The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

FoozieBear

I doubt it'll be as bad as Frozen in Norway. It doesn't sound like a total takeover, but it sounds like it's an additional experience to attract young visitors to want to visit the attraction, which by my assumption doesn't get a lot of visitors. If Sam the Eagle is the one that introduces kids to American history and draws attention back to The Hall of Presidents, isn't that something we should be celebrating? It's an attraction that needs attention, and maybe the Muppets can help it with that.

MotherOfBirds

For the record, I do not want HoP altered, nor did I want Maelstrom to be, but let's not blow this out of proportion. Are we all sick to death of overlays and bastardizations of older rides in lieu of new attractions? Yes. Does this represent a disturbing recent trend at TDO that we're all hoping to [insert deity here] will not reach any further than it already has? Yes. But this would not be the worst thing to happen at WDW.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
For the record, I do not want HoP altered, nor did I want Maelstrom to be, but let's not blow this out of proportion. Are we all sick to death of overlays and bastardizations of older rides in lieu of new attractions? Yes. Does this represent a disturbing recent trend at TDO that we're all hoping to [insert deity here] will not reach any further than it already has? Yes. But this would not be the worst thing to happen at WDW.
In your opinion. Other people feel, obviously, differently.

PhotoDave219

That right there is the problem: The bastardizations of older rides in lieu of new attractions.

Magenta Panther

I'm 100% on board with a Sam Eagle barker plussing for the HoP. I think some of y'all need to loosen up; this is a fantastic magical kingdom, not Colonial Williamsburg. It would also be great if this heralded the return of barker parrot outside of PotC.

"Plussing" is hardly the appropriate word here. I won't use the appropriate word in case children are reading this. ;) And the fantasy you're thinking of is not part of Liberty Square. The fantasy that is part of it is the idea that you've stepped back in time to early American history. It's not in the same realm as Cinderella Castle. Or haven't you ever noticed that it's somewhat lacking in pixie dust?

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I have no dog in this fight. I understand both sides of this issue. However. It seems to me that a large number of posters in this thread adamantly prefer an iconic-but-sparsely-attended attraction over the exact same, but better attended, attraction, albeit with a muppet on the roof. I mean isn't this kind of a forest-for-the-trees situation? Thematic purity won't matter a lick on the day that Disney decides HOP no longer justifies its upkeep.

NearTheEars

Putting The Muppets in Liberty Square is a terrible idea. Period.

As conceieved and executed, Liberty Square, like Main Street and Frontierland, is meant to showcase a time in history and offer experiences that tie into the modern conceptions of what themes and locations resonate with that time period. Liberty Square is about early American history, and originally all buildings, shops and restaurants offered samples of life in those days, within the framework of a clean, family friendly enviroment. A silversmith, a tavern, shipyard, colonial mansion, Liberty Tree, tricorn hat shop, fife and drum corps and a government structure based on Independence Hall with the date of the constitution on it. It's no accident that The Hall of Presidents is located in the centre of the land. Though it features moments in history beyond the 1790s, the underlining themes (The Consitution, democarcy etc) are rooted in the values planted in the same time as those Liberty Trees. [If you're wondering how The Haunted Mansion fits into all of this, I suggest this article written on the subject].

A character like Sam the Eagle (let alone the rest of The Muppets), has nothing to do with any of these themes. His "patriotism" is largely played for laughs, and his existance has nothing to do with the values or time period of Liberty Square, even from a modern interpretation like Johnny Tremain. If built, the attraction/show may be cute in its own right, but it would represent another failure on the part of Disney's current corporate and creative culture to respect the groundwork that was laid for them but their predecessors. I'm not saying nothing in Liberty Square should ever change, but there are better options for the land than the work of Jim Henson.

This is the kind of "creative" thinking that gets put out on twitter by fans who have no background in design or knowledge of the company's history. Now people are paid an annual salary and are actively encouraged by upper management to think up these concepts because the underlining goal of Walt Synergy World is pushing brands, and not creating quality themed experiences that can stand on their own merit or support established design principles. Once again, Disney is imitating its competitor by beliving that theme parks are where people go to "ride the movies".

If you love this idea and think its cool, it's because you are a Disney movie fan or Muppet fan first and of theme parks second or third. It's a shame that The Magic Kingdom, a park so carefully mapped out from both a physical and conceptual standpoint continues to be chipped away by a lack of originality rooted in shameless self promotion.

[/rant]

You make some good points.

Curious if you think Mickey should be removed from town square theatre, as well as the other characters that meet in the center as they have no connection to the theme of Main Street. Your post brought that to mind.

I'll wait to judge this move until I see what they've actually come up with. I'm hoping this is a small supplement, and will not overpower the theme of the land.

"Plussing" is hardly the appropriate word here. I won't use the appropriate word in case children are reading this. ;) And the fantasy you're thinking of is not part of Liberty Square. The fantasy that is part of it is the idea that you've stepped back in time to early American history. It's not in the same realm as Cinderella Castle. Or haven't you ever noticed that it's somewhat lacking in pixie dust?

And there's a ghost horse around the corner and a sternwheeler from the future parked down on the river... there's obviously some license to be taken.

I understand your qualms about thematic purity. I suppose I'll reserve judgment until we see the final product. But if it draws kids in to learn a little history, it can't be all that bad. I'm just starving for ANYTHING actually NEW in the stagnant state of affairs in Florida.

Sped2424

I still cannot believe there is credibility to this rumor. It speaks volumes about our current state of affairs in the company when an attraction devoted to our very own serious and compelling history is being considered to be redone with muppets. Do I love the muppets? Yes. Would I love to see Sam the eagle being campy and talking about american history with reenactments and other muppets being presidents? Of course. Would I enjoy this attraction over HoP? Probably. Does that justify this idea enough to kill HoP and further tie in an IP to a land that did not need one? Hell NO. The minute we bastardize our own history in a land that sought to teach us about it is the minute things get scary. I mean the idea of replacing the HoP with muppets just sounds offensive to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom