The Musical Fifth Gate WDW Open Brainstorm

orlando678-

Original Poster
Although the talk about a fifth theme park at the Walt Disney World Resort has been become a cliché in the Imagineering forums over time, talks about one have not become less interesting. Many believe that Walt Disney World Resort doesn't need one, and particularly needs to focus on expanding its current parks, but that doesn't mean speculating about the possibilities of ever seeing a new theme park. The usual themes that are thrown around are a villains or a heroes vs villains park, a theme park around legends and myths and a copy of disneysea at Tokyo Disney resort. Recently, while watching some documentaries and animal kingdom design videos, I noticed Michael Eisner say that when the fourth gate was coming to Walt Disney World, they had a few concepts to choose from when it comes to themes for this new park. (have actually been trying to find the video so I can show you, but with no luck up till now :/) Apparently, the last and main competing themes were animals or.....music! And actually, lately I have become more and more intrigued by the idea, because it sort of goes naturally with the other parks' themes:

Magic Kingdom - Stories, fantasy
Disney's Epcot - Innovation and Showcase
Disney's Hollywood Studios - Movies/Studios
Disney's Animal Kingdom - Animals/nature
Disney's (Add music-related theme park name) - Music

It might be a concept that never sees the light of day, but I really imagine it as a park with opportunities, but I need some help and I also thought it would be fun to try and get to a more concrete vision of what a music-themed park could be like. Besides already existing rides like Mickey's Philharmagic and Rock 'N' Rollercoaster possibly finding a new home in this park, there could be many other amazing rides, shows, dining experiences and shops related to music. Personally, I thought about something like a world of music, as immersive as Disney's Animal Kingdom, but more similar in style of Silly Symphonies' Music Land short. Not necessarily that the whole park has to be made out of musical instruments, but it's just something that I would feel like a cool experience and theme to work around. Besides I feel like Disney could even throw music-related IP like Fantasia(reviving some of those Beastly Kingdom ideas), The Three Caballeros or the Aristocats would be an interesting options. They could even take revolutionary steps in expanding short stories like Peter and the Wolf or Mickey and the Beanstalk and really offer an unique experience of storytelling through the focus on the music itself. And all this because Music would not only be a universal theme, but also something that is very close to Disney as a company, because music is often key in its films and parks, so they would probably relate with the theme and really make it its own. So I would really love to see how you guys feel about a music themed gate and if you guys are open to an open brainstorm in which we could lay down the potential of such a theme park!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Although the talk about a fifth theme park at the Walt Disney World Resort has been become a cliché in the Imagineering forums over time, talks about one have not become less interesting. Many believe that Walt Disney World Resort doesn't need one, and particularly needs to focus on expanding its current parks, but that doesn't mean speculating about the possibilities of ever seeing a new theme park. The usual themes that are thrown around are a villains or a heroes vs villains park, a theme park around legends and myths and a copy of disneysea at Tokyo Disney resort. Recently, while watching some documentaries and animal kingdom design videos, I noticed Michael Eisner say that when the fourth gate was coming to Walt Disney World, they had a few concepts to choose from when it comes to themes for this new park. (have actually been trying to find the video so I can show you, but with no luck up till now :/) Apparently, the last and main competing themes were animals or.....music! And actually, lately I have become more and more intrigued by the idea, because it sort of goes naturally with the other parks' themes:

Magic Kingdom - Stories, fantasy
Disney's Epcot - Innovation and Showcase
Disney's Hollywood Studios - Movies/Studios
Disney's Animal Kingdom - Animals/nature
Disney's (Add music-related theme park name) - Music

It might be a concept that never sees the light of day, but I really imagine it as a park with opportunities, but I need some help and I also thought it would be fun to try and get to a more concrete vision of what a music-themed park could be like. Besides already existing rides like Mickey's Philharmagic and Rock 'N' Rollercoaster possibly finding a new home in this park, there could be many other amazing rides, shows, dining experiences and shops related to music. Personally, I thought about something like a world of music, as immersive as Disney's Animal Kingdom, but more similar in style of Silly Symphonies' Music Land short. Not necessarily that the whole park has to be made out of musical instruments, but it's just something that I would feel like a cool experience and theme to work around. Besides I feel like Disney could even throw music-related IP like Fantasia(reviving some of those Beastly Kingdom ideas), The Three Caballeros or the Aristocats would be an interesting options. They could even take revolutionary steps in expanding short stories like Peter and the Wolf or Mickey and the Beanstalk and really offer an unique experience of storytelling through the focus on the music itself. And all this because Music would not only be a universal theme, but also something that is very close to Disney as a company, because music is often key in its films and parks, so they would probably relate with the theme and really make it its own. So I would really love to see how you guys feel about a music themed gate and if you guys are open to an open brainstorm in which we could lay down the potential of such a theme park!

Off to a fantastic start! The premise seems potentially slightly limiting, but also very intriguing. Can't wait to see this develop

mickeyfan5534

Off to a fantastic start! The premise seems potentially slightly limiting, but also very intriguing. Can't wait to see this develop
I think there’s a lot to be done with lands and original IPs within. You can organize it by musical or do a sort of timeline of music. A ride of history through music would be a neat thesis statement for the park

orlando678-

Original Poster
Its great to see that people are excited about the idea! I think there are several things we need to figure out during the brainstorm..
- what would the parks name be?
- what themed areas would the park have? This is something that could take different routes, we could base the "lands" on types of music, stories related to music, places related to music or something completely new for this park specifically.
- what stories or IP could we use in the park?
I think it would be cool if the park's icons or focus would be the Music Land islands somewhere in a central position of the park. It could feature some rides or just be a walk around area like discovery island. Just imagine this having the nighttime spectacular with a musical clash of styles. Other stories that are somewhat related to music are the aristocats, the three caballeros and mickey and the beanstalk. Other IP in which music plays a key role in the story or somewhat tells a large part of the story are Princess and the Frog and even Guardians of the Galaxy( I could imagine a cool disco themed ride, but it just depends on what the limit of a music themed park would be).
-what type of attractions can we find in this park?
Every park needs a healthy variety of types of attractions and a park with such a general and universal theme as music is certainly no exception. That means that this is not going to be a coaster park nor a kiddie park, but where anyone of any age can find something they will enjoy. Also, we will have to take a look at types of rides and attractions,especially with recent and future developments of ride systems. How could this park stand out? Futuristic ride technology and groundbreaking experiences for its guests.

orlando678-

Original Poster
So I think we're in need of ideas and therefore, I had made a draft and brainstorm list of ideas that could be included in the park.

So for lands I quickly wrote down:

Fantasia Gardens: A land inspired by the mythology and sounds of Disney's Fantasia(1940) and Fantasia 2000(1999), somewhat inspired by Beastly Kingdom, the unbuilt land for Disney's Animal Kingdom.
-
Fantasia Gondoletta or Fantasia: A Musical Voyage: A boat ride similar to the one that was supposed to be build at Disney's Animal Kingdom for Beastly Kingdom. During the ride Guests would enjoy musical segments from the Fantasia films and pass by show scenes and water fountains based on the various scenes of the movies. To expand on the idea, we could make it a sort of Splash Mountain type of ride.
- The Pines of Rome: This could be a very cool simulator experience based on the Flying whales from Fantasia 2000. I imagine a very smooth ride with the vehicles moving along to the Pines of Rome piece.

- The Chinese Dance: A spinner flat ride based on the dancing mushroom scene from Fantasia in which Guests board vehicles themed as mushrooms and then dance to various songs of the flower segment. It could be a trackless ride with various shows like Luigi's Festival della Tires, but something more simple, yet themed right could work as well.

- Pegasus' Flight: A spinner ride based on Pegasus' family from Fantasia. Guests would board carriages held by one of Pegasus' children and fly around a Pegasus nest.
- The Firebird: A mountain coaster themed to the Firebird segment from Fantasia 2000. It would be Matterhorn Bobsleds meets Expedition Everest but with new technology and features the Green Sprite and the massive Firebird(I could only imagine how amazing an impressive indoor scene featuring the Firebird would be).

Disco District: A land inspired by disco music, imagine a high-paced city-like square with disco clubs and a lot of disco lights and balls spinning around, reflecting the area.(I know it sounds cheesy, but it's just a first draft)
- Disco Ball Groove: Some kind of indoor flat thrill ride based on Disco Balls. The lights and the sounds would take you on an out-of-this-world groove.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Galactic Groove: Idk, it could work as some kind of thrill ride featuring all the 70s 80s songs that are popular from Starlord's mixtape.

Rock 'N' Roll Road: A land inspired by Rock 'N' Roll music and roadside culture, possibly featuring giant guitars rocking the area with sound.
- Rock 'N' Rollercoaster: Although the ride already exists at Disney's Hollywood Studios, it could easily move here and fits the land perfectly. It could fix some of the problem the ride faces, thematically and technologically. I imagine a more general rock n rollercoaster than the existing one with a randomized system of musical artists and songs(possibly even randomized tracks, based on the song you get during the ride?). It would also fix the thematic interruption on Sunset Boulevard, leaving space for a new land or ride for the Studios.
- Radio Dragster Race: Although bikes would better fit the Rock N Roll theme, I feel like it could be cool to have a more Radiator Springs -type of ride in which special cars race on rock n roll music. Possibly even making it a bit sci-fi like, making it more 50s like.
Music Land: Possibly the central land of the park, based on the 1935 Silly Symphonies short Music Land. Walk around this highly immersive area and it could even serve as a nighttime spectacular, based on the war between The Isle of Jazz and The Land of Symphony featuring a lot of sound, fireworks, moving sets and water effects.
- War of Music Land: An interactive attraction where Guests choose the side of either the Isle of Jazz or the Land of Symphony and use instruments and sounds to battle the other.
- The story of Music Land: A boat ride revolving around the story of the Silly Symphonies short. I imagine a cool section based on the Sea of Discord in which Guests might get soaked.
- Land of Symphony Waltz: A trackless spinner ride inside the ballroom of the Land of Symphony. Vehicles would dance or waltz on classical music pieces.

Blues Bayou: A smaller land based on the jazz and blues culture of the south, think New Orleans but with a focus on its music and rhythm. It could be a bit like New Orleans Square, possibly making it more fictional with buildings themed or decorated with musical instruments.
- Princess and the Frog: A dark ride, either similar to Na'vi River Journey or the system from Battle for the Sunken Treasure at Shanghai Disneyland through various scenes from the movie, focusing on its soundtrack and the music culture of New Orleans.
- Song of the South: I know we have Splash Mountain at Disney's Magic Kingdom, but just imagine beyond reality. The story is very musical and even the ride itself is somewhat a cruise through a musical critter land. And... it could sort of fix the clash of Wild West reality and the jolly cartoon-ish rides of Country Bear Jamboree and Splash Mountain sort of making the land a mish-mash of everything American and wild west. Maybe this new version could be a lot different, like on a scale of Dudley Do-Right or the technology of Chiapas at Phantasialand, Germany.

A Country-themed land: Country is a big genre in the music world and opens up possibilities of including a sort of Frontierland in this park.
- A Country Bear coaster or water ride: Again, like said before with Splash Mountain. Removing Country Bear Jamboree to a park based on music, supports this park's theme and could give Disney the opportunity to re-think Frontierland at the Magic Kingdom, be focusing on Wild West legends or more realistic stories. This musical ride would feature the whole bear bunch and a joyful soundtrack based on Country music.
- Banjo Mine Cars: Think Seven Dwarfs Mine Train but with single carts and a more thrilling experience around something like Banjo Hills. I imagine a rickety mine cart ride on the country banjo music, in and out of the mountainous area.
- A wild west wagon spinner: Think Mater's Junkyard Jamboree or Woody's Roundup at Shanghai Disneyland in which Guests board Conestoga wagons held by horse figures and spin around on country songs, whipping the Guests around the ride space.

Calypso Coast: A south American themed land based on Caribbean and Latin American types of music. This coastal area could be very beachy and offer a more Adventureland-type tropical hideaway for the park.
- A Three Caballeros ride: They could really work out a Three Caballeros dark ride based on Latin American music and especially if Disney decides to change the current ride at Epcot into Coco, it would still be fun to have their presence somewhere. I really like this franchise for the park as Saludos Amigos and the Three Caballeros movies really focus on music and really build visuals on the music.

- Maraccas River Rapids: A river rapids ride based on Caribbean music and its tropical sound. I imagine waterfalls and giant Maraccas shaking and soaking Guests.

Bald Valley: A land inspired by Fantasia's Night on Bald Mountain. Although we have Fantasia Gardens, we could really expand on this segment and make it either a villains land or a music themed land based on shorts or music pieces like Beethovens symphony and Skeleton Dance, Mad Doctor or A Haunted House.
- Night on Bald Mountain: I imagine either a boat ride similar to Jurassic River Adventure with a big finale featuring Chernabog and a final drop into a lagoon or a mountain coaster, although I kind of have a preference for the water ride.

Chanty Cove: A land inspired by the songs of the seas. It could be inspired by the tales of Moby Dick and Willie the Whale from Make Mine Music.
- Battle for the Blue: A soaker battle ride featuring mythological sea creatures like sea serpents and mermaids, which Guest can shoot water at(or at other boats) to activate effects. It could also be a bit like Aquatopia with its trackless boat system.

A Fantasy type land or characters land: This is the area where we could experience stories like Peter and the Wolf, Bambi, Mother Goose, Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom or whatever, but with a focus on its soundtrack and the fact that a lot of the scenes are either based on or very close to its soundtrack or musical piece.
- Mickey's Philharmagic: This could be moved from Magic Kingdom, leaving a new space for a new ride there, and could be re-imagined for this park. The ride screams music and therefore truly belongs here. It could be an opportunity to introduce a randomized system with new scenes like Bear Necessities, Friend Like Me, Under the Sea and Let It Go.
- The Band Concert: A spinner similar to the flying carousel from Disney's California Adventure, Silly Symphony Swings, based on the Mickey Mouse short.
- Mickey and the Beanstalk: The story revolves around the impact of the singing Gold Harp and a ride like this could really focus on that aspect of the story. I imagine something like more worked out version of the Puss In Boots ride at Universal Studios Singapore.

- Peter and the Wolf: A dark ride similar to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, focusing on how music visualized this story and animated segment.

Other general attraction ideas:
- A Classical Musical Mountain Coaster: Idk I read an idea once about a Mount Rushmore type of mountain range with classic composers as Guests race around the mountains on classical music pieces.
- A signature music ride for the park: A vague image appears in my head when I think of a music theme park, a large opera house hosting The Great Movie Ride of Music. It could either be a dark ride or a movie experience. I imagine something like the more abstract scenes from Fantasia where the sound takes over and color and image are brought to a minimal level to intensify the feeling of the sound.
- Something related to the glamorous 20s, although this might be more for Hollywood Studios.

Other movies or properties that could be used, just a direct thought of a list:
- Make Mine Music(The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the MET, Blue Bayou, All the Cats Join In, After You've Gone)
- The Aristocats
- Coco
- Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom
- Ludwig von Drake's A Symposium on Popular Songs
- Flowers and Trees
- The Ugly Duckling
- The Three Little Pigs
- Melody Time( Pecos Bill, Little Toot, Blame it on the Samba)
- Hercules(It doesn't have a direct connection to music and a Hercules ride in a new Greece pavilion at Epcot would be amazing, but the soundtrack of the movie and the way in which music tells the story. Especially the more gospel-style aspect of that would be fun to work with.)
- The Old Mill
- Farmyard Symphony
- Old McDonalds Farm

We could combine the last three and make something like a meadows/farm type of area

For a parade, I'd imagine something along the lines of Soundsational Parade, but more worked out, no cheap interval floats with minimal theming, these sections felt a bit awkward at the current version.

For a nighttime show I'd either imagine a battle between the sections of Music Land on grander scale, a more general show featuring fountains, color and fireworks dancing to different types of music, somewhat similar to World of Color or Aquanura at the Efteling in the Netherlands or a more Disney involved show celebrating Disney music and music in general, possibly including a climax featuring Ursula stealing the sound, similar to what she did with Ariel's voice in the original Little Mermaid movie.

Lastly on the topic of names for the park, I feel like Kingdom of Symphonies, Musical Kingdom or Music Kingdom would be fine, but simple like Animal and Magic Kingdom. Not that every WDW park needs the inclusion of Kingdom in its name, but its sort of a nice line-up if it fits well with a general theme.

So what do you guys think? Opinions on my ideas? Or ideas of your own? I really see a lot of potential in this!

orlando678-

Original Poster
Seeing Fantasia as a big theme of the park is a nice glue to hold it together. I suggest a musically themed park-wide transportation.
I share that idea, Fantasia really captures music as an abstract idea to visualize around and I think a music themed park should try and aim to do the same. On the topic of the park-wide transportation, would you have any suggestions?? Can't really think of anything connected to music and transport that could subtly travel through or past several lands of the park.

orlando678-

Original Poster
Okay this is my second quick draft for now:

Fantasia Gardens

Attractions:

- Fantasia Gondoletta

- The Pines of Rome

- The Chinese Dance

- Pegasus’ Flight

- The Firebird

Dining:

- The Concert Hall

- Bacchus’ Winery and Mediterranean Bites

- Jaccus’ Fruit Cart

- Sugar Plum Ice Cream Parlor

Shops:

- Nutcracker Sweets

- Dance of the Hours

- The Steadfast Tin Soldier

- Toccata and Fugue

- Carnation Gardens

Entertainment:

Disco District

Attractions:

- Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Galactic Groove

- Glitter Ball Boogie

Dining:

Shops:

Entertainment:

Rock ‘N’ Roll Road

Attractions:

- Rock ‘N’ Rollercoaster

- Radio Roadster Race

Dining:

- Hard Rock Café

- Malt Shop (a diner featured in All the Cats Join In from Make Mine Music(1946))

Shops:

Entertainment:

Country Corner

Attractions:

- Western Wagon Jamboree

- Country Bear River Adventure

- Banjo Hills Runaway Mine Cars

Dining:

Shops:

Entertainment:

Shanty Shore

Attractions:

- Battle for the Blue

- Pirates of the Caribbean: Revenge of the Sirens(Pirates at the magic kingdom is an inferior version, without it they could make way for a new e-ticket for Adventureland, while the music fifth gate would receive a ride similar to Shanghai's version, but focusing on the mermaids from the franchise)

- Treasure Island (a walk-around island with various explorable areas)

Dining:

- Willie’s Music Hall

- Fathoms Below(based on the song from The Little Mermaid)

Shops:

Entertainment:

Calypso Coast

Attractions:

- The Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros

- Maracas Falls

Dining:

Shops:

Entertainment:

Music Land

Attractions:

- The Tale of Music Land

- Waltz of Symphonies

- The Brass Splash Soak Area (simple soak station)

Dining:

Shops:

Entertainment:

- War of Music Land

Blues Bayou

Attractions:

- The Princess and the Frog

- Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah River Run

Dining:

- Rhapsody in Brew(based on Fantasia's Rhapsody in Blue)

- Scat Cat’s Jazz Club (based on the Aristocats)

- Blue Bayou Restaurant (based on the Blue Bayou segment from Make Mine Music)

Shops:

Entertainment:

Bald Valley

Attractions:

- Night on Bald Mountain

- The Haunted House (based on Skeleton Dance, Haunted House, Hell's Bells etc.)

- Mad Doctor’s Machine (coaster or madhouse based on the Mad Doctor)

Dining:

Shops:

Entertainment:

Melody Meadows

Attractions:

- Mickey and the Beanstalk

- Professor Owl’s Lessons in Music ( a la Tiki Room but themed to Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom and focuses on teaching about music)

- The Old Mill

- Farmyard Symphony (board tractors and ride around the farm from the silly symphony short)

- Flowers and Trees Dancing Spree (spinner flat ride based on the silly symphony short)

- Peter and the Wolf

Dining:

Shops:

Entertainment:

Walt’s Symphony

Attractions:

- The Band Concert

- Mickey’s Philharmagic

- A Symposium on Popular Songs(an audio animatronic show hosted by Ludwig Von Drake featuring a motion-based theater moving to various types of music)

- Silly Symphony Gardens (a labyrinth featuring scenes from shorts like the ugly duckling, the three little pigs, the tortoise and the hare, merbabies etc.)

- Adventures in Music (one of the park's signature rides based on the opening scenes from Fantasia and the principles and art of music)

Dining:

- The Sherman Brothers Café

Shops:

Entertainment:

- Soundsational Parade

- Philharmonica

Perotin Square(based on classical music and composers)

Attractions:

- The Aristocats(a dark ride combining Ratatouille Adventure and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride through the events of the movie, focus on the soundtrack and songs)

- Symphonia(the classical mountain coaster I told you about in the first draft)

- Maestro(an interactive attraction in which Guests control the musical instruments and like a composer instruct the orchestra)

Dining:

- Symphony of Sandwiches

- Vivaldi Gelato

Shops:

- Music Emporium

Entertainment:

Tone and Mood Isle(based on the tones and moods of music, very abstract yet highly themed to instruments, musical notes and the emotions behind music)

Attractions:

- Panic Peak(a rollercoaster based on the powerful pieces of music and notorious tunes from famous Disney scenes(e.g. Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Pinocchio and the Black Cauldron))

- Impressio ( another signature ride of the park that captures the emotions behind the music. This dark ride is the great movie ride of music and simulates feelings by abstract images, light effects and mood setters)

- Stream of Tranquility (a slow boat ride similar to Voyage to the Crystal Grotto at Shanghai Disneyland. Cruise through grottos and garden like atmospheres based on famous musical pieces. Fountains will dance, lights and colors will shine and other effects will immerse you further into this relaxing adventure)

- Suspense (a drop tower attraction based on very suspenseful pieces of music like Mozart's Requiem, Verdi's Requiem and Carl Orff's O Fortuna)

- Festival of Joy (a spinner flat ride based on joyful pieces of music like Bach's Minuet and Badinerie, Strauss' Tritsch-Tratsch Polka and Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite)

Dining:

Shops:

Entertainment:

Ideas without name or location:
- Park-wide transportation attraction

Opinions? At this point, what would you leave in and what would you leave out? Ideas?

PerGron

A really minor idea, but I've always loved the ideas of a streetmosphere group that does impromptou rap battles in the streets (in my personal ideas it'd go in a music land at Hollywood Studios but maybe I'll tackle that eventually if I ever get back to my own parks again) but it'd be a fun idea, especially if they got ideas from guests and had to rap the topic they were given.

orlando678-

Original Poster
A really minor idea, but I've always loved the ideas of a streetmosphere group that does impromptou rap battles in the streets (in my personal ideas it'd go in a music land at Hollywood Studios but maybe I'll tackle that eventually if I ever get back to my own parks again) but it'd be a fun idea, especially if they got ideas from guests and had to rap the topic they were given.
Streetmosphere shows will be very important in this music theme park. Just like animal kingdom offers animals, epcot offers innovation exhibits and magic kingdom offers characters, this park will really focus on musical shows and something like you mentioned could always fit in, we just have to think of a land that it fits in with, because we don't really have a rap or hip hop themed area right now. maybe something like an acapella group would fit better?

orlando678-

Original Poster
I don’t know if you remember Toontown Online but something like
latest

Might be really cool looking in the park
I found this video of a trackless dark ride called Symbolica at the Efteling in the Netherlands and if you skip forward to 4:25 in the video you see an enchanted moving organ that could also be part of the inspiration for our organ, combining the style from Toontown Online and the Symbolica one.

mickeyfan5534

Hmm I was thinking about a combination of soundsational and jubilation, but if we can find a way to make MSEP more music-themed, then why not
Why not both? I’m all for a daytime and nighttime parade. However the most definite thing for a daytime parade would need to be having Professor Owl from the old Sing Along Songs and Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom as the host

orlando678-

Original Poster
Why not both? I’m all for a daytime and nighttime parade. However the most definite thing for a daytime parade would need to be having Professor Owl from the old Sing Along Songs and Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom as the host
True! Totally agree! I also think that the golden harp from Mickey and the Beanstalk would be a natural fit to be featured.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom