker for tradition. However, I do feel that EPCOT needs some improvement.
This may sound overly cheesy, but as a resident of NYC, I am grateful that I can visit a magical place in Florida that is clean and safe.

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
My sister (15) loves SE but i cant stand it...if the seats were more comfortable i would try to sleep on it...the best part is the very end when u are going backward and see the "latest" technologies

Jusjuice

I'm a teen..........I love roller coasters and thrill rides.......but I must say I like Spaceship Earth better than Test Track. I guess there's something wrong with me.
Anyway, I think Thrill Rides are a great addition to Epcot, but I don't think they need to replace Classic Dark rides with them. Think how cool Epcot would be with The world of Motion, Test Track next Door, Horizons, and Mission: Space. I just don't understand why they have stopped building high-quality dark rides like those in the past 10 years.

Snapper Bean

Originally posted by Jusjuice
I'm a teen..........I love roller coasters and thrill rides.......but I must say I like Spaceship Earth better than Test Track. I guess there's something wrong with me.
Anyway, I think Thrill Rides are a great addition to Epcot, but I don't think they need to replace Classic Dark rides with them. Think how cool Epcot would be with The world of Motion, Test Track next Door, Horizons, and Mission: Space. I just don't understand why they have stopped building high-quality dark rides like those in the past 10 years.

Well said. I really do miss the old dark rides. I believe there is a poster here (Grizzly Hall perhaps?) who has said that there was a way to do Test Track (or most of it) while preserving World of Motion which to me would have been the ultimate. I'm starting to guess that Dark Rides really only get built when a park first opens. After that, its either kids rids (because they are relatively cheap) or thrill rides (because they are the ones that they can market a "you need to visit again" type campaign around).

Bayou_Tigerfan

The whole right side of future world is empty. and the Missions Space side is full. Between M:S and Test track, that the side you see people at. Don't say it's all teenagers, because it's not. There are plenty of older people on it also. So stop always blaming teens because if you look hard enough, it's not just them.

Right on, Kenny. My 55 year old father in law couldn't get enough of Test Track, and my MIL enjoyed it as well.

pjammer

I know a lot of people go to Epcot but I honestly feel its for the countries, the restaurants and illuminations. It's certainly not for Future World. The whole right side of future world is empty. and the Missions Space side is full. Between M:S and Test track, that the side you see people at. Don't say it's all teenagers, because it's not. There are plenty of older people on it also. So stop always blaming teens because if you look hard enough, it's not just them.

Well MGM is pretty much the same way. Sunset Blvd is packed while if you go towards the other side its empty. Past the GMR the park is dead. People only go to MGM for ToT and RnR. Why shouldn't we tear it apart and build new rides in it. It less popular than Epcot (according to attendance). I just feel that the problem isn't in Epcot at all. Sure people come for the countries but when they realize that most of the countries are giant billboard merchandise shops they discover how great FW is.

And you can't argue with the fact that majority of the people that come off Spaceship Earth saying it sucks are the teens. They are also the ones that are pushing to go onto the thrill rides. Sure mom and dad like it also but the teens are going to be the most vocal about what sucks and what doesn't. Some parents are glad to go on a slow dark ride to get a break. To sit down for 15 min are relax, plus not waiting in lines and listening to complaining must feel good. Changing Spaceship Earth to a thrill ride would be like changing GMR into a thrill ride. Spaceship Earth is the only interesting thing in FW you can sit down, relax, and enjoy the scenery. If you take that only haven away, then your left with nothing. Im not saying teen are the only ones but they are the driving force. Yes you see a mixture of age ranges at Disney, but you really don't see that at Universal. I was just their yesterday and it was all mostly 10-25. Yeah you had some parents their but two parents for 3 or 4 kids plus all the local kids without parents it was a mess. If it wheren't mostly teens wanting the thrill rides then i would expect more stroller families with grandma and grandpa around. But you didn't see that. Disney draws most of their audience from the family. And when you start destroying family rides for thrill rides you are isolating your major demographic. Destroy Spaceship Earth for a thrill ride then your left with only three family rides in FW.

Living With the Land - yeah if your kid wants to grow up and be a farmer.

Journey into the Imagination - If most people knew it was their. But the entrance is so hidden to the normal guest and overshadowed by the popularity of HISTA that many people forget about it

Ellen's Energy Adventure - As much as I like that ride, I would hate for it to be the only ride that the whole family could enjoy.

Spaceship Earth is vital to the whole family theme of Disney. Its not a long ride like NRG but its not to educational like Living With The Land. It has the perfect balance to go with the Epcot and Disney theme. Educational but fun for the WHOLE family.

VacationMan

DISNEY HAS A HORRIBLE RECORD OF RE-IMAGINEERING RIDES.

Boy, this is a Pain. Epcot has all sorts of room available... yet why take down spaceship earth. Disney needs all the "ride capacity" they can get, and SE is completely unique! This is a "classic" Disney Dark Ride.

I'd venture to guess that the costs of "saving" the sphere for the new ride, far outweigh the costs of building a now show building from the ground up. Needless to say the costs of riping out the existing infrastructure and bringing it out the sphere while keeping all intact....

I agree, keep the "family" concept of EPCOT going... and leave SE alone....

FYI: Rumor mill has it that an additional show building is being planned for THE LAND, and that a "california soaring" ride, identical to California Adventure is going to be installed. The only downside I've heard, is that execs actually expect to re-use the existing movie of California! (That has to be a simply WRONG old thread on the subject I read... to stupid to belive, but relayed here).

Dayma

If I hear one more person make it sound like SSE rehab is the way to save Disney I am going to scream. There are so many other rides that need updating...cough cough....Body Wars and the whole pavillion.

WDW has a nice mix of ride now. This is not their problem. The problem is their lack of global advertising. They depend way to much on "tradition". They need to advertise during the Super Bowl the new rides and what families and teens can do.

kennyj29

SE

First of all, it's not a definite that SE will be a thrill ride. I had also heard about some sort of movie. So let's not get crazy hear. Also, it is the MOST uncomfortable ride in the whole "world". I hate the way I feel when I'm riding it. The smoke smell makes me sick also. Because I don't like it, i'm not expecting everyone to feel the same. But as far as it goes, it's time is up. Changing SE is just a beginning. I agree WOL should be the first to go but I hear once M:S is open, the doors will be closed on WOL. From what I hear also, they don't plan to do anything with it. Which to me doesn't make sense. Change it, make it a sitting area if you have to but don't just close it and leave it empty. From the changes they've made so far in Epcot, I think it's good. I have no problems if they used SE for another dark ride or WOL for a dark ride. Just change it. Hopefully they make "Soarin" on the other side to bring some people back to it.

cookiee_munster

i think all SE needs is something reflections of earth has... emotion, that show made me gob smacked and gave me shivers right up my back... SE needs something like that, that touches people in the same way instead of them commenting about the speed of the ride or the creekyness off the veichles...

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by pjammer
Well MGM is pretty much the same way. Sunset Blvd is packed while if you go towards the other side its empty. Past the GMR the park is dead. People only go to MGM for ToT and RnR. Why shouldn't we tear it apart and build new rides in it. It less popular than Epcot (according to attendance).

That really surprises me, because I think MGM has more to offer than TOT and RnR. From what I see at the park, people love Muppets 3D, the Indy Stunt Show, Millionaire, and occasionally GMR and Star Tours, though the simulator is getting kinda old. The studio tour is ok, too, at least if its the first time you're riding it.

And if you go for the whole "show style" attractions, MGM has plenty of them. Plus the park has all those great street entertainers that pop out of nowhere.

Personally, I could go to MGM and ride RnR and TOT and the other rides over and over again, but I can only do attractions like Spaceship Earth or Universe of Energy once before it loses its freshness and uniqueness. THere's nothing wrong with those types of attractions, mind you, I just think Epcot could use a few more "hop on and off as many times as you want" style rides. Test Track is a ride like that, but the perfect "E Ticket" ride to use as an example of this would be like Space Mountain or Splash Mountain.

cookiee_munster

I think the tree idea in Project Gemini is an really great idea. If you think about it, modern times are now becoming involved with nature so that new innovative/modern buildings also compliment the land, that's the next step forward. Its just a way of showing that we are now starting to worry about future developments of the land and how we've almost scorched it in a way, so instead of chopping down every single tree that is in the area of our newly proposed buildings we instead work with nature to bring out a new/clean and modern look in society.:)

Dayma

I think the tree idea in Project Gemini is an really great idea. If you think about it, modern times are now becoming involved with nature so that new innovative/modern buildings also compliment the land

I agree. This would also make the park feel "warmer" and more comforting to the guests.

niteobsrvr

Original Poster
Originally posted by cookiee_munster
I think the tree idea in Project Gemini is an really great idea. If you think about it, modern times are now becoming involved with nature so that new innovative/modern buildings also compliment the land, that's the next step forward. Its just a way of showing that we are now starting to worry about future developments of the land and how we've almost scorched it in a way, so instead of chopping down every single tree that is in the area of our newly proposed buildings we instead work with nature to bring out a new/clean and modern look in society.:)

Yep, the 1970's version of the future is a lot different in this respect that the current version. Sleek concrete buildings and walkways whose shade is provided by canvas like materials strung from cables have given way to much more aesthetically pleasing architecture. Why imitate what nature can already do better when it comes to providing shade and natural cooling?

In keeping with Walts comments that EPCOT would be forever changing, I think he would be ecstatic to see that our view has changed into somehting more environmentally friendly. Afterall, He was a great lover of nature as well as the future.

secretsquirrel

New Disney Decade..

The NEW DISNEY DECADE will need to be led by the film disney has and will create. It has lived and died by the success of its films and will continue to do so. The problem is that competition and contract status will affect the success of Disney films, hence the success of the parks. Pixar will want big $$ for a new deal to create Disney/Pixar films, but its worth it as the successful one's lead to new attractions and increased intrest in Disney by those 13 yrs old and up. All you have to do is go back to the days of movies like Cinderella, Apple Dumpling Gang and others to see how those films impacted the parks. New films like Pirates of the Carribean and Haunted Mansion (Nov. Release) are just what it needs to get the so-called target audience interested in the Disney name and attractions. What I would like to see is the fast improvement of the attractions associated with these films before hand. I love Pirates of the Carribean attraction, but the animatronics need to be updated along with other entertaining aspects of the ride. Ditto the Haunted Mansion. The movie will be a great special effect comedy, but after watching the special effects one may be disappointed to see the OLD special effects in the Haunted Mansion attraction that have been there for years.
Disney success films = theme park success. They are called Theme Parks for a reason. As the film success increases, the stock price will increase because disney co. as a whole has alot of its cash riding on the parks success. More cash = better improvements and leverage to develop new attractions.

Testtrack321

Something people needs to remember is this:

thrill rides don't just appeal to teens

What families in the 50's or 70's liked was tottally different than now. And Walt knew it was changing, that's why Future Port (now Space Mountain) and the Matterhorn were created. Today's families like thrill rides the same if not more than the traditional slow ride.

And frankly, wasn't Petter Pan's flight a 'thrill' back in the day?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom